PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 13:46:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Universal Sims...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Universal Sims...  (Read 75047 times)
Xerolize
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« on: 2007 March 26, 18:24:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

is back but WAIT they want money from you. I was greeted with this unexpectant email from universal sims a day ago and just had to share their pathetic attempt at getting money. who knows if this so-called "attacker" is real. even if it is my question is what happened to all the subscriptions that were going through even though the site hasn't been updated in months?

Hey Xerolize4,

Over the past year, the content team at UniversalSims has been working on an exciting new line of releases for the 2007 year! We can't wait to show everyone what we've been working so hard on.

However first, there is an important announcement to be made. UniversalSims needs YOUR help!

In late January, and all of Februrary 2007 UniversalSims.com was attacked by someone trying to shutdown our site. This resulted in over a terabyte of bandwidth being used by the attacker. It was so clever that it went unnoticed by our meters, thus no block could be issued. Our hosting company slammed us with a $2,250.000 bill, you can imagine that feeling when I saw it.

We are looking into what happenned, we think it may had been executed via a series of malicious scripts. We have requested our hosting company re-evalute the bill, but they would not negotiate, and we don't have the funds to cover a bill like this.

If you could please, donate something to help cover the bill, 99% of our creations are downloaded by free accounts, if you ever thought about donating to help, now is the time. Myself and all the people who help make Universal Sims to be the best it can be appreciate all your support over the years, and hope that we can survive this incident to show everyone the surprises we have been working on the past year.

Donate by amount:
Click the button below, and type in the amount you would like to donate:

Donate by subscribing: You can also donate by purchasing a subscription plan, click the gold button below to view the plans:

Total needed: $2,250.00 USD

EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS. Every one who helps, makes a difference, and brings a much needed smile to our faces.

Thank you for everything over the years, let's make 2007 the best of them all.

Nathan & and the Universal Sims team.

P.S. I will try to get some of the surprise updates out sooner as the donation drive progresses, depending on how things go.

www.UniversalSims.com
Copyright 2004-2007 Universal Sims. All rights reserved.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 26, 19:52:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holy crap, if that's true, how will they ever get any money from all the people they dissapointed by never updating?

Inactive
Emma
Goopy Lover
ARR!

All Pescados Suck

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 26, 19:54:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL I got that email today too!

Luckily I don't respond to begging letters..... Tongue This was binned immediately after reading it.
Fresh-Prince
Landlubber

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 26, 20:31:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got that too, I was shocked though, and I think they are lying. Because, they said those attackers forced them to recieve a higher bill with more money. That's completely wrong. The hosting company doesn't charge you for going over bandwidth, because you can't unless you pay for it yourself as an upgrade. If they reached their bandwidth for the month, it would just come up of with something like "bandwidth exceeded". There's no way they can get that much of a bill unless they said to themselves, "We need more bandwidth, or lets buy more bandwidth", they can't pay more money for what was planned before. Smiley
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 26, 20:36:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently they are lying. They have this thread over at SFV and Sims graveyard keeper found this out

edited to add: i just checked the domain and its still being hosted by delphy. So this sounds like a ploy for extra funds to pay for last months or this months hosting--this is what happens when you run a paysite and don't update for over 6 months--you stop getting paid! lol

So yea Smiley If you want the rest of the thread its Here

OneEyedWillie
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 26, 20:39:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ummm red your link goes to an unauthorized page... Sad

Sloth: [Sloth rips off his shirt revealing a T-Shirt with the Superman 'S' on the front] Sloth!
Jake Fratelli: We're in deep shit now, Francis.
Francis Fratelli: Oh, shit!
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 26, 20:41:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

=] Are you signed up for SFV?

OneEyedWillie
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 26, 20:41:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yeah of course Tongue

nm it's working now...

don't know why it wasn't before *shrugs*

Sloth: [Sloth rips off his shirt revealing a T-Shirt with the Superman 'S' on the front] Sloth!
Jake Fratelli: We're in deep shit now, Francis.
Francis Fratelli: Oh, shit!
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 26, 20:44:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh ok! Cheesy Glad its working for you Its a good read

Sunkiss
Landlubber

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 26, 21:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got the email too yet I do not remember ever going to the site before.
Randomness
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 27, 01:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "OneEyedWillie"
nm it's working now...

don't know why it wasn't before *shrugs*

I also had that problem because I was logged out. Once I re-logged in, I got the Unauthorized Page message, but when I clicked on the link again I got in just fine. *shrugs* No big deal.
Jysudo
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 27, 04:32:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's pathetic. i like Universal Sims....but this really disses me off.

The last line of the notice

P.S. I will try to get some of the surprise updates out sooner as the donation drive progresses, depending on how things go.

sounds like a threat. It stinks of :

Hell, Shove the money up my ass. If not, don't count on seeing those SURPRISE CRAP we have been spending the last 15 mins on!!!

I am really kinda sad that so many people are trying to make money off the sims...do they really think simmers are millionares when most of us are just trying to survive day to day?! Jeez  :roll:

o Away.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 27, 07:16:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't understand how they get those costs mounted up like that.  On Lunarpages that amount could get you a dedicated server for six years.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
GoddessByline
Landlubber

They're everywhere!

View Profile
Universal Sims...
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 28, 09:32:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will try to get some of the surprise updates out sooner as the donation drive progresses, depending on how things go.

What they're basically saying is, "As a thank you for donating for nothing, we will toss together a set that you can donate even more money for. You see, we need your hard earned money more than you do, suckers!"

No seriously, why in pirate heavens name, would anyone direct an attack at an obscure site, that almost no one has heard of, and that has been dormant for a year or more?

Now the community will be polluted with these type of requests. Other site owners, that's only into this for the money, will think, uh, that's a clever way of bleeding the simmers dry. I'll wait a month, and then I'll stage an attack on my own page and put up a sob story asking for donations.

Remember to always be yourself... Unless you suck.
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Universal Sims...
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 28, 12:31:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got that too!! I've never even heard of the site! HOW DID THEY GET MY EMAIL ADDY?!?!?!?!?!

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: