PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 04:14:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Streetchickers donation files
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Streetchickers donation files  (Read 79248 times)
CJane
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Streetchickers donation files
« Reply #135 on: 2008 December 16, 22:58:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meanie, I do entirely low carb. I have eaten this way for a couple of years now, and I've lost weight (a bunch) and I am not sick as often, nor as severely as I used to get when I ate a high carb diet. The "real" non-lowfat, non-fried foods that I eat are so satisfying. I'll never go back to the way of eating I did before.

I totally shun grains of any kind, and eat only low GI fruits and lower carb veggies, along with meats. Real butter is unbeatable, and I have it daily. Oh, also dark chocolate, my personal favorite...I indulge in that quite often. I'm in fabulous health according to my doctor, though no one wants to hear why...the going wisdom still seems to lean more toward those who believe that healthy means the opposite of the way I eat.

I'm definitely a meatitarian...it's a personal choice.  Wink

I like beer, though I have wine (usually a favorite brand of Merlot) more often than not.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2008 December 16, 23:08:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that in winter, my cravings for carbs and fatty foods go up, but I attribute that to my build: think short polar bear with plenty of pudge to keep warm. Cheesy I'm also a total fan of meats, poultry and fish. Right now, though, what I want is a salad with lots of baby spinach leaves with creamy French dressing made by Newman's Own, that stuff is to kill for.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2008 December 16, 23:11:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't eaten fast food in over 10 years. The only fatty food I buy now is Pizza from a gourmet place two suburbs over. Had an awesome one last night with artichokes, onion, chilli, grilled eggplant and fetta cheese. Sure it's not calorie conscious, but it's good fresh food. So I don't feel guilty about it. Yeah I smoke, and I know how gross it is to people who don't smoke. But it's something, I really enjoy for now. They will lose their novelty soon (again) and I will quit for good. I usually come back to them, but I am approaching my third decade and don't want to do irreversible damage to my system. So they have to go, I don't know how I feel about that. *lights cigarette*

So no Macdonalds, no Kentucky, no Red Rooster, no Pizza Hut or Dolminos. I hate those franchises with a passion, just looking at the food makes me queasy. I'm going to gross everyone out for a minute here and say that fast food  reminds me of poop. I look at a cheeseburger and think... "That brown greasy thing, is going to look the exact texture and colour coming out. Gross!" and have no problem going to a cafe and ordering a fresh salad pumkin bread roll instead. I am obsessed with pumpkin bread atm, it's so delicious. It tastes like pumpkin scone, but with a shiner buttery texture. It's super awesome Cheesy I am going to learn how to make it Smiley I think since it's summer I am preferring vegetarian like meals, not so heavy on the system. Smiley

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
CJane
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2008 December 16, 23:17:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that in winter, my cravings for carbs and fatty foods go up, but I attribute that to my build: think short polar bear with plenty of pudge to keep warm. Cheesy I'm also a total fan of meats, poultry and fish. Right now, though, what I want is a salad with lots of baby spinach leaves with creamy French dressing made by Newman's Own, that stuff is to kill for.

I'm 5'2". I still have some pudge, but that gets less as time wears on.

I used to crave the same things in the winter, absolutely. When one does the low carb deal, after about a month (on average) ones cravings change. It's what Meanie was talking about - when you eat carbs you tend to crave even more carbs. It's the carbs+fat combo that makes most people hold on to excess weight (and winter months are worst for that). Even with the weight I've lost I'm totally warmer now than I used to be in the winter(and I hate being cold, I hate winter, BLAH!). My metabolism has changed.

That salad sounds freaking awesome...though I'd probably have mine with Newman's Own ranch or bleu cheese! Must go raid fridge now for some baby spinach...I know I have some!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: 2008 December 17, 02:31:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I learned how to make pies last night - and discussed with our teacher if she thought stevia and agave syrup would be good substitutes - she thinks they will, but isn't sure.

For pumpkin its not such a huge deal - it deson't take alot of sugar to begin with, and just needs a bit of sweet.  Pecan pie though....its basically sugar, corn syrup and some pecans....so

Thing is, the other diabetic in the house currently refuses to try it and keeps saying that narrow slivers is all he'll eat.  I might pick up a second pie pan and make me one as an experiment, though I'm more partial to pumpkin and its overall better.

Could offer to make a sweet potato one - that doesn't even need sugar.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2008 December 17, 03:03:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to have baby spinach in the crisper until the husband let the cat know I had it. Then she played all cute and loving with him and he rewarded her with my spinach. The cat is totally obsessed with it, even preferring it over catnip. Damn brat... Cheesy

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Kragey
ARR!

I can haz CC?

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2008 December 17, 03:29:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to have baby spinach in the crisper until the husband let the cat know I had it. Then she played all cute and loving with him and he rewarded her with my spinach. The cat is totally obsessed with it, even preferring it over catnip. Damn brat... Cheesy

Your cat eats spinach?! Wow, there's one I haven't heard before. Although my cat has a strange affection for rice; any time I have cooked rice, she works tirelessly to get her nose in to the bowl, then whines when I push her away.

SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2008 December 17, 03:39:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Paden, I really like Newman's lite Balsamic Vinaigrette. I haven't had French dressing in a while but I'll probably be cycling back into it sooner or later. Good to know Newman makes one.

Just discovered pineapple pie through a client who gave me one as gift. Same as any cream pie, I suppose (I'm not exactly down with the whole baking thing): Canned pineapple, a little flour or cornstarch, mix it up, stew it a little while, pour it in a ready made Graham cracker pie crust, smother it with whipped cream (low fat in my case) and refrigerate until it sets. Then smash up even more Graham crackers and sprinkle them all over the top. I thought it was going to be sharp with an acidic taste but it's not - it's surprisingly good (even the one I made). Neither version comes even close to being as good as my mom's pineapple upside down cake, but since she only drops off one of one of those about once a year (if I'm lucky), these might satisfy the craving I have for it every now and then. But probably not.
CJane
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2008 December 17, 04:24:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I learned how to make pies last night - and discussed with our teacher if she thought stevia and agave syrup would be good substitutes - she thinks they will, but isn't sure.

For pumpkin its not such a huge deal - it doesn't take a lot of sugar to begin with, and just needs a bit of sweet.  Pecan pie though....its basically sugar, corn syrup and some pecans....so

Thing is, the other diabetic in the house currently refuses to try it and keeps saying that narrow slivers is all he'll eat.  I might pick up a second pie pan and make me one as an experiment, though I'm more partial to pumpkin and its overall better.

Could offer to make a sweet potato one - that doesn't even need sugar.

Stevia...just use it sparingly. It starts to taste funny/bitter in short order if you use even slightly too much. I still haven't perfected its use, though I'd like to as it's a natural sweetener. I tend to use Splenda for baking. It works well. I have a recipe for sugar free pumpkin pie with a pecan praline crust. PM me if you'd like the recipe. It's been a hit in my household even with those who don't watch their sugar consumption.

As far as diabetic-friendly pecan pie, this recipe is pretty good: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-specialty15.html
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2008 December 17, 06:45:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Diabetes runs in my family (later onset), but I can't have very many sugar free items because the sweetener they use in commercial products is usually aspartame and I'm a phenylketonuric. It's kind of a pain in the ass. I have to restrict my diet pretty hard.

I can't eat a lot of meat. I have to moderate my grains. I basically live off of fruit and veggies. I drink soy milk, eat tofu. I might as well be an involuntary vegan, but I just love me a hamburger every once in a while.

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2008 December 17, 08:14:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could just give up food entirely and starve to death. It'd save you a lot of bother in the long run.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2008 December 17, 08:24:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose, but somehow being dead just doesn't seem as fun.

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: 2008 December 17, 15:28:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, finally in the states we're supposed to be seeing more switchover to stevia.

I can't use aspertame since it gives me headaches and makes me dumb, and splenda and nutrasweet both slow down your metabolism and are actually -bad- for diabetics and anyone trying to lose weight.

I did bookmark that recipe.  I got a recipe for normal pumpkin pie from my class, as well as for pecan.  Having had a pie using this same recipe with no sugar at all, I expect a pack or maybe two for the whole pie, with maybe a bit extra cinnamon to add a bit more sweet should do it.

As for pecan, she thinks that it should work with agave syrup, which is another natural sweetner.

And the pie crust is a bit like sugar free shortbread.  Granted, flour isn't so good for diabetics either, but I bet I could find a whole grain all-purpose flour to substitute, and its not like there is much per piece.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
CJane
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2008 December 17, 16:28:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, finally in the states we're supposed to be seeing more switchover to stevia.

I can't use aspertame since it gives me headaches and makes me dumb, and splenda and nutrasweet both slow down your metabolism and are actually -bad- for diabetics and anyone trying to lose weight.

I did bookmark that recipe.  I got a recipe for normal pumpkin pie from my class, as well as for pecan.  Having had a pie using this same recipe with no sugar at all, I expect a pack or maybe two for the whole pie, with maybe a bit extra cinnamon to add a bit more sweet should do it.

As for pecan, she thinks that it should work with agave syrup, which is another natural sweetner.

And the pie crust is a bit like sugar free shortbread.  Granted, flour isn't so good for diabetics either, but I bet I could find a whole grain all-purpose flour to substitute, and its not like there is much per piece.

The FDA is stubborn in approving Stevia as a sweetener. I wish they'd hurry up!

As for artificial sweeteners slowing metabolism, or being bad for diabetics...it's such an individual thing. It doesn't effect me, but my mother (who is diabetic) is effected. I am not diabetic, I am hypoglycemic, but it doesn't seem to stop me or slow me down metabolism wise, nor blood sugar wise.

I wish you the best on the pie. Yes, try the whole grain flour, or perhaps even almond flour?
Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: 2008 December 17, 16:33:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All these artificial sweetners and plants that you guys get in America we can't get over her.  Why, the Australian Pharmaceutical Association has deemed them dangerous for some reason or another.  Same for a great many herbal remedies.  Insane.  And getting them sent to Australia can be extremely difficult, as a consequence of strict quarrantine laws.  One of the products in my husbands network marketing business we have difficulty getting because it contains barley seeds.  Seeds cannot be imported to Australia, as are the majority of plant or animal products.

We can get stevia, but I haven't seen agave syrup in the shops for a while (which is crazy because the authorities permit mezcal with the worm in the bottle.)

I've got PCOS, which is a pre-diabetic state, which means if I'm not careful, it could swing the other way and bring on full blown diabetes.  Its a hormone-insulin thing, but doctors don't know what causes it.  Stevia seems to make me hyper like I've had too much sugar, for some reason.  Meaning possibly that its spiking my insulin levels.  Aspartme and the likes don't really affect me weightwise or anything like that, but I still avoid them as they've been found to be toxic, making them worse than cane sugar.  Aspartme actually breaks down into formaldehyde in the body, which is incredibly dangerous.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 17, 16:50:30 by Meanie » Logged

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: