PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 19:07:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?  (Read 192878 times)
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?
« Reply #435 on: 2009 March 10, 01:07:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You mean the thing that says, "sex, sex, sex" in Pescado's Avi?

Sorry about the webring thing.  I'm still pretty fried from the weekend.  We went out of town for about 36 hours, 24 of which were on the road.  And as we're sitting there so stiff we can barely move the Spousal Unit suddenly looks up from his condensed caffiene and chirps, "If I'd had another driver we could have day-tripped it!"

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
kattenijin
Landlubber

Gnarrraaahhhhh!

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: 2009 March 10, 08:23:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On a general basis: So what if some BBS moderator made a statement endorsing paysites. There’s nothing new in that. EA has always supported paysites, and always will. Besides, the ‘Paysites are illegal because of the EULA’-argument has always been dubious. I've never bought it. I mean, can anyone tell me how the EULA will stand up in any court against national legislation about copyright and intellectual property?

Yes? No? Well, my bet is that national legislation would overrule the EULA completely. Which means that creators – pay and free – may well be able to claim ownership and rights over their creations.

My biggest complaint about many of the paysites that bitch and moan about "the pirates stealing my creations", if you examine their content, that Prada bag, those Gucci or Louis Vuitton re-colors, those meshes of Pottery Barn and Ikea (only the Maxis stuff pack items are officially endorsed) furniture and that photo skinned sim of some famous actor or actress, etc, etc, etc, how much of a fee did they pay the holders of those copyrights? And, better yet, did they remember to claim their income on their taxes?? It's very much a case of pot-kettle to me.
giggy
ARR!

Stompable giggy is stompable - ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 2009 March 10, 08:25:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG I said A$$CANCER! SOWWEY!

I'm really not going to forgive him for what he said. He was such an asshole and shouldn't have said it in the first place. No apology cake from me because it was too late for that! (I know it's irritating to mention him but make it the last one, no really, I had enough of this bullshit!)
« Last Edit: 2009 March 10, 08:40:37 by giggy » Logged

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
I don't really understand this concept at all.
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 2009 March 10, 10:04:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, uh... Maybe I'm crazy, but I found that kinda cute. Aw, sad guy is sad! Hey, well, if it's all a bunch of crap, fine. If it's not, maybe he'll come out a better person in general. Either way, the ass cancer was out of line. And at the end of the day he's still at T$R, so... arr.

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 2009 March 10, 13:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

those meshes of Pottery Barn and Ikea (only the Maxis stuff pack items are officially endorsed)

I can't help wondering what exactly EA legal (not drea) would say if all the store items were "recolored" and posted for sale. Since they don't seem to mind if the EULA is broken.  Cheesy If they're uploaded to the Exchange, aren't the meshes included? Is this already happening with store items or does anyone know? *trying to keep mind from wandering off topic*  Roll Eyes

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: 2009 March 10, 14:26:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, uh... Maybe I'm crazy, but I found that kinda cute. Aw, sad guy is sad! Hey, well, if it's all a bunch of crap, fine. If it's not, maybe he'll come out a better person in general. Either way, the ass cancer was out of line. And at the end of the day he's still at T$R, so... arr.

I don't think you're crazy, I found it pretty sad myself. 

I'm not going to harbor a grudge.  He said some nasty stuff, but it sounds like he got hurt much more than he hurt us (Or, me at least, I cannot and will not speak for everyone)  He had to lose someone he really cares about as a friend to get a wake up call that he's pushing things.  I think he's paid his dues.  What he said was mean, but it was just words.  That's a rough thing, because we're told all the time that friends stick with each other through thick and thin, friends love you, even when you're not at your best, so on and so forth.  I find it to be bullshit for the most part, most people are all too eager to end a friendship if they think you're no longer useful to them for whatever reasons, but we're always getting this message from society, "Oh, a friend love you enough to put up with you when you're being a jerk!"  "A friend is always there for you!"  Blah blah blah.  No one says, "A friend is only a friend until you have a really bad spell and are acting like a jerk.  Then a friend will tell you you're an asshole and get the hell out of your life." 

I'm willing to shrug it off, if he's really learned something from it. 

Requip, someone mentioned in another thread that they had downloaded stuff from the Exchange with store items in it, and that the items worked fine.  I can't remember who it was, but if I find the thread again, I'll send you a link. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Skoria_Bay
ARR!

Give me a tall ship and star to sail her by

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 2009 March 10, 14:56:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to add my .02 cents on BBB, perhaps the friend had stood by him many times in the past. Sometimes people can only stand so much and then they finally had it. Scotty said as much when he posted about banning BBB. Friendship is a two way street and yes, sometimes people on both sides act like jackasses and they make up and go on. But if one friend is always a jackass and never seems to change, then it is time to move on for your own sanity and maybe to stop being a crutch for the jackass in question. Maybe then the friend will wake up as I hope BBB has and realize what he destroyed. What BBB said about cancer (not just colon cancer) was immature and uninformed. If he suffers from a terminal illness, I pray his last days will be filled with peace and that he not know the pain that my husband's grandmother suffered the last month or so of her life as she died from liver cancer.

As for the items from the Exchange store, I wish I could be able to download them, but they don't download on a regular Mac like mine. I don't have an Intel Mac. And Maxis was nice and used to share the free items from the site with Aspyr to recode. EA sure is a bunch of greedy, non caring people.

Pescado: I will THROW THEM IN A VAT OF BOILING SHARKS!
mustluvcatz: So, what good would a vat of boiling sharks do? I mean, wouldn't the sharks be dead?
Pescado: SILENCE!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: 2009 March 10, 15:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, it sounds like he was pushing away this friend, to keep from being an asshole, and failed.

Honestly, I hope he does read this place.  I for one wanted to comment that I didn't hate him, but felt sorry for him.  It seems he has a lot of growing up to do, and hopefully this does the trick.

Me, I know that its just as important to let your friends give to you as it is for them to let you give to them - whther it be gifts, help or just being there.  And that's as hard a lesson to learn as the one about taking and never giving being bad.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 2009 March 10, 15:35:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's definately not the hundreds of posts that he had hurt people in the community that made him change his mind. Fully expecting he will pull another shitty thing on the community and not acknowledge what he causes (after the many, many shitty things he has already done), I will forgive what he said and not take personal offense anymore. Judging from his blog, he was out of controll and lashing out to reject that he made a mistake.
His business with his friend has very little to do with the situation between him and the community as a whole, and I doubt he will change his mind about us, ever.

Inactive
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 2009 March 10, 15:58:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Still love the friend I once had, don't like the person he is being. Big difference to me, though. I can love someone and hate their actions even when I understand them. I can care about what happens to them even after they've treated me like total shit. I can still wish them well even when they've thrown friendship back into my face. I can also walk away when the losses get to be too much and they've reduced what once was a good and warm relationship into browbeating and hatred. It's called cutting the losses and protecting yourself.

The bit about cancer and trying to blame the reference on pop culture doesn't cut it. I haven't watched that show since my daughter was a six and it was pretty bad then. I can only imagine it's gotten worse. BBB isn't going to change towards this community, and for some reason I highly doubt he's going to change outside of it as well. I read his blog last night before I went to bed and I remember thinking, "Your wake up call comes a bit late, but I wonder if you can change before the last of your friends take their leave of you? Good luck, you're going to need it."

A person can only take being belted emotionally for so long before they become numb to it or sick to death of it and then slag back or walk out. Illness doesn't excuse one person abusing another, nor does anything else. Just because a person cares about you doesn't mean they're going to let you heap shit on them constantly and it sounds like Beos finally learned that.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 2009 March 10, 22:19:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Somehow, to me, simply warning people I am an asshole and selfish came to excuse the fact I am."   -Beos

This is the part that seems to me to be the real problem for him.  Just because you admit you are an asshole doesn't mean you don't still have consequences for your actions.  That seems to be where he is with this.  I know a lot of people that seem to think that "as long as I admit and warn people that I am a jerk then that makes it okay" but it doesn't.  You will allow people to have realistic expectations of you but that doesn't mean your actions will be excused. Hopefully, this is a lesson he has learned.  I will wait and see. After all he has warned me that he is a selfish asshole and I have every reason to take his word for plus I have seen it in action so I may just allow the natural consequences of his actions determine what happens.

Just my 2 cents.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
Witchboy
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: 2009 March 10, 22:56:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

His business with his friend has very little to do with the situation between him and the community as a whole, and I doubt he will change his mind about us, ever.

It does when said friend is a part of this very community. I happen to know who it is but cannot say.

*Empress Paden's Fanboy*
*ShanOw, now 100% more stoppable then me!*
*O Coconut, Coconut, wherefore art thou Coconut?*

Quinctia
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: 2009 March 10, 23:02:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm of two minds with people who are self-described assholes.

There's the type that think that stating this is a free pass to be an asshole to everyone, without any reason, and without any one calling them out on their poor behavior.

Then there's the type that use the statement to inform people out there that they don't mince words with false niceties if the situation warrants harsh words.

Most people fall into the former category, but I have no problem with the latter.  I have no problem with people who are assholes when they have a reason to be.  It's when every single thing you do or say is assholish that you lose worth as a friend or colleague or acquaintance, in my eyes.

It's often a subtle difference, but I can see it.  To me, that's the difference between someone like BBB, who, from what I've seen, lashes out at every single person and thing, almost to "prove" his assholishness, and someone like Pescado, who lashes out a lot, but only at people and things that he deems deserving.
Tabby
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 2009 March 10, 23:04:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then in my opinion that was unnecessary. It's a bit like putting your fingers in your ears and shouting "I know something you don't know!" . Forgive me if I am being a bitch, I have spent the past week with TWO sick toddlers and I rather feel like dumping acid on my head, as it would be less painful.

My husband and I know someone who has the same problem attitude wise that BBB has. He got fired from his job because of it, but won't accept responsibility for it, he prefers to blame my husband. We are now having to deal with his girlfriend who is actively trying to get my husband fired in revenge. People like him don't change, and while I hate that he had to loose a friend, it's his own fault. Being an asshole is no excuse, no matter how open about you are.

Fuck.You.
Disillusioned miscreant
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 2009 March 10, 23:13:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to answer someones question  ( sorry if someone did answer, I did not see one) But yes the store items do show up if you download them in the exchange. That is how I ended up with some stuff.  When you use clean installer they do show up highlighted in red tho... but they work. At least in lots, not sure about sim stuff like hairs and clothes.

That could be another site someone may want to tackle along with sim smut. A pay site with nothing but recolored store stuff. I would so do it but I have never recolored a darn thing. I had a fight with SimPE  when first trying to use it, and it won. We decided to part ways and never speak of the incident again.

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: