PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 14:28:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Juice Newsea Becomes a Paysite
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Juice Newsea Becomes a Paysite  (Read 67875 times)
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Juice Newsea Becomes a Paysite
« Reply #135 on: 2009 June 18, 17:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the 100% positive feedback on eBay. That's great.

They actually seem like pretty cool people over there. It's probably a great place to work. I got Ubisoft in my neighbourhood. It's kinda nice to have them close at hand, lol

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
RiotOnTheRooftop
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2009 July 04, 12:56:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I liked Newsea, I'm saddened (but not surprised) they went pay.
Sigmund
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2009 July 07, 22:37:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, some companies CLAIM they're hiring, but they play games.

Actually, this is a really good point. I once had a part-time job at a place whose policy it was to reply "We're always hiring" when asked, when in fact it was usually a downright lie. More often than not, we already had way too many people on staff and not enough hours for the people already working there. People would come in for multiple interviews and even take tests (yes, this job made you jump through hoops for a minimum-wage, part-time job), when in fact there weren't even any positions available. Don't ask me what this accomplished.

Not that I think this justifies becoming a paysite, however. To me, it's not unlike any other illegal activity: I may have sympathy with the circumstances that lead people to get there, but that doesn't make it any less illegal.

I sing along with elevator music.
rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2009 July 08, 02:53:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, some companies CLAIM they're hiring, but they play games.
People would come in for multiple interviews and even take tests (yes, this job made you jump through hoops for a minimum-wage, part-time job), when in fact there weren't even any positions available. Don't ask me what this accomplished.

The only thing I can think of that would accomplish would be most cost to the company. I mean, they have to pay people to give the interviews and they have to pay to make the tests and give them.

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2009 July 08, 03:03:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(yes, this job made you jump through hoops for a minimum-wage, part-time job), when in fact there weren't even any positions available. Don't ask me what this accomplished.
Huh Other than amusing sadistic HR people, maybe it was a way to "trade up" in employees?  Find someone "better" and fire a current employee, then give the new person their job?  Maybe even for less pay?

lostinpirateshalott
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2009 August 04, 01:52:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(yes, this job made you jump through hoops for a minimum-wage, part-time job), when in fact there weren't even any positions available. Don't ask me what this accomplished.
Huh Other than amusing sadistic HR people, maybe it was a way to "trade up" in employees?  Find someone "better" and fire a current employee, then give the new person their job?  Maybe even for less pay?
Or sniff out potential rivals, see if they need to up they're game, my sister went through some thing similar for the company that did rune scape.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2009 August 07, 21:46:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Shrugs* Say what you want, but our company IS hiring.  We had two people quit this week.  Wanna know how many applicants were waiting?  Zip, zero, nada.   None came in to apply, none applied on the website. 

Our business has increased.  Last summer, we'd be well done with the order packing by 1:00 p.m. at the latest.  Now we're lucky if we're done by 3:00.  This Monday I worked until 5:30.  Monday before, I worked until 4:00.  I think the earliest I've been out of there on a Monday is 3:30 this summer. 

My husband works for the same company, different location, different job.   The store manager told them that if they knew anyone who wanted a job, they could just bring them in to start work that night, all they would need is a ss or work visa.  No jumping through hoops, no drug tests like before.  Instead, you agree that if they want you to take a drug test, you'll go willingly.  And, as of yet, no one has come in and started working.  In their HD department, the crew boss has been working with a broken arm and a broken hand because they're that desperate, that it's worth it to pay him his wage for doing almost no work, because he just can't do it.  And it's not even a case of, "Well, they want to avoid paying workman's comp" because the accident happened off work.  They wouldn't have to pay him anything to sit at home and heal.

They also upped the pay to start from minimum wage to ten bucks and hour.  Plus, you get extra money for working 3rd shift.  Again, it's a tough job and few people like it, but again, it does provide health insurance.  And, the hours are flexible enough so if you just needed a job to keep you going/allow you to stretch out your unemployment benefits until you are working again, it isn't such a bad choice. 

Again, I understand that if you're a professional, used to making an income above 80K a year, you're not going to want to do a job like that, however, I also remember when the economy tanked in the early '80s, I was waitressing and we had people who were college educated, who had worked in various professional jobs, coming and and applying to be waitresses, hostesses, and dishwashers. 

Jobs that say they are hiring, but don't are out there.  But, at least where I'm working, we could use more people.  Husband and I are taking some time off next week for various reasons.  Previous two summers, my boss was cheering when I said I was going away, because it saved on payroll.  This year, I was asked several times if I really was sure I wanted to take vacation, especially on Monday, that I could work on Monday and then have the rest of the week off, blah blah blah.  Joking, I said, "Gimmie 250 dollars, cash money and allow me to leave at 4:00, no matter what and I'll do it."  My boss said, "If I had that much in petty cash I'd do it." 

So, the economy is sending some pretty mixed up signals as far as I'm concerned.  If things are really as horrible as everyone is saying, why aren't we swimming in applicants?  Why does the manager at my husband's branch been begging people to get their friends in to work? 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2009 August 07, 22:51:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Makes me wish we lived out your way, that's for sure. I could get my husband out of the smelly line of work he's in! Cheesy

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: 2009 August 08, 20:27:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A lot of americans aren't willing to do 'those jobs' anymore.  As a country I think we've gotten too proud - me?  I'd wait tables right now, if I thought I could manage it....but my health is not quite up to doing even a four hour shift on my feet.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2009 August 08, 20:41:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, what company is this?  I'd do it, if it didn't require moving several thousand miles...

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2009 August 09, 01:23:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, what company is this?  I'd do it, if it didn't require moving several thousand miles...

Do you live in New England or along the East Coast?

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2009 August 09, 17:43:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope.  Indiana. 

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2009 August 09, 18:16:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A lot of americans aren't willing to do 'those jobs' anymore.  As a country I think we've gotten too proud - me?  I'd wait tables right now, if I thought I could manage it....but my health is not quite up to doing even a four hour shift on my feet.
Aw, sorry about your feet. Sad  Could you do something like medical records transcription, or book flights for JetBlue?  Both of those let you work at a computer, from home.

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: 2009 August 10, 13:36:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, its more my knees - and I can do data entry type work, just have never been able to get anything beyond food service jobs.  Couldn't even break into retail O.o

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
paperbeth
ARR!

TS3 - Do not want!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: 2009 August 10, 13:55:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check to see if there are any document imaging places near you. I worked at a place that did microfilm, microfische and digital scanning of all kinds of documents. It's a sit-down job, so it's not hard on the legs. It's a simple enough job that almost anyone can do, but still interesting enough to keep you awake. They'll usually hire anyone 16 and over.

The place I worked for had me filming realistate, medical, and financial documents. Plus other various smaller accounts like Coca-Cola. Sometimes a special account would come in and you'd have to sign a secrecy waiver, saying that you won't discuss details of what you're filming/scanning. I always felt a little bit like a spy doing those jobs. I can tell you that I filmed the official architect's version of the blueprints for Bill Gates' house, but I can't tell you what I saw in them because I signed a waiver. I wouldn't want to make Mr.Gates angry.

Also, I'm a night person and they had a night shift with only about 6 of us working there. So we had a pretty tight night crew. It was actually fun.

Anyway, just a thought. I've had many many jobs, but none worked out as well for me as that one.

My Deviant artwork here.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: