PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 02:18:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Why does fun things have to turn nasty?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Why does fun things have to turn nasty?  (Read 43666 times)
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
Why does fun things have to turn nasty?
« Reply #180 on: 2007 May 13, 12:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pirate Gem"
Quote from: "Pescado"
Quote from: "Bigtruckgirl"
I'm still trying to figure out what they(all paysites) are  actually attempting to copyright and how they intend to enforce it. I realize all this will be lost as our troll has flown the coupe, maybe they need to read the actual US copyright office web site.

Besides, the FBI doesn't have jurisdiction here in Malaysia, anyway.

I cant tell you how many times I've heard people use the FBI for an excuse for trying to "win an argument"

Especially when they are (sometimes?) smart enough to realize that the person they are threatening cannot be touched by the FBI lal.

I think the only time that the FBI were involved here in Australia, was when some bad people were looking at pictures they should not be looking at.

And to be honest, would the FBI really give a damn about a bunch of tax avoiding, law breaking paysites who obviously have more questions to answer then you can fill into those horrible little form boxes you get? (Not seriously ofc)

EXAMPLE:

Please answer why you screw over people for money:

their answer:

_i liek moneyz____________

or something

Pes, I would have brought up Malaysia as a second point if she had ever come back to answer what in the world they were copyrighting in the first place. Sad thing is here in the US people think they can threaten the FBI or Copyright law to anyone they want to "scare" into doing what they want. Much like they do the DMCA to other forums I am part of, which acts as an addendum to the US copyright act of 1976.

Pirate Gem what I think most of these trolls, paysite owners, "we do it for the chillun" people don't understand is that each country has their own laws and enforcement of such laws, and one countries laws can't usurp the other. In addition for the US, we have to be dealing with a country that we have enforcement agreements with in order to do anything. Malaysia and I believe Russia (and former soviet block countries) and most of the Asiatic countries are ones we don't have such an arrangement with. "We" (meaning the US FBI and law enforcement) in any case, even if we have an agreement, can only request from the country the person is in and the site is operated from, to do something about it. It is always up to that other country to actually go knock on that door. If they have no laws against what someone is doing, then the FBI is SOL.  (I love acronyms. :lol: )

The US copyright law in its pure form as adapted in 1976 does not allow for digital media in the way the Internet has brought it to people all over the world. The closest thing in the copyright act that could even loosely pertain to Sims2 created files is maybe the "art" clause in which case once it is put out "for hire" the "owner/purchaser" becomes the copyright holder, or the "intellectual property" clause in which case it must be an original piece of work (and we all know that having an original piece of work in Sims is rare because Maxis/EA created most, if not all of the meshes people modify to get the objects.). Copyright law is not what they should site, the DMCA is what they should site, but even that only loosely pertains to what they are doing and is still not enforceable in countries we have no agreement with.  

HideTheRum, I shall refrain from articulation from now on until all have had a chance to have fun with the cute little furry trolls.     :lol:

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
prattle
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2007 May 13, 23:17:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nina"

I know this is a bit different but lets start selling WoW/any other game -POSTCARDS- printed from the game and see what happens. lol.

Too bad EA is lazy... I'll laugh the day EA decides to put a stop to them.

Just to get more off-topic....
I've seen quite a few pictures of items of questionable origin (bootleg DVDs and fireworks come to mind) that have WoW promotional artwork on them, even though the actual product has nothing to do with WoW. Blizzard (the company that runs WoW) does have a legal team that has sent people cease-and-desist orders for much less, and been known to sue, but short of nuking China I don't think they can stop every misuse of their work.

EA, on the other hand, is just lazy.
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2007 May 14, 00:14:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's laziness so much as that there is no real benefit to them taking a side. One of the reasons that the Sims is so popular is because it allows user created content. People like it because to a certain extent they can shape the game as they see fit. While they can bring their lawyers down on paysites (and trust me, I'm sure EA's legal team is just as lawsuit heavy as Blizzard's), it serves no useful purpose to take a side and alienate customers.
You still have to buy the game to use paysites' products, and according to EA, technically anything made for in game use belongs to them and they can use and take it as they see fit (thinking of the stuff packs, I'm sure we've all seen some very familiar content in those, yes?).
callmeird
ARR!

Janeway: More Awesome Than YOU

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2007 May 14, 03:33:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "mando"
I don't think it's laziness so much as that there is no real benefit to them taking a side. One of the reasons that the Sims is so popular is because it allows user created content. People like it because to a certain extent they can shape the game as they see fit. While they can bring their lawyers down on paysites (and trust me, I'm sure EA's legal team is just as lawsuit heavy as Blizzard's), it serves no useful purpose to take a side and alienate customers.
You still have to buy the game to use paysites' products, and according to EA, technically anything made for in game use belongs to them and they can use and take it as they see fit (thinking of the stuff packs, I'm sure we've all seen some very familiar content in those, yes?).

But what do Blizzard gain from suing people who sell stuff with an orc's face on it? It's just free publicity. Sure, people are making money off of their artwork, but aren't paysite owners doing the same thing?

yarr yarr hump hump!

HystericalParoxysm: Pretty sure the last argument the paysites have to stand on is "Waaah, you're mean!" now.

Pescado: Ah, but I know how to defuse that one easily:

"Yes. Yes, I am."
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2007 May 14, 04:52:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The items mentioned above do not require any Blizzard products or programs to function. I'll show the quote so that you know what I'm referring to:
Quote from: "prattle"

I've seen quite a few pictures of items of questionable origin (bootleg DVDs and fireworks come to mind) that have WoW promotional artwork on them, even though the actual product has nothing to do with WoW.

These products make money by using Blizzard's materials without having anything to do with them. Blizzard makes money selling merchandise related to their product (Warcraft, etc.), and it's hard to sell your Orc t-shirts if some shifty idiot is already doing it before you. While these products may bring new players into playing Warcraft games, it also cuts down any outside profits they may want to make. Plus in this case if you don't protect your copyrights, you stand to lose them and any profits you may make from them.

How is this different from Paysites, you ask? While, EA is likely losing some profits from paysites, they are also increasing their fanbase because paysite products require users to already own the Sims to use them. Plus at any time, EA can scoop up paysite (and freesite) materials and sell them themselves (cough, stuff packs, cough, cough). Paysites have large fanbases (unfortunately) that keep their buyers playing the Sims, and buying connected EA produced products. For example, Peggy Sims has a very large, devoted fanbase, how would these consumers react if all of a sudden EA brought the hammer down on them? It would only add to nightmares for and bad feelings towards EA, hardly something that they would like.

Ea also allows distribution of these materials non-commercially. While paysites are obviously ignoring the free part of this rule, they are still creating items that EA has given them permission to share. I'm sure EA's reaction  would be different if paysites were creating products using EA logos and slogans that they hadn't referred to as transfereable in their EULA (like t-shirts, mugs, fireworks, bootleg Sims dvds). At the moment, paysites don't really hit EA in the bank (EA creates their own custom content that consumers happily lap up), and it's better to keep both sides happy and buying their product.
Pirate Gem
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2007 May 14, 05:31:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "mando"

Ea also allows distribution of these materials non-commercially. While paysites are obviously ignoring the free part of this rule, they are still creating items that EA has given them permission to share. I'm sure EA's reaction  would be different if paysites were creating products using EA logos and slogans that they hadn't referred to as transfereable in their EULA (like t-shirts, mugs, fireworks, bootleg Sims dvds). At the moment, paysites don't really hit EA in the bank (EA creates their own custom content that consumers happily lap up), and it's better to keep both sides happy and buying their product.

One little part of me has always wondered if EA's reason for bringing out stuff packs is their own hidden way of competiting with paysites.

If you think about it, the more stuff they make you whack into your computer, the less you can download or it might conflict with your game, or cause your PC considerable amounts of lag (if you dont have a very very up to date one- heck my PC is 2 months old, and The Sims2  lags like CRAZY when I have a heap of CC on a lot, so i've cut my CC minimum to 100 files, thats spread accross all cept clothes)

~Phorum Troll Killa for hire!~~~
sherrie
ARR!

ALL DONE, kthxbai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: 2007 May 15, 01:22:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My husband has kindly offered to start up a paysite and come here so we can have a new troll to play with....

....it's ok I poisoned his coffee

CENSORSHIP: When one site is very much like another..
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2007 May 15, 08:56:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "sherrie_sim"
My husband has kindly offered to start up a paysite and come here so we can have a new troll to play with....

....it's ok I poisoned his coffee

Silly husband.
It should be a paysite with Atwa...  :wink:

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: