PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:54:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  A question/suggestion to the moderators
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: A question/suggestion to the moderators  (Read 32030 times)
Silvercoin
ARR!

View Profile
A question/suggestion to the moderators
« Reply #60 on: 2007 February 02, 18:35:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Head, ass. Need I explain another of the ways those two things relate to you?

size=9]Yes, Americans are the cause of all the world's problems. We talk wrong, spell wrong, pollute the earth.. Feel free to spit at us if you happen to spot us in your part of the earth. --missangelica[/size]
yippee
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2007 February 02, 18:47:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "The ISZ"
I can see that opinions here are only ok as long as you agree with the majority.  I completely understand.  Got it, I'm right there with ya.

What you or anyone thinks of me is irrelevant.  I don't know you from squat.  

I don't just agree with the majority.  I tend to think for myself and have my own opinions.  The fact that you can't deal with that is your problem, not mine.

The fact that you're so free about your claims that women over thirty are blah blah will   make you a minority anywhere.  Except of course on countries that still treat women like shit.

f you still like watching cartoons and think the world is a nice warm place, FUCK YOU.  fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you.
Célimène
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007 February 02, 18:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Silvercoin"
Head, ass. Need I explain another of the ways those two things relate to you?

And the lucky recipient of your retort is?

:::::drumroll:::::
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2007 February 02, 20:09:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, in only five pages this thread went from "Protect the Children" to "Women over 30 are insane" including a parade of said children and women.  Never have I been more glad that I am ineligible to be included in either group. :p

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
The ISZ
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007 February 02, 20:46:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't want you to like me so you stating that everyone hates me means nothing.  But thanks for trying.  It's the effort that counts.

I just keep laughing at the fact that certain people cannot stand the opinions of others that differ from their own.  

I still stand by what I said regardless of what anyone thinks.  

I'm not the one that has their head up their ass.  At least I can deal with other peoples opinions without attacking them because I don't agree with it.  But hey, to each their own.  You have at it and enjoy yourself.

I will not be told to keep quiet by anyone in this joint or any forum for that matter.  I'm not a follower, thanks.

o man is totally useless — he can always serve as a bad example.
Paysites Will Be Defeated!
Célimène
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2007 February 02, 21:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't want you to like me so you stating that everyone hates me means nothing.
I will not be told to keep quiet by anyone in this joint or any forum for that matter.

I honestly don't know where you read any of that crap. For someone who keeps trying to defend herself about making sweeping generalizations, you might want to be sure people actually say the things you allude to before you post.

That said.

Your quoted statements regarding YOUR personal experiences and over 30 year women in internet forums IS a sweeping generalization.

I'll explain.

You are generalizing about a population based upon a sample which is too small to be representative. If the population is heterogeneous, then the sample needs to be large enough to represent the population's variability. With a completely homogeneous population, a sample of one is sufficiently large, so it is impossible to put an absolute lower limit on sample size. Rather, sample size depends directly upon the variability of the population: the more heterogeneous a population, the larger the sample required.

Suppose that you are cooking a pot of spaghetti, and you fish out a single strand to test for doneness. If it is done, then you conclude that all of the spaghetti in the pot is done. Here, your sample is one strand of spaghetti, and the population is the entire potful of pasta. Have you committed the sweeping generalization? No.

People - Heterogeneous (consisting of many different variables).

Spaghetti - Homogeneous (meaning the same throughout).

A broad generalization occurs anytime the sample is not big enough to represent the population.
The ISZ
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2007 February 02, 21:56:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason I keep talking about it is because you still keep saying that I am making a gross generalization when I am not.

I never said all women and I never said anything about statistics.  Please show me where I said all women over the age of thirty are like this.  I didn't.  I made a statement based on what I have come across.  That is not a generalization.  That is my opinion based what only I have seen.

I don't agree with you now and never will.  I did not make a gross generalization.  But it is ok.  We don't have to agree on it.

Sorry, I should have quoted, dorquemada, about the comment, "What a big deal, a bunch of strangers on the Internet don't like you. Cool".

Oh noes!!111eleventy, strange people on the "internets" don't like me!

:lol:

tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2007 February 02, 22:02:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My real life occupation deals with pensioners in their homes.  IMO they are all stuck in their ways and won't change a thing, to the detriment of their health.

This is my generalisation,  it is my opinion.  It is not a fact.

This is what The Isz was doing about women over 30 she has come across in the communities she visits.

She is not saying every woman over 30 is neurotic. But, in the Sims community, we do see a lot of it in women over 30, or who appear to be over 30.

I am an exception to this rule.

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
Scratch
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2007 February 02, 23:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think a few people need to pull out the dictionary and look up a few words...

Opinions are a statement of beliefs NOT a statement of facts...

Get a grip Célimène
toomanyguppys
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2007 February 02, 23:23:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I've found in my experience is that many people between the ages of 11 and 95 tend to take themselves and their own opinions much too seriously.

My own opinion, which I take absolutely seriously, btw, is that any given person tends to get along well with certain groups, and not so well with certain other groups.  When they don't get along well with a certain group they tend to blame the problem on the group, rather than themselves (or rather than taking an "oh well, to each his own" sort of attitude, which might be the better thing.)

Myself, for instance, I get along all right with teenagers and with guys over 30, but not so well with guys in their 20's--and it's just hit and miss where women of any age are concerned.  I find that most of 'em are dram---errr--more difficult for me to relate to.  Yeah, that's it.

Oh and I'm a woman and I'm 42, and I've been laughing my ass off at this thread because I can just picture all the indignant muttering and grumbling as the posts are being typed.

on't play leapfrog with unicorns
Célimène
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2007 February 02, 23:29:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have found that most of the people in forums and chat rooms that are annoying and act juvenile are women over the age of 30.  I don't know why this is, but I find them to be more of an irritant than the kiddies.  Of course this is not always the case.  I do realize that folks of all ages can be annoying and ignorant.

I don't agree with you now and never will. I did not make a gross generalization.

Those are your words ISZ. I haven't misquoted anything. You stand behind your words. Fair enough. Let's change a couple of words. It'll be fine though cause...

Quote from: "tIIsuggas"
This is my generalisation, it is my opinion. It is not a fact.

Rightyo then!

"I have found that most of the people in my neighbourhood and at my job that are lazy and promiscuous are blacks. I don't know why this is, but I find them to be less intelligent than the whites. Of course this is not always the case. I do realize that other races can be annoying and ignorant."

I'm NOT making a sweeping generalization of entire racial ethnic group. Why no, I merely expressing...

Quote from: "Scratch"
Opinions are a statement of beliefs NOT a statement of facts...

Grip on that ass monkeys.
Silvercoin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007 February 02, 23:40:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I honestly don't know where you read any of that crap.

I have come to the conclusion that you are completely and utterly incapable of comprehending common human speech. If it doesn't have some fancy ripped-from-a-dictionary term used every other word then you're clueless as to what is really being said. Allow me to hold your hand and walk you through this, okay?

I will not be told to keep quiet by anyone in this joint or any forum for that matter.

This comment was likely brought on by comments such as this:
The ISZ, give it up!

Generally, when one tells another to 'give it up', it means that they are expressing their desire for the offender to cease whatever actions have offended them. Another way of saying 'give it up', in this situation, would be to say 'shut up'. Telling someone to 'shut up' is what one does when they wish the other would cease talking. This commonly occurs when one either doesn't know what they're talking about, they do know what they speak of but it is a topic that offends conflicting opinions, or when two people are hiding in a dark alleyway and hoping to jump the nearest passerby.

Indeed, telling someone to 'shut up' (or 'give it up') is a method of trying to silence them (or 'keep them quiet'). Therefore, The ISZ was not delusional in believing that he or she was being told to 'keep quiet' (or 'silenced').

I don't want you to like me so you stating that everyone hates me means nothing.

This comment was likely brought on by comments such as this:
The fact that you're so free about your claims that women over thirty are blah blah will make you a minority anywhere.

The hostile hint in this comment may not be readily obvious, and certainly not definite. However, considering context, the word 'minority' is likely being used as a derogatory term. It is seemingly used to say "your opinion is lesser", and upon comparing The ISZ to chauvinistic men in other countries (who are looked upon with severe dislike, or 'hate', by some) is seemingly used to say "you are lesser".

Since the majority of responses to The ISZ's comments have been negative, and very nearly all of them (if not all) have been tainted with malice, these comments could lead the poster of the minority comment to believe that The ISZ is the opposite of popular, which is unpopular. So it is possible that by saying "you are in the minority", the poster of said comment could have meant that The ISZ was on the unpopular side, and the unpopular side in this situation is treated with mild or severe dislike and mockery. Thus, 'hate'. So it is not delusional for The ISZ to believe that he or she was being told they were disliked (or 'hated') from a comment that, with the proper context and a little 'reading into things' (which is where one collects data from and not from the offender and uses it to examine the situation in which something questionable and otherwise innocent is being said), could lead to such a deduction.

On another topic, concerning the issue of 'sweeping generalizations':

Could you please go back and read what I said again. I do believe I used the words, "my experience" which means what I have personally experienced myself. No where in there did I say if was a fact. I do believe I ended it with, "this is not always the case". This is my experience from the forums and chat rooms I frequent.

If one did not partake in the exact same activity as the one who offers some information, or if one is unable to present evidence that would contradict the information, then the information is indisputable. In this case you are disputing that which is possibly indisputable. If you wish to prove guilty the one who, to this point, is innocent, then you must collect the data that would negate the defenses of the innocent. Since you likely cannot, or will not, then the 'experience' (or 'event one has personally witnessed') of The ISZ cannot be claimed false since you do not share the exact same 'experience' nor do you have any proof to show the 'experience' to be false.

As for your example:
"I have found that most of the people in my neighbourhood and at my job that are lazy and promiscuous are blacks. I don't know why this is, but I find them to be less intelligent than the whites. Of course this is not always the case. I do realize that other races can be annoying and ignorant."

This is a statement that, while highly insulting, cannot be proved false and thus must be assumed to be true for your area. Since you do not make the assumption that all blacks are lazy and promiscuous, then your comments cannot be classified as a 'sweeping generalization', but rather a 'statement of opinion based on personal experience'. It is an acceptable, while limited, truth, even if it is inappropriate and insensitive to declare. In your examples you did not call the appropriateness of The ISZ's statements into question, but rather whether or not they were generalizations. They were not, and neither was your example.

Dolt.

Edit for clarity on this last bit. Wink

size=9]Yes, Americans are the cause of all the world's problems. We talk wrong, spell wrong, pollute the earth.. Feel free to spit at us if you happen to spot us in your part of the earth. --missangelica[/size]
tIIsuggas
ARR!

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2007 February 02, 23:43:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Célimène"

Grip on that ass monkeys.

Why are you resorting to name calling?

And, out of curiosity, how old are you?

"Tomatoes don't hurt" I said with a grin.
The next one did, it came in a tin.

My stuff at  MTS2
Célimène
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2007 February 03, 00:58:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Silvercoin: Well, I think you just tried too hard and overthought things a bit. A few misspelled words and a condemnation to Hell would have given this a more "real" feel. It sounds forced. Your opening and closing were nice, but the part in the middle just meandered into circular logic which well, made no sense. Could have done with a bit of editing too. Too wordy. M'kay? I can't properly argue with you if you don't present your opinions clearly. You get mad props for running it through spell check first though.

You sound like someone who thinks far too highly of herself and her place in the internet universe. All's not lost though always remember intelligence isn't finite. There's more than enough to go around, if one cares enough to grab a piece of it.

Quote from: "tIIsuggas"

And, out of curiosity, how old are you?

I was shrill, whiny and boring when you were still in diapers, tIIsuggas.
The ISZ
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2007 February 03, 01:16:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose now, Célimène, is going to ask us to take a spelling and math quiz over the "internets".  Should we go into chat and have a spelling bee?  :lol:

This is where arguments or disagreements usually end up when someone has run out pertinent things to say.  It starts with someone checking the spelling and grammar of someone who dares to post an intelligent well thought out response.  They then attempt to tell the person they are stupid, insult them and call them names.

It's ok, Célimène, I understand.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: