PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 14:16:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us  (Read 43970 times)
Mat Cauthon
Landlubber

View Profile
EA: All Your Mesh Are Belong To Us
« Reply #105 on: 2006 November 14, 04:09:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's childish but it's not. There's plenty of crap out there, be it objects, clothing, hair, stories (and even fanfiction), and plenty of sheep who all scream like dying things in order that they might express their worship of the author and their boundless creativity, blah blah blah.

From what I can see, the twits frequently get ten times the praise from the sheeple herd, not because they're good, but because the herd is reading/viewing at their own level.

I've been reading a lot of legacy stories lately. Most of them seem to be written by people with a sub-par IQ and absolutely no command of the English language, but boy do they get praise!

(Then again, even some of those show up as reviewers for my own stories. I'm really not sure what to think.)

I totally agree with this.  There are a lot of stories in the sim community that just aren't that good, yet get acclaim, praise, and recognition all the time.  So you say you write some sim stories with a good plot and correct grammer? Where do I sign up to read these? Wink I have read a few good stories before on the sim sites, but most are just ugh.  

Mat
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2006 November 14, 04:40:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Mat Cauthon"
I totally agree with this.  There are a lot of stories in the sim community that just aren't that good, yet get acclaim, praise, and recognition all the time.

Oh, some just like pretty pictures. Or they include vampires. People like vampires. Well, I do. Cheesy

(I don't read a lot of Sim stories because I know that I'd get obsessed with it if I like it... hahaha. I know: it's lame.)
Mat Cauthon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2006 November 14, 04:51:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HeeHee! My one sim story was about a vampire since I love them too! LOL! It's called Obsession if you ever want to check it out, although the best version of it is on GaySimsClub2.

Mat
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2006 November 14, 04:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HeeHee! My one sim story was about a vampire since I love them too! LOL! It's called Obsession if you ever want to check it out, although the best version of it is on GaySimsClub2.

Mat

Ooh, awesome! I'll have to register there, I don't have an account. Gimme the link, and I'll bookmark it. Which reminds me that I still have a few stories to read. AAAH. DX
Mat Cauthon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2006 November 14, 04:59:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hxxp://www.gaysimsclub2.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5504

That is the direct link to my story.  Just replace the xx with tt.  It does start off kind of shaky, but I think it turns out pretty decent.  And if nothing else do know that I did use correct english and not netspeak to wite it! LOL!

Mat
Phelim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2006 November 14, 05:11:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I totally agree with this.  There are a lot of stories in the sim community that just aren't that good, yet get acclaim, praise, and recognition all the time.  So you say you write some sim stories with a good plot and correct grammer? Where do I sign up to read these? Wink I have read a few good stories before on the sim sites, but most are just ugh.

I apologize, as I should have been more clear there.  I meant that those types of people show up as reviewers for the fanfiction (mainly HP) I write, not Sims2 stories (for that I just post pictures in my LJ from play sessions).

Decent writers get their fair share of sheep reviews, but on some days I have to think it's better than nothing, which is almost sad in a way.

At least you don't see nearly as many people in the Sims2 community screaming things like, "OMG, you pervert!  You're going to hell for writing about gay people!"  (Actually, I can't remember the last time I saw that reaction for Sims2 stories.)
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2006 November 14, 05:21:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Mat, I'll read as soon as possible. I have to register an (lurk) account there. XD

Quote from: "Phelim"
Decent writers get their fair share of sheep reviews, but on some days I have to think it's better than nothing, which is almost sad in a way.

Sheeps are still readers! :lol: Seriously, they compose about 80% of the reviewers. Maybe more actually.

Most big communities are about exposure and not about getting criticism. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking of deviantART as opposed to ConceptArt.
Phelim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2006 November 14, 05:36:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "coliss"
Sheeps are still readers! :lol: Seriously, they compose about 80% of the reviewers. Maybe more actually.

Most big communities are about exposure and not about getting criticism. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking of deviantART as opposed to ConceptArt.

I totally agree, but there are some days when seeing "OMG LOL !!!11" or "Kewl!  Write more soon!" tends to make a person consider mass murder.

Personally, I'd rather hear "I liked when suchandsuch happened" or "you spelled RandomName incorrectly" so that I know I've either made someone laugh, or think, or feel something, or someone has been kind enough to point out where I made a massive mistake.

Still, getting the former means that someone cared enough to leave a comment, which is nice in its own way.
Lauren
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2006 November 14, 09:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The things that confuse me is when people tells someone its looks "exactly like it should!" Seriously, when a Maxis couch is used in a Friends coffee shop, it looks NOTHING like the show.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2006 November 14, 10:46:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I don't like something, I don't say anything at all, because I seem to have no tact. People always get angry when I say I don't like it XD Or maybe that's just the whole problem.

Inactive
Pineapplebrain
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: 2006 November 14, 12:43:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nouk"
If I don't like something, I don't say anything at all, because I seem to have no tact. People always get angry when I say I don't like it XD Or maybe that's just the whole problem.

People always get angry when I say I don't like something, as well. Even though I try to have as much tact as possible. For example, someone on the Sims website was telling people that they had the BEST idea. They were going to write a story about a gang (and their rotweiler, can't forget that) who kidnaps and tortures two girls, but one guys won't do it because he had a crush on one of them since SECOND grade. I think the idea is stupid, tasteless, and entirely too realistic. But instead of shooting down their idea, I tried to tell them to keep it tasteful - no rape or gore. They told me, If I don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I think people in general (not everyone!) are just a bunch of idiots who can't take any sort of criticism.
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2006 November 14, 13:04:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always catch hell for saying I dislike something, and I know for certain I have no tact. I don't say whatever comes into my head at the time (not usually),  but I'm very blunt, and a lot of people would prefer a pretty lie over the ugly truth. Too bad for them.

Just the same, I'm a writer. I haven't encountered many people who were willing to rip my work completely apart and tell me what's wrong with it, or what could be better. It's called "attacking ideas, not people."

The problem with most people is that they interpret a possible attack on their ideas as an attack on their identity. Can we say fragile self-concept?
MMEStalker
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2006 November 14, 13:32:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've given up giving feedback to people for writing/artwork/whatever, even though I've never given feedback that is wholly negative (no matter how hard I had to dig to think of something positive) and always gave criticism and suggestions politely, only once have I ever received a civil reply, thanking me for pointing out spelling mistakes. Though the girl in question said that she was dyslexic, and if her beta missed some of the mistakes (there were a lot, many that a spellchecker would correct, so the beta must have been rubbish) she felt that it was too late to change them and they would stay like that. Most of the replies were along the lines of "if you dont like my work, dont read it!!!!" or "theres nothign worng w/my spellllling, my english is graet, fukc offff, hater!!!!" or from the more literate ones, "Why don't you write something yourself if you think you're so good???!!!!!".

I do write myself, and I don't show it to other people, simply because I've never yet written anything I'm happy enough about to show others. If I ever do, I will try to listen to criticism and learn from it, however unpleasant I find it, just like I had to do through my 'A' Levels and my degree. Where do these people get the idea from that criticism is bad?
Mat Cauthon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2006 November 14, 13:44:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know I think that the poster that said that too many people's identities are wrapped up in their creations is on to something.  Whether it is a game creation, or a drawing, or a story I think people do feel that that is a piece of them out there on the net for all to see and when someone says something critical about it, they feel attacked.  I'm not saying that they should, a wise artist is always willing to listen to others' input, but I definitely see the desire to feel a piece of art is a piece of the artist.  Since I am in a way an artist too (a crappy one at least Wink ), I won't say anything if I don't like the creation.  

That being said though there is a big difference between saying that the writer misspelled a word, but you liked the story and saying my god what shit is that, don't quit your day job! LOL! One is helpful to the artist and the other is just mean.  And it is silly for the artist to get mad because someone pointed out a spelling error or grammatical mistake, they should see it as helpful.   It's always good to learn how to make your art better!  

Mat
mistymage
Landlubber

corn pirate, 1$ each

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: 2006 November 14, 14:15:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "MMEStalker"
I do write myself, and I don't show it to other people, simply because I've never yet written anything I'm happy enough about to show others. If I ever do, I will try to listen to criticism and learn from it, however unpleasant I find it, just like I had to do through my 'A' Levels and my degree. Where do these people get the idea from that criticism is bad?

Well, if they are American they get it from being raised and schooled that way.  Precious can never do wrong and we'll just pass you along.  

I write stories and bad poetry ... but I know that my end results aren't all that great .. I write for myself and, sometimes, for my kids.  Then again I don't push for accolades or anything beyond an email link on the page (mainly for "it's broken!!" not for "Oh my gawd that was cool!").

When I was writing, back in my webtv days, I was a member of a club/newsgroup where we would post our stuff. No one but me ever actually critiqued the stories.  It was all "cool!", "great job!", and "more!". I, on the other hand, would spot big (1) grammar mistakes, mistypellings or dropped thoughts (where an idea was started but not finished). Before I could point that out I would first be sure to drop compliments .. elsewise my messages would have been ignored.

I always wished that others would have done the same for me.. because an honest evaluation of my work would only have improved the final outcome.

To get back to the sims.. I'm getting ready to put up some walls, floors and maybe a bit of recolored furniture. I know that this stuff is Oh So Not great .. but I do want to share.  I do love being part of a community and I enjoy giving back just a little, especially compared to how much I've "taken" over the years. Gives me the warm glow of belonging that webtv gave me in days of yore.

~misty

(1) huge glaring mistakes because I really suck at grammar and the intricacies of most of it escapes me.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: