PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:44:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):  (Read 68567 times)
Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
Re: Oh EA, you money-greedy bastards. ):
« Reply #30 on: 2009 August 09, 18:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

karma catches up with everyone eventually.  Its the reason why I'm always so 'meh' about people who've hurt me.  They'll get whats coming to them in the end, so, whatever.

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2009 August 10, 13:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is true, and if you want to speed Karma up, you just curse the person to get what exactly they deserve [and if somehow things aren't how they look, its no longer a curse] Cheesy

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 August 13, 02:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA has gotten even more greedy not. Reading an article about Madden NFL, they are charging extra for everything. Everything for simple little things to get rid of a one time injury, to boosting your player stats cost. For $5 you get the Elite Status which will let players "access exclusive VIP lobbies, leaderboards and play the all new Elite Gametype," which is essentially a tougher difficulty setting.

I don't play any sports game (I hate most sports period), but it was on Yahoo's front page about extras for Madden costing, and I knew Madden was produced by EA, so I wanted to see what the extras were, and how much they cost.

And for the EA game Skate 2 there was an unlock everything cheat code, which you could by from EA for $5

Link to article here: http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/madden-nfl-10-charges-extra-for-well-everything/1342925

Now, one thing I have not seen anyone report on is the outrage about the Sims Store.

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2009 August 14, 13:54:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's because too many gamer sites still act like women [and let's face it, sims is known as a 'woman's' game] don't game, and so don't report much on it.  On the other hand, sports games are nice and manly.  Besides, compared to the sims store, the sports game stuff is a -huge- rip, which is saying a whole lot.

www.thestormradio.com
arathea
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 August 14, 15:23:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A german game magazine had a review about the EA Store/Exchange. They said in short that Riverview is nice, the store much to expensive and together with the Exchange there is nothing you would miss. - And they said that it looks like EA put popular content like hair in the Store instead in the game to get more money.

Link for all who are able to read german:
http://www.gamestar.de/specials/spiele/1956803/die_sims_3_online_funktionen.html#
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 August 14, 23:15:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

99% of gaming sites suck hugely. You can't trust their reviews because the reviewers will get in trouble if they don't like a game whose ads are plastered on the site. They cater specifically to the pseudo-macho sexist homophobic male dorks they think all gamers are. Multiple studies have shown that females make up at least 40% of gamers but those gaming sites are stuck in some neverland locker room filled with boobie pictures and EA cash. Some of the reviewers (almost all of whom are male) might want to change, but the suits, who don't know anything about gaming, won't let them. The sites don't care about consumers anyway, they care about the huge game companies, with EA heading the list.

Some day, game reviewers will get the same kind of clout and independence movie and book reviewers have. Until then I get my reviews and gaming news from certain bloggers and other peoples' posts on forums.

rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 August 14, 23:48:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Multiple studies have shown that females make up at least 40% of gamers but those gaming sites are stuck in some neverland locker room filled with boobie pictures and EA cash.

And isn't that number still growing, because more and more females are getting into different types of games.

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 August 15, 01:23:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Multiple studies have shown that females make up at least 40% of gamers but those gaming sites are stuck in some neverland locker room filled with boobie pictures and EA cash.

And isn't that number still growing, because more and more females are getting into different types of games.

Yep. When I worked in a game store, the only kind of game I could really say I never saw any woman buy for herself was a football game. Women dominated sales of Sims games, but they were also a slight majority in sales of JRPGs, and were about co-equal with men in buying other RPGs, platformers, survival-horror, adventure games, shooters, racing games, and sports games besides basketball, football and boxing. Men were slightly ahead in buying fighting games, and Madden releases were testosterone central.

My own observations obviously don't make for a scientific study. But I also think women buy games online more often than men. It's gotten slightly better recently, but women being treated like garbage when they actually go to a store to purchase a game is still pretty common. And while the employees tend to be better, fellow customers aren't necessarily; being latched onto by some creepy nerd because omg UR A GIRL is not a pleasant experience.

millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2009 August 15, 02:30:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I worked in a game store in the "hood" and had approximately the same observations.  My theory on why more chicks buy online is more pricing than nerd grope though (at least in my neck of the woods).  I had one middle aged lady come in to buy one some street racing game who said she'd looked online for a "used" price and didn't find any yet so she came there instead.  This was before the EB/GameStop merger and we had a crapload of used games and DVDs at GameStop then. 

The girl nerd discrimination thing was worse there for the employees.  There were three of us chicks (me the punk rock white looking girl, an asian tomboy, and a cute little red head rocking some cat eye glasses, all girl nerd stereotypes covered) and customers would frequently request the help of other employees when we'd ask to help them find something. 

Amusingly, we were the only PC gamers in the shop with different areas of expertise so it wasn't uncommon for the idiot customers to get sent back to us anyway.  Bonus points if they had their laptops with them and needed help on an install.  Nothing quite like showing off to smack down a douchbag.  Not that installing a game is really all that hard usually, but still.

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 August 15, 04:50:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We had quite a few customers who insisted the girls who worked at the game store could not possibly play games because we were girls. Women did this at least as often as men did. "Gee, these boys and their games, they're so silly, don't you think?" The gobsmacked look I'd get from those bottle blond trophy wives when I told them I played video games was priceless. (This was not a store in the "hood", it was a store in a very wealthy suburban so-called "community".) And there was one peach of a guy who told us we were lying when my assistant manager and I told him we did play games -- obviously we didn't have any skills, we were just hired to look cute. She was within an inch of throwing him out, till he spotted the guy who was working there that night and glommed onto him. But the customer was looking for a PC game so my coworker had to run back and forth between the idiot and me to figure things out Roll Eyes.

Then there were the guys who believed we played games and this was the biggest turn-on of their lives. *shudders*

millahnna
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2009 August 15, 11:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know I only had a few skeevy guys of that variety.  Most of them were more like, "wow that's hot.  SO can you help me figure this out?"  Which I thought was pretty cool.  It was also helpful for increase my upsell figures quite a bit. 

"I always look like a heart floating in a jar of formaldehyde when I go swimming. Always. I make a point of it. Doesn't everybody?"  -- HeyBubbe
Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 2009 August 15, 12:22:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately it seems that people don't seem to pay much attention to females when it comes to computers.  Its kind of a pet peeve for my, so I'm having to restrain myself from having a heavily explexitive laden rant here.

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 August 15, 12:35:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me, I never discuss games or playing them in meatspace, mostly because nobody ever asks. The wife, on the other hand, refuses to discuss the matter with outsiders, dismissing the conversation as a "dumb male thing". This will do absolutely nothing to stop her from kicking your ass at the game, though.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2009 August 16, 02:44:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was a sculpture/Comp sci major in college before having to move -very- suddenly.  I was writing code on TRS 80s, with the cassette drives.  I used to get the -old- computer kits for doing punch card computing, as a kid, before there were anything beyond mainframes, really.

And I've played in arcades.

Oddly, in my part of the southeast, it seems gamer chicks are far more accepted.  Or maybe its just going to the store with guys, who have no problems going to the female employees and asking questions.  But its the same way with the other big Geek activity, pnp RPGs.  Guys took the longest to realize women can game, and I've actually been kicked from a game group because half the guys were macho pigs and the other half were tired of listening to the macho pigs treating me like crap for being the one female in the group.

www.thestormradio.com
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 August 16, 02:51:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've actually been kicked from a game group because half the guys were macho pigs and the other half were tired of listening to the macho pigs treating me like crap for being the one female in the group

So half were macho pigs and the other half were cowardly assholes without the guts to tell the macho pigs were to go? And you wanted to play with these jackasses why?

I still don't know where people find these men.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: