PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 11:00:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  NEW TSR LEGAL THREAT!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: NEW TSR LEGAL THREAT!  (Read 86217 times)
paperbeth
ARR!

TS3 - Do not want!

View Profile WWW
Re: NEW TSR LEGAL THREAT!
« Reply #105 on: 2009 April 09, 02:57:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well wasn't mid February when mts2 had their server crash?  Would explain it.
I was thinking the same thing. Sarafina ninja'd me. Wink

My Deviant artwork here.
Yaardarm Monkey II
ARR!

still the same simian of plunder

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2009 April 09, 03:01:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe he's at the Twat's pad smokin junk in a hookah while she does the dance of the seven veils to Jefferson Airplane.

Cry  holy crap, now I need brain-bleach to get that nightmare out of my skull   Cry

all you kiddies, THIS is Jefferson Airplane
and remember kids, your mom & dad got their freak on to this music  Cheesy
Nietzsche
Landlubber

I'm a bad, bad, disillusioned miscreant~ ;)

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2009 April 09, 03:50:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

D: Not cool man!

SHAKESHAFT IS A THIEF!
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2009 April 09, 03:51:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was looking for an excuse to drink, and I just found one Shocked

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2009 April 09, 03:52:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No they didn't my Dad died before it was out and my Mom hated it.  I was the one who got their freak to that music and I'm proud of it.

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2009 April 09, 04:17:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and remember kids, your mom & dad got their freak on to this music  Cheesy

I'm 32 30. Not exactly a kid Tongue. My mom and dad definitely got their freak on to that music though. I grew up on it.

Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2009 April 09, 04:23:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hilarious thing about this particular legal threat is how horribly misdirected it is. Not only is it factually incorrect in numerous places, IT IS NOT EVEN DIRECTED AT THE RIGHT COMPANY! The Princess is in another castle!

Vision of Pescado in a blonde wig, chomping a cigar.

Brain bleach.

Grin

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2009 April 09, 04:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm 42 + 1, so I remember it while growing up. My older siblings were the ones to freak to that stuff.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2009 April 09, 05:18:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My parents were still 6es when they were popular, so I sure as hell hope they weren't getting their freak on.

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: 2009 April 09, 06:53:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh? Is that letter an actual, serious attempt by someone to protect a business? Where is his lawyer? No one with more than one or two employees (is that not what TSR has, people employed to make custom content?) handles their own legal affairs, not even at the correspondence level. This must just be intended as an annoyance or attention-getter. Either that, or he's getting bad legal advice. Or ignoring sound legal advice...

Dude! Lawyers cost money. Hire lawyers and the second house you buy may not have top of the line crap in it.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2009 April 09, 07:19:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You mean where it came to  Huh ?

Yes.  I don't need the actual email address, just the overview of events.  Sorry if this is not on-message but I can't form an opinion on a "because I say so" basis with too many jigsaw pieces missing.   For example, I know it didn't get to Pescado direct from TSR by email because that would have been physically impossible as they don't know his email address.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2009 April 09, 08:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that the same EULA Pes posted awhile ago or is it a new one? I understood that it was just a teaser.

However I did find it interesting that they were addressing CC issues when word from the Creators camp was that it wasn't going to be possible. They were also addressing the importation of 3rd party copyrighted materials. Which I found even more interesting.

This is the most recent EULA posted about a week ago.. for the first time they did a combined disk/digital one.. Smiley

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2009 April 09, 08:32:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So how does TSR figure they're the largest sims 2 community out there? And how do they figure, with no tools to their name, no accomplishments that helped the community to their name, nothing beneficial to the fan community at all... that they can decide that a huge part of the community (anyone who thinks sims2 custom content should be free) should be cast out and do not belong?

TSR says they are the largest fansite based off of 3 things.
1. They say they are the oldest fan site out there.
2. They say they have the most members of any sims site out there.
3. They say they have the most downloads of any sims site out there.

1. They say it, but they stopped being a fansite long ago. From their own admission, they're a business.
2. They say it, but the site is like Hotel California where you can never leave. Most sites prune inactive and double accounts.
3. They say it, but no-one is allowed to delete their stuff. Stuff just stays there untill the skies fall down.
Too bad it takes new people some time before people find that out, and they are unable to cut ties with that site if they wish to.

Inactive
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2009 April 09, 08:54:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes.  I don't need the actual email address, just the overview of events.  Sorry if this is not on-message but I can't form an opinion on a "because I say so" basis with too many jigsaw pieces missing.   For example, I know it didn't get to Pescado direct from TSR by email because that would have been physically impossible as they don't know his email address.
These things are typically forwarded by webhosts or through the domain contact.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
sidhe
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2009 April 09, 10:38:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doesn't it seem that his greatest weakness is what he claims to be his strength? (meaning TSR) If they are a legitimate business they must adhere to international and/or Swedish cooperate law. It does not seem like that is the case. If everyone is so upset by his actions why don't you just seek to have him closed down? Am I missing something here?

It seems to me that for years file sharers have been running scared, hiding in caves and referring to themselves as pirates. But nothing could be farther from the truth. You are not stealing anything so you are not pirates. You are not duplicating software, cracking exe files or creating ISO's. So why again is the pressure on us?

He claims to be a subdivision of a company I can find no data on. I find no record of paid taxes or financial statements. I cant even find a business license or registration and the TSR website is not W3C verified. Its not digitally signed and does not even display proper contact information as a business site must.There is absolutely no evidence that TSR is anything more than a very large fansite that breaks the law by redistributing copyrighted files that are extracted or derived from a Maxis game for profit.

Their only saving grace has been that Maxis does not press charges. But neither did they relinquish their own copyrights, so I think by the new laws in Sweden...he could be shut down if someone reported him.

So long and thanks for all the fish...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: