PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 25, 07:00:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5285 Members
Latest Member: breakinme
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  New Paysite Alert
0 Members and 7 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New Paysite Alert  (Read 43825 times)
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #105 on: 2007 May 06, 01:54:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because I haven't actually explained how you pronounce my name yet (and there will be people somewhere pacing it out), it's Ca-riss-ty-own-a (or Ca-riss-teeeeeee-on-a if I choose to put an accent on the third i). Stress on the "Ca" not the "riss" btw. Cairistiona, not Cairistiona. ^^

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #106 on: 2007 May 06, 02:01:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "MizzKitty"
a like... alumin(i?)um... the first a there Cheesy... and uh is like... errr... yea! like err... or Earl... or... ya know Cheesy

Hm, I see.  Your -a is my -uh.  =P
Granuaile
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #107 on: 2007 May 06, 02:11:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pirates Like Sapphires"
Rhea to me = Ray-a

I wonder if that's how it was originally pronounced, especially since my ancestors came from England, Scottland, Wales and Ireland.  I wouldn't be surprised if the pronunciation changed over the years, especially over here.

Quote from: "Red Love"
When its really supposed to Nar-Kee-Shah. That's why I just said screw that and had them put NiNi or LiLi (Lee Lee not Lily)as my nickname. I have no time to correct people.

I love your name!  Is it spelled Narkeisha, Narkeishia or Narkisha?  I'm just asking out of curiosity.
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #108 on: 2007 May 06, 02:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
a like... alumin(i?)um... the first a there Cheesy... and uh is like... errr... yea! like err... or Earl... or... ya know Cheesy

Hm, I see.  Your -a is my -uh.  =P

:lol:

Gotta love cross-linguistic phonetics. It's doomed because in Danish we even roll the r's differently and our "i" is sorta like your "ee" but not quite etc... But I don't care. I don't mind the English/American way(s) to say it.

It's funny, though, that my parents first wanted to call me Mary (pronounced in English) but refrained since they figured too many would be calling me *thinks long and hard* Mar-hy. Last bit sounds like... Forget it there's nothing like it. Anyhoo, trust me when I say that Danish way of saying it - fugly.

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #109 on: 2007 May 06, 02:18:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can only say in confidence that English teachers can say my last name properly without being prompted.  It warms my heart when they do.  ^^  

Although, some can't get the first name right, which is odd.  Most common mispronunciation is An-gel-EEK-uh..  If they don't get it right after being corrected like three times I give up and let them say whatever they want to say the rest of the semester.

ETA:  Yeah, teachers typically have like 150 students per semester then it changes and they get a whole new crop of kids after like four months so you just gotta let some things slide.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Granuaile
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #110 on: 2007 May 06, 02:21:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "missangelica"
Although, some can't get the first name right, which is odd.  Most common mispronunciation is An-gel-EEK-ah..  If they don't get it right after being corrected like three times I give up and let them say whatever they want to say the rest of the semester.

My cousin went through that a lot too, and she just gave up after awhile.  Her name's Larissa, so she's heard it all (it's pronounced "Lar-i-sah).

Maybe the people are saying your name like they do in Italy, where your name comes from?  Nowadays, a lot of people prefer the ethnic pronunciation as opposed to the Anglicized version of the name.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #111 on: 2007 May 06, 02:24:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, with the Nickeloden cartoon, Rugrats, that has a character named Angelica, it's made my life a lot easier with my peers.  The show pronounces it the same way I do.

Another weird thing:  I have a WOW character whose name is Clarica.  I had a friend pronounce it as Clarissa (Claire-is-sah).. I had to turn off my microphone and laugh my rear end off when he kept saying it that way.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Granuaile
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #112 on: 2007 May 06, 02:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's true about Angelica from the Rugrats helping your peers pronounce your name right.  When I first saw your name, I thought of that character for some reason.  :lol:

We used to tape that show when our older kids were little.  Now, our youngest is hooked on it. Smiley
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #113 on: 2007 May 06, 02:31:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

roll the r's differently

Rolling Rs is fun!  First couple days of Latin we all had to emphasize the trilled Rs, especially with words that had two Rs like ferre.

Latin pronunciation makes me want to apply it to English--like Vs sounding like Ws.  Except sometimes I'll want to write it the way it sounds so I end up writing words that should be with a V with a W instead on my dictations...

My last name gets mispronounced a lot.  The first syllable is ee (like even), but people insist on eh (like elephant).  The last syllable gets fudged up too.  I don't think I've ever seen my last name misspelt, but obviously my first name gets spelt incorrectly a lot.

(I like to think I don't have an accent, but apparently I develop one when I speak in Tagalog.  >.>)
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #114 on: 2007 May 06, 14:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "ChloroformDreams"
If Rhea is pronounced the same as the Greek titaness Rhea, it would be Rhee-uh, no?

ETA: Guess not.

This is how I would have pronounced it too.

Quote from: "Pirates Like Sapphires"
Because I haven't actually explained how you pronounce my name yet (and there will be people somewhere pacing it out), it's Ca-riss-ty-own-a (or Ca-riss-teeeeeee-on-a if I choose to put an accent on the third i). Stress on the "Ca" not the "riss" btw. Cairistiona, not Cairistiona. ^^

It may surprise you, but that was how I thought it might be pronounced. With the stress on the "Ca" as in Cairn (the burial mound or a Terrier). Then again my family is largely of Scottish Decent and some of my family have stayed in small groups of Scottish decedents in Florida, so we have this "odd" accent mix. Until he passed away, my Great Grandfather still spoke with a "Scottish brogue" and he had never stepped foot in Scotland.     :lol:

My name is easy for most. It is Biblical, but in the modern spelling.Not too many people screw up Rebecca. LOL  My children on the other hand may have some issues, especially the oldest, but that is my husband's fault, not mine.   :lol:

My maiden name got screwed up more ways that not, but now I have a very simple 4 letter last name.... wait even people here mess that up too.  :shock:

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #115 on: 2007 May 06, 14:05:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, I avoided this problem entirely. In my family, we pick our own names when we're 6, until which we're simply referred to by titles like "Maggot" and "Worm", and reminded constantly of how useless and pathetic we are. I have a simple enough name, but in retrospect, I should have picked "Richard". It would have been so much funnier. Alas, we don't get the same level of input on our last names. "Richard Head" would have been a great name, though.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Pucci
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #116 on: 2007 May 06, 15:44:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
"Richard Head" would have been a great name, though.

When I was little, my parents named one of our cats "Richard Cranium."
Steroide
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #117 on: 2007 May 06, 16:52:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I speak a pretty clean version of Danish. One that is understandable for all... that understand Danish.  :lol:

Bah! Humbug! Danish has never been understandable!
You speak with your tounge down your throats! :lol:
rickets
ARR!

View Profile
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #118 on: 2007 May 06, 17:26:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I might win the name contest because I can't really pronounce my own first name.  

My white parents in a post-flower child moment decided to become Zen Buddhists and saddled me with this: Wiruherumina

I have been Mina throughout most of my life and the name was legally changed when I hit 18.  

I have had some wonderful moments when people have had to read "Wiruherumina" aloud and I'm always interested to see how it turns out.
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
New Paysite Alert
« Reply #119 on: 2007 May 06, 17:28:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wiruherumina sounds like the Japanese pronunciation of Wilhilmina.  Can't imagine why they would saddle you with something that should only be written in katakana. lol.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: