PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:02:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 127 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)  (Read 591716 times)
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)
« Reply #1125 on: 2009 May 11, 16:58:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly my point too dstar!  You can live among the wild life if you respect the fact that they live there too and if you leave a garbage buffet out in the yard they are going to take advantage of it, if you leave a door or garage open they will wonder in .

I am from the north pole, and now family back home have issues with polar bears wondering in land because the ice is melting. Polar bears are aggressive and hard to kill because their skin is so thick. You need to aim for the head and hope to god you don't miss.

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
LadyDea
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: 2009 May 11, 17:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I keep waiting to hear that a baby got carried off,  and if that will be enough to make them believe.

If that happened people would get into a huff and start rallying together to "remove" these "dangerous creatures" and "think of the children!". It's like those idiotic people who keep wild animals for pets and are surprised when that cuddly hug from their tiger was actually a move to bite their face off. Then the animal is put down because it is not the "cuddly, good pet" that they intended to have. Pisses me off. >< They're wild  animals, for fuck's sake, not domestic house cats.

Edit: Just to get back on topic: PIPES!. I know that grunge/industrial isn't in everyone's taste, but I thought these were well-done and I know I'll get much use out of them.
« Last Edit: 2009 May 11, 17:10:07 by LadyDea » Logged

Come visit Sammytopia
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: 2009 May 11, 17:09:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The other issue is inexperienced campers. Big issue around here because most bear and wildcat attacks are caused by people who do not put their food items in airtight containers to begin with and then do something stupid like storing the food boxes and food coolers in their tent (really bad and incredibly stupid idea).

Have you ever read "Death in Yellowstone"? It details all the grotesque ways people have died at Yellowstone because they ignored signs and/or did the opposite of the advice of rangers. 99% of the deaths were from pure stupidity.  People who dived into the hot springs and boiled to death-- walking around the wilderness, bewildered in leather dress-shoes-- asking in amazement if the surroundings were real or an amusement park (i kid you not). They act like the wildlife are interactive characters, like in disneyland and get gored or trampled.
Out of the whole book, there were only 2 or 3 deaths that made me sad. A little boy who got some hot water from the springs in his eye, then dove into the hot springs, mistaking it for normal water and died. A unleashed dog that dove into the hot springs (his owner then dove in to save it despite his friends trying to stop him-- both died). And a woman who was camping alone and eaten by a bear.

The woman was the only one that seemed to have followed all reasonable precautions. But despite her preperation and knowledge there are no garantees.

So basically, the dog, the kid, and the woman. The rest I chalk up to natural seleciton.

Every animal "alters" nature just by being there. Look at what happens to an ecosystem when an outside plant or animal gets put there -- rabbits in Australia, various water-hungry plants
I'd like to point out that what you're describing there are alien species introduced by the idiocy of people. Rabbits were introduced by white people in austrailia because they thought it would make them feel at home to hunt game that they had from home. My original point was that any photographer, natural scientist, naturalist who tries to observe nature can never take what they see as "natural" because their human presence alters natural behavior. Take the praying mantis for example. For decades people thought they ate eachother when mating, but that was a grossly exaggerated behavior due to the way the scientists orchestrated the mating. They do sometimes, actually. But its more like "sometimes" vs. a requirement as previously thought.

Since we supposedly have the intelligence and foresight to know better, this makes us the stupidest animals, since we don't actually use our skills.
I thought what made humans being stupid was watching reality tv and the fact that FOUR fast and the furious movies were made.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1128 on: 2009 May 11, 17:13:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Happens with domestic animals too, and half the time, its not even a case of the animal behaving aggresively, but playing a little too rough and drawing a little blood.

In high school, we got a dobie pup.  Sweet creature, he was, and since we didn't clip his ears [ his tail had already been docked 8grrr*] he looked as sweet as he was.  But he was also a goober.  When he hit adolescence, he decided the female goats were female dogs and spent a lot o time trying to chase them down for fun.  And dogs nip at the necks of their girlfriends....he got too good of a nip, though it didn't scare the goat, just confuse her, but the vet said if a dobie draws blood it will become vicious and hurt the kids, so my mom had him put down - she should have known better, too.

Same thing happens with domesticated wild animals.  People are pretty sure the 'attack' on Siegfried [or was it Roy?] wasn't an attack, but a case where the cat thought his friend was in trouble and tried to pick him up like you would a cub.  Disastrous, but not a case of a wild animal attacking.  A domesticated wild animal is still domesticated - but even the most domestic animals are dangerous if the human is stupid.

And some animals have been domesticated for generations, but are still considered wild, because the fur industry doesn't want their breeding stock turned in a pat - such as the domestic fox breeds - and yes, the red fox used for fur and raised on ranches is most definitely domesticated, just like minks, chickens, cows and the like.  Then there are the pet breeds like the Fennec, which were originally domesticated for food, then it was realized they made good pets too.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
LadyDea
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: 2009 May 11, 17:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very good point. I just don't understand how people can want to have "exotic" pets and expect them to not attack or play roughly. It makes me incredibly sad when I hear stories how some lady's pet tiger bit her arm off, or drew blood and suddenly they're not "fit" for keeping as a pet. They shouldn't be pets, they aren't pets. Collect foreign china or something, stupid humans. Not animals. ><

Come visit Sammytopia
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: 2009 May 11, 17:23:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I keep waiting to hear that a baby got carried off,  and if that will be enough to make them believe.

If that happened people would get into a huff and start rallying together to "remove" these "dangerous creatures" and "think of the children!". It's like those idiotic people who keep wild animals for pets and are surprised when that cuddly hug from their tiger was actually a move to bite their face off. Then the animal is put down because it is not the "cuddly, good pet" that they intended to have. Pisses me off. >< They're wild  animals, for fuck's sake, not domestic house cats.
My god. Those people are the worst. You just know that THEY know that deep down, they're horribly bland,  stupid, boring people, and that scares them to death. Getting an "exotic" pet is just to flatter themselves and convince themselves that they're exotic by association. In the end, its the animal that suffers. I just hope they get a little revenge before they're inevitably put down.

Edit: Just to get back on topic: PIPES!. I know that grunge/industrial isn't in everyone's taste, but I thought these were well-done and I know I'll get much use out of them.
GORGEOUS. Those would look great with my fallout collection (the game objects, not the band)
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: 2009 May 11, 18:17:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an exotic pet, he was a rescue. The scarlet Macaw is one of the largest parrots and are very intelligent and could also break your bones with their beaks. We tried looking into an animal sanctuary to take him, none close will because they only deal with domestic wild critters. We would have to send him to florida on our own money , which would be around 2 thousand dollars. Plus the stress of being quarantined may kill him.
 Max is too be respected, he is very love able but will bite if threatened... he was abused and still has issues.  so idiot neighbours who want me to introduce their kids to Max I say NO. He hates fingers coming at his face and that is the first things kids do... or they pull his feathers, another big no no.
 Idiots get these birds and have no idea they require tons of special care and can be dangerous. We respect Max and he respects us... he is more of a rommate then a pet  lol!

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: 2009 May 11, 18:53:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly - all animals, not just the wild ones, should be treated with respect and love.  My cats, dog and snake are family.  There are some things they aren't allowed to do, but its little thngs like the cats not being allowed in the basement if no one is down there [because then they are stuck down there without food, water and a littlerbox] or allowed outside [we have a lot of dogs in the neighborhood, as well as hawks and of course traffic.]  Its for their good, not to be cruel.

And having a 6 and a half foot long constrictor as family teaches alot of respect.  She is active, but she likes to curl around my neck [its warmest there] and so I have to keep an eye on her when she is being held.  She hasn't tried to hurt me, but she has hugged a bit too tight a time or two and I've had to shift her around to breath properly.

I have no problem with rescued 'wild' animals being taken in - if someone is willing to take the risks and not blame the animal if they get hurt, then that's fine.  I take risks of getting clawed every day, and its rarely an attempt on my kitties to hurt me - they get startled and leap away from my lap, or play a little rough.  My mom got bit by our dog when he got bitten in the butt while she was holding him [ to get him out of a fight with said buttbiter] and she never got mad at him - she knew she shouldn't have scooped him up.  And he did a number to her face.  That's how I grew up - as I said, she should have known better on the Dobie, but she was worried about my baby sisters who were pretty small still, but I grew up with animals being a part of the family - even the chickens, turkeys and goats were respected.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1133 on: 2009 May 11, 20:28:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every animal "alters" nature just by being there. Look at what happens to an ecosystem when an outside plant or animal gets put there -- rabbits in Australia, various water-hungry plants
I'd like to point out that what you're describing there are alien species introduced by the idiocy of people. Rabbits were introduced by white people in austrailia because they thought it would make them feel at home to hunt game that they had from home.

Oh there were the height of stupid experiments in Australia.  They introduced cats in order to get the rabbits, and the cats mostly died or went feral eating all the things that didn't have inbuilt fear of fucking cats; and they introduced moths to get rid of the damn prickly pear they introduced too.  If they had genetic engineering in those days they would have invented some super creature designed to eat prickly pears and rabbits, but that they later found had a desire for arable land and humans.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: 2009 May 11, 21:19:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That Simpsons episode with the various animals being introduced to "control" various other animals was sadly not very exaggerated Tongue.

ferncapel
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: 2009 May 11, 22:05:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just a thought...humans are predators too, originally we hunted to survive and killed to protect our own...and also i think theres a part of humanities makeup that just has the urge to kill, the need to assert power and authority over others by whatever means it takes. Its human nature...but of course centuries of evolution have turned us into the domesticated creatures that we are now...soft living has dulled our senses and made us stupid...we used to be alert and respectful of the animal kingdom, and feared it as we should. The remark from Darqstar on waiting to hear a baby being carried of...and their stupid naivetee that these creatures are not real/shouldnt be there/ wont encroach on their property made me think, though Darqstar was refering to a wild creature it reminded me of the stupidity of (some) parents with regards to their children...and that nothing will happen to their kids. I lived in an area where many families let their very young children roam the area and further...these were 2/3 year olds....these kids roamed around unwatched anywhere they liked for hours, no one checked on them...we had a kids coming to play with my children but upon being asked if their parents knew where they were...they said they didnt...i couldve been anyone...these kids went in anyones houses. I had a friend of my daughters come round..., so i asked her if her mum knew where she was, no was the answer...we were going out so i took her home...no one was there...i didnt have it in me to leave this 4 year old wandering around unable to go home...so we had to postpone going out, i put a letter through the parents door, explaining the situation, 2 hours later...no parents...i called again...theyd just got in. Said theyd gone to do some shopping, they hadnt being able to find their daughter before going out and didnt know where she was...so just went out anyway!
Anything couldve happened to her!
The point im trying to make is that...people are also blind to another predator...that is the human predator. If there going to ignore the obvious predators of wild animals, theres little reason to believe that they would acknowledge the less obvious predator that could be living next door....people just think it will never happen to them. If that little girl had gome missing in the worse way possible, the parents wouldve been quick to say that they only let her out of their sight for a minute.
Sadly where i used to live there were too many families allowing their barely out of nappies children to wander off, and worse to allow older children to dress like prostitutes. A 13 year old girl that lived nearby dated men in their 20's. The mother thought it was great that her daughter( her child) could attract a man! He stayed over. They didnt seem to understand that he was a paedophile, no different to the men theyd watch on tv news stories or read about in the paper that theyd be swearing about and saying how they should be strung up, that theyd be repulsed by what theyd done to some child. They couldnt connect they were allowing such to happen to their own child...that it was happening under their noses!
Its the same with these idiots and wild animals, they hear about it, read about it...but dont connect it with the wild animal in their bins or that theyve adopted as a pet!

Sorry to go on... Grin
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: 2009 May 11, 22:46:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That Simpsons episode with the various animals being introduced to "control" various other animals was sadly not very exaggerated Tongue.

I want my koala invasion and I want it now.
http://spacecollective.org/userdata/bD7n8SiD/1201569637/1128184582f2aa.jpg
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: 2009 May 12, 05:22:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dude, I don't mean to be rude or nitpicky ferncapel, but the exaggerated use of ellipses in your post makes it really hard to read. I'm sure you have something good to say, but I just can't read it. If you're ESL, again, I'm sorry.

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: 2009 May 12, 10:25:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't understand people who build homes in the woods, like these new subdivisions, then complain when they see a bear wanders by or see a wild cat in their back yard.
I'm of the view that if you choose to live in the sticks, you should EXPECT to encounter wildlife. Me, I expect that bears and other wildlife will occasionally be seen in my yard, as a direct effect of my choosing to live in the sticks and have a yard that consists of several square miles of space. In fact, I prefer it this way. They are tastier than human neighbors.

I want my koala invasion and I want it now.
Koalas are a poor invasive species because they eat only a single specific food source that isn't native to anywhere else. Maybe if we genetically engineered some deadly killer koalas that were extremely clever, conniving creatures that ate humans...like, say, "Phascolarctus Bityness"...

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: 2009 May 12, 13:41:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dude, I don't mean to be rude or nitpicky ferncapel, but the exaggerated use of ellipses in your post makes it really hard to read. I'm sure you have something good to say, but I just can't read it. If you're ESL, again, I'm sorry.

I do that too sometimes. It is a bad habit I have picked up being ESL, but it is still good to be reminded if something is wrong or annoying.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 127 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: