PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 22:05:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  nice message
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: nice message  (Read 24482 times)
Motoki
ARR!

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #30 on: 2006 November 07, 14:57:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

rosebud: SimsFreaks has the nerve to charge per item now for TS2 stuff. I thought that was rather haughty of them since almost no one else does that, you get subscriptions or packs of stuff at other places. Some of the stuff they are putting up is questionable too. They just put up some cats. Um, excuse me but why would I pay for some cat that someone made in the CAS? Even if I wanted too, there's TONS of free ones on the exchange and TSR. Tongue

minena: I agree with you. Just because someone can afford to put money out, doesn't mean they necessarily should or that they should let themselves get totally ripped off. I see people saying 'Oh I can afford it' or 'Oh it's no different than going to McDonald's or the movies' all the time as their rationale for paying for stuff, but the thing is if none of them did, there would be no pay sites and there will still be custom content. If people stopped eating McDonald's or going to the movies, they wouldn't give it away for free Tongue But this stuff is a hobby and is only pay because the community is buying it.

sickpuppy: That's a good point that the creators of the various hacks never charge. Honestly, of all the custom content I have Pescado's and TwoJeff's stuff by far modifies and improves my game experience the most and I wouldn't want to play without the phonehack, less whiny, nowhat's this, and a little the hacks that zap stupid annoying wants and socials and such.

Their stuff does a hell of a lot more in your game that some fake ass Krispy Kreme donut box that's decorative only.

In Communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #31 on: 2006 November 07, 18:24:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dincer does that too (charge per item), and it's totally lame.
PirateBooty
ARR!

View Profile WWW
nice message
« Reply #32 on: 2006 November 07, 19:02:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is totally lame.

I hope paysites become a thing of the past, however I can see popular creators like peggy not changing one bit. She probably won't be hurt much by it either.

url=http://www.scumbox.co.uk/urapirate.swf]A pirate's life for me![/url]
exnemsims exnemsims
Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
nice message
« Reply #33 on: 2006 November 07, 19:11:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Motoki"

sickpuppy: That's a good point that the creators of the various hacks never charge. Honestly, of all the custom content I have Pescado's and TwoJeff's stuff by far modifies and improves my game experience the most and I wouldn't want to play without the phonehack, less whiny, nowhat's this, and a little the hacks that zap stupid annoying wants and socials and such.

Their stuff does a hell of a lot more in your game that some fake ass Krispy Kreme donut box that's decorative only.

Yeah the creators of hacks, the creators of programs that allow you to create CC, the modders who spend hours figuring out how to make your games more awesome don't force you to pay a cent (um, seriously anyway).

And sickpuppy is absolutely right, it is greedy paysites who are ruining the community, not filesharers.  If Retail Sims would have taken a second to think about the situation before flipping out she would have concluded we are probably doing her site more good than harm.  If you are a simmer, who has some cash to spend, you are probably going to spend it somewhere that can give you something in return, and with sites like rosesims offering over 50 ($2.50) donation money just doesn't go far.  If you are a filesharer with cash you have a choice.  You can get the greedy sites stuff for free, take your cash and give back to sites that don't ask for donations, or do so in a way where it's not overdone and you feel they are honestly using the money for the way EA intended it to be used (bandwidth).

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
yamikuronue
ARR!

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #34 on: 2006 November 08, 02:23:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lauren"
I was around the Sims community when Livin Large was announced and I can assure you that paysites were not around then. People had already started to create objects, but no-one started charging till Mall of the Sims. The outrage it was huge. Then they all realised there was money to be made and they all started going pay.

When it comes to Sims2 charging was around before hand. WDS was defentitly charging for clothes before we even had the damn game! Most people were against it then and consedering how quickly this site address had spread, most are quite happy with these items being free.

OMFG

Lauren, you've caused me to have horrible flashbacks.

I remembered downloading things for TS1, but until this minute I didn't remember my outrage that MoTS went pay. I was devestated- having never been part of a modding community before I'd not realized this was abnormal, just that I loved their stuff and wanted it badly, but was a broke kid making literally $5 a week when they remembered to pay me. Now I've probably solved half my nuroseses thanks to recovering my repressed trauma!

Paysites must die! I'll sue!
Lauren
Landlubber

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #35 on: 2006 November 08, 11:09:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*giggles* Sorry!

The only site I ever paid for in S1 was WDS. They had some stunning stuff for Sims1. (the ballet room was divine!) Their Sims2 stuff, sadly is utter shite. As is SimFreaks. (charging per item? The fuck?) Come to think of it, is there really any hughely succesful S1 site that mad the switch? (TSR dosen't count)

I have paid for S2, but it was such an epedemic. I've now cancelled my TSR subscription and have no intention of ever paying again.
Lackey
ARR!

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #36 on: 2006 November 09, 02:43:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am feeling quite generous today and Surely found this, but I thought everyone would love to visit the forum that Lizard is an Admin at. I have to wonder if he would allow what Pescado has allowed?

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Carolines_Dove_Cote/index.php?http://s10.invisionfree.com/Carolines_Dove_Cote/
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #37 on: 2006 November 09, 02:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "yamikuronue"
Quote from: "Lauren"
I was around the Sims community when Livin Large was announced and I can assure you that paysites were not around then. People had already started to create objects, but no-one started charging till Mall of the Sims. The outrage it was huge. Then they all realised there was money to be made and they all started going pay.

When it comes to Sims2 charging was around before hand. WDS was defentitly charging for clothes before we even had the damn game! Most people were against it then and consedering how quickly this site address had spread, most are quite happy with these items being free.

OMFG

Lauren, you've caused me to have horrible flashbacks.

I remembered downloading things for TS1, but until this minute I didn't remember my outrage that MoTS went pay. I was devestated- having never been part of a modding community before I'd not realized this was abnormal, just that I loved their stuff and wanted it badly, but was a broke kid making literally $5 a week when they remembered to pay me. Now I've probably solved half my nuroseses thanks to recovering my repressed trauma!

Paysites must die! I'll sue!

YES!! Fuck!! It's all coming back to me now!!! I knew I remembered when the first site went pay, I just couldn't for the life of me remember what it was!! I remember when I first found it, and I was new to the internets, and my grandad had bought me a bootlegged copy of TS1 from, of all places, Malaysia, cos he knew I loved Sim City, and I found MoTS, first Sims site I ever found, when everything was still in its infacy, and was really quite touched and amazed that everything was FREE, and then discovered that all skins (this was before they worked out how to recolour objects) all over the place were FREE, and it was wonderful, and I was so happy, and the internets were a wonderful, beautiful place...........and then..............then MoTS went pay...and I was devestated...and then everything else went pay....and......oh. Sad

Also, don't get me started on SimFreaks. In the days of TS1, some, SOME of their stuff was good enough to consider paying for, I never did, but a friend did and we swapped files...but now...it's just a big crock o' shite...Sad

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
Being a Pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want cos a Pirate is free!
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
travellersside
Landlubber

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #38 on: 2006 November 09, 02:57:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lackey"
I am feeling quite generous today and Surely found this, but I thought everyone would love to visit the forum that Lizard is an Admin at. I have to wonder if he would allow what Pescado has allowed?

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Carolines_Dove_Cote/index.php?http://s10.invisionfree.com/Carolines_Dove_Cote/

<vomits>

Sorry. It'll wash out of the carpet, don't worry. Just needs a scrub and some hot, soapy water.

Anyway, I like cute things (and a lot of non-cute things too). I have pictures of kittens and birds and sickeningly sweet little deformed bunnies, but the header bar turns my stomach!

I look away and think "No, it cannot possibly be that the site is as bad as I believe!" Then I look back, and it is. Perhaps someone should explain what the word 'aesthetics' means. Preferably with a marlinspike.

As a final note, the board's colourscheme is in various shades of dog-turd yellow and brown. And guess who, right at the top of the page, gets credit for the choice of colours? That's right - our dear friend Lizard. I'm not sure if putting the name up there is for people to know who to praise... or to blame.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #39 on: 2006 November 09, 03:05:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. I missed that.

*vomits on the same spot travellersside did, out of consideration for only one point of cleaning*

That's....vile. I'm inclined to say the yellow is more a baby-poop shade, rather than a dog-poop shade.
God, once a friend of mine made a forum in that colour scheme. As a fucking JOKE!!

But bless, look, there's even a whole, special forum, for telling your birthday...

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #40 on: 2006 November 09, 03:11:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Lizard was trying to go for a muted colour palette, but failed so very hard.

Also, what in the world is a "cote"?  UrbanDictionary tells me that a cote is
"a crack-induced hallucination that begins a chain of reactions that ends with that person being totally screwed".
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #41 on: 2006 November 09, 03:18:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wiki sez!:

A dovecote or dovecot is a building intended to house pigeons or doves, which were an important food source in history. In Scotland the usual term is doocot, and the tradition is continued in modern urban areas.

You know, i think UrbanDictionary's definition may be more valid in this case.

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Ensign EO
ARR!

Not a cash cow.

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #42 on: 2006 November 09, 03:30:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh.  I didn't realise it was one word.  That would be the kind of mistake I would make.  Jeez.  :roll:

Either way, I don't see any doves or crack.  I'm disappointed.
travellersside
Landlubber

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #43 on: 2006 November 09, 04:11:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But the place is full of doves!

Haven't you read any of the posts? They're all *coo*ing placidly, so what else do you call them?

Admittedly, it's for a given value of 'full', since it seems that there aren't many people who actually hang out there.
jesserocket
ARR!

View Profile
nice message
« Reply #44 on: 2006 November 09, 15:36:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's....sparsely populated by doves? Cheesy

Do you think the Doves know what a meanie pest that their pet Lizard has been?

arr Harr Fiddledeedee,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: