PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 13:27:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Another great free creator gone :(
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Another great free creator gone :(  (Read 24567 times)
liegenschonheit
Corsair
ARR!

View Profile
Another great free creator gone :(
« Reply #45 on: 2007 February 24, 02:43:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh scribble, you've converted me! What was I thinking being so utterly selfish by trying to make it easier for downloaders to get what they need? Obviously we should hold free CC creators on a pedestal and do whatever they ask because they have the decency to not charge us! I am deliriously misguided, thinking that credit and a link could ever be good enough.

Blah. Whatever, I'm done arguing. Obviously hypocrisy (oh sorry, nuances and shades of gray) is okay as long as everyone gets what they want free.

Digital Perversion ** Garden of Shadows
Have you hugged your darker side lately?
Kid
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2007 February 24, 03:00:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For the record I have absolutely no problem giving praise for work well done or even to a person in the community that goes that extra inch to help someone out. I just have a problem with the exaggerated praise you so often see. How many times have you downloaded something that people have praised to heaven and back and then when you get it in the game it has overwritten a maxis object, looked like crap or crashed your game? Personally I can't bring myself to do more than say thank you or comment on how lovely the object looks when I first download it.  After I've gotten in the game and checked the stuff out, I'll go back and add further comments but I don't gush and, in fact, I find gushing tedious. I firmly believe that everyone should have a life outside of the sims and I'm the last person you'll see bitching because site x hasn't updated in a week. If HP needs a break, she needs a break but why leave with a post like that? Her "Aside" comment annoys me too but it probably only bothers me. (hmm, did I go off on a tangent there?)

liegenschonheit is spot on when she says you can't pick and choose who's TOS you follow and who's you don't  - if you start doing that you set up a double standard and double standards suck. If I had a site for my recolors I would do the same as she has and include the mesh. I've seen the some of the few recolors I've done claimed by others, hell, they didn't even have the brains to change the internal file tag. I simply don't care.  I made it for my enjoyment but once its out of my hands I could care less what happens to it (that's not being altruistic either). If they feel a need to take credit for someone else's effort then that's their esteem problem not mine.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007 February 24, 03:20:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Point taken. But seriously, and I won't get mad, but do I gush? I really don't mean to! Friends? *holds out hand, hoping not to get it bitten* I don't gripe if they don't update, but I sure as hell wish I had the skills and talent to do that myself. I have tried and it was worse than Carla's, if you can believe it. And that was just a set of eyes! Ewwwwwwww!

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2007 February 24, 09:54:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

liegenschonheit, I understand your motives.  However, in this type of instance they are probably counter-productive.   To say nothing of hurtful towards a perfectly decent and unselfish person.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2007 February 24, 14:40:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "liegenschonheit"
Oh scribble, you've converted me! What was I thinking being so utterly selfish by trying to make it easier for downloaders to get what they need? Obviously we should hold free CC creators on a pedestal and do whatever they ask because they have the decency to not charge us! I am deliriously misguided, thinking that credit and a link could ever be good enough.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Having a package completed with a mesh is much better for the downloader, and ofcourse the creator gets full credit and a link, but if they don't want it for some reason, then I think it would be better to just not use their mesh, send them an email explaining what you want to do and why, and if they would consider changing policies, because it won't hurt. If they still refuse, don't force it on them, but just don't use their meshes on your website anymore. When more and more sites adopt this policy, creators will see that it's not very convenient to do.
However if you upload without asking or carinf what they say, it will be seen as something negative, and that works counterproductive.

Now no sane creator would quit over something like this and I'm 100% sure that HP didn't. But if someone makes something for free, asking nothing in return only that the mesh stays somewhere, why take even that away?

Inactive
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 2007 February 24, 16:15:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the whole point. If you want people to use the things you make, you have to make it easy for them. Everybody uses simchic meshes because they allow redistribution. HP's are much better IMO, but will always be used less unless she changes her policy.

Lieg has taken the direct approach, but most people will either not use them at all or try to pass off the work as their own. So by not allowing redistribution of meshes, creators shoot themselves in the foot. It lessens the liklihood that their work will be used and less people will come to their site and give them warm fuzzies.

Control and wide distribution are mutually exclusive.
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 February 24, 18:40:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

^Gotta agree with you, there. That's sorta what people were trying to say before she flew off the handle in the other thread and insulted us all. Which really lowered my respect for her more than a couple notches.

And FYI guys, she's not leaving completely. Read her latest entry.
snadradeocconer
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2007 February 24, 19:05:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

O god, i hope she comes back she was one of the best freshfaced creators in our community. Plus she was all free.

ie Pay sites Die
:
TSR
Rose Sims
Sublisims
BlackPearl
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: 2007 February 25, 22:28:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, she could have done without the whole dramatic "I gotta take a break from this horrible community" crap though.

Just don't upload anything for awhile until you feel like it.  Creating should be fun and if it's no fun anymore, then take a break.  But don't start shit by talking about how bad the community is.  All that is going to do is start a bunch of shit... :roll:

(i.e., this thread)

:?

I'm an asshole in real life too, so now what?

Visit Pirate friendly Sim~Antics
The ISZ
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 February 26, 00:54:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll never understand why folks do this in this way.  My husband was a mesh creator for the Sims 1 and never acted like this, even when people said nasty or mean things.  He just had a much healthier attitude about it all.

He created things he wanted and liked and if other folks happen to like it that was a plus.  If folks didn't like it or bitched about it, so.  He never got caught up in the immature drama.  He got tons of emails from immature little 12 year olds screaming for this and that and telling him what he should make and so on.  He just laughed and blew it off.  He never asked for thank yous or praise and he never expected it.  If people did, that was a bonus.

If it is bothering you so bad that you feel you have to yank all or some of your stuff and rant about how bad it is, then maybe you might want to find another hobby that is not so stressing to you.  Taking a break is a great idea, but don't throw a fit and then come back the next day like nothing happened.  I agree with others that everyone at some point or another needs a break or just simply gets tired of doing it.  That is totally understandable.  

Sometimes people forget it's just a game and take things way too seriously.  It is just a game to me and that's all it ever will be.

o man is totally useless — he can always serve as a bad example.
Paysites Will Be Defeated!
RedLove
ARR!

Depressed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 2007 February 26, 01:07:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlackPearl"
Well, she could have done without the whole dramatic "I gotta take a break from this horrible community" crap though.

I understand what you are saying but just think if she hadn't said that somebody would have made a thread here asking where she disappeared too :lol: And then we'd have the whole Sims 2 community Pm'ing her and asking her where she was :lol:

wicked_one
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 February 26, 03:20:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wouldnt that (people missing her) require her to be gone for longer than a day?
Taking a break from creating would just mean not uploading for awhile. And I agree, most creators need a break away from it--sometimes several breaks a year lol. If she went awhile without uploading someone might pm her and ask about whether shes ever going to upload again, but taking a break from the community would mean being gone, removing yourself from it, and it doesnt appear that shes doing that at all.
So her outburst and shit-talking about the community was unnecessary. It led to more people checking out her threads though (people are suddenly posting on them more often now too) which is what she said she wanted before she had the outburst.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 February 26, 12:22:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well she must have chosen her forum name for a reason Cheesy   If she doesn't manage a hysterical paroxysm at least once in her simming career what's the point of it?

Our lil friend must be stopped.
darkangel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 February 26, 18:56:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sorry Liegen...why didn't you just...link to her mesh? It's not *hunting down* blahblahblah which takes forever...uuuuh...no? Seriously. If people don't appreciate the work and effort it takes to make a mesh and at least spend like...20 secons to click a link, wait 'til it's loaded and then download from MTS or whatever shitsite...meh. Screw those people then. Because they'll be the first who'll fall at your back.

It's just pure lazyness and ignorance and it doesn't help free creators. Period

pescado's fangirl*

sharing the free love, no hidden catch, no strings attached...just free love
<3
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2007 February 26, 20:45:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Darkangel, try reading this thread and the related one that was started by lieg before asking questions.  This question has already been answered repeatedly!  Pot. kettle. black. on the laziness you accuse her of.  So, for shame!  Shame on you!  ;p

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: