PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 20:46:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Reflex forum is now closed
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reflex forum is now closed  (Read 90707 times)
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
Re: Reflex forum is now closed
« Reply #180 on: 2009 February 17, 14:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lemmings don't actually jump off cliffs, they actually simply fall off because of the pushing of too many crowds of lemmings. It IS, however, an overpopulation reaction, as when there are too many lemmings, they decide to migrate, like coconuts, only lemmings do so in hordes (as opposed to being carried by African swallows). At some point they reach a cliff, and decide to stop, but the lemmings behind them can't see this cliff, so push them over.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2009 February 17, 14:59:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lemmings don't actually jump off cliffs, they actually simply fall off because of the pushing of too many crowds of lemmings. It IS, however, an overpopulation reaction, as when there are too many lemmings, they decide to migrate, like coconuts, only lemmings do so in hordes (as opposed to being carried by African swallows). At some point they reach a cliff, and decide to stop, but the lemmings behind them can't see this cliff, so push them over.

Exactly.  Mass migration is a smart move when the area is getting played out, send a bunch to a new area, or have everyone go to a new area that isn't played out.  Having a "Who can jump off a cliff to their death faster!" contest isn't.  While it may get rid of the stupidest ones, it also gets rid of the strongest and fastest ones as well.

Dying for some, on the way to the new place, is acceptable in most circumstances.  As long as the new place has a good mix of breeding capable males and females, repopulation will happen.  As well as mishaps, if the journey is long and difficult, some of the weaker will die out too.  Again, from an evolutionary standpoint, it's a win-win, because that means less of a population that needs to be cared for mucking about in a new area, and also keeps some of the weaker out of the breeding pool. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2009 February 17, 16:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The point remains that lemmings are not the brightest creatures out there. While they're not suicidal, this particular form of mishap IS something they essentially cause as a result of herd mentality.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
siberiansunset
ARR!

Nimeni on Inigo Montoya...

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2009 February 17, 16:33:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow! I had no idea lemmings could spark such conversation Wink

The point remains that lemmings are not the brightest creatures out there. While they're not suicidal, this particular form of mishap IS something they essentially cause as a result of herd mentality.

If you go by this than it seems to me TSR are the "new" lemmings.  Roll Eyes

There's humans and monkeys and you're what God made between.
Oh yeah, SHAKESHIT IS A THIEF!
Set Them Free!
TSR Tool...
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2009 February 17, 17:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow! I had no idea lemmings could spark such conversation Wink

If you go by this than it seems to me TSR are the "new" lemmings.  Roll Eyes

No! Then I'd be hard pressed not to feel some sort of pity for them
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2009 February 17, 18:11:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would agree the herd mentality isn't very smart, but not all evolutionary moves are smart, it mostly comes down to "Will the species be able to go on with this."  Improvements are always good, but not everything is an improvement.  Or, sometimes something was an improvement and now is no longer an improvement, but it's also not enough of a disability/liability to cause the species to die out.  I don't know what dangers lemmings face where they are, but I would imagine when the herd behavior started, there was probably a good reason.  Most likely a Lemming stamped helped get through an enemy territory  "Sure, you may want to eat us, but we'll just mow you over by sheer mass!"   Even if some were killed and eaten by enemies, the sheer volume factor would make sure everyone wasn't killed.  Same with the cliffs.  If they had to get near cliffs and some fell because of the whole "herd" thing, then obviously the sacrifice of lemmings is acceptable and they're still able to thrive.

I haven't done much research into Lemmings, but some types seem to be on the endangered list, but this doesn't seem to be because of mass migration, it seems more likely that we humans are invading their turf.  

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2009 February 17, 18:37:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

T$R are the predators that chase the herd off of the cliffs and eat those that can't out run them.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
dragonballz
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2009 February 18, 00:36:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh for the love of all that is holy...PLEASE tell me that is not an honest-to-goodness real-life piccie of The Twat. My eyes are bleeding. I see now that I must change the comic...I made her backside too lovely to illustrate such a hideous...uggggh. I am struggling for words right now, so will turn to quoting the illustrious "Westley" (brought to Eighties-eye-candy life by Carey Elwes) "Dear God, what is that THING?!"

Oh yeah...and whoever suggested the "group portrait"...ding-ding, we have a winner! I'm chortling with much mirth and glee over how much fun that will be to do.  Grin
« Last Edit: 2009 February 18, 00:48:09 by dragonballz » Logged
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2009 February 18, 00:47:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lemmings are not very bright but they are rather tasty !

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
Tabby
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2009 February 18, 13:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll give a hearty OM NOM NOM to 80's Carey Elwes!  Cheesy

Fuck.You.
Disillusioned miscreant
Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: 2009 February 18, 13:16:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm yes.  I remember lemmings well.  A great game. I used to like trapping them by putting a blocker lemming at either side, waiting for them all to fall through and then nuking the lot of them.  They'd wipe out entire hills with their explosions.  Guarranteed fun and hilarity for all.  (The sound of that 'Oh no!' then 'pop' is echoing in my mind Grin )

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2009 February 18, 15:25:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll give a hearty OM NOM NOM to 80's Carey Elwes!  Cheesy

Heartily seconded!
siberiansunset
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2009 February 18, 15:29:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wink

Set Them Free!
TSR Tool...
karu
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2009 February 18, 18:09:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Coconut is pure win   Grin

http://tsr.mustbedestroyed.org/?page_id=358

Not so gone...

siberiansunset
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2009 February 18, 18:39:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shocked Man Coconut totally PWNS their ASS! (yet again!) Thanks karu for alerting me to the new entry! Cheesy

*passes celebration rum*  Wink

ETA: *gone* sorry for that-in all fairness to her (yes...) it does look made up.
« Last Edit: 2009 February 18, 19:04:06 by siberiansunset » Logged

Set Them Free!
TSR Tool...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: