PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 10:17:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  The real cost...results might suprise you
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The real cost...results might suprise you  (Read 27455 times)
Yaardarm Monkey
ARR!

View Profile
Re: The real cost...results might suprise you
« Reply #30 on: 2007 May 25, 04:33:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Hekima"

Yeah...but then there's the part about giving people like Atwa and Bunteh your bucks.

I guess it's better than banging them, though.

:shock:  

ummm....having sex with them is kinda not on the agenda

:twisted:
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Re: The real cost...results might suprise you
« Reply #31 on: 2007 May 25, 05:02:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Yaardarm Monkey"
Quote from: "Hekima"

Yeah...but then there's the part about giving people like Atwa and Bunteh your bucks.

I guess it's better than banging them, though.

:shock:  

ummm....having sex with them is kinda not on the agenda

:twisted:

:shock: Thanks for the nightmares...  :shock:

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
The real cost...results might suprise you
« Reply #32 on: 2007 May 25, 05:15:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, always with the assumptions.

"omg r ne ov u guyz cretors?Huh?  cuz tey spend a lo of time on their crations!!!!!!!  thy shuld get payd for there hrd wrk and ur steelign it!!!!  u jst dun undrstnd!!!!!"

And now we have, "Unless you're a parent, you don't know pain.  You just don't understand."
count four
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 May 25, 07:37:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anybody know how many items (objects, clothes, hair, eyes, skin tones, walls, floors, etc.) there are in, say, the base game?

'Cause I think it'd be an interesting comparison (this is the kind of thing I think of while brushing my teeth) to calculate how much it would cost to buy The Sims 2 if EA Games priced it by pay site methods.

If I knew the number of items in the base game, or even how the hell I would search that to find out in less than an hour (hello, my name is Count Four and I am google impaired), I'd do the math. But it's already 3:30 a.m. The Carla Niven saga has kept me up way past my bedtime.
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 May 25, 13:09:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "count four"
Does anybody know how many items (objects, clothes, hair, eyes, skin tones, walls, floors, etc.) there are in, say, the base game?

'Cause I think it'd be an interesting comparison (this is the kind of thing I think of while brushing my teeth) to calculate how much it would cost to buy The Sims 2 if EA Games priced it by pay site methods.

Yes, that would be very interesting to compare the two...but I dont see anyone counting them all up. Sims1 EPs used to say how many new items are included on them...cant see that on my Sims2 Pets EP =/ (then again pets was a rubbish ep, dont get me started on it) But if you worked out how each individual set costs on an EP, and compare it with a set from a paysite, I bet that the EP set is at least 10 times smaller...probably a lot smaller

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

Hekima
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 May 25, 15:57:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry. This is what happens when I see seemingly inconspicuous phrases like "bang for your buck." Tongue

emember: The phrase "free gift" is redundant.
rickets
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 May 29, 15:32:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The threads are so fluid.  Where to ask a question about Vita Sims?  Why not here.

I went to Vita Sims and was too dim to find the strange pay celebrities.  Are they still there or has she pulled the money makers?  

When I do a Google big brother search I get this:  "The requested URL /sims2_celebrity.htm was not found on this server."
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 May 29, 16:38:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "rickets"
I went to Vita Sims and was too dim to find the strange pay celebrities.  Are they still there or has she pulled the money makers?

Just looked through her/his site and they're gone!  Well, look what you guys have done.  All your bitching about them finally had them pulled. ;p

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Broomhilda
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 May 30, 15:16:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Chelle"
Quote from: "redisenchanted"
Quote from: "FreetobeJulie"
Quote from: "Lilyroseisapirate"
good point on the sim squirts site. i get a fucking guilt trip when i get booty from that site lol, she just had like a 1 pound baby, STILL no excuse! (yea i know, a baby and paysites have nothin to do with each other, but that kid was lucky to have survived and what can i say, i have a very big place in my heart for kids)

You had me LOL.  :lol: That's what I was thinking.  I was mesmerized by her slideshow of her "one-pound baby" and I almost donated.  WTF?  Is she usin' her chilluns to make money?  :roll:   She's pretty clever if she's trying to guilt us into opening our wallets for one last time.  But I've never "donated" to a sims site like that and I won't start now.

I gotta say that's just sick! The last thing anyone with a seriously ill child should be doing is sitting in front of a computer, making sims stuff. And to use that child to try to get money from people. That's just repulsive. To be cynical, how do we know that it's even true? Remember Donna's "tragic death"?

I know Carrie, personally. It's true. Aidan was one sick little boy. She quit making stuff for Sims after she went into premature labor brought on by preeclampsia (which half of you can't even SPELL, much less know what it is) and had Aidan. She didn't use him to get money from people. To say she did is sick. Unless you've sat beside an isolette in a NICU for nine weeks, you'll never know what she's gone through. The fact that Aidan is ALIVE is a miracle.

I'm against paysites. But I'm also against defaming other people, especially when I know them. Until some of you become parents, you'll never know the terror, the heartbreak of having a baby that sick. And even after you do become parents, I hope you don't know that heartbreak.

UMM, My daughter has autism, and I don't post pictures of her all over the fucking internet. Just my 2 pennies.

url=http://www.freewebs.com/moneybetterspent/]Money Better Spent[/url]
Sabi
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 June 07, 15:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Chelle"
I know Carrie, personally. It's true. Aidan was one sick little boy. She quit making stuff for Sims after she went into premature labor brought on by preeclampsia (which half of you can't even SPELL, much less know what it is) and had Aidan. She didn't use him to get money from people. To say she did is sick. Unless you've sat beside an isolette in a NICU for nine weeks, you'll never know what she's gone through. The fact that Aidan is ALIVE is a miracle.

I'm against paysites. But I'm also against defaming other people, especially when I know them. Until some of you become parents, you'll never know the terror, the heartbreak of having a baby that sick. And even after you do become parents, I hope you don't know that heartbreak.

If you know Carrie personally, then why are you here trying to 'destroy' her paysite by downloading her content here and not paying the 35 bucks to help out her baby?  :shock: I just don't understand!

Oh, and what she did, posting a picture of 'her' sick baby on a site to the world, makes me think of a guy I saw on the street the other day. He was dressed in homeless attire and had his three kids standing out in the street with him asking for free handouts. He is just trying to manipulate the psyche of the people driving by, saying that 'If you don't give me money, then you are making my children starve.' No, you are the one doing that, by not getting a real job. Sorry if I got a little off subject.

And oh yeah... down to pay sites! lol
Capucine
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2007 June 07, 16:15:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can I just say a bit fat 'Fuck, YES' to your avatar, Sabi? Want.

size=9]Rum is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of The Sims Community.[/size]

The cake is a rich, moist and delicious lie.
Duckie
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 2007 June 07, 16:51:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "calalily"

I'm a parent of a disabled child, so there's no reason to tell me I don't know this problem.  And don't treat us like idiots concerning preeclampsia until you can tell me what a sacral region myelomeningocele is.

A form of spina bifida. I think that's all that needs to be said because I certainly am not going to treat you like an idiot. (But, seeing as I answered your question, I reserve the right to do so in the future...  *runs* )

As for a sick infant, all I'm going to say is she's not the only one. It's damned arrogant to think she is. Some things just shouldn't be plastered on a commercial site. It's tacky.

That aside, I did "Ooh and Aah" over the baby. I adore babies and he is so cute!

b]DerailedSims2 ~ Money Better Spent![/b]
(Derailed's been updated!)
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2007 June 08, 01:54:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "evilredduckie"
Quote from: "calalily"

I'm a parent of a disabled child, so there's no reason to tell me I don't know this problem.  And don't treat us like idiots concerning preeclampsia until you can tell me what a sacral region myelomeningocele is.

A form of spina bifida. I think that's all that needs to be said because I certainly am not going to treat you like an idiot. (But, seeing as I answered your question, I reserve the right to do so in the future...  *runs* )

You win a prize!  You win another prize if you knew it, but didn't look it up.

And you better run!

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
capnjacksparrow
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 June 08, 02:22:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Our winner? Vita Sims. Expect to pay $401.20 US for all 85 sets.

ZOMG!  :shock:

Just to think.. somewhere out there is someone who paid that much. And likely there's one who did who's also complained that Maxis charges too much for their EPs.

I gotta say that's just sick! The last thing anyone with a seriously ill child should be doing is sitting in front of a computer, making sims stuff.

Well, I can see making Sims stuff in your downtime but I gotta agree with the other person who said that when you have said sick child that you're not likely to have much time to put into making stuff, testing it, taking screenshots, zipping them up, coding them into a website, promoting the website, hanging out on forums pimping the site, aaand still have time left over to make heart-tugging anims of your sick baby to rake in more donations. It does smell a little fishy. No, I don't have sick kids... I have 3 very healthy ones and as such, I barely have time to play the Sims much less make stuff for them. It's the reason you don't see me around here more: When I do have free time I tend to prefer to spend it playing the Sims rather than talking about them.

And to use that child to try to get money from people. That's just repulsive.

The perverse witticist in me can't help pointing out that charities have been using sick/underpriveledged children for years-n-years to milk the public for donations. :mrgreen:
ksstrek
Landlubber

View Profile
cost of paysites
« Reply #44 on: 2007 December 15, 16:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am a newbie here and I am wondering.. Exactly how much does it cost to keep a website open?

Simsquirts was one of my favorite places for toddlers clothes and kid and nursery bedding. Most of the site was free. I only paid once for a download and it was labled a donation set. It cost me $5.00. I didn't think that was too outrageous because I periodically donate to the other sites I visit to help keep them afloat, and most of what I downloaded was free. Simsquirts closed after she brought her baby home from the hospital and didn't have time to make more donation items so her donations stopped and she couldn't afford the cost of keeping the site open according to the email I got from her..

Sooo...while I think it is outrageous to charge a subscriber upward of 5-10 dollars a month to subscribe (TSR comes to mind here and eclectic sims), to play the devil's advocate for a second, what is a reasonable request to help defray the cost of keeping a website open?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: