PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 01:59:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 127 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)  (Read 591851 times)
simsrocks
ARR!

Sparkle

View Profile
Re: Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)
« Reply #1155 on: 2009 May 13, 18:49:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the UK is England, Scotland and Wales.
pickles
ARR!

Disillusioned Miscreant

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: 2009 May 13, 18:52:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Northern Ireland, yes?

puzzle pirates, yarrrr (I'm on malachite)
If God wanted women to like me, He would have made me a chocolate shoe filled with money. ~Hastings Kilgore
ferncapel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: 2009 May 13, 19:05:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um dude.
Whatever problem you have with Chaos is yours to deal with however you see fit. However

I'm British, therefore i am English. English being my language and the country that actually spells and pronounces the English language correctly...unlike other English speaking countries that spell and pronounce common words incorrectly, and think it's the correct way!

How was that was appropriate? You just insulted a LARGE contingent of members here for absolutely no reason. Good luck with all that.

FYI, some of us are ESL or EOL(to be more exact) and write better than you. So drop the fucking attitude.

No problem with Chaos at all, just making a point that using ellipses should not evoke a reply that i may be ESL. The two do not connect together. I just explained that i was in fact...English.
As for the remark that you write better English than me, your post certainly was not proof of that. Using abbreviations for "for your information" and swearing are certainly not better.
As for insulting a whole contingent of members, that was not my intention and i apologise if i have. I don't have an atitude, i made a valid point...that i was British and English and just clarifying that i wasn't ESL. Reading back i can see that what i said was not appropiate and really wasn't a suitable reply to what Chaos said anyway! All i can think is that i totally misunderstood what he/she was saying.
Though i never actually mentioned any particular English speaking country or said  i was refering to every single one of them...i said 'other'.Take it which way you want, if you take it personally thats up to you. Your atitude is no better.

I apologise to anyone i offended, was not intentional.

I think what ChaosInAMinor meant is that posts with an overuse of ellipses can be difficult to understand. As a general rule, once per post is plenty, otherwise it can be difficult to follow what is being said. Also, as a side note, I wouldn't worry too much about being called "dude". Here in the midwest, at least, it gets used plenty as a slang term for both genders.

Incidentally, your post lead me to believe that you are confusing American English and British English, which are in fact two different things, thus neither can be more "correct" than the other. (The English teacher in me just had to point that out. Wink)

Dude over here tends to be used towards the male population and was popular as a term in the 1970's.

But now you've all carried on the conversation and turned it into a debate...i have a few replies to those posted. Didn't want a debate on the English Language,  i was annoyed because of a stupid remark that because i used ellipses a little too much, that English was possibly not my first language.

I am not confusing American or British English at all. Whereas i agree that the old English language is a combination of many going back through centuries of history...thankyou to Paden for the history lesson! American English still originates from British English ( which was really just English until the British Empire in the 19th-20th centuries swept through the world spreading the language,thus we now call it British English, well we in Britain don't...we just call it English!) As with the U.S.A, British colonisation brought it to you, after all the U.S.A has no officiall language, only those adopted from other countries as you were colonised.
I understand that over the years the U.S.A has adapted the language to it's own and now it's called American English but the word English kind of gives it's origin away...it still is a bastardisation of the English language that we brought over to you. So therefore the British English is actually more correct than the American English...they were never originally two different languages, just one, that you have changed dramatically and is now called American/Canadian English (wherever you're from) . Or Australia.

Im not an expert on any of this, but i don't pretend i am either.

I'm British, therefore i am English. English being my language and the country that actually spells and pronounces the English language correctly...unlike other English speaking countries that spell and pronounce common words incorrectly, and think it's the correct way! I think i know the English language well enough.

Heck, I'm British and I'm offended by this. You do realise that all countries around the world that learn English as a second language learn it from us, right? So if theirs is so bad, then ours must be equally as bad if not worse. Also, countries like America don't spell it incorrectly its just how its evolved over there. We spell colour with a U, they don't - just how they flow. Get over it already Roll Eyes

Also British does not equal English goddamnit, it equals BRITISH. Britain is made up of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English people and are known collectively as British.

I never said that being British equalled English...get your facts straight. I said i was English as i mentioned the English Language. As English is England's native language. But Ireland, Wales and Scotland have their own native language and i was discussing the English language...not them.

Reply to Darqstar, Simsrocks and Pickles. The U.K is England, Scotland, WAles and Northern Ireland, also known as Britain (or Great Britain) We seem to like lots of names over here  Cheesy

Again apologies to anyone i offended  Cool

« Last Edit: 2009 May 13, 20:04:36 by ferncapel » Logged
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: 2009 May 13, 20:03:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought the Picts and Celts were the original settlers there and were driven out by the Anglos that became the English peoples of today. What happened to their language? What about the Bretons or are they counted as the same peoples? I have so many questions because my ancestors that hailed from England buggered the hell outta there in the early 1600's. Cheesy

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: 2009 May 13, 20:22:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't really call it an exaggerated use of ellipses (An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence) its just a habit that i write in that fashion as i'm thinking something through in my head...don't even realise i write like that sometimes. There i've done it again! I actually don't write like that most of the time!
If i'm ESL? well not sure what that means, after not having heard of the abbreviation before. I looked it up.
ESL - English as a Second Language. Is that what you are refering to?
I'm British, therefore i am English.
I think the ESL thing was maybe a bit harsh, and the original point was lost in whatever baggage those initials imply.
What I think that person was getting at is that your post was long and seemingly unorganized. I myself just skimmed over it. No offense intended. I was too lazy at the time to give it my full attention.

Also, as a side note, I wouldn't worry too much about being called "dude". Here in the midwest, at least, it gets used plenty as a slang term for both genders.

West Coast too. I call my fellow gal pals "dude" sometimes. Calling them "sister" or "chicka" or something is just TOO girly for my taste. And sometimes it just comes out. For a lot of people "dude" is gender-neutral. In fact, most people use "dude" in place of words like "wow" or "Whoa" nowadays. It's not even a word anymore, as much as it is a gasp. Or a grunt.

Then again, I think most of my peers and younger folk talk in grunts and clicks anyway. (now all we need is the dolphins to take offense at that comment)
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: 2009 May 13, 20:46:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Psssst, I heard that Flipper is boycotting you and planning to throw fish at your head next time you're at the beach, dude! Be careful! Cheesy

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: 2009 May 13, 21:03:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Koalas are a poor invasive species because they eat only a single specific food source that isn't native to anywhere else. Maybe if we genetically engineered some deadly killer koalas that were extremely clever, conniving creatures that ate humans...like, say, "Phascolarctus Bityness"...
Do I look like I'm picky about how I get my koala invasion?

All I know is that the 80's have promised us many things and are yet to deliver. The only ones of worth being voluminous hair and cigar smoking/possibly airline piloting koalas.

Psssst, I heard that Flipper is boycotting you and planning to throw fish at your head next time you're at the beach, dude! Be careful! Cheesy
Bitch can take it up with my koala.
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: 2009 May 13, 21:08:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. I wasn't expecting to offend you so much. I apologize. I threw in the ESL bit because if you were, I didn't want you to think I was being mean. I'm sorry that it may have come across as offensive. And dude is gender neutral out here, too. It's just slang, like "mate" out there. So, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Now that my apologies are done, I hope you don't fall off your "The English here is sooo much more superior" high horse and hurt yourself. That had nothing to do with what I was saying.

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: 2009 May 13, 21:18:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that my apologies are done, I hope you don't fall off your "The English here is sooo much more superior" high horse and hurt yourself.
Oh no!
http://www.inquisitr.com/22231/madonna-falls-off-horse-minor-injuries-reported-p2s/
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1164 on: 2009 May 13, 21:29:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm British, therefore i am English. English being my language and the country that actually spells and pronounces the English language correctly...unlike other English speaking countries that spell and pronounce common words incorrectly, and think it's the correct way! I think i know the English language well enough.

Heck, I'm British and I'm offended by this. You do realise that all countries around the world that learn English as a second language learn it from us, right? So if theirs is so bad, then ours must be equally as bad if not worse. Also, countries like America don't spell it incorrectly its just how its evolved over there. We spell colour with a U, they don't - just how they flow. Get over it already Roll Eyes

Also British does not equal English goddamnit, it equals BRITISH. Britain is made up of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English people and are known collectively as British.

Actually, some of us yanks spell it with a u too - all those British writers I grew up reading, at a guess.  I've even gotten points off on papers written for a music class in college, for using british spellins [ turns out my prof's ex-husband was british Smiley ].

As for american English verses british english - some of it was natural linguistic evolution - some of it was on purpose right after the Revolutionary War.

I'm not offended, personally - I took it as being a tongue-in-cheek sort of comment.  I don't care if its -al-u-min-ium- or -a-lu-min-um-, its still this flimsy, silvery metal. Cheesy

Editted to add - Oh, and since no Brit pronounces English exactly the same way, which way is proper?  West-side London?  Liverpool?  Yorkshire?

Also - There were plenty of -native- languages in the Americas before the bloody Europeans came over and pushed aside the natives.  Don't get me started, but the notion that the Natives were ignorant savages pisses me off, and that rage is a bit high still, after having fresh reminders of what -exactly- the Europeans and their descendants did, having gone to Cherokee this past weekend.  It was the exact same bloody attitude Julius Caesar had towards the Celts.  Not to mention that a good chunk of the settlers here were -not- British.  Its just the founding fathers were.

If I sound bitchy, then oh well - but I really get pissed at the attitude that either noone lived here before the Europeans sailed over, or they just aren't worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 13, 21:37:27 by SoggyFox » Logged

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
simsample
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: 2009 May 13, 21:45:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the UK is England, Scotland and Wales.
Great Britain is the landmass that consists of England, Scotland and Wales. The British Isles also refers to the surrounding islands such as the Shetlands. The UK consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Eire is seperate.
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: 2009 May 13, 21:54:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am native, Inuit to be exact or Eskimo. When I say I am esl  most assume I am not Canadian or north American. I grew up speaking Inuktitut , then french. When I say I am from the north pole I mean it! lol there was 300 people in my town and there was no roads in or out just plans in the summer. Even tho I am an adult I had to take ESL classes when I moved to nova scotia. It was funny because I was sitting in class with people who were not from canada, my people always have been here but I could not even order a coffee at tim Horton's.

Native languages are still alive in some parts of the world. The language of the Celts is too. Here in Nova Scotia  there is celtic schools that teach it .

So thank you soggyfox for remembering us savages lol!

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
Anyerfillag
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: 2009 May 13, 22:35:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never said that being British equalled English...get your facts straight. I said i was English as i mentioned the English Language. As English is England's native language. But Ireland, Wales and Scotland have their own native language and i was discussing the English language...not them.

Sorry but whats this then:

That to me says you're equating British as English. Also, would you class Scotland, Wales and Ireland as other English speaking countries? Cause the majority of us (I'm scottish) speak English, and have our native language as our second language as its been beaten out of us for centuries by well, the English. I still say that you were snobbish and offensive telling others, the majority being American, that they are wrong for spelling things differently. Heck, we as a nation spell things differently from region to region, depending on the language and dialect we use.

For those confused by our numerous names, we use the abreviation of UK in the day-to-day conversations and Great Britain is used during sports such as the Olympics. As a matter of fact its less Great, more Britain; I might be wrong but Great Britain relates to our Empire days. Oh and Eire is also known as the Republic of Ireland. Yes, we like having many names for our countries Cheesy

The 'proper' English is the Queens English, which is posh without a regional accent. But we commoners like to fuck around with it all the time Cheesy

PMBD - Its not a fake-ass glitter funfest where everyone is wonderful and luuuuved (Ashbashtus)
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: 2009 May 13, 22:45:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

something offensive to dolphins

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: 2009 May 13, 22:57:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that a good chunk of the settlers here were -not- British.  Its just the founding fathers were.

*raises hand* This seems like a good time to mention some pointless trivia. So, when the United States took a vote on our 'official' language, English won out by one vote. We were ::this:: close to speaking German. Or at least that's what they told me in all those damn history classes that never made it even as far as the Civil War. Personally, I'd rather speak Spanish (I can haz EZ verb conjugation), but, yeah...

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 127 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: