PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 09:14:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  The Sims2-community are a bunch of nutters!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Are we all a bunch of nutters?  (Voting closed: 2006 December 30, 00:13:51)
Yes. You need a screw loose to be a part of an online game community anyway. - 33 (20.9%)
Yes, but not all of us. The nutters just stand out more! - 37 (23.4%)
No, maybe we're just more extravagant and different. Not nuts! - 6 (3.8%)
No, not at all. - 2 (1.3%)
I TOLD YOU NOT TO PUT MY HAIR ON FAT SIMS DAMNIT! - 80 (50.6%)
Total Voters: 122

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Sims2-community are a bunch of nutters!  (Read 44038 times)
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
The Sims2-community are a bunch of nutters!
« on: 2006 December 30, 00:13:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(And I'm not talking about the forum that's named that way.)

Why?

* The community accepts usermade paysites and payitems.
We pay for stuff that is not supported by Maxis/EA, is being sold illegally, and like all usermade stuff, is officially still in testing (because it's not made by EA and is not guaranteed to not screw up your game). Also, the stuff is often defected, low quality, or damaging to your game. The community still keeps these sites going, partly by not knowing better, and partly because they just want pretty stuff and are willing to pay.

*At least half the creators of CC are completely bonkers!
As alot (not all) of artists and creative people, some Sims2 creators show some typical and extreme behaviour.
Some automatically expect large amounts of praise, popularity, recognision, or even payment for their stuff. Some even quit because they don't get noticed right away.
Some also require large amounts of attention. Some like negative, some like positive, some like both. Just give alot of it! If there isn't enough feedback, they do something drastic to get more.
Some get their ego's to blow out of proportions and treat everyone like 'beneath them'. Just for creating something for a game.
Some let it controll their lives. They get all the respect they need in the community (something they might not get in the real world, and when it gets less, they again, do something drastic.
Some have ridiculous demands for stuff they made. Not even EA asks you not to use certain hair on fat sims, now do they? And they think it's normal because they made it!
(Can't say I'm completely sane either.)

*Sims 2 is like Barbies. With even less imagination needed. Why all the fuss?
You dress em, you feed em, you make stories out of them, etc etc, some fancy stuff added to play around with.
And this game is taken so extremely seriously, that:
- you can make enemies for life on a sims2 forum
- you can watch more drama ensue in one minute than in your daily dosis of soap opera's
- some people make a blog for their sim. Like it's a pet or a kid. WTH?
- you can steal, rip off, screw people over with sims 2 content

Luckily this stuff is changing. We're seeing that the community doesn't just accept things the way they are anymore, and are becoming more critical about their own and eachothers behaviour!

Tell me what you think!

Inactive
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 30, 00:28:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of the things I see Sims 2 creators do I've seen a lot in the genre art community, which attracts a lot of young and/or naive artists who aren't very well versed in what is acceptable and what isn't. For example, I see new artists automatically expecting large amounts of praise just for making art, throwing tantrums if their art doesn't get attention, have overblown egos if they do get praise, and seemingly let art issues and drama control their lives.

Most of where it differs is in the sheer amount of wank and tantrum throwing. In the Sims 2 community this sort of silliness seems to happen far more often, perhaps because since it's a sandboxy everyone game, it attacts many more people than something, like drawing, that requires some amount of dedication and skill to get into in the first place - and, ergo, it gets many more very young, very naive, and/or very immature people who throw tantrums even more easily and about even weirder things.

I'm not aware of any equivalent of the bizarre ToS restrictions some creators, have, though. That's an insanity completely unique to this community. *L*

Quote from: "Nouk"

Not weird. It's called role-playing, the grown up form of let's pretend, and boils down to free-form acting. Where it gets insane is when the player starts treating their characters like really real people and conflating character drama with real drama.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 30, 00:42:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, the community is bonkers. But

- you can make enemies for life on a sims2 forum
- you can watch more drama ensue in one minute than in your daily dosis of soap opera's

Number one and two are fun Cheesy. They also aren't very rare; though they seem to happen a lot in the TS2 community, they happen everywhere on the internet. Number 3 may not qualify as "normal", but it can be cool if done right. 4, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 30, 01:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meaning: people get ripped off buying Sims 2 stuff, wich is coding and pixels, but seems very important. Also, one creator can steal or copy from another creator and a huge fight ensues. Sims 2 content and people handeling it is a cause for alot of annoyances and grief. Just for a game.

Inactive
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 30, 01:05:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Nouk"

Meaning: people get ripped off buying Sims 2 stuff, wich is coding and pixels, but seems very important. Also, one creator can steal or copy from another creator and a huge fight ensues. Sims 2 content and people handeling it is a cause for alot of annoyances and grief. Just for a game.

Eh, the crazy little wannabe artists pull that shit too. Want to get one to throw a giant tantrum? Draw a character with similar colouring/clothing/markings to theirs.
Nana
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 30, 01:07:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not everyone is a nutter. I think because creating for the Sims is 'creative' and artistic (if you're talented, that is) you will get the same sort of fringe egomaniacs that you find in 'acting,', 'writing,' and 'art.'

Some people just crave thanks. I think we all like people to enjoy what we make.  Just certain 'unstable' people go overboard.

Sometimes we need to be reminded it's just a game.  A fun and time consuming game, true, but still just a game. Smiley

The only people who annoy me are the ones that think what they do makes them above everyone and SAY IT like the rest of us are 'losers'.
graniaomalley
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 30, 01:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I poke around on both Deviant Art and Harry Potter fan sites.

Basicly everyone on the internt is a nutter. I just assume that and usually am correct.
anelca
Landlubber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 December 30, 02:25:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

even worse....
putting your hair on a fat FEMALE  sim

HAH  :lol:
lucy_fell
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 December 30, 03:18:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, the Sims2 community is nuts.

And just to prove to you how crazy we are, I'm going to create fat Sims and put your hairs on them to piss you off.

Then I will create sockpuppet LJs for each of my Sims and have them all fangirl me on their LJ so I can feel Internet-famous.

Finally, I will steal all of the pay hair meshes on PMBD, make crappy hairs, upload them on a Freewebs site and charge $3 per hair or $100 for the whole set. You must absolutely credit me for every screencap, movie and story where you use my hair. Oh, and I won't accept Paypal. You pay by bank transfer if you want the awesomeness that is my pay hairs.

By the way, you can ONLY use my hairs on male Filipino Sims. Even the blond and pink ones. (Red hair? What's that?) And you can't refit them for female Sims. Or else I will throw a shitfit and stop sharing my hairs. I will only post pictures of them so you can worship me. I will bask in the collective glow of your adoration and MAYBE come back if enough sheeple grovel at my virtual feet. :twisted:

Ah! But one of my Sims is named Lucy Fell. And she might become full of her own self-importance because she is named after me but she's not a self-Sim therefore she's prettier than me! Oh noes! She might rally my fanSims against me and steal MY meshes! Worse, she might post a stupid story on S2C that all the sheeple will love and not give me credit for my hairs! Oh noes!
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 December 30, 03:42:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lucy, I almost peed my pants. That was amusing. I will be sending you the cleaning bill for my monitor and replacing my keyboard.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
lucy_fell
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 December 30, 04:00:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"
lucy, I almost peed my pants. That was amusing. I will be sending you the cleaning bill for my monitor and replacing my keyboard.

Sure, but I can only pay you once the donations start coming in. See, I have to spend 30-40 hours creating each hair, which means I have to quit my job so I can devote all my time to this hobby that I do out of pure love of the game only.

Oh, and I don't know how to make hairs, so I have to read tutorials first. Perhaps I should also ask for donations because I can't work while reading tutorials. Unless you would like to make hairs for me. I'll totally give you a 5% cut from the donations. That should be enough to cover cleaning and keyboard replacement costs. :wink:
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 December 30, 04:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*desperately tries to arrange bank transfer at 8:00 pm*

Riddick
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 December 30, 04:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My perceptions have changed a lot of the last couple of days.  I joined the Sims community after they had already put all of their rules in place and like i blind man, i just followed.  Little did i know it's all about who can find the best "resources" on the net to "sell".  I must add, though, there are true artists out there who do create from scratch and offer their CC for FREE.

Yeah, i think we are all a little nuts to get so involved.  For goodness sake, it's only a game.

:arrow: Runs to go see "the latest drama in the community".... :arrow:
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 December 30, 04:39:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I am concerned, the drama is much more fun than the game.

ugly_duck
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 December 30, 04:44:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Lemmiwinks"
As far as I am concerned, the drama is much more fun than the game.

I agree with you. I barely play the game.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: