PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 02:06:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):  (Read 68586 times)
Light_Angel
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):
« Reply #105 on: 2009 August 17, 21:02:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, crap, I bet they didn't even read anything... but at least we all know there were plenty of people who did.  Grin

Light Angel - Why not post here what you wanted to post, and someone can repost it at the Sim3 forum for you?  They can say it is from you, following the discussion, but you do not have an account.

Okay then.  I may have some things wrong, and it may not mean much now that the original thread is gone... but if anyone posts it there in any of the new threads, feel free to add to, correct facts, and use however you like.  Just as long as people get it through their heads that the bandwidth argument has long since become an invalid factor for paysite's methods, and not all content creator are in it for the "joy of giving to others". 

A little clarification on some things Schweighsr brought up...

Quote from: Schweighsr
Quote from: Shadow
Basically, she's encouraging paysites to keep charging for content.
And it says not to in the EULA!

Sites that offer pay content for free are actually following the EULA, by redistributing pay content as it should be, free.

Everyone complains about pay sites, and I don't understand why.  Okay, if they were charging the same prices that EA does, I'd understand.  But most paysites are just covering their server costs.  No one is getting rich making CC for TS3 [except EA].  Why should the creator have to spend time making cool stuff and then pay to share it with other people?  I'm sure that if most people put themselves in the creator's shoes they would be less inclined to complain about pay-sites.

A few answers that I can come up with off the top of my head:  They don't absolutely have to set up a site that costs that much, if nothing at all.  There are plenty of other alternatives rather than having to resort to setting up a site and putting items as "pay only" for the sake of bandwidth or server costs.  For instance, they could always upload to sites such as MTS and other well known and reliable sites.  Not only that, but if they don't want to go down the route of relying on another site to host their files,  (or just want to stand out on their own) there are a lot of willing people within the free community who will gladly direct one to sources on how to save themselves from getting wrung in by unreliable hosting companies and paying more for less, or like even the WNF, may possibly have the resources themselves to help host their site.  And all while saving money that could be used for other ventures besides an expensive host.

To add on, to save even more money they could even upload their content to file-sharing sources such as Mediafire, Box.net, 4shared, and other sites of the like.  Even having a LJ page dedicated to Sims downloads has become a popular alternative to paying for web hosting.

In short, there's just no excuse these days to set up a pay site if you already have the resources and people there in front of you to help you out of resorting to that option.   

I don't include TSR because they have no ethics and do pay their site administrators.

Not only that, but you do know their FA's get paid a certain amount of money also, right?  There's a certain uploads and times downloaded quota they have to fill in order to get that money though, so you end up see a lot of stuff like what DOT decided to do with the oh-so-fabulous not-so pattern-like "pattern". 

Are fans equally upset about donation sites?  MTS is a donation site [and I donate because I download so much stuff from there], and other sites require a donation for their best items [which is like selling them] in order to pay for the free stuff they give away.  Is it okay to steal stuff from there and repost it?

As it's been said many times, there's a big difference in the way MTS and what sites with "donation" content do.  MTS, for one, knows when to tell people they have enough money to settle the costs they need to cover whenever theirs a donation drive of sorts.  Not only that, it's free choice to donate without having the "worm on the hook" to lure you in to doing so.  All the content is still available to you whether you do so or not... no strings attached. 

"Donation"/Pay sites (i.e. Peggyzone, Rosesims, TSR, and others like them) are the opposite.  They tempt people to buy their shinies... and once said content is received and people start to realize it wasn't what they expected, there's no way they could get their money back.  Hence the back-lash and sharing of said content... when people feel ripped off, don't get any sort of satisfactory help for their troubles, and eventually get tired of dealing with the same old crap each time, you end up with sites like PMBD popping up.   :-)  Sites like that actually save people from having to go through the same ordeals they did in the earlier days of the community.

Is it right?  It really depends on which side you're looking from, but from the way I see it, most people would not want to deal with shelling money for stuff when they could get so much better from free sources... and not talking about the "stolen" stuff, either.   :wink:

Custom Content Creators do not make money making stuff for TS3.  They do it for themselves and then GENEROUSLY allow the community to enjoy what they've made.  They don't have to share their stuff - and if I got as much grief as they do from the community, I'd stop sharing and keep all my creations for myself.

*points to the response two quotes above* You're right in a way... many don't, but there are some who do, and only for the sake of getting more money in their pocket.  If that wasn't the case, they could've left the position they were in at any time the chose and decided to find a better route for sharing their "goodwill".  Content created for the sake of expecting something more than "thanks" in return just isn't worth as much in my opinion.  A lot of the best content you can get doesn't even require a cent spent on it.   Cool
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2009 August 17, 21:09:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here are some replies from the original thread, I didn't get all the great ones, but here's what I did get.
You can have all 4 in a zip file here.

an excellent reply from a parent

TSR censors criticism, EA censors criticism, birds of a feather?

people are disgruntled
- and -
no CC without the free community's tools and tutorials

more irate customers

millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: 2009 August 17, 21:16:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should post a link to the zip in the thread.

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2009 August 17, 21:30:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Light Angel, your reply has been posted, hope I didn't mess up the quotes much.

rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2009 August 17, 21:32:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am so glad there is such a huge following on this, and people willing to get banned and repost and repost and repost some more to get this across to everyone they can. This is going to be a very good week for EA and the BBS, won't it.  Grin

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: 2009 August 17, 21:36:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been twittering the new links (methinks we need a hastag; #simsrevolt or some crap) as they come up and have reposted on a couple of TV sites that have off topic sections where I know some sims peeps are.  It's easier with the posting in forums since I can explain how they keep getting deleted and what section of the site to look for what thread title.  I may borrow that zip for a blog post if I have the time this week.

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2009 August 17, 21:46:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

millahna - yay, you go!

FOR REPOSTING

another good comment from one of the reposted threads, I think

click for larger image

here's another, about EA continual hamfisted censorship

click for larger image
« Last Edit: 2009 August 17, 21:53:05 by CatOfWar » Logged

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: 2009 August 17, 22:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Viva la Revolution.

Is there still a thread up there?

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: 2009 August 17, 22:04:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well for lack of a better idea I went with #simsrevolt on twitter.  I'm @thelabrat there if anyone wants to find me and retweet.  I don't think I have many sims players in my friends list so I need a little help getting the topic to trend a little better.  If any of you are on twitter, get posting.

Light_Angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2009 August 17, 22:20:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Light Angel, your reply has been posted, hope I didn't mess up the quotes much.

That's cool.  Thanks, Cat!   Wink

I'm trying my best to keep up with all the threads there, so yeah, SoggyFox, the one dedicated to Cat's post is still there for the time being and 12 make that 14 pages strong and counting.      
millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: 2009 August 17, 22:32:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this getting talked about on any of the other major sims forums?  I only really download from most places so I haven't started checking for threads. 

rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2009 August 17, 22:36:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't see anything on MTS or GOS, and TSR didn't have anything either, but I doubt they would. I haven't checked MATY or Snooty Sims. Peggy doesn't have anything either. Thats all I know.

ETA: Don't link to google on the BBS, cause that could cause someone to find MTS, and you will be banned for that. Damn, EA is just getting lower and lower with this.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 17, 22:57:42 by rum nate » Logged

I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2009 August 17, 23:10:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here are the relevant quotes from the EA Sims3 EULA.
It very explicitly says filesharing is permitted, selling is forbidden.

Quote from: EULA
A. Grant. Through an authorized purchase or transfer, you acquire and EA grants you a non-exclusive license to install and use the Software for your personal, limited, non-commercial use solely as set forth in this License and the accompanying documentation.
(bold added by me)

Quote from: EULA
when you contribute content through the Software, you expressly grant to other users of the Software the non-exclusive, perpetual, transferable, worldwide, irrevocable right to access and use, copy, modify, display, perform, and create and distribute derivative works from, your contributed content in connection with the Software, and to distribute and otherwise communicate your contributed content as a component of works that they create using the Software
(bold added by me)

Dr House
ARR!

My pills, let me show you them.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2009 August 17, 23:16:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thread is now 19 pages, this is awesome! Even if the talk derails a lot - last page mention they want the return of Maxis - It sure is heart warming to see so many people talking about that. I'm proud of you guys *shares rum*

About the argument 'No one makes money from selling CC, they just pay their hosting" (the good old shitty argument), hell Delphy once estimated how much money T$R makes every year, based on Thoma$$'s rare babblings. It's more than a million dollars. Every fucking year. Yes, Cartman would be dead jealous.

I'm a female, so what?! Duh! Anyway why are you reading this? Go away! Shoo! Oh and here are my pills.
rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2009 August 17, 23:19:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember seeing that math he did. And it came its possible they have made about $10,000,000 since they went pay, if not more. And that does not include money made from about September 2008 to now.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: