PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 00:36:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?  (Read 192840 times)
elencha
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Ea makes statement March 2 making paysites ok?
« Reply #270 on: 2009 March 05, 06:36:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this. I had around eight pages to read through by the time I got home from work,. But I would so love to be of help on any proof of concept/EA butthurt project. I can't make quality content or anything,, but if money is needed, I can do that... Or hmm.. writing, Careers, I guess I could do. Whatever, the point is I love the idea and want to help.

Moune
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: 2009 March 05, 08:03:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just popping in quickly to say:

I'm very sorry, but I'm going to have to leave this discussion. The father of my son arrived from France to visit for the first time yesterday, and the situation is demanding a lot more of my attention that I expected. I don't really have time or energy to concentrate on anything else.

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't turned my back because of anger or grudge or anything else negative.  Smiley

* Formerly known as Peachfish *
Got a hungry sim that needs a nice place to have dinner? HERE is a new dining room for you.
MamaKitty
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2009 March 05, 10:58:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Devilfish.  I'm willing to help in the project.  I don't have much experience making sim movies.  But I do have mod/hacks that work fairly well with each other, in my game anyway.  Expansion packs I've got are nightlife, pets, seasons.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: 2009 March 05, 12:43:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks to anyone who wants to help. I've never been offered smut so eagerly before Grin

I can do a lot of it myself, the only thing I've got no talent for is editing movies, so if there's anyone brave enough (and in possesion of enough eye bleach) to do that, that'd be awesome. If you've got any movies that'd fit the... um... 'theme', feel free to put them on Mediafryer. (Promise I won't as any questions.)

I don't know what your thoughts are, but maybe it'd be best to keep this as 'Maxis' as possible, not too much cc. Because this is sticking it to EA and not paysites. On the other hand, an army of butthurt paysite peeps would be pretty sweet. Thoughts?

(Also, make new thread, y/n?)

elencha
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2009 March 05, 14:59:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think a new thread is a good idea.

As far as keeping it as Maxis as possible, I'm rather torn myself. On the one hand I think the point is more precise that way,  being in keeping with their respect the creator's policy "statement". On the other hand, paysite butthurt is what we're all about, not to mention I foresee many opportunities to P&L at the ensuing writhing and gnashing of paysite teeth.

For the record, I've never tried editing a movie but I'd certainly be willing to try and learn. Also, I've got no movies made yet, but I've got more woohoo related hacks in my game than I can count and would totally love something to do with them other than proving to the BF that the Sims isn't corny.

Edited because my grammar isn't actually that bad.

Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: 2009 March 05, 18:30:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can do one with nothing but EA stuff to stick it to them and then one with a bunch of TSR crap to make them pissy too. Share the love I say!

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: 2009 March 05, 18:46:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Understood, Moune.  Good luck with the visit.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 2009 March 05, 18:48:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ Moune: Good luck and happy trails!

@ Yous Movies Guys: Sick! I love you. Lips sealed

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 2009 March 05, 19:08:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, this is a reply by EA to an email by someone on another site--N99--, asking about paysites.

Screenie: http://picasaweb.google.com/cb1803.1817/MISC?feat=directlink+#5309506514794942210

For those with old eyes, relevant portions:

we support customers adhering to the request of another customer regarding if they are allowed to distribute custom content they have made. Essentially, if I had made a couch you also wanted to distribute, I would expect you to request permission from me to do so.

Also, subscription fees are to be a member of the site itself. Membership allows you to fully use the site, but you are not paying for the items themselves, simply the use of the site. If you wish to use a site that charges a fee for use (whether related to the sims or not), you have to pay the fee in order to use the service. Some of our fans go to great lengths to create sites that were not cheap to design. If they feel that it is fair to charge an amount to use their site, that is up to them and will only limit traffic to their site if other users don't want to pay the fees. So, it's up to you on whether or not you want to pay the fee for site access. But, again, this is not the same as paying per download for items (which is what you would do on our site).

If this is official it does change the discussion.  I'm too wiped to consider ramifications.

And if I don't get back to this thread with answers right away it's because I'll be gone for a couple of days on a family outing, not cause I'm ignoring anyone.

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Jonesi
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: 2009 March 05, 19:25:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except that they don't charge just to use the site, they're charging for downloads.

dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 2009 March 05, 19:30:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Take, for instance, Rose. She charges per item. And Peggy doesn't charge you to use the site. She charges you to DOWNLOAD THE ITEMS. Same as T$R. I don't have to pay to view the items or use the search function, etc. but if I want AN ITEM, I have to BUY a subscription. I don't have to pay to log in, mind you.

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
eternal_darkness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 2009 March 05, 19:31:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If this was an e-mail response to someONE then I highly doubt it is official. If someone else sent in the same question they would probably get a different reply. Also, if you read closely enough, he didn't really answer the question.

Edit: Afterthought
« Last Edit: 2009 March 05, 19:43:17 by eternal_darkness » Logged

The World Will Look Up and Shout, “Save Us!” And I’ll Look Down and Whisper, “No.”
siberiansunset
ARR!

Nimeni on Inigo Montoya...

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 2009 March 05, 19:35:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's as official as Maxoiddrea saying it. Without an actual EULA change you can't convince me otherwise.

There's humans and monkeys and you're what God made between.
Oh yeah, SHAKESHIT IS A THIEF!
Set Them Free!
TSR Tool...
justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 2009 March 05, 19:43:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even if TSR could get round this subscription rule they cannot get around the FAs charging or being paid to produce custom content, that is definitely commercial enterprise.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 2009 March 05, 20:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it me, or does that statement sound utterly and completely full of a warm, brown substance?

Not to defend TSR, but in the old days, I would have understood this logic saving them. Back when TSR did the "Only so much is free, and it rotates."  Because then, you could say that you bought a subscription to have the right to download whenever you wanted, whatever you wanted.  While it would still be wrong to pay the "artists", it would be pretty easy to claim that you weren't paying for the items, you were paying for the convenience of the items availibility.  But, once they decided that the FA items were pay only, then they began charging for items.  And, no matter how they do it, if they are paying "artists" to produce this stuff, then it is a commercial enterprise.  Someone is making money off Sim content and sim content alone.

Some sites have had dedicated,  faster servers which are only for people who donate.  In that case, yes, you are paying for the site, not the item.  You can get the item another way, that might be more annoying, but it is possible. 

However, no matter how you slice it, if you have to pay to gain access to certain items, and that is the only way to get access to those items, then the items are pay, not the site.  I can't even see how you could claim it was the site.  Otherwise, then these so-called "Pay for my site, not my stuff" places couldn't have free items. 

Food for thought... if this really is the legal loophole that EA games is going to jump through to be able to protect and worship TSR's and other paysites asses, the booty might end up making paysites legal.  Follow me on this one, I know that sounds strange, but, techically, someone charging for content could say, "I'm only charging you for the convenience of downloading my stuff from my website.  If you want my stuff for free, go to the booty." 

Edit for: Clarification.

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: