PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 12:57:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Have the paysite debates changed your mind?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Have the paysite debates changed your way of thinking about this issue?  (Voting closed: 2006 December 29, 01:33:34)
Yes, I defended paysites to begin, but now they shouldn't exist. - 32 (19.3%)
Yes, I defend paysites now, I didn't before these debates. - 1 (0.6%)
No, I still defend paysites.  Always have. - 1 (0.6%)
No, I still defend the right to free CC for everyone. - 111 (66.9%)
Undecided. - 6 (3.6%)
Other.  Just in case I missed an option, feel free to elaborate if you wish. - 15 (9%)
Total Voters: 122

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Have the paysite debates changed your mind?  (Read 14621 times)
Diamond_bollocks
ARR!

View Profile
Have the paysite debates changed your mind?
« Reply #30 on: 2007 January 04, 14:02:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's just a computer game afterall, I'm not paying big bucks (turns out dearer for me because or exchange rates) when I've already paid money for the game. Yes, owners need to pay for bandwidth, but it gets to the point where they now charge for something they may have spent an extra hour on just because they know people will pay for it.
JMZ
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 January 04, 14:56:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to pretty much ignore paysites, apart from possibly getting a little peeved if a nice looking free recolor somewhere was linked to a pay mesh.

What really changed my mind about paysites was the information sharing scandal. Plus the whiny hissy fits that some of the creators had both horrified and amused me. Such a lack of professionalism on their part.

I also have to say, I took some of the booty and found that it wasn't all that...  There is just as good, if not better free stuff available if you are willing to dig for it.

And now I'm just rambling so I'll call it quits here. Tongue
coliss
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 January 04, 19:20:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While I'm against paysites, I do not mind free websites with a few donation sets (no more than 3). I think it is fine, as they probably don't make much profit out of it.

Personal attacks happen, it's life. I hope no one actually expected that as there are no rules. People do it as well on other forums, they just get their posts deleted. Wink
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 January 04, 19:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did pay for the landscape pack from 4ESF. They've got tons of free stuff, most of it pretty good, and I felt it was worth it for what I was getting, it's a lovely set that I use all the time. In retrospect, I would much rather have had the choice -- I would have donated anyway if it was just a request, and maybe even more than what I paid for the pack. When a price is put on it, though, I'm not giving one dime more than required.

Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2007 January 04, 19:58:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have, rather unfortunately, donated for 6 sites. Without a) my parents' permission and b) my parents knowing. Not good.
I mean, I have my own credit card, but yeah...
6 months ago I'd have defended paysites with my life. Probably. Actually, I wouldn't have, but yeah. I received an email inviting me to join SFV and I thought it was a scam! It was surely illegal, I told myself.
My friend told me about this site a few weeks ago, and my first thought was, isn't that illegal? She sent me to the title page and I read through all your information, and guess what? Now I hate paysites with a PASSION, would NOT defend a SINGLE ONE and am also trying to warn others of the evil that calls itself DONATION SITES. Donation my arse.
So yeah, I went from 100%-paysite adorer to 100%-paysite hater. And here, in my little seat on the pirate ship floating between PMBD and SFV, shall I remain, in my little happy glory. Yay! Cheesy Cool

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
VampLena
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 January 05, 03:08:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

paysite supporters are just as bad as paysite owners, simply because they support illegal activity.  Would you fund drug dealers?
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 January 05, 04:25:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "VampLena"
paysite supporters are just as bad as paysite owners, simply because they support illegal activity.  Would you fund drug dealers?

Well, I wouldn't call myself a supporter, exactly, but I do pay for a lot of custom content.

No comment about the drug thing. Tongue
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2007 January 05, 11:26:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
Quote from: "VampLena"

Well, I wouldn't call myself a supporter, exactly, but I do pay for a lot of custom content.

No comment about the drug thing. Tongue

Yes, but you share with us. You're not buying because you want to give every last one of them your money and get nothing but a bunch of pixel graphics back out of it. You do it so that you AND THE POOR PEOPLE get nothing but a bunch of pixel graphics out of it and you get the warm fuzzy feeling of joy that you HELPED.

I had created a weird analogy when I was half asleep this morning:

Paysites remind me of Robin Hood and homeless people.

Paysites are taking from the poor, so it's like a business (and therefore the Sherriff of Nottingham). The people on this site are like Robin Hood and we're taking from the rich, but not necessarily to just give to the poor. It's like baking a million cakes and laying them out in front of people who know what they like. They can choose the apple tart if they want to, or the sponge if they'd rather. Or they can have both.
I mean, we allow you to buy food for the homeless. We bought it first and gave it to you. They're like gifts. Why shouldn't we be allowed to buy pixel graphics and let more than one person benefit from them? I know I let people have the stuff I download with my subs, so why shouldn't we do it good and proper(ly) and publicly?

Sorry for the random analogy, but that's another way I feel about paysites. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with the legality factor.

Plus I talked to my parents about this debate (without actually stating anything about this site or that I was a part of it) and they told me that it isn't illegal because if you made a masterpiece using MSPaint, you shouldn't have to give them any money coz it's your masterpiece. That made me mad so I explained about the user agreement and they said by checking the box, you've agreed to the contract, and by breaking the contract you are liable to be sued.

I think all paysite owners should be sued.

The last thing I think is that every paysite supporter comes on this site and mentions how some people are living out of their sims donations. What I wonder is; why haven't any of these people mentioned TSR? TSR definitely aren't doing it because they need the money to live. Whatsisface-Thomas-guy must be a bloody millionaire by now. You can't rewrite history to suit yourselves.

(I'm doing Law at school. We should be doing contract law soon. I'll tell you the punishments. Cheesy Cool )

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
« Reply #38 on: 2007 January 05, 15:09:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait wait wait, comparing something to do with a game with substances and activities that kill thousands of people every year and are nothing like said game activities? Robin Hood? SUING PEOPLE OVER A GAME?

*head explodes from the vortex made by the sheer lack of logic in this thread*
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2007 January 05, 16:55:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "Renatus"
Wait wait wait, comparing something to do with a game with substances and activities that kill thousands of people every year and are nothing like said game activities? Robin Hood? SUING PEOPLE OVER A GAME?

*head explodes from the vortex made by the sheer lack of logic in this thread*

We are dealing with the game's pixel graphics here. There isn't any logic in suing people over game content anyway. It's just a game that we all like playing.

I was just saying that people take it too far. The analogy was only HALF serious. Cheesy :lol:

And there HAVE been other people on this site (namely paysite-defenders) who actually mention Robin Hood. More than one. Most saying we're not. I was taking it into account.  :lol:

*tries to find a mop and a bucket to mop up Renatus's exploded brains*

VampLena
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 January 05, 19:06:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah Im going to have to put BlueSoup under the Robin Hood Catagory, shes the hero of the people aside from Pescado.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 January 05, 19:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aside from Pescado, pfftt...he only pays for the space, Surelyfunke and I are the ones who actually fill it. Wink
VampLena
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 January 05, 19:12:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh interesting, I though you where Pescados First Mate, he must be taking alot of the credit.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 January 05, 19:15:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He doesn't take the credit, really, people just give it to him.  Which is fine with me.  He can take the heat too.
silver
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 January 05, 20:24:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was a live and let live sort of person with paysites. Very, very occasionally, I'd pay for a donation, but having limited discretionary income rather dampened my desire for still another long hair mesh.

It was when I did indeed pay for something on a very popular and more pricier site and got unusable crap in return ... that's when I changed my mind. I e-mailed the owner a few times, and was very nice and understanding ... the first two times. The last time, I admit to being a bit more strident. I didn't even get an FU. He got my money. Why should he care if I got ripped off or not?

Fool me once and all that. And then when I've read that others have had the same experience with other sites ... well, that's pretty much squelched my desire to pay for Sims content. I'd rather give to a free site or to here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: