PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 19:58:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free site v. Filesharing site
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free site v. Filesharing site  (Read 5060 times)
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Free site v. Filesharing site
« on: 2007 January 10, 21:11:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid I just don't get it. What is the real difference between a free site and filesharing site. I DO see there is a difference, slight, but yes a difference, but to me, in the end analysis they're the same because the end result is the same.

This is a filesharing site. We are not sharing files like Photoshop or Final Cut or Adobe Writer or Sims 2 etc. All of these are clearly off limits, with clear definition, whether I agree with that definition or not...  We are sharing files that can not 'stand alone' and mean nothing outside of the game. We share only files that should have been free in the first place!

Delphy, while defending free sites--YAY! Good all over him, has defended banning people that even mention this site because it is 'filesharing.' This sounds a bit hypocritical of him, doesn't it?  :?
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 10, 21:14:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's more due to an idea that creators should be the ones to decide where their files are, more than it actually being morally wrong to share the files.  I don't know if I agree or not.

I don't think I would mind my art or writing being shared on a website that I didn't place them on, but I'd definitely want to know when it happened, and I would definitely be angry if I weren't credited.  That's not the case here, but if you didn't post your files somewhere yourself, you wouldn't be able to control whether you got credit, in theory.
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 10, 21:39:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Quinctia"
I don't think I would mind my writing being shared on a website that I didn't place them on.

Oh, I would. I'd be angry at the world. It's happened to me. But then again, the girl took TWO of my stories and didn't credit me. It took me and my friends about 20 complaints to get them taken down. She stole other people's work too.

There is a Russian site my friend was looking at, and the site had loads of Rose's stuff on it for download. She never said it was hers, but she didn't mention Rose once! It made me laugh. Now that's theft...

Us, we're a Free File Sharing Site, I think. Both. We freely advertise for other sites. Cheesy If the pay content is good that we stock, people (like me) search the sites for free content too! So I think we're both, but we lean on the side of advertising. ^^^^^^ Cheesy  Cool  :lol:

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 11, 00:02:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To put it another way, how would you feel if someone you hated put your work up? What if they did it specifically to make fun?

Most people do feel that putting other people's work up without permission is disrespectful- respect being the only way to "pay" free creators.

This site is punishing paysites not just monetarily, but by withholding that respect.
It's hard to get people to agree to the extent or validity of any form of punishment, so it's natural that this will piss off the brutally nice Sims community. Especially since this is not a nice-nice site.
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 11, 00:09:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "LesserOr"
Especially since this is not a nice-nice site.

We're just honest. That's all.

Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 11, 00:23:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If this site was trully evil there would be illegal copies of Sims 2 to DL, software like Photoshop, music, movies. There are probably lot more higher filesharing if you go by sims readmes. Mom buys donation set, puts a copy in her game, her kids, her husbands, gives it to friends. Why not they just put it in their game and play with it, not hurting anyone...oh thats right that was $5 a pop that site didn't get, yeah, just need it for operation costs, its all about making money.

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 11, 04:15:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If someone just put up my writing with my name attached to it, like the files are here, I wouldn't stress over it.  It's just not worth it.  And people use some of the graphics I make without credit or fuss--I host a free-use icons community on livejournal.  If you post icons/graphics to my community, it's a way to say "up for grabs" and also a place to prove that the icons don't require credit, as the site is full of people who dramawhore about giving credit to icon creators.

Now I've had someone upload a story of mine to fanfiction.net and that made me mad.  No credit to me, horrible formatting...and the story was already on the site.

So I wouldn't necessarily appreciate someone uploading without asking, I wouldn't really get angry about it unless they pretended it belonged to them.
Captain Feathersword
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 11, 08:42:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Filesharing is mainly a paysite issue. If all files were free, you just point people towards the creator and everyone is happy.
I honestly don't understand how free creators can be against the sharing of their creations. If they didn't want anyone to have the file, they wouldn't upload it and if they put it out there without a price tag, does it matter how people get it as long as they know who made it?

ell, defile me with a barnacled fork!   -   Cuss-o-matic for all your epithet needs.

Join my imaginary cult. The consequences of refusal are worse than you imagine.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 11, 11:29:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To put it another way, how would you feel if someone you hated put your work up? What if they did it specifically to make fun?

Utterly unsurprised. This sort of behavior is expected from people you kinda already hate.

Most people do feel that putting other people's work up without permission is disrespectful- respect being the only way to "pay" free creators.

That is the point. Worth noting, however, is that respect is not something that is implicit. You are not inherently entitled to respect. Respect is something that must be earned. People who demonstrate that they have no respect for established standards of the gaming community should not be terribly surprised if the gaming community reciprocates with a similar lack of respect.

It's hard to get people to agree to the extent or validity of any form of punishment, so it's natural that this will piss off the brutally nice Sims community. Especially since this is not a nice-nice site.

Probably. But I'm a known asshole. I am also heavily armed (and hunger for blood). Do I really care how many whine sims-people I piss off, especially seeing as I never liked them in the first place? What are they gonna do, track me down, and show up at my door so I can flay them alive with toenail clippers for amusement?

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 11, 16:43:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Captain Feathersword"
Filesharing is mainly a paysite issue. If all files were free, you just point people towards the creator and everyone is happy.
I honestly don't understand how free creators can be against the sharing of their creations. If they didn't want anyone to have the file, they wouldn't upload it and if they put it out there without a price tag, does it matter how people get it as long as they know who made it?

I don't particularly want people offering my work on their site.  In my mind... that is what my site is for Smiley

But I don't care if it's part of a larger package, like on a sim or in a house (for the 2 pieces of furniture I have, lol)

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 11, 17:02:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see the sense in grabbing, let's say. Doursims'outfit and putting it on my site for download. Unless I wanted credit for it. So it's kind of dumb.

Inactive
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 11, 17:19:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I've had someone upload a story of mine to fanfiction.net and that made me mad.  No credit to me, horrible formatting...and the story was already on the site.

Exactly what happened to me. Same site. Somebody hacked me and so I posted my stuff on another site and my account got wiped. Then this girl comes along, takes my stuff off the other site, I go back on ffnet under a new name and suddenly a reviewer of mine tells me she just read the story under another name! Boy was I fuming...what made it worse was the girl had the gall to change the summary but to leave the author's notes!! Ugh, MysticWhite. If you ever encounter her...but she stole loads of Harry Potter stories so if you don't do that you'll be safe.

She had more reviews than I do. That annoyed me.

If someone just put up my writing with my name attached to it, like the files are here, I wouldn't stress over it.

I'd be honoured!!

Nouk, what you said there was right. There isn't any point. So the fact that we do what is unexpected is different and unique, and not theft when it could be. This site isn't about claiming to have done all of this--it wouldn't wash anyway. I mean, we could create user accounts with each of the pay creators' names and reasons of compliance, but we don't because we're not about that. So ultimately it may be unlikely but it's not impossible.

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
flyonthewall
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 January 12, 00:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This site is punishing paysites not just monetarily, but by withholding that respect.

Hm, I've never thought of it that way before.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy/]peggy sims 2[/url]peggy sims 2peggy sims 2
LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 January 12, 04:17:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To clarify my previous reply: I was just trying to explain the mindset, not what I believe.
I wouldn't care if someone shared my free stuff (that's kinda what it's for.)
You should automaticlly assume that anything you put up on the internet will be shared and eventually stolen or mis/discredited. If you can't accept that, you shouldn't be uploading.
And "Oh no, someone doesn't like my stuff! They're a horrible person, kill them!" is childish.

Quote from: ".torque."
Especially since this is not a nice-nice site.

We're just honest. That's all.

Trust me, it wasn't an insult. You can only take so much "Oopsie! You said the D-word! And the W-word!" and "Don't say 'sex'! The Sims don't have 'sex', they 'woo-hoo!'" and "How dare you mention the floodfill! The creator shed tears of blood making it for you!"

Quote from: "Pescado"
People who demonstrate that they have no respect for established standards of the gaming community should not be terribly surprised if the gaming community reciprocates with a similar lack of respect.

Which is why I support this site. Frontier justice is necessary sometimes.

Quote from: "Pescado"
Probably. But I'm a known asshole.

That just adds spice to the outrage. If one of the sticky-sweet darlings had done the same thing, I don't think the reaction would have been much better.

Quote from: "flyonthewall"
Hm, I've never thought of it that way before.

That's why people who aren't involved get so angry at this site.
Breaking little social rules really pisses some people off, because it breaks the politeness system. They assume the tiny break (even when needed) will shatter the whole system.

PMBD shares payfiles  :arrow:  
No one will want to make content anymore, for fear of it being shared without permission.

You forget to say "Thank you" to my grandmother  :arrow:  
Civilization crumbling, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 January 12, 17:01:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess this site does 'punish' but I veiw it more like: This site corrects a huge wrong and does so for the good of the community.  

This site has made so many games for so many simmers so much more fun. Isn't that what it's all about?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: