PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 01:35:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  2 Interesting Articles
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 2 Interesting Articles  (Read 4949 times)
Scratch
Landlubber

View Profile
2 Interesting Articles
« on: 2006 November 17, 01:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was reading one of my favorite online magazines today and saw 2 articles that have a lot to do with the discussions, in the Sims community, about a content creators right to make money and to restrict the use of content.

The first article pokes a lot of holes into the arguement some of the creators use "I have a right to make money from my creations" and "I can't make money if i give my creations away for free"

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20061115/020157.shtml  (The economics of abundance is not a moral issue)

Follow some of the links in the article and it talks about the false assumption that content can be "stolen".

The second article is about copyrights and the creators idea that "they can set the terms of copyright"

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20061115/013623.shtml (Attention Publishers: Copyright Law Isn't Something Flexible Where You Get To Set The Rules)

It points to an instance where a content creator tries to go beyond the law in terms of fair use and ownership.

Both of the articles i think have a lot to do with the debate in the community now, about creators rights and ownership of digital content....

Everybody, consumers and creators, should read the articles.... made me think.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
2 Interesting Articles
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 17, 11:14:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those are rather intreresting. I especially agree with the second one, it really does annoy me when people think they can just say 'COPPYRITE!!!11' and then every 'rule' they impose on it's use is legally binding...It happens on the internet a lot more, cos of 'intellectual copyright', and also an overinflated sense of grandeure...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
yamikuronue
ARR!

View Profile
2 Interesting Articles
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 17, 18:11:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, for now we'll leave that aside and focus on the second point: that there's a right to make money. That's completely false. Economics is not a moral issue. It doesn't care about anyone's "right" to make money from their creative output... and neither should you. The idea that anyone automatically has a right to make money from their creative output is wrong. Everyone has the right to try to make money out of their creative output, but if the market isn't there, then there's no money to be made.

so true!
Plum
ARR!

Can I has cc?

View Profile WWW
2 Interesting Articles
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 17, 21:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks people claiming copyright on every damn thing is ridiculous.

Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
2 Interesting Articles
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 17, 22:44:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I claim copyright on all my posts.

And all the pictures I alter of myself.

And the messes I make when I get bored at restaurants and the adults are talking and I can't play my DS so I take a bunch of food and start to mix it together and get syrups, soda, and sauce in it and oh god it's so boring and I totally claim copyright on this inane run-on sentence.

©2006 EO
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
2 Interesting Articles
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 17, 22:58:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Ensign EO"
I claim copyright on all my posts.

And all the pictures I alter of myself.

And the messes I make when I get bored at restaurants and the adults are talking and I can't play my DS so I take a bunch of food and start to mix it together and get syrups, soda, and sauce in it and oh god it's so boring and I totally claim copyright on this inane run-on sentence.

©2006 EO

Hehe

Oh crap I quoted your copyrighted sentence without your permission. When will I be hearing from your laywers?

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
2 Interesting Articles
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 17, 23:02:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, and really, you should have sent me an e-mail about it.  Then I would be all huffy and say "NOOOOO!!!!!!!!3", then you turn around and quote me anyway.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: