PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 14, 17:32:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  The Irony
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Irony  (Read 11563 times)
slickchick
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 23, 17:43:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

when u delete it from buy/build mode wouldn't u be deleting the mesh because u can't delete specific recolors? i deleted a ton of objects and skins yesterday. i didn't bother to check my dl folder to see if the objects i deleted in b/b mode were actually gone. it was just too much stuff to do that. i just hoped and assumed it would all be gone.
tgriffy
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 23, 17:47:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I understand it (and I am NOT the expert here), the meshes remain in the downloads folder.  As a matter of fact, you can delete specific recolors of a given item.  Presumably the reason for keeping the meshes is in case you download another item that requires it.

Tim
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 23, 17:58:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "tgriffy"
I believe that when you delete an item in buy/build mode it is permanently deleted from the downloads folder.  However, if there was a mesh as part of the file, that might still be in there.  That is also the same with Body Shop items.

Tim

I've set my downloads folder to read only so I won't accidentally delete content (something I've done before). Instead, I use SimPe and the Object Categorizer from Paladin to identify objects I no longer want or need and remove them. It's not as easy, but it does keep me aware of what's in the downloads folder and where it's at.
tgriffy
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 23, 18:05:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I keep the original archive files so if I accidentally delete something I can just reinstall it.  I usually only use the Object Categorizer to set more realistic prices for objects when the creators do something like pricing the item for one Simolean.  When I do delete items purposely, I'll use Delphy's Download Organizer to get rid of the orphaned meshes that are left behind.

Tim
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 23, 18:21:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "armywife"
If Calalily didn't ream your ass, and she says your interesting, you should stay.  She's never told me I was interesting....*ponders*   :?

Threaten to leave, and I might beg on my knees  :lol:

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
slickchick
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #20 on: 2007 September 23, 19:00:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ok u guys are getting real technical. so in other words all that crap i thought i deleted yesterstay in b/b mode is still in my dl's folder?Huh ARRRRR! and DAMMIT!
tgriffy
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #21 on: 2007 September 23, 19:07:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "slickchick"
ok u guys are getting real technical. so in other words all that crap i thought i deleted yesterstay in b/b mode is still in my dl's folder?Huh ARRRRR! and DAMMIT!

Yes.  No.  Maybe.

Basically, it depends on whether the things you deleted in build/buy mode required a mesh which was also downloaded.  If so, then you still have some things in your download folder you may not want.  Get Delphy's Download Organizer at Mod the Sims 2 and look for "orphaned" items.  That will be the leftover stuff you want to delete.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=227925

Tim
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #22 on: 2007 September 23, 19:21:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's iffy because people also build their files (packages) differently.  What you think you're deleting is just a recolor but sometimes the recolor is in the mesh file and so the object and recolors get deleted.  This is not the norm though.. most are separate.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
slickchick
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #23 on: 2007 September 23, 19:35:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

will do - thanks for the link, tim. my dl folder is completely out of control right now. and finding this site is not going to help the situation at all! i think i spend more time downloading stuff than i do playing the game. which is kinda pathetic when u think about it.

yes, angelica i have noticed that. sometimes one file will have all the colors, sometimes mesh and colors are separate. i understand now. i'm pissed for all the click click clicking i did last night thinking i deleted stuff. looks like i gave myself pre-carpal tunnel for nothing.  :x
tgriffy
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #24 on: 2007 September 23, 19:38:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "slickchick"
will do - thanks for the link, tim. my dl folder is completely out of control right now. and finding this site is not going to help the situation at all! i think i spend more time downloading stuff than i do playing the game. which is kinda pathetic when u think about it.

You're welcome.  I sometimes have the same problem doing more downloading than playing the game myself.  I decided to do things differently.  Now I play my neighborhoods for a week (game time) then start looking for new things to download.  After a couple weeks (real time) I'm usually good to go.

Tim
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
The Irony
« Reply #25 on: 2007 September 23, 19:40:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i want to add some recommendations:

1. If you use Delphy's organizer, don't delete outright...move the possible offenders to a folder on your desktop until you're sure. I lost valuable stuff that way. But it is good for separating the items into categories for you...which helps with....

2. ...organizing your downloads: some of us get hog-wild with subfolders by creator/set, others just simply go clothing, hacks, build, buy, etc. However you do it, do it...it will help when having to isolate problems or clean out unused stuff.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #26 on: 2007 September 23, 19:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has Delphy fixed the issue where recolors of Maxis meshes were labeled as orphans?  I never heard an answer to that..

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
slickchick
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #27 on: 2007 September 23, 19:54:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ok.

that's the biggest issue with my dl folder. i don't have any subfolders. it's got to be over 1000 files in one big undiscernible lump. and i even removed the dl's that came with subs. *shaking head* the only files that are in a sub are jmp's hacks. and i only did that because i was initially afraid of them. i like jmp - we have the same initials.

i have a huge job ahead of me guys. Sad thanks for the guidance.
JFederated
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #28 on: 2007 September 23, 20:04:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definitely start a subfolder system, it can be a sanity saver.

And I had thought that deleting custom objects only deleted the mesh and not the recolors.  The way to delete them all is to place the object on a lot, use the Design Tool to choose, then delete one by one the recolors until you are only left with the base/mesh object.  Then delete that from the catalog.  That's how I've been doing it anyway.  I have a Recolor folder still far too full from when I didn't do the above.  And I have no idea what most are for or from.

I still have every dang .zip/.rar I've ever downloaded in a file on my desktop, but starting over completely sounds better and better all the time.  Clothes and hair are a total chore to delete from the game if you don't know which they are in your DL folder.  :cry:

Bring me a bag of Bigfoot droppings or SHUT UP!  --  Prof. Hubert Farnsworth
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
The Irony
« Reply #29 on: 2007 September 23, 20:11:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hecubus"
i want to add some recommendations:
2. ...organizing your downloads: some of us get hog-wild with subfolders by creator/set, others just simply go clothing, hacks, build, buy, etc. However you do it, do it...it will help when having to isolate problems or clean out unused stuff.

That would me going hog-wild! I loved organizing my downloads folder! However, after reading that too many subfolders can cause lags, I'm moving towards a more simple system; each creator gets only one folder.

It's been hard letting go of the old system... :cry: ... as my downloads folder was organized beyond belief (who am I kidding? it was a work of ART, dammit!).  But I'm going to give this new way a try and see how it works out. The upside being if I don't like it, I get to organize everything all over again (yes!).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: