PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 08:20:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5284 Members
Latest Member: mobequi
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Universal Sims...
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Universal Sims...  (Read 78204 times)
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #75 on: 2007 March 29, 17:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "teadrinker"
Well if the logs do auto-wipe, all I can say is "How Very Convenient" for the person who set them up to do so.

Logfiles do autorotate and are eventually wiped within a few days, which is plausible...but if this is true, then he similarly has zero evidence to pin it on UniversalSims, so the validity of his conclusions would be very doubtful.

Quote from: "teadrinker"
They could be in it together. What is looking less likely now is that this is a standalone Nathan scam, given that Delphy corroborated the bill.

"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."
Surely you cannot be seriously suggesting that this is the work of a many-headed conspiracy-monster when a far more obvious and plausible explanation exists.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #76 on: 2007 March 29, 17:47:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"
The way Delphy suddenly pulled the plug on MATY ....

:shock::shock::shock:
Say WHAT, now?!

*behold my very angry eyebrows* :x

That is simply NOT ON.

Pardon me while I recoil in my newbieness from what's apparently ancient history.

God, you go get a life minus Sims for a few years and you miss out on all the best crazy shit-storms and lurid gossip. Serves me right for having other interests for a while.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #77 on: 2007 March 29, 17:57:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well you're not a responsible or even competent host if you can't monitor the usage patterns of your hosted sites so he should pack it in and concentrate on his own site.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #78 on: 2007 March 29, 18:01:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lorelei"

:shock::shock::shock:
Say WHAT, now?!

*behold my very angry eyebrows* :x

That is simply NOT ON.

Pardon me while I recoil in my newbieness from what's apparently ancient history.

The event occurred with relatively little associated drama around the time of early-October last year. Basically, a day in advance, in my spider senses started tingling. Placing my faith in my inner voice of paranoia, I proceeded to dump, tar, and gzip the entire server and download the files to my other servers. Not 24 hours later, Delphy PM'ed me to, apparently benignly, announce that the Relicnews server was going to be phased out and that I should begin seeking alternative hosting as the future of the server had become uncertain. At this point it fell short of an outright eviction notice. Naturally, suspicious but unperturbed, I proceeded to simply order Malaysian. Less than 12 hours after I had placed the order, Delphy spontaneously closed the MATY account, citing some spurious excuse about an IP violation and association with PMBD (despite that all this had been public knowledge for over a week and nothing had changed on that), and locked everything down.

Utterly unsurprised, went to see what he had to say and if his intent was attempt to try to hold the site for ransom, a gambit he decided to apparently not play after he noticed that I had already fled with the backups not long ago. He did provide a dump of the DB on request, but I was not able to get it to function, either because of intentional obfuscation or incompatible dumping procedures, and the resulting loss of a few hours of DB may be noticeable inside the MATY statistical record.

Naturally, I don't have any real PROOF of what he was planning to attempt, but it IS a rather suspicious incident in terms of timing and what we know of the historical record with what happened to Insim previously.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Jojoba
Pirate

Inoodle Concordance

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #79 on: 2007 March 29, 18:05:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Pescado"

Naturally, I don't have any real PROOF of what he was planning to attempt, but it IS a rather suspicious incident in terms of timing and what we know of the historical record with what happened to Insim previously.

...what happened to the Insim previously??!

<@Pescado> I would rather eat my own testicles.

Want to donate? Help out? PM Ash, MissB, Dee or Cat!

Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #80 on: 2007 March 29, 18:14:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I asked an 18-year-old friend who understands hacking and servers today, and he says it's easy to hack into a site and crack up that amount of usage (he says you can do it in one day easily...I doubt that though somehow), HOWEVER there is no way in HELL that it would have cost that much. There's just no way, says Joe...he says it's much more likely that the bill is Delphy's.

Poor Nathan, saying he trusts Delphy...I wouldn't if I were him!

And it thinks I've signed up.

Registered on  Oct 19 2006, 01:16 PM
last login: oct 19 2006, 02:02 PM

That's ridiculous! It thinks I've never posted; I never sign onto a website without posting at LEAST once! On InSim I believe I've posted 5 times, but still!! I ALWAYS post!

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #81 on: 2007 March 29, 18:14:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The short and ugly? Insim outgrew MTS2's surplus hosting capacity, and Delphy thus decided  to drop them. Nothing wrong with that, per-se, but his handling of the matter was flat out shady and disreputable, pulling their plug far ahead of schedule and demanding hundreds of dollars essentially as ransom for their files. The profile was pretty similar to what he may have attempted with MATY, in the same way that he announced we'd have to move, implying we had more time than he actually gave us to do so, and then pulling the plug and all access abruptly and without warning. Naturally, *I* wasn't going to fall for any spiels or ransom demands.

OneEyedWillie
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #82 on: 2007 March 29, 18:52:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

umm just an fyi delphy is already a registered user here.....he's posted before.....months ago....also he doesn't play the game so why would he want to download the booty?  

Just thought i would clarify something Tongue

Sloth: [Sloth rips off his shirt revealing a T-Shirt with the Superman 'S' on the front] Sloth!
Jake Fratelli: We're in deep shit now, Francis.
Francis Fratelli: Oh, shit!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #83 on: 2007 March 29, 18:54:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "OneEyedWillie"
umm just an fyi delphy is already a registered user here.....he's posted before.....months ago....also he doesn't play the game so why would he want to download the booty?

We know, which is why I hardly expect him to be a frequent flier or aware of what is discussed here.

OneEyedWillie
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #84 on: 2007 March 29, 18:58:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

nah i know most of us oldtimers know but some of the newer users don't know that, so i was just clarifying it cause some didn't realize that a page back....shoulda quoted  :oops:

Sloth: [Sloth rips off his shirt revealing a T-Shirt with the Superman 'S' on the front] Sloth!
Jake Fratelli: We're in deep shit now, Francis.
Francis Fratelli: Oh, shit!
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #85 on: 2007 March 29, 18:58:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh he'll be aware, don't you worry.  If he didn't see it for himself someone will be keeping him filled in on it.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #86 on: 2007 March 29, 19:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't believe he doesn't know what's being discussed here or at N99. Someone from N99 told him about it, at least they quoted his responses on the matter at N99. I would also expect someone from here has talked to him about it as well.

I don't think he can claim he doesn't know about the controversy.
chlyn
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #87 on: 2007 March 29, 21:18:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

About the screencap of the bill, note that the line item entry begins with the word "Manual:"

I'm guessing the amount due was entered manually for the account, rather than automatically generated.

'm telling you, boys, I've been across the world
I want an elegant intelligent Boston girl
- Chris Trapper
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #88 on: 2007 March 29, 21:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no idea what any thing on that thing means could some one clarify?

Fresh-Prince
Landlubber

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #89 on: 2007 March 29, 21:31:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do believe that Nathan, or the owner of Universal sims is young. My brother used to once in a while make few objects for the site, maybe a year or 2 ago this was. If I recall, the owner was 16 or around that age. I may be wrong, but I think thats what was said.

With all this conversation, it seems like the sims community is falling apart. I wonder what will happen in the near future.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: