PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 21:38:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 127 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)  (Read 597933 times)
rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Your Prettiest Freesite Creation Find: Round Two (Apparently)
« Reply #705 on: 2009 March 12, 16:02:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MTS2's downloads won't be available again til the 12th!

Just wanted to let people know, MTS2 now says the estimated fix time is now unknown.

This is the update from Delphy from today:

Okay, so, turns out that when I said I didn't think we'd lost any data, I was incorrect.

The primary drive from chii had a ton of read write errors on it - so much so that currently all downloads past mid-october last year (when the server was first setup - remember, we moved servers back then) are basically toast.

The backup drive has so many read write errors on it that it wont even boot the machine with it plugged in and it just goes to kernel panic mode.

As it stands I have managed to recover most downloads prior to Mid-October last year (some 127gb worth), but anything after attachmentid 826742 is gone. I am not entirely convinced that *all* downloads prior to then are intact and am investigating further to see how many prior to that date are ok.

Suffice to say I am extremely annoyed at the situation and beleive that there may be some other hardware issue on Chii becuase to have 2 drives fail so utterly is extremely rare.

I'm going to see if there is a way of getting the primary drive looked at professionally to see if we can recover any more data, but right now it's not looking hopeful.

That looks bad.

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
Scurvy Cat
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: 2009 March 12, 16:17:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was too sick to be mean.

Some people are like Slinkies.  Not much use but they always bring a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: 2009 March 12, 17:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Embarrassed crap. I was actually wanting to go over to MTS2 to look for some old stuff I lost. Now it looks like it could be in never never land.

Why couldn't it be the tsr to blow up and lose half of it's stuff. I need a good laugh.

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
El Diablo
ARR!

Sticks and stones, mate.

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: 2009 March 12, 17:19:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh my God! You mean they store their backups on the same server? This is a huge blow. I need to go check my closet for something in basic black.
 Cry

The one who angers you, controls you.
ooglafina
ARR!

Never use a kerosene lamp as an ashtray.

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: 2009 March 12, 17:24:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel bad for them. They must be in panic mode themselves. Maybe people can provide missing files later to fill the gaps. If the artist is retired, they might not see the light of day again. I'm thinking the graveyard might get a bunch of new acquisitions soon.
oolongteadrinker
ARR!

yum?

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: 2009 March 12, 21:15:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Embarrassed crap. I was actually wanting to go over to MTS2 to look for some old stuff I lost. Now it looks like it could be in never never land.

Why couldn't it be the tsr to blow up and lose half of it's stuff. I need a good laugh.

I'm ashamed to say that this news has put me in a panic. I thought they were just doing routine maintenance!
crunk
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: 2009 March 12, 22:53:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Its worth noting that you can track progress with things by clicking on the announcement at the top of the page - Delphy has made several updates to the thread since that was posted.
HugeLunatic
ARR!

Questions...Comments...Emotional Outbursts?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: 2009 March 12, 22:57:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also note the two drives reference.  It sounds as if one held the files and the other was backup, and they both failed.  And files after mid October seem to be toast, maybe not the entire drive.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

Holy Simoly Extras
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: 2009 March 12, 23:00:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's got me in a mild panic too.  Shocked

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
ooglafina
ARR!

Never use a kerosene lamp as an ashtray.

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: 2009 March 12, 23:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dude. Their backup is dead. I really feel for them. They must be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I'll have to get my CC backups out when they list the stuff that's missing.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: 2009 March 12, 23:18:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just wondering if there will be a way to list all the stuff lost, if there is a record of that on another server (The pages still seem to be up, just the items themselves seem to be gone)  If that's the case, perhaps they can put out a call to the artists to replace them, and for any members who might have such items, seeing that some artists probably won't be able to be reached. 

If there was a list of missing items, I'm sure whoever could help would.  I know I'd look through my downloads and share what I have.  I'd assume most of us would. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: 2009 March 12, 23:22:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CEP!! Isnt' that the only place it's available?  Shocked I'm very panicked.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: 2009 March 12, 23:36:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't someone day that Numenor had the CEP on his site as well?

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #718 on: 2009 March 12, 23:38:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing that only the actual rars and stuff got lost.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
rum nate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: 2009 March 12, 23:57:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay RAID rebuild failed - the backup drive is completely toast.

I'm going to get the primary drive shipped to me so I can run my own recovery on it. However this will obviously take some days.

So, basically what I'm doing is re-installing the basic stuff on Chii (gcc, libjpeg etc) so I can get PHP compiled. Once that happens I'll run a script that tells me which files are actually missing from the filesystem, and then we can identify the threads.

Once we know which threads are affected, I'll make a custom banner appear at the top of each of them, asking for members or the creator to resubmit the files. This way we can hopefully rebuild anything missing.

I apologise for this and for the delay - it's obvious there was a massive failure of the backup systems here, which only ever comes to light when something actually goes wrong. Going forward I'm going to investigate more stringent and effective backup solutions but for now we'll have to see how bad the damage really is.

That is the latest info. What it looks like is Delphy is going to see what he can save, if anything. What can't be found the creator or if in the case that not possible, people who downloaded the stuff are going to have to resubmit it. This is going to be a mess, and take a long time to fully recover from it.

Quote from: Paden
I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them with a fox, I would not trust them here or there, I would not trust them anywhere. I do not like that mental scar, I would not trust that TSR...
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 127 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: