PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 15:48:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Help! With FTP
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Help! With FTP  (Read 5713 times)
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Help! With FTP
« on: 2007 January 15, 03:50:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have hosting with godaddy for my latest project, which is a Downloads website.

In any case, I am uploading the site as I go along, but I have no idea how to upload the files so that I can then link them.

I need help...
mistymage
Landlubber

corn pirate, 1$ each

View Profile WWW
Help! With FTP
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 15, 04:08:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's the FAQs for godaddy:

http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?article_id=96&topic_id=114

So.. do you have an ftp tool on your pc? I use MiFiles http://www.simdata.com.au/products/miFiles/miFiles.htm  easy enough for me to install and use ;-)

Any other help you might need? (I know sometimes I need more than to read a faq.. having someone walk me thru stuff helps it stick.)

~misty

BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Help! With FTP
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 15, 04:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I know how to use FTP.  And I've read that particular article.  I just don't know where to upload the actual zip files so I can find them to link them for the "pics you click to download".  Understand what I mean, because I'm not even sure I understand lol
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Help! With FTP
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 15, 04:10:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use something called FTP-WISE

http://www.wise-ftp.com/

It's really easy to set up, and file transfer is basically drag and drop.

url=http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/peggy]peggy[/url]  Peggy sims
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Help! With FTP
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 15, 04:20:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What directory should the zip files be in so that I can find them to link them properly to the pics?
Not Paper
Landlubber

View Profile
Help! With FTP
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 15, 04:23:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Probably something along the lines of public_html, html, public... that tends to be the name of the folders that are on the main website, anyway.
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Help! With FTP
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 15, 04:27:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

public_html is a good guess.  That is what it was for me with Lunarpages.

BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Help! With FTP
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 15, 04:28:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So then if I make that folder, which I did, and put the files in there...how do I find them in a URL-path type way?
mistymage
Landlubber

corn pirate, 1$ each

View Profile WWW
Help! With FTP
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 15, 04:34:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
No, I know how to use FTP.  And I've read that particular article.  I just don't know where to upload the actual zip files so I can find them to link them for the "pics you click to download".  Understand what I mean, because I'm not even sure I understand lol

Ok.. when I Mifile my stuff.. it goes to my public_html directory.. which is the directory that has all my website pages/files in it (ie not my email directory nor spam assassin etc). I can do my html and view it from the directory. There are buttons to click to create directories , webpages etc.

on my freebie account I "go into" my website directory and browse/upload from my pc. I can do my html etc from there. The basic structure is there.. I just click buttons to have things happen (like make a directory).

On my hubby's isp website.. you only see the website via the ftp client (yuck).  All work/pages is/are done on our pc only and then uploaded. But MiFiles is easy to use to create directories etc.. just sux having to do it all remotely.. when I'm used to doing it the other way.

I don't know how godaddy has its sites set up..

So once you log in to godaddy.. what kind of structure do you see? A .jpg would help to determine how you are to work around in it.

Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Help! With FTP
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 15, 04:39:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

public_html isn't actually part of your web address.  it works as your basic folder.  So, if you were working on my site, the upload directory would be

public_html/images/carlanivenhahahah.jpg

but the actual web address would be doursim.com/images/carlanivenhahah.jpg

and to link you would naturally just have <a href="images/carlanivenhahah.jpg"></a>

BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Help! With FTP
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 15, 04:42:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, here is a pic:

I *think* when I get into the FTP, I'm already in the public html folder, because all of those loose files you see are all viewable.
BlueSoup
Fat Head
ARR!

View Profile
Help! With FTP
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 15, 04:48:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I think I figured it out now but man, is this a giant, fiddly pain in the ass!!

Thanks for your help all. Smiley
Doursim
ARR!

View Profile WWW
Help! With FTP
« Reply #12 on: 2007 January 15, 04:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I were you, I would erase all the stuff in your basic folder (sims2creators) and move everything you want visible to the public_html folder.  

But then again, the domain is behaving perfectly, so I can't find any justifiable reason to do so. :shock:

mistymage
Landlubber

corn pirate, 1$ each

View Profile WWW
Help! With FTP
« Reply #13 on: 2007 January 15, 05:02:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: "BlueSoup"
OK, I think I figured it out now but man, is this a giant, fiddly pain in the ass!!

Thanks for your help all. Smiley

If your site is going to be anything like mine.. ie anything under the sun... you'll want to add directories under public_html.. stuff like "sims2", "catpix", music.. and then under each of those sub-directories add specific directories.. just like you would in your sims2 downloads file.

It makes it much easier to find stuff ;-)  I'd just copy the stuff you have up already and "move" them to their new directory(ies).  

If other people are already linking to specific pages.. slap redirects on the html of the linked pages to their new homes for..say.. a month and then delete them.  If this is a fresh site.. just move them ;-)

I save that upper level area for important stuff.. just directories.. once inside the public_html area I add all my sub-directories and only have a few gifs that I will use throughout my site.. like a particular 1x1.gif that is just a blank pixel which I use to place images/text precisely where I want them (using size attributes). And also my index.html page.. the "front door" to my site.

~misty

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: