PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 09:45:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement  (Read 37597 times)
sickpuppy
ARR!

View Profile
Delphy's MTS2 2007 Mission Statement
« Reply #30 on: 2007 January 09, 19:02:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the change was made with an accomanying front page about it, everyone would see it.

I don't know what Franks stance is on this subject. I think probably teadrinker is the 'messenger of choice' here, only one I know for sure that is on this forum and participates on his. ?
torque
ARR!

all I wanna do, wanna take your moneys!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 January 09, 19:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "kattenijin"
Quote from: ".torque."
Quote from: "sickpuppy"
Reading through the thread, someone suggested Delphy put a disclaimer on the Meshtool 'no paysites blah blah.' As Delphy pointed out, it would be impossible to inforce or prove.

However, IF there was a disclaimer on SimPE--how could they make an item without using SimPE?  --it would be proven. There may be no 'punishment' but the fact that everyone KNOWs it was made with SimPE and therefore selling the package would be a vilolation of Quaxi's terms of use--that could be enough to deter at least some 'buyers' from buying. ?

I agree. But I think it's too late to change the TOS for SimPe now.

Actually, the TOS can be changed at any time. Also, it is the responsability of the USER of a tool to keep current with the TOS, the creator isn't required to make any notification (however polite it may be to do so).

Well, that'd be great if they did change the TOS.  Cheesy

Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2007 January 09, 20:16:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right.  I know it may be difficult to absolutely prove (though everyone would know), it would definitely make them all look bad in the eyes of the community, which is a vast improvement over the toleration of paysites.

If I had made SimPE, I would do it.  I may have done it earlier.
Brn Pyrate Grrl
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 January 09, 20:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy's statement is most def a step in the right direction. And yes, I think that boycotting of TSR, Peggy & Rose would send a message to them: Your thievery and bullshit excuses are not the business anymore. We don't believe you.... you need more people!

eath to greedy scum sucking leprous asshole infested Paysites... arrrg!!!
Riddick
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 January 10, 00:43:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was very happy to see Delphy's views on Paysites and i know this will make a big difference to the Paysite v/s Free issue.
anelca
Landlubber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2007 January 10, 02:46:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it is a good statement and i applaud the sentiments expressed

but we have yet to see whether those greedy sods and "exclusivists" will actually take any notice

ever the cynical pessimist, me :oops:
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 January 10, 03:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MTS2 is a biggie in the community. If Delphy's statement is widely publicized it will have an impact. Probably much bigger than PMBD. PMBD is a catalyst, but the ball needs to picked up by larger players. The key may be letting the newbies, sheeple, and  whomever else who is not up on the issue know about it. Maybe a Google bomb of Delphy's manifesto would help.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 January 10, 03:07:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, MTS2's mission statement is an important step in the right direction.  I think it's a good statement (though I had to force myself not to skim and actually read it Tongue)
watergirl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 January 10, 03:19:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lurker here but it has to be said that your trouble making ways helped bring about much of this change in the Sims community.  Thanks for having the guts to stand up to all the pay sites and helping us to see the truth. Keep up with the file sharing because that does keep pressure on them. I for one will no longer pay a dime to any pay site.
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 January 10, 03:19:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In reply #9 the first site he thanks is MATY. That is amusing.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
Scurv-aceous
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 January 10, 03:26:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was very happy to see Delphy's mission statement for 2007.  MTS2 is a very large site and reaches so many people.  It is great to get this info out to everyone.  The winds of change are beginning to blow...
Aquamarine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 January 10, 07:35:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that was an excellent end to the day (I had to resist tl;dr impulses as well, but I made it through). It manages to adequately express what people have been trying to say on this issue all along. Huzzah.
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 January 10, 07:41:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WARNING! Possible silly sentiments and feelings ahead.
I'm feeling a bit stupid, but I think the message this video suggests fits perfectly with the concept of Pescado and MATY's "troublemakers" and the avalanche effect on the community.

Just adjust proportions a bit (heh, nobody is Gandhi, or Einstein Cheesy - and sims2 community is not "mankind"), and forget for a moment that this is an Apple commercial, and you'll set Wink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lExYZdw6AUI

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
Captain Flint
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 January 10, 08:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is a great day when Delphy shows the world of simmers what the whole concept of sharing means Kudos to that.

Numenor Confuses me in a matter about Free vs Pay?

on about pg 3' of this subject delphy wrote, numenor points out how bad it is for those who have gone pay with what they have learned for free.

Delphy, your words made me put together some pieces of a bigger puzzle...
Atavera has recently quit modding because he felt sick about the modding community, that is every day more "pay-oriented" - if we can say so.
I myself can't help but shiver with annoyance every time I recognize in a TSR Featured Artist, or a new paysite owner someone who learned (for free!) everything he knows here at MTS2, or that I've personally helped with his creations, and now he gets paid for them!
How different is the current scenario, compared with the one we used to know two years and half ago (when I joined MTS2)! And I'm not only talking about modders that move to paysites: I'm also talking about the adventurous spirit that animated us while creating the MeshTool, SimPE, the CEP; a spirit that it's hard to find today, where thestress is put more on the final "product" than to the "process" that lies behind it. I'm talking about the collaboration we used to have with the Maxoids, the thrill to have a recolour package created by me tested by Maxis' engineers (at 3AM, local time ), the total co-operation we established within the Dream Team while creating the Grand Trianon, each of us actively working on each piece of the set, and not just putting together items autonomously created by each modder...

Times have changed, undoubtedly, and I don't deny that sometimes I feel like a dinosaur (this perhaps explains why I enjoyed the Simstone set so much!  ).
But your poem (errmm... I mean your post ) has put everything in the right perspective: past is past, but after all we still "feel the thrill" when we break a boundary, learn a new thing, and realize that with our help or our creations we have improved other people's gaming experience.

This "thrill" is the common trait that joins all the free sites, and that pay sites will never experience.

Oh, and BTW, isn't it silly to pay for something you can get for free? ;P

but was'nt he one of the people who allowed the CEP to be placed on any site "Including Paysites"?

Recolour packages created for CEP objects can be posted on any site (including paysites); in any case, the creator must advertise *each* download as a "CEP Recolour" and add a *link* to this thread; you can also use an official CEP icon, containing a link to this CEP page. Alternatively, the provided link can point to a local CEP Info Page that must contain a link to this thread. Credits for each download are optional if there is a local CEP Info Page that contains proper credits to Numenor, RGiles and Quaxi.

Objects created by cloning CEP objects can be posted on any site (including paysites); No link to this thread, nor credits are required, though they would be greatly appreciated.

If this could have been prevented in the begining when people asked that it stay for the free only, then maybe about 30% of the pay sites would not have the stability they have now,

Would all of this have prevented Simpe from allowing "Paysites" to use his product as well? did Numenor have a helping hand in that?

I am glad they are finaly realizing this may have been a horible mistake from the get go but the cep still states it can be used on any paysite...

Will Numenor be removing that statement now? I surely hope so!

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/exnem]Exnem[/url] Exnem
Sims 2
LesserOr
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 January 10, 10:37:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "sharing" line is an excellent stroke. It appeals to the genuinely nice and the genuinely greedy alike.

I'd like to thank Special Guest Villain TSR.
Almost everyone combed through the rotation, and having that cut off exposed a nerve.

Quote from: "Captain Flint"
Numenor Confuses me in a matter about Free vs Pay?

There's going to be a lot of this now that MTS has come out anti-paysite. A lot of creators and modders do hate paysites, but they either didn't want to make waves or they didn't agree with free-sharing the pay files. They didn't want to be tarred with the same brush as PMBD.

And yes, some of them are going to jump in and declare anti- just because the cool crowd has. Such is life, and better that than the alternative.

That said...from what I've seen before, Numenor is sincere.

If this could have been prevented in the begining when people asked that it stay for the free only

This is hindsight.
Remember that in the beginning, paysites mostly were just a different way of gathering bandwidth donations, and hosting cost was a legitimate problem.

At the time, the issue with paysites was that people didn't want to pay and didn't want to lose their favorite sites, not that businesses were setting up shop and harming the free community.

For-profit sites mostly came about after free and reasonably-priced hosting returned, and they didn't spring up all at once. It's only in the last couple of years that it's become epidemic.

It's not the fault of Numenor and Co. that people have played fast-and-loose with the bandwidth permission. I doubt anyone expected EA would let it come to the point where blatant commercial sites have no fear of retribution.

Will Numenor be removing that statement now? I surely hope so!

I wouldn't count on it, at least not for now. For one thing, it's completely unenforceable, and would turn some people off (failure to share).
If this snowballs, perhaps later. And it already is- Insim has an announcement up as well, though it's more subtle.

Now all we need is for a few of the more volatile paysite owners to have a litter of conniptions. That would drive the point home nicely.

Come on, dramaqueens! You know you want to!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: