PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 15:44:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):  (Read 69330 times)
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Re: Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):
« Reply #120 on: 2009 August 17, 23:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Added a link to the thread (along with instructions for how to find it when it gets deleted) over in Gamespot's Sims 3 forums.  Not sure how much attention it will get as I'm not very active in teh forums there but hey why not.  I haven't been active in many of my old game communities in a long time so I'm drawing a blank on other places to cross post.  My Facebook and Myspace status both have a link to the page with the person getting banned for linking to google.  I don't know a lot of sims players but I do know a lot of game nerds.  They'll be dutifully appalled.  

I really hope some game or tech magazine/website picks this up.  Given how much trouble EA has gotten into over DRM, buggy games, and brass knuckles recently, it really wouldn't be a bad story for them to cover.

I'm guessing they haven't deleted the last thread so that everyone will "get it out of their system."  So hopefully it doesn't die down over the next couple of days.  I'm going to test out an EA/Sims key generator for site registration so that we'll know if it works for anyone who gets permabanned.  

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
pringeta
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2009 August 18, 01:35:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thread is really off-topic now and seems to be infested with middle schoolers.  They were all talking about starting school soon and arguing about test scores.  I think it will be only a matter of time until the thread gets deleted for being off-topic.
Light_Angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2009 August 18, 02:19:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not only that, the got off track discussing what kind of signature picture they should come up with... which I find funny since earlier they were backbiting some other user for posting random spam in the thread.  I believe that the next time the thread gets deleted and someone decides to repost it, remind people not to go off on tangents that has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand.  (Then again, it's the friggin' BBS for crying out loud... that's like asking a rock to grow wings and fly.)  That stuff could've easily been dealt with in another thread or something. 
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2009 August 18, 02:34:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Staying on track would be really great, but I'm happy just with keeping the thread alive, even if somewhat derailed.  So long as it stays active and near the front of the forum, more people see it.

---------------------------------------------------------

edit:

Needs Replying To

Staple_Salad on page 25 is mistaken about a few things, we should reply.

Quote from: Staple Salad
Piracy:
The meshes and skins were made by the people that made them, not by EA. While the GAME belongs to EA as well as anything THEY make, mods belong to the creators of the mods. Mods that come from pay sites imply that the original owner wants to sell them. Since it's digital, when you buy something, you buy the RIGHT to use it, not the thing itself.

Buying, say a skin and a mesh, digitally DOES NOT give you the right to redistribute it. It DOES give you the right to install it in your game. Since the mesh and skin are the intellectual property of the creator, not EA. So, EA allowing people to host it for free download (without the permission of the creator) is like them having Metallica CDs for download on the exchange.

Someone explain the EULA to this person, please.

----------------------------------------

edit2:

Could Also Use a Reply

Quote from: pikajohn
Well, I think for the actual issue of this thread is a bit dramatic. Not that it has no meaning or anything; I just think it's not worth all the fuss. Cops break the law all the time, and that will never change. Always speeding and crossing two lanes at a time, it's sad... When someone has power, they have power... And you can't change someone to think otherwise---

But in all honesty, you have to realize that in this case it is JUST A FOURM! This isn't a worthy cause to protest about because all it is is a FOURM for a game that you all buy, and that is all they care about.

No, this is not just talk in a forum.  Paying customers deserve good service and honesty from the business they support with their money.  If the business claims to have certain rules, those rules should be enforced and equally applied to everyone.  That's what this is about.  We do have power, we can boycott EA.  I do so by NOT buying their products.  I get them used instead, so EA gets no money from me.

(That's what I'll post in a bit.)

More from this confused person:

They can DO WHAT THEY WANT and if we don't like it we simply don't have to use the fourm--- They own it!

Incorrect.  They sell a virtual product, a game, but they are a real business and their customers pay them real money.  The EULA is a real legal document.  They need to abide by the same rules that apply to other businesses when it comes to customer service, and legal issues such as the EULA.

(will post that too)

Gah, he just goes on in this vein some more.

They didn't pay for the fourm, they payed for the game.

Forums have rules.  EA has the power to flaunt their own rules, to apply them or ignore them, yes, but they do not have the *right*.  While discussion in the forum may not effect immediate change, it certainly raises awareness, it may change minds.  Some people may choose to boycott EA, may choose to buy EA games used.  And that is real change.

(must plow through rest of pages, and then post...)

The only way to REALLY change something is to bring it to court, which is impossible to do because no laws were broken.

Paysites violate the EA EULA for Sims2 and Sims3, so they have broken a legal agreement with EA.
 A SimGuru forbidding filesharing goes against EAs own EULA for Sims3.
However, a court case is not the only way to bring about change.
You can also boycott.  I do.  I buy EA games *used*, not from EA, EA does not get my money.

(I'm glad pikajohn says he agrees with the post, but the defeatism is counterproductive.  Is there more of this?)
« Last Edit: 2009 August 18, 03:01:52 by CatOfWar » Logged

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: 2009 August 18, 03:00:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pikajohn does not impress me with intelligence, but I was polite.  Because what I said was true - -we- have the power, because ultimately, we don't have to spend our money, which means we don't have to give it to -them-

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 2009 August 18, 03:02:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a contract lawyer. However, I think that if EA doesn't even attempt to enforce its EULA, then the EULA is null and void in its entirety. EA's agents are running about explicitly helping entities which break the EULA. Therefore the contract is completely and entirely worthless. Go ahead and "pirate" the game. Reverse engineer it too. That EULA you click on agreeing not to do these things has been voided by EA.

TSR's bottom line is more important to EA's moderators than EA's is. I find that rather interesting. I wonder what EA's lawyers would think.

CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2009 August 18, 03:22:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Soggy, I'm glad you replied to pikajohn.  Others have as well, and I find that heartening.  Now to reply to this Staple Salad person about piracy...

CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2009 August 18, 03:28:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a contract lawyer. However, I think that if EA doesn't even attempt to enforce its EULA, then the EULA is null and void in its entirety. EA's agents are running about explicitly helping entities which break the EULA. Therefore the contract is completely and entirely worthless. Go ahead and "pirate" the game. Reverse engineer it too. That EULA you click on agreeing not to do these things has been voided by EA.

TSR's bottom line is more important to EA's moderators than EA's is. I find that rather interesting. I wonder what EA's lawyers would think.

I wonder about this all the time!  EA yells bloody murder if they think they even smell someone pirating store crap or the game itself.  Why are they so selective in what bits and pieces of their legal contracts they enforce?  I know folks have said they fear alienating paysites and their sheeple, but why in hell would they?  It's free sites that drive CC creation and make it possible.  If paysites all went poof, the sheeple would eventually discover free sites and keep playing and buying, so what is the big deal about pissing off Thoma$ and Peggy?

neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2009 August 18, 03:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My theory is, and has been for a long time, that EA's right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing. Imo, the people who interact in any way with the community are in TSR's pocket. Everything consumers try to say to EA gets filtered through them. EA doesn't give a crap so long as the game keeps selling. The only way to get them to wake up is to boycott their games. Just download Sims 3 products for free if you want them. EA's already voided the contract through its actions, you can't be held to it.

CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2009 August 18, 03:56:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Replied to Staple Salad, who is confused about piracy.  Saved that reply, and the one to pikajohn, in text files, since I'm sure the thread will be stomped and I'll want to recycle that text in the future.

chann
Landlubber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: 2009 August 18, 04:07:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not that you're completely wrong but I just want to point out that contracts and licenses are very different beasts. Agreeing to a EULA isn't the same as signing a binding contract. If it was a contract EA could SUE you if they discovered you were using a crack or something and they obviously can't.

A license is more like a right to use something on particular terms.

Particularly, where I agree with you, the TS3 EULA assigns all IP rights to EA at part 2(A). EVERYTHING inside the game belongs to them, presumably including file formats and content adapted to work in the game. Which is why it continues to boggle me that they would support people that openly breach these terms. It's like a movie studio supporting pirate DVD makers. Utterly nonsensical.

PAYSITES EUNT DOMUS
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2009 August 18, 06:06:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*yawn*   good night, folks

Tomorrow, another day, another repost.  And Immortelle, I will take your sage advice about diet restriction of certain kinds of posters to heart.  One or two have popped up. Wink

edit: Let's see if there's any interest in this at MTS  I don't think there's a thread there yet?  Hopefully I'm not just being sleep addled.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 18, 08:10:41 by CatOfWar » Logged

rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2009 August 18, 14:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well the thread on the BBS is still up, now on page 41 with 14,344 views.

And someone posted a thread thanking Hydra for the link to Peggy's site, because he found a "great" piece of CC there. The thread has a direct link to Peggy's naked skin.

Link to thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/91606.page

That thread is gone. But the 41 paged one is still up.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 18, 15:18:50 by rum nate » Logged

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: 2009 August 18, 15:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh.  Titanslayer's thread was deleted pretty fast.  Way to make a point though.

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2009 August 18, 16:47:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still think that posting links to really egregiously smutty content at TSR and Peggy would be better, pointing out that this wonderful item is approved by EA as innocently as you can.  That way somebody is going to complain and maybe they'll get a clue.

I no longer have access to my TSR account, and I don't have Sims 3 so I can't do it myself.

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: