PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 17, 01:31:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5284 Members
Latest Member: mobequi
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Eating some humble pie
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Eating some humble pie  (Read 18864 times)
OneEyedWillie
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #15 on: 2007 May 02, 12:21:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can understand Lieg where you are coming from, although it still kinda sucks as an avid downloader......But it's your right to make this decision and it won't affect my downloading your stuff anyway Wink

Veering off in another direction....umm is it just me who's been in the dark but is Besen's sims pay?  Cause looking at the wiki it says only free stuff is redistributable but I haven't found anything on their site that suggests that?  But i'm also a blind chicken sometimes so......

Sloth: [Sloth rips off his shirt revealing a T-Shirt with the Superman 'S' on the front] Sloth!
Jake Fratelli: We're in deep shit now, Francis.
Francis Fratelli: Oh, shit!
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #16 on: 2007 May 02, 12:43:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think you did anything wrong in the first place, but I understand your wanting to decrease the drama level. It is a big PITA to hunt for meshes. I really don't get all the angst over distributing them as long as credit and a link are provided. It's really a pain for people who create sims since they are automatically included in body shop.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #17 on: 2007 May 02, 12:55:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quorneater"
I only allow my cc to be used on lots where all the simmies are vegetarian.

Being a vegetarian is right out for me, I'm an obligate carnivore. I could be convinced to becone a humanitarian, though.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #18 on: 2007 May 02, 13:02:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just have one question...

... May I have a link to your site? (You're a very bad girl for not adding it to your profile!)

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #19 on: 2007 May 02, 13:23:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "MizzKitty"
I just have one question...

... May I have a link to your site? (You're a very bad girl for not adding it to your profile!)

SHAME! SHAME!

http://www.digitalperversion.net/

Inactive
Bigtruckgirl
Pirate

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #20 on: 2007 May 02, 13:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My post is going to be in line with most of the people here in this thread. Free or not, I swear I hate playing the "find the mesh" game. It is like the washer/dryer I wanted to use at MTS2. I have searched high and low for the mesh because it seems the link to the mesh is no longer working because the site is gone. OR the garage doors that I DL'd and missed the mesh and I had to hunt it down. It's frustrating. Especially for me when there is so much I don't understand about all of this.

I've never understood (and this may be because I am so new to all of this, although I am learning quickly. LOL) why you can't "redistribute" and must "link back for the mesh" for free stuff. If it is on the net, and you give it freely, then WTH not just let people throw it in the Zip file? Why not just say "hey throw this in the Zip file for people to have it so my items work in the game, but please tell them about me" or something like that? I know that creators hope that people will respect their TOS, but in all honesty what are you going to do if they don't?

I kinda have the same attitude towards meshes and files that I have about lending money. I don't lend money with the expectation to be paid back, if I do it sets me up to feel shitty about the human species.

If you put your mesh for people to use/recolor, etc on the net and then expect them to "link back only," then you should expect that some will not respect your TOS regardless of what you have in it and then there will be those that will renew your faith in human beings.

I respect you liegenschonheit for being one that wants to respect someone's TOS, but in the end with me at least, if I can't readily find the mesh, I won't go back to the creator's site.

You, and people who have/had the same policy, were keeping people like me going back to those sites to see what those creator's had. Because if all else failed, I knew if I could not find the mesh at their site, "you" had it. It was not a frustrating struggle for me to find a freaking Mesh that may have been created years ago (because I am so much farther behind you all in D/Ls LOL) and now off of someone's site.

~*~ We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry. ~*~
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #21 on: 2007 May 02, 13:35:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm making a stand by similarly refusing to use non redistributable meshes.  If you don't want people playing with your toys.. fine.  I won't play with them.   Revel in your self inflicted obscurity and not-as-cool-as-mine (<.<')  ('>.>) recolors.

The bottom line is, having your site linked at the bottom of every download is the BEST advertising!   Look at simchic, most of their stuff is utter crap, but it's still popular because the name is burnt into everyones memory.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #22 on: 2007 May 02, 15:25:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think you did anything wrong either, but you really don't seem like one for conflict, and I accept that.

I think I said this before, but I swear this has to be the only gaming community willing to indulge the neuroses of its members to untold degrees. It's more like Livejournal (omg u use my icon TIME TO CUT MYSELF AND POST ABOUT IT) in that regard.
sherrie
ARR!

ALL DONE, kthxbai

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #23 on: 2007 May 02, 15:41:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks everyone for your help  Cheesy

Nouk: no problem, I can add something like 'partial distrobution please check policy' or whatever wording you would like.

Tomato: Thanks for that awsome list, that will really help.

I'm looking for your imput on sites that allow distrobution but carry donation sets. for example, a site like Liana. I do use liana's meshes myself and have no problem linking back for credit. I was recently panned by some clown for doing so, because liana has donation sets. 2-for-u is another one I can think of. let me know if you think sites like this should or shouldn't be included.

CENSORSHIP: When one site is very much like another..
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #24 on: 2007 May 02, 15:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Free mesh list to help you on your way

http://www.downtown-sims.com/meshes.htm

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
MizzKitty
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #25 on: 2007 May 02, 15:46:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "sherrie_sim"
I'm looking for your imput on sites that allow distrobution but carry donation sets. for example, a site like Liana. I do use liana's meshes myself and have no problem linking back and crediting. I was recently panned by some clown for doing so, because liana has donation sets. 2-for-u is another one I can think of. let me know if you think sites like this should or shouldn't be included.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass. I know paysites are bad but there's badness and there's badness. I'm not about to condemn a site for a couple of donation sets if they have a reasonable outlook on other things (maybe eventually they, too, will see the light). And I'm certainly not going to condemn the people who use their meshes and show their respect for the creation of those meshes by linking back.

But that's just me. Us cats are known for worrying about more important things. Like tuna.  Cool

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...
ugly_duck
Landlubber

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #26 on: 2007 May 02, 16:17:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe some things are already changing. Check HP's new terms of use.  Cheesy

liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #27 on: 2007 May 02, 17:37:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still think meshes should be freely distributable, but my change of heart on this matter had more to do with the fact that if the worst of the problem is a distribution TOS, I don't want to piss off the talented free creators. Also, I am soft and squishy, and I admit part of this is because I hate to be the bad guy with people I respect and admire just to prove a point.

Meshes will still have to be easy to get to for me to not include them though. The ones that have thus far been removed have had direct access to threads and pages where the file can be quickly grabbed. If it becomes a hunt, a pain in the ass, or the meshes are pulled, then all bets are off and I'll post the mesh. To me, this seemed like a reasonable compromise, as my real concern with this whole policy was to make meshes easy for downloaders to access, pay or free.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Tempest Limmerfer
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #28 on: 2007 May 02, 18:16:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you are doing fine. I refuse to recolor anything that people have to search for meshes to use. I will give a credit....but honestly, I get ready to recolor a mesh and find that it has been taken and tweaked and redone by at least 2 others and then...well...jeez, who can you credit, because it's been thru half a dozen people? Then I have to fix it again because of holes and gaps and spend an hour doing that.

I do the best I can, but if people complain, I ignore it. People will always find something to bitch about. At first, I hated the drama, but now, people will bitch about anything and make a TOS that is stupid.....so I make my stuff, have a small following, enjoy my own creations, and if people complain, then I just shrug it off. If someone really wants to spend hours bitching because I tweaked their stupid, hole-infested mesh and made a decent texture and color.....then let them.

www.limmerfer.com
proudly hosting designs by : Nii

EA Games: Welcome to Pixel Hell, Bitches! (Snarky)
Ash Redfern
Infamous Pirate

View Profile
Eating some humble pie
« Reply #29 on: 2007 May 02, 18:37:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I liked your old site policy. I too find it odd that some creators wouldn't be happy with simply having free advertisements via credit and a link back to their site. That seems rather counter productive to sharing your creations and being well known for them because, as Dour pointed out, this has been working very well for simchic.

However, that said, I also like the new site policy as well. It is understandable why you decided to change it and some of the really important points have still be kept, like including pay meshes and only using meshes that are easy to find. I think you are doing just fine using either policy.

I have to also agree that this idea about starting to use only meshes from creators who allow them to be shared is a good idea as well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: