PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 08:34:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement  (Read 37584 times)
bethgael
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
« Reply #120 on: 2007 January 20, 02:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "maxon"
Quote from: "LesserOr"
Tangentially, this reminded me of a girl I knew in college who was always talking about how she was going to be an Author.
Because of this (Huh) she was mortally offended by the fact that libraries stocked fiction.

She thought it was criminal that the library allowed people to steal money out of Author's pockets by letting so many people read books for free.

That is so funny - I'm going to use that somewhere.  As long as you don't get offended.

:lol: That is funny.

It's also not true. The girl was seriously misinformed -- people can read from libraries for free, but the libraries pay licensing fees to be libraries, usually to a copyright council or some such organisation, who then uses those fees to pay the publishers of those books for their use. The publishers than add a proportionate amount to their author royalties, usually on an annual basis.

God, I hope not. All I remember is that it was some kind of horrible "Great American Novel" thing (with male prostitutes! I remember that part!) and she was convinced it was going to make her rich.

Hoookay, now I just snorted coffee out my nose. Writing as a way to make you rich. Gods, oh, gods, my great aunt Laura, don't I just wish. It's people like that who make editors tired. It's people like this who submit crappy first drafts written in crayon with a cover letter that states, "Plz read mi books. My moms just loves it and my frends do too."

Quote from: "Pescado"
I take it she never became an author, on account of being a complete MORON, because how many real authors do you hear of objecting to libraries?

No objections here.  Cheesy

And now that I've read the rest of the thread...

Delphy (and others), I believe someone can actually be anti-filesharing and still pro the booty.

I've downloaded stuff from the booty, and I am avidly not pro-filesharing. Sounds like a contradiction, I suppose.

Not really, if you think of it in legal & logical terms.

Everyone (including Paysites) made an agreement when they installed the game to make any custom content free, for the benefit of the community. Paysites aren't making the content free to the community.

Now, EA gave everyone who bought and paid for the game the right to the content created using their code. EA-given user rights over-rules paysite "tos", and you are not denying anyone their legal monetary dues by sharing the booty files, as the legal right is owned by EA and they have already given people redactive permission to access any and all of those files. In fact, as the files were bought from those sites in the first place, they've actually still made money they weren't entitled to.

OTOH, I would unequivocably not advocate hacked programmes, warez, music, etc. (except under "fair use", by which I don't mean copying stuff and reselling it), because the sharers of those files have no right to share them, and they are denying the legal rights of the legal owners of that IP to make their income as they see fit from their own property.

I hope that makes sense.

LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2007 January 20, 02:42:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "maxon"
That is so funny - I'm going to use that somewhere.  As long as you don't get offended.

Sure? I wasn't the only one blessed by her, so I don't see why you can't...use it somewhere. Smiley

I should also point out, she was against used bookstores for the same reasons. That's just not as insane as her library hate. :roll:

Quote from: "bethgael"
The girl was seriously misinformed -- people can read from libraries for free, but the libraries pay licensing fees to be libraries, usually to a copyright council or some such organisation, who then uses those fees to pay the publishers of those books for their use. The publishers than add a proportionate amount to their author royalties, usually on an annual basis.

Believe me, I (and several other people) tried to explain this.
Add in that libraries are funded via taxation, so those people reading "for free" were actually paying a rental fee.
Her counter-argument (after sulking) was that these deals were made with the publisher, not the author (usually true) and the fee is not identical to the money the author would get for selling books to all those readers. (...)

There was never a way to get around her idea that no one should be able to read her deathless prose unless she got every penny per page.

But hey, I sincerely hope that if she did write that book, she found a way to keep it out of the library...
bethgael
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: 2007 January 20, 03:06:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Her counter-argument (after sulking) was that these deals were made with the publisher, not the author (usually true) and the fee is not identical to the money the author would get for selling books to all those readers.

Now I'm eating carpet... cos, of course, publishers, like, don't sign contracts with authors or nuthin' covering these things... and agents do know what to look for...

But then, she's probably anti-agent, too, because agents get a full 15% of the approx $1.19 or so per book sold that authors receive for all of the work they do trying to sell the stuff in the first place.  :roll:

Thankyou LesserOr. Had my belly laugh for the day. 'Tis good medicine. Cheesy

icedwhitemocha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2007 January 20, 03:47:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy (and others), I believe someone can actually be anti-filesharing and still pro the booty.

I've downloaded stuff from the booty, and I am avidly not pro-filesharing. Sounds like a contradiction, I suppose.

Not really, if you think of it in legal & logical terms.

Everyone (including Paysites) made an agreement when they installed the game to make any custom content free, for the benefit of the community. Paysites aren't making the content free to the community.

Now, EA gave everyone who bought and paid for the game the right to the content created using their code. EA-given user rights over-rules paysite "tos", and you are not denying anyone their legal monetary dues by sharing the booty files, as the legal right is owned by EA and they have already given people redactive permission to access any and all of those files. In fact, as the files were bought from those sites in the first place, they've actually still made money they weren't entitled to.

OTOH, I would unequivocably not advocate hacked programmes, warez, music, etc. (except under "fair use", by which I don't mean copying stuff and reselling it), because the sharers of those files have no right to share them, and they are denying the legal rights of the legal owners of that IP to make their income as they see fit from their own property.

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you, beth... you've expressed my own opinion much better than I ever could have.  I don't consider myself a "filesharer" in more than the most literal terms (yes, :roll: I *share* *files*) because I don't condone the illegal distribution of music, movies, software, etc.  And because I know one of you will ask: yes, I have a legal version of PS.  My father had a license for an older version through his former employer and paid for the upgrade to CS.

Of course I'm not gonna report anyone to the Adobe police or whatever, or look down on someone for using pirated software, but I personally would rather just pay the money.

KA Polonius.
Exnem sims
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2007 January 20, 03:58:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

filesharing, ea sims game CC i support it should be all free, but thats different than bootlegging the game itself, or dling music, videos etc, which all illegal. The filesharing we are doing here is legal. We are only considered illegal by the paysites who got it backwards. They are in the wrong not we.

Cheesy

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
AnneBonny
ARR!

Currently doubting your existance

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 2007 January 20, 04:41:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not opposed to file-sharing in any shape or form. It's more fun that way. Sharing is caring afterall.  :wink:

“Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.”
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2007 January 20, 05:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "icedwhitemocha"
Quote from: "jesserocket"
Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but if the only thing you have is rights, the only place you're going is in circles.

Best. Quote. Ever.

Agreed.  *writes it down*

Wrong. (Assuming rights are 90 degrees.) Squares or rectangles would be the only possibility. :wink:  

"File Sharing" seems to mean different things to different people.
Napster was "File Sharing". CC from the Sims 2 is not in the category of a product with "Intellectual Rights". I have no issue whatever with sharing game content, not now, not in the past.  The giving of proper credit is a courtesy that is very impolite to omit, but not much more than just rude boorishness if not included.  It is not the end of the world for a "Creator".
If I include uncredited CC in an upload, it because of a typo, not paying attention, bad hair day, etc., not intent to steal.
As said before, if your stuff is so precious you cannot lose control of it, DON'T UPLOAD IT WHERE THE PUBLIC CAN DOWNLOAD IT!

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Soup Parrot
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2007 January 20, 06:00:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lemmie in a nutshell, my words what your saying Smiley Keep it to yourself, once its out on the internet it takes on a life of its own, it now is no longer exclusively yours. So if you love it dont share your creation if you dont want others to have it. Cool

fficial Sim Club member in all Sim World: Nouk, Marcossi, Moune, Orange Mittens, Nengi,, Fanseelamb, to many to list thei the best.
LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2007 January 20, 06:48:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I'm eating carpet... cos, of course, publishers, like, don't sign contracts with authors or nuthin' covering these things... and agents do know what to look for...

Well she suffered for her art, you know.
And self-publishing houses have to get clients from somewhere. Tongue
bethgael
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: 2007 January 20, 10:52:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

:lol:  

Darnit. I am going to have to remember to swallow my drinks before I open your posts.

« Reply #130 on: 2007 January 20, 17:01:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"
Quote from: "icedwhitemocha"
Quote from: "jesserocket"
Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but if the only thing you have is rights, the only place you're going is in circles.

Best. Quote. Ever.

Agreed.  *writes it down*

Wrong. (Assuming rights are 90 degrees.) Squares or rectangles would be the only possibility. :wink:  

Wrong again. You're assuming travel in straight lines where none was stated. Please stop trying to ruin perfectly good jokes with poor attempts at looking smart. It's very trying.
maxon
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2007 January 21, 22:54:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "LesserOr"
Sure? I wasn't the only one blessed by her, so I don't see why you can't...use it somewhere. Smiley

I should also point out, she was against used bookstores for the same reasons. That's just not as insane as her library hate. :roll:

Ah - don't you just love the differently sane?
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2007 March 05, 23:39:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I liked that post at MTS 2, it makes me think that things are looking up for scuttling the pay sites and all. Plus, it says that they are going to stay free and it mentioned people who did lots of good stuff. If that seems simplistic, sorry, my coffee buzz has worn off and I'm about to hit the bed...

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: