PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 15:22:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Sims 2 on Wikipedia
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sims 2 on Wikipedia  (Read 26280 times)
Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #15 on: 2006 November 16, 20:45:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"
Edit 2. Plum, you rock, even if you have a very annoying avatar.

...Says the one with the zombiewtfbaby head.   Tongue

postergirl
Landlubber

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #16 on: 2006 November 16, 20:56:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awhile ago, that snippet actually linked here to PMBD and I remember that distinctly because it's the whole reason I even found the site. I wonder who removed the link  :roll:

size=9]why we all gotta look, gotta act the same? i say, if you're born a lion don't bother trying to act tame.[/size]
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #17 on: 2006 November 16, 22:39:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found out about PSMBD because people on S2C were bitching about it and mentioned JM, so I hopped on over to MATY and found my way over here.  Cool

I don't trust much coming from the Wiki.
Keijra
ARR!

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #18 on: 2006 November 16, 22:42:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found this site by following Pescado's sig on Insimenator.

I never bother with Wiki.
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #19 on: 2006 November 16, 22:50:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find it funny that people who will not give out the link to the site at all or allow it's name to be mentioned (Like Mrs. Retail Sim), will go and mention Pescado's name like a million times, as if one could not just Google it and with minimal brain usage figure out the way to the site.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Noodle
Landlubber

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #20 on: 2006 November 16, 23:14:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fun of Wiki is that it you never know what you are gonna get.  The last few sentances of this paragraph has changed again..that would be the fourth time in the last few hours   :lol:   I don't know who put the original stuff in about retail sims but that is my favorite version.
idtaminger
ARR!

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #21 on: 2006 November 16, 23:23:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since Wikipedia's so editable, you might as well have someone update it maybe once/a few times a day w/ the info. Any one person whom it spreads to can tell their friends!

===Custom Content Controversy===
There has been some controversy as to whether paysites can legally charge for custom content since the EA license agreement states "You may include materials created with the Tools & Materials on your personal noncommercial website for the noncommercial benefit of the fan community for EA's products"[6]. Protest sites such as http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org have started offering pay items from other websites for free stating that those websites are the ones that are illegal per EA games license agreement.[6]. The fact that paysites may not be legal and that other websites are offering these payfiles for free is subject to censorship on many of the fan communities The first casualty of the paysite controversy was popular site retailsims.com [7] who after closing urged other paysites to also close in protest.

Just copy and paste! Wink
Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #22 on: 2006 November 16, 23:27:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
I found out about PSMBD because people on S2C were bitching about it and mentioned JM, so I hopped on over to MATY and found my way over here.  Cool

Haha, me too.

Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #23 on: 2006 November 16, 23:48:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"
I find it funny that people who will not give out the link to the site at all or allow it's name to be mentioned (Like Mrs. Retail Sim), will go and mention Pescado's name like a million times, as if one could not just Google it and with minimal brain usage figure out the way to the site.

Yeah, but a lot of these people seem kinda slow, so there you have it.
Noodle
Landlubber

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #24 on: 2006 November 16, 23:49:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Love it idtaminger  Cheesy
mistersassypants
Landlubber

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #25 on: 2006 November 16, 23:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The wiki format is easy to use and the fact that they allow users to edit/add articles means the database grows and grows so there's basically nothing you can't find there.  What sucks is the bias.

Quote from: "Sherry"

I think the thing is with the not mentioning the site or giving out the URL but screaming usernames in all caps has a lot to do with stupidity but not in the way you're thinking.  I don't know what the download traffic is like here but the fact that there are less than a thousand registered members at the forums tells me that the average simmer just isn't internet savvy enough to figure this stuff out for themselves.  They have to be pointed.  So if you leave out things like the sites name they won't think to google Pescado's name.  That lj post in TS2 community had a post like that.  Someone mentioned that PMBD wasn't the only one and mentioned SFV by name.  Someone actually asked where it was.  As if google doesn't work?

If your average simmer wasn't much smarter than a box of used tissues, there wouldn't be a market for paysites.

vast me harties!  Thar be TREASURE in these waters!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #26 on: 2006 November 16, 23:54:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't vandalize the Wiki, people. Tongue

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #27 on: 2006 November 17, 00:18:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a paragraph under the Custom Content section. I don't see how this bears any relevance to The Sims 2 article. I don't mind if its briefly mentioned, but this seems like a publicity stunt largely on the fansites closing in protest.

Explanation, please. Sillygostly

It strikes me as a way of getting exposure for the sites involved - by having the links included in the "controversy". I don't like the paragraph, but what do you folks think? Robovski 23:49, 14 November 2006 (UTC)

It bears relevance to The Sims 2 custom content section though. It's a main topic discussed in many of the custom content communities and is notable since The Sims community is one of the few, in fact the only one I'm aware of, that charges for user content. It defiantly needs to stay in some form and as it is right now it's only about 3 sentences which seems fine to me. I don’t see how it could be made anymore brief than that. I could see trimming it down if it was a huge paragraph but it’s not. It also only links to three websites. http://www.retailsims.com/ is notable since it’s the only website to shut down and http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/ is also notable since it is leading the attack against paysites and http://thesims2.ea.com/ which is just a reference as well.--Carmilla 00:11, 16 November 2006 (UTC)

The cited sources really don't meet Wikipedia's Reliable Sources guidelines. These "community fights" happen all of the time. They're often biased and they're not really encyclopedic. If it's covered in detail a major newspaper or two, it may become notable, but it's not anywear near notable. A great example of something similar that is actually notable was the "Sims Online Mafia" story. It was covered in many major TVs and newspapers. --Kunzite 01:43, 16 November 2006 (UTC)

There was something on fandomwank, but that's not exactly a newspaper. Frankly, I doubt the papers care, so it will never become notable- even though almost everyone in the custom content community knows about it and hotly debates it. I'm in favor of leaving a few sentences in at the least. Kuronue 14:58, 16 November 2006 (UTC)

Sez the discussion page...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #28 on: 2006 November 17, 00:19:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "mistersassypants"

I think the thing is with the not mentioning the site or giving out the URL but screaming usernames in all caps has a lot to do with stupidity but not in the way you're thinking.  I don't know what the download traffic is like here but the fact that there are less than a thousand registered members at the forums tells me that the average simmer just isn't internet savvy enough to figure this stuff out for themselves.  They have to be pointed.  So if you leave out things like the sites name they won't think to google Pescado's name.  That lj post in TS2 community had a post like that.  Someone mentioned that PMBD wasn't the only one and mentioned SFV by name.  Someone actually asked where it was.  As if google doesn't work?

If your average simmer wasn't much smarter than a box of used tissues, there wouldn't be a market for paysites.

Good point.

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
Sims 2 on Wikipedia
« Reply #29 on: 2006 November 17, 05:57:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Plum"
Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"
Edit 2. Plum, you rock, even if you have a very annoying avatar.

...Says the one with the zombiewtfbaby head.   Tongue

My avatar disturbs me also. Yours disturbs me in a different, more disturbing way.

I'll change mine if you change yours.  :wink:

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: