PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:32:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  You know the funny thing...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: You know the funny thing...  (Read 53415 times)
avic
ARR!

View Profile
You know the funny thing...
« Reply #180 on: 2006 November 14, 02:54:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"
Quote from: "Lackey"
But then it becomes commercial. I am sorry, you can argue you all you want but if your making 3,4 thousands dollars a month, that is commercial. Why is it so right for them to go against EA's rules and so wrong for us to go against theirs.

Maybe because an unconcerned EA who is not doing much about the situation is not as sympathic as a paysite owner who is trying to?

I have always been more sympathic to filesharers for that reason, here they are doing nothing wrong, wanting paysites to respect the rules of the EULA and everyone goes on about the "rights" of site owners.  Gamers have rights too.

Such as?  As a gamer, I expect to get a product that is reasonably bug free (I'd love to have one that is wholly bug-free, but ain't gonna happen) that fits the description on the box.  I also expect tech support to get my game to run on my machine if it's so bug-riddled that I can't figure it out on my own.  What other rights do/should I have?   I certainly don't have the right to custom content that some third party made on their own time without meeting whatever requirements said person attached to their creation.
avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2006 November 14, 02:56:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, Now we are off.

??  Sorry - I didn't follow this comment.  Not sure if it was directed at me or something totally different.  I need more coffee... :-)
HotNWet
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2006 November 14, 03:00:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "avic"
Ok, Now we are off.

??  Sorry - I didn't follow this comment.  Not sure if it was directed at me or something totally different.  I need more coffee... :-)

we got carried away and started talking about sfv.. the girls were just explaining to me the signing up process and stuff... it wasn't at you lol im the fuck up Sad anyways IM READING THE TIPS THERE so ima a busy girl  :lol:
Lackey
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2006 November 14, 03:03:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then it becomes commercial. I am sorry, you can argue you all you want but if your making 3,4 thousands dollars a month, that is commercial. Why is it so right for them to go against EA's rules and so wrong for us to go against theirs. I really just dont get the argument here. All I see is that we are doing what EA intended to be done and they are breaking all the rules but yet everyone gets on us in their defense. Not to mention the very clear statement that all Game content is copyright EA and EA said we can share it. I dont not see what is so hard to understand here. No one has come up with one good argument for this and for the most part has completely ignored the question all together.

Ok, stepping away now.

Yepper, I'll agree with you - it's definitely commercial.  And please don't feel I'm ignoring you, I'm not.  You've actually put me a LOT more on the fence about the custom content issue (not piracy - that's a different ball of wax).  HOWEVER, I feel strongly enough about people having the right to sell things at the price they see fit if they created it that I'd feel very hypocritical downloading from here.  But I'm very much revising my initial opinion of what THIS PARTICULAR SITE is doing (I emphasize this because as several people have pointed out, software piracy is NOT taking place).  I see both sides of the argument, and at this point I really don't feel that either party is in the right or the wrong, though I do feel certain individuals are definitely in the wrong (see a couple of my other posts on that one).

Ok back on.

I read your other post and you are right that is wrong. I respect your principles to not download and I also respect the fact that you have taken the time to at least consider the other side. Most that come here, as you have probably noticed, dont even bother to try and understand. They also have never bothered to answer the question either. Actually they come back with all this about the meshes being theirs. I will agree that they made the meshes and the meshes are theirs, right up to the point they put them online specifically for the sims 2. That is the point that they no longer become theirs and actually become Maxis. As I said there is no gray area here. It is plan and simple English and appears on every site.
I also respect a person's right to earn money. The more the better. But this is the only time that a company has allowed so many, to make so much off from copyright material. I also agree that EA allows them to and I dont have a problem with that either. The problem comes in when they start yelling that we are stealing. We have nothing here of theirs. Everything on this site belongs to Maxis/EA. We dont use their bandwidth at all. Nobody is hot linking to their files. They should not have a problem with us sharing what belongs to Maxis/EA.
HotNWet
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2006 November 14, 03:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then it becomes commercial. I am sorry, you can argue you all you want but if your making 3,4 thousands dollars a month, that is commercial. Why is it so right for them to go against EA's rules and so wrong for us to go against theirs. I really just dont get the argument here. All I see is that we are doing what EA intended to be done and they are breaking all the rules but yet everyone gets on us in their defense. Not to mention the very clear statement that all Game content is copyright EA and EA said we can share it. I dont not see what is so hard to understand here. No one has come up with one good argument for this and for the most part has completely ignored the question all together.

Ok, stepping away now.

Yepper, I'll agree with you - it's definitely commercial.  And please don't feel I'm ignoring you, I'm not.  You've actually put me a LOT more on the fence about the custom content issue (not piracy - that's a different ball of wax).  HOWEVER, I feel strongly enough about people having the right to sell things at the price they see fit if they created it that I'd feel very hypocritical downloading from here.  But I'm very much revising my initial opinion of what THIS PARTICULAR SITE is doing (I emphasize this because as several people have pointed out, software piracy is NOT taking place).  I see both sides of the argument, and at this point I really don't feel that either party is in the right or the wrong, though I do feel certain individuals are definitely in the wrong (see a couple of my other posts on that one).

Ok back on.

I read your other post and you are right that is wrong. I respect your principles to not download and I also respect the fact that you have taken the time to at least consider the other side. Most that come here, as you have probably noticed, dont even bother to try and understand. They also have never bothered to answer the question either. Actually they come back with all this about the meshes being theirs. I will agree that they made the meshes and the meshes are theirs, right up to the point they put them online specifically for the sims 2. That is the point that they no longer become theirs and actually become Maxis. As I said there is no gray area here. It is plan and simple English and appears on every site.
I also respect a person's right to earn money. The more the better. But this is the only time that a company has allowed so many, to make so much off from copyright material. I also agree that EA allows them to and I dont have a problem with that either. The problem comes in when they start yelling that we are stealing. We have nothing here of theirs. Everything on this site belongs to Maxis/EA. We dont use their bandwidth at all. Nobody is hot linking to their files. They should not have a problem with us sharing what belongs to Maxis/EA.

i dont think anyone could argue with that  :wink: but it seems like everyone has similar points so why do we have to keep explaining ourself?
avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2006 November 14, 03:17:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok back on.

There's actually not a thing that I can say to refute this, and it's a very good point.  I suppose the only thing a creator could do if they felt strongly enough would be to do what the girl from retailsims.com did and pull all of her stuff.  Which I hated to see that happen, but that's her decision and I can't argue with it.

The whole thing almost makes me wish EA would take a stance, but I really do understand why they can't/won't.
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2006 November 14, 03:17:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Soviet Russia, dead horse beats you!

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2006 November 14, 03:19:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, and for the record, thanks for those who kept this thread mostly nice and also took the time to engage in civilized discussion :-)  I've very much enjoyed the time I've spent here.
Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: 2006 November 14, 03:21:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"

Lets leave my mother out of this debate, thanks.

HotNWet
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2006 November 14, 03:23:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

its funny how the girl at retail sims closed the sites yet left all the google adsense right open so she can still get a few clicks and make a few extra cents...
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: 2006 November 14, 03:24:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Such as?  As a gamer, I expect to get a product that is reasonably bug free (I'd love to have one that is wholly bug-free, but ain't gonna happen) that fits the description on the box.  I also expect tech support to get my game to run on my machine if it's so bug-riddled that I can't figure it out on my own.  What other rights do/should I have?   I certainly don't have the right to custom content that some third party made on their own time without meeting whatever requirements said person attached to their creation.

As a gamer I expect not to be expected to exploited by custom content when the owners of said content have specifically outlined terms and conditions of modifying said content.

You say to us the upset filesharer, that if we are upset about paysites, simply don't donate for them.  Why then not tell the upset creator, who by entering his/her content into an EA package and thereby accepting the terms of the EULA not to be upset when people start sharing their creations to simply not add them to the .package (again thereby allowing us to legally share the file)?

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2006 November 14, 03:26:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Plum"
Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"

Lets leave my mother out of this debate, thanks.

Very afraid to know which one is your mother.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2006 November 14, 03:27:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "HotNWet"
its funny how the girl at retail sims closed the sites yet left all the google adsense right open so she can still get a few clicks and make a few extra cents...

Yes, there's a great deal that's amiss and hypocritical about Miss Changeri. But there are other posts to discuss her, we're clogging this one up with all sorts of parallel discussion, you and I..

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
avic
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2006 November 14, 03:30:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Sherry"

As a gamer I expect not to be expected to exploited by custom content when the owners of said content have specifically outlined terms and conditions of modifying said content.

You say to us the upset filesharer, that if we are upset about paysites, simply don't donate for them.  Why then not tell the upset creator, who by entering his/her content into an EA package and thereby accepting the terms of the EULA not to be upset when people start sharing their creations to simply not add them to the .package (again thereby allowing us to legally share the file)?

Check two or three posts up ;-)
Quote from: "Avic"

There's actually not a thing that I can say to refute this, and it's a very good point. I suppose the only thing a creator could do if they felt strongly enough would be to do what the girl from retailsims.com did and pull all of her stuff. Which I hated to see that happen, but that's her decision and I can't argue with it.
Solowren
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2006 November 14, 03:39:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aww, I missed all the fun debating. :'[

Oh well. I can never get my thoughts out properly in a debate situation anyway.

But avic, you seem like a good person. A welcomed change from the likes of Vulzard.

quoth my brother-in-law:
"Boobs are way better than video games. I don't care what game or whose boobs."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: