PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:03:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  New License agreement, what do you think?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New License agreement, what do you think?  (Read 13072 times)
Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
Re: New License agreement, what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: 2009 May 20, 14:26:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hellooo Ebay.

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
spunkysim
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 May 25, 21:47:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hubby shops at EB all the time (shrug, he likes the local one) and he says that he takes games back with no problems - both new and used.  They give him full store credits, but he said that's what he asks for.  They all know him in there, he's been shopping at the same one for ages.  Cheesy

I do have to agree that games are probably the only place I can think of where you find out your terms and conditions after your purchase.  But I really think that most people (unlike us who have had a reason to read this one) don't even bother to read a EULA.  I mean your average user - someone just pulling a game out of the wrapper and playing it.  Who sits down and says, "Hmmm, I have a new shiny game, but let me sit and read this legal mumbo-jumbo first?"
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2009 May 26, 01:56:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually don't bother - I know its a bunch of stuff I -don't- agree with, but figure either I'll follow it, or what the hell can they really do about it anyway.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
falln_angel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 May 26, 02:23:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For me, I pay attention or not depending on what sort of application it is. Regardless of what I sign off to, I imagine EA would have a hard time justifying, for example, sharing my credit card information which they found on my computer. On the other hand, things like Facebook's old (at least I think it's old) policy of basically owning anything and everything posted using their service scare the crap out of me. Basically, if it's something where I'm going to be relaying sensitive information, I make damn sure that it's going to be secure... and I don't use Facebook. Tongue

Twilight is that movie where angsty vampires do each other’s makeup in high school, right? And instead of sunlight exploding them, it turns their skin into body glitter? I’m not judging you, man. That’s a really, really cool thing to enjoy. --Seanbaby
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2009 May 26, 17:00:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For online things, I read the EULAs - but when its a case of a game I've bought and -then- they tell me that I don't own it?  Well, fuck 'em, because once I paid for it, its -mine-

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Mr Roo
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 10, 05:14:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While I think this belongs in the Sharkbait area, I'll respond because it is a valid discussion, at least in my opinion.

I've always had a problem with eulas that are not printed on the outside of the box.  They take your money then have all these conditions and the like and it pisses me off.  If I buy something, its mine.  I do not have a bunch of conditions when I buy a music cd, a purse, yarn, needles and the like - and if I buy a gun, the conditions are up front at time of purchase.  It bothers me that the makers of computer software seem to think they are above this and that charging us 50$ for a computer program is a rental and an excuse for them to slip spyware into our machines.

I keep waiting for some lawsuit to come along and have the eulas deemed illegal or unconstitutional on some level.

Makes more sense to have them when you install the game than on the box! I don't have any issues with the way things are done except that the paysites get to still make money. I think they should just make it right or make it wrong.

It\'s Roo Time!!!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 10, 05:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd rather they were on the box because then I could decide then and there if I wanted to buy the damn thing if I agree with the EULA. If I don't like it, I don't buy it or get it in any other way. If it's clearly stated then you don't wind up with one of the most expensive coasters you'll ever own. Once you open the box and start to install, you can't get your money back. Better to be able to read before than to regret getting the piece of shit in the first place.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 10, 18:33:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While I think this belongs in the Sharkbait area, I'll respond because it is a valid discussion, at least in my opinion.

I've always had a problem with eulas that are not printed on the outside of the box.  They take your money then have all these conditions and the like and it pisses me off.  If I buy something, its mine.  I do not have a bunch of conditions when I buy a music cd, a purse, yarn, needles and the like - and if I buy a gun, the conditions are up front at time of purchase.  It bothers me that the makers of computer software seem to think they are above this and that charging us 50$ for a computer program is a rental and an excuse for them to slip spyware into our machines.

I keep waiting for some lawsuit to come along and have the eulas deemed illegal or unconstitutional on some level.

Makes more sense to have them when you install the game than on the box! I don't have any issues with the way things are done except that the paysites get to still make money. I think they should just make it right or make it wrong.

It's wrong. No EULA in the world will change that.

It makes more sense for it to be on the box. Once you open the game you usually can't take it back; it's absurd that consumers have to commit their money before reading the contract. I don't understand why there hasn't been a lawsuit about it either, unless it's because EULAs arent worth much anyway.

Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 10, 18:38:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On what planet does it make more sense to have it when you install the game?  And just because you don't have any issues, doesn't mean there aren't any.

I'd have no problem with it being inside the box IF I could return it if I disagreed.  But the way it works, the moment you open the box you've voided any money back promise.  The best you can do is get another copy of the same software.  And if you disagree with their policy, well, that's your tough luck, you've just bought yourself an expensive little Frisbee.  

This would be as if you bought an MP3 player. And the warranty was put in the battery compartment.  And the first rule of the warranty was, "If you open the battery compartment, you void the warranty!"  

It doesn't "make sense" to me.  And it only works out to benefit the gaming industry, not the consumer.  This is one of the things I mention when people start trying to cry the blues that pirating software has been soooo cruel to the poor gaming companies and how we all ought to be more sympathetic.  Bullshit.  If the car company started a policy of, "Once you open the car doors, the warranty is null and void and you can't return the car!" there would be outrage.  But when it comes to music, movies, or software we all just go, "Oh, okay."  

And it's getting worse.  At least it used to be that if you ruined your gaming disc, most companies would send you another one to replace it, if you sent it to them.  I accidentally vacuumed my Sims 1 disk and shattered it.  I called Maxis, sent them the pieces, the case, and five dollars for postage and they sent me a new game.  When a similar thing happened to a friend of mine with Sims 2, she was told she had to buy an entire new game.  

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: