PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 12:14:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Streetchickers donation files
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Streetchickers donation files  (Read 79092 times)
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
Re: Streetchickers donation files
« Reply #240 on: 2008 December 19, 17:57:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My dad never explicitly said it was a pet or for eating, so when it was slaughtered and time to cook, this "pet" development was new.  They did keep chickens and stuff too - so it wasn't a new thing that stuff in the backyard would die.
Do you mean that the pet development was new to you or your father?  
Isn't it bizarre the stuff you discuss? Cheesy I'm sure I've said the same thing to my husband. 
The best parts about being married to my husband is that 1: I can discuss this sort of thing with him and 2: He just goes with it.   I was married before (very young, very stupid, I have socks that have lasted longer than that marriage) if I ever tried telling him something like that, he would have either told me I was crazy, used it as an excuse to whack me or my cat, or gone into a long rambling lecture about how eating human flesh would be dangerous for him and somehow twist it so that what I was really trying to do was to make sure that if I died, he would die too.  

On a similar, but weird note, I told my husband that if we were ever in a plane accident where I died and he lived, that if there was no food source, I fully expected him to eat my body to survive and that if he didn't, I'd haunt his ass forever going, "What are you, stupid?  180lbs of fat and protein right near by and you starved to death?"

I thought the exact same thing after watching a movie. Don't remember the plot much, only that they were in a crashed plane somewhere, stuck in the ice,and they all started to eat the dead passengers ...

Was it perhaps the Urugauyan Air Force Flight 571?  

In the other hand, i wonder : If the roles were reversed and you end up being rescued, what will you say to  his family? Sorry, we can't burry your son because i ate him? Scary!! Cheesy

Yeah, that would be pretty awkward.  But, I would assume you could bring back bones.  Although if someone told me that they had to eat one of my family members, I would look at it the same way as I look at myself.  Once you're dead, you're meat, so who cares.  If your body can be used to help someone living, then go for it.  In an extreme circumstance, such as that of the survivors of Flight 571, I would look at eating my already dead body as the same type of thing as organ donation.  I'm not using my body anymore, it might as well be useful to someone else.  

Edit: Borked link

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: 2008 December 19, 18:24:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awww, possums are cute, if a bit odd looking.  But, I'd likely try it once.  Love gator, frog legs are nummy, snails are like chewy mushrooms, and lamb is to die for, even while I'd be torn on killing it or letting it grow up to give me wool to spin one day.

As for racoons being more rabid than more animals, that's a fallacy.  According to vetrinarians, no mammal is more prone to rabies than another, including humans.  In fact, there are some that are immune, but can spread the disease, but otherwise its the same likelihood that your neighbor has it than that little fox that lives in that brush in the corner of your yard, or that bear that some developer built -your- house in the yard of.

I've done a lot of research on this, talking to vets and biologists, because I want a pet fox, preferably rescued from one of the fox ranches [BTW, ranched fox is crueler than trapped - they are raised in conditions comparable to puppy mills, then electrocuted to not harm the pelt - trapped foxes at least get to live like a fox first.]

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 2008 December 19, 18:37:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My grandpa tried to feed me my pet rabbit once. 'Nuff said.

Rabbit actually tastes pretty damn good. My family had pet rabbits that got out of control and ended up being many, many pet rabbits. And then we had a bad winter and our rabbits eventually went back to being two, except this time they were two girls. We had one we name Bugs Bunny, and we ate him for Easter dinner. Very good meal. Rabbit soup is also good, it does a better job of disguising the meat, which does indeed taste like chicken, by the way. They breed like... well, rabbits, and they don't seem to have any more intelligence than a cow, so I have a hard time finding anything wrong with eating them. Moose and deer, on the other hand, I am opposed to eating.

The best parts about being married to my husband is that 1: I can discuss this sort of thing with him and 2: He just goes with it.   I was married before (very young, very stupid, I have socks that have lasted longer than that marriage) if I ever tried telling him something like that, he would have either told me I was crazy, used it as an excuse to whack me or my cat, or gone into a long rambling lecture about how eating human flesh would be dangerous for him and somehow twist it so that what I was really trying to do was to make sure that if I died, he would die too.  

Shocked This sounds just like my first marriage! No way! Did you get married at 17? To a wannabe gangsta? Did you scream at each other on your wedding night, too?

I've done a lot of research on this, talking to vets and biologists, because I want a pet fox, preferably rescued from one of the fox ranches [BTW, ranched fox is crueler than trapped - they are raised in conditions comparable to puppy mills, then electrocuted to not harm the pelt - trapped foxes at least get to live like a fox first.]

That sounds awful. It's reasons like those that I abhor fur. And taxidermy, too, but that's another discussion. Hell, every time someone drags me into a fur shop, or even a freaking gift shop, I see a pelt that looks exactly like one pet wolf or another that I've had. I know that the fur on the rack is already dead and there's nothing I can do for it, but if I buy something, they're going to have to restock it. It really drives me insane. You should get a fox, Soggy. I've always liked the idea of adopting a fox, myself, but foxes are much more solitary than wolves and dogs, and may not appreciate becoming part of a 'pack'. Frankly, that's not my ideal kind of pet.

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: 2008 December 19, 18:47:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't object to all fur - after all, if its rabbit or the like, the animal will get killed for food too, and that way the fur's not wasted - same as with leather.  I eat meat, so might as well not waste.  But yeah, fur animals like foxs and the like have a rough life.  And the real killer, a few years ago it was coming out that a lot of 'fake fur' was actually cat and dog fur, from strays.

In Georgia, you can't have a fox as a pet, even though they are domesticated, some breeds -as- pets, like Fennecs.  You however can hunt as many as you want, and you can have them commercially, as fur-foxs.  They're considered a pest animal.

www.thestormradio.com
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: 2008 December 19, 18:48:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My dad never explicitly said it was a pet or for eating, so when it was slaughtered and time to cook, this "pet" development was new.  They did keep chickens and stuff too - so it wasn't a new thing that stuff in the backyard would die.
Do you mean that the pet development was new to you or your father?  

Definately my Dad - I wasn't born yet. Cheesy They got soft with me and were nice because I was a baby of old age. I was served no pets.  Tongue

Isn't it bizarre the stuff you discuss? Cheesy I'm sure I've said the same thing to my husband. 

I'm very glad I didn't marry someone like that - I lucked into it - and he's wonderful.  I have various women I'm leaving him to when I die. Cheesy  

I love discussing stuff with him - we've discussed numerous times what to do after I die, what happens if there's a nuclear war and I'm at work, whether he should in fact, abandon me if zombies attack (he should), what we should do if we wake up and we're the only people left in the world, lots of other crazy shit.  I adore having someone, like you say "just goes with it". Cheesy And of course, many, many debates.  Just yesterday we had a debate about the nature of an atheist sign put up in the ?Chamber of Commerce? in NY a year ago, and whether that was respectful, or evangelical atheism (It was respectful, dammit). The stuff I do here saves Coolington a great deal of grief. Cheesy

That sounds awful. It's reasons like those that I abhor fur. And taxidermy, too, but that's another discussion.

Taxidermy creeps me out. I can understand museums doing it, but the average person having their dead dog indecorously scraped out and put on the couch filled with stuffing is just gross.  I don't get wearing fur. I don't want to wear anything that requires hassle, and wool supports farmers, so I'll take that.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 2008 December 19, 18:53:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'd never think of cows as anything other than a source of beef or dairy after being stepped on by one of the fuckers. They are ill-tempered beasts, too.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: 2008 December 19, 19:19:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I lived with a lady who had two cows in her pasture - one was her dad's and the other was a longhorn she'd gotten to raise for the meat - best way to make sure its organic and not got hormones in it.

One day she was feeding them when her dad's cow got her with one of her honrs - fortunately, that heifer wasn't a longhorn, but one of the breeds with the tiny curled in horns.  But the bruise was horrid.  Of course, maybe that cow was on to something, since the lady turned out to be something of a psycho and kicked us all out with no warning and called the cops to back her up.

www.thestormradio.com
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 2008 December 19, 19:30:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My bunny was a pet. The same thing happened as did to dusdeedawn. My brother thought the boy and girl wanted to play together so let them loose in our garage. And then, there were many. My mom gave grandpa permission to slaughter the offspring for food, since he liked rabbit so much, but he desperately wanted MY pet in particular, who was a massive New Zealand Red. I don't think I would have cared had it not been the one I raised and treated like my baby, haha.

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
CJane
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 2008 December 19, 19:57:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've eaten rabbit before. Yes, some of them were pets...not my pets, but pets none the less. My mom raised rabbits for a time. Love the taste, not so fond of them when they are alive, at least not as a pet for myself.

Love frog legs, too. Deer is good if prepared properly. Lamb is awesome. Veal is okay (yeah, baby cow).

I wear fur. I do not believe in being cruel to animals, but I don't have a problem using their skins for warmth. I'll wear leather, of course, too. What's a pirate without a little leather? I mean for real?

Cows are mean. Ever been kicked by one? I wouldn't care if they weren't mean, I'd still eat 'em. In my view they are livestock, and a food source.

I couldn't knowingly eat a dog or cat. I'm sure that's a cultural thing, because where I am from those aren't normal things to eat, they are pets and pets only. Other cultures aren't so squeamish about that. My ex-husband is Filipino. His uncle cooked his pet dog for dinner one night. He talks about it as if it was normal. It was for him. I guess he's not scarred from that (scarred from other things perhaps, but not that).

So, bottom line, I won't eat my own pets, I abhor cruelty to any animal, but I will use every available resource for comfort (not necessarily style and fashion), even animal skins.

Not sure I could eat a dead human in a desperate situation. I wouldn't want to, but if it was the only way to survive? I pick survival, but I'd hope that my God would provide another option before it came down to that.  Shocked
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 2008 December 19, 20:14:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We had so much rabbit on the table when I was a kid that I cannot stand it to this day. Deer is food, same as beef, pork and chicken. I've had snails and enjoyed them, as well as buffalo and a few other things. Any animal used as food should not go to waste, which means I wear leather and fur. I don't, however, see the sense of using carnivores for fur. From what has been said, the meat is awful. Their fur looks better on them than on me. I would not eat any kind of equine, be it horse or zebra or donkey. I've heard it's greasy. Scuze my rapid fire thoughts, someone fed me coffee today... Wheeeeeeeeee!

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: 2008 December 19, 20:27:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure I could eat a dead human in a desperate situation. I wouldn't want to, but if it was the only way to survive? I pick survival, but I'd hope that my God would provide another option before it came down to that.  Shocked

Besides, you never know where its -been-

www.thestormradio.com
CJane
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2008 December 19, 20:29:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can understand not wanting to use carnivores for fur. I like fox fur though (sorry SoggyFox, having a pet fox would be cool, too), and it looks good on me as well as the fox.  Tongue

Nope, I won't eat equine, either. I grew up around horses and I associate them with being nearly human (my horse was damn smart). Couldn't do it. My mother has eaten horse unknowingly. She wasn't too happy about it after finding out, but it didn't kill her. She said she would never do it knowingly. I hate it when people ambush others with surprise "foods." "Guess what you just ate? It was Fluffy!! Wasn't fluffy delish?" No, that sucks. I wanna know it's Fluffy and I'll let you know if I want to chow down on Fluffy, thx.

I needs me some coffee. Sounds good, making a pot now. Maybe it'll wake me up today.

Besides, you never know where its -been-

True, that!  Grin LOL
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2008 December 19, 21:25:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can understand not wanting to use carnivores for fur. I like fox fur though (sorry SoggyFox, having a pet fox would be cool, too), and it looks good on me as well as the fox.  Tongue

Except you don't need it to live. The fox does.

I think wearing fur because it's supposedly pretty and stylish is pretty despicable, frankly.

CJane
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2008 December 19, 22:18:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except you don't need it to live. The fox does.

I think wearing fur because it's supposedly pretty and stylish is pretty despicable, frankly.

Someone had stated earlier that the fur looked better on the fox. I was commenting to that, that I thought it looked good on me, too. I also stated earlier that I wore fur not for fashions sake, but to keep warm. I don't even have a fox fur coat, but I'd wear one. Maybe I would need it to live, and not freeze to death in this god forsaken tundra in the winter. Who's to say?

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Making value judgments about whether one is despicable because one chooses to wear fur is interesting.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2008 December 19, 23:04:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shocked This sounds just like my first marriage! No way! Did you get married at 17? To a wannabe gangsta? Did you scream at each other on your wedding night, too?

Well, I was 19, and there were no "gangstas" then.  Even if there had been, "Dick" wouldn't have been one.  "Dick" thought he was better than everyone else in the whole wide world.  He was one of those delightful people who needs to feel as if he's above anyone else and the only way he felt above anyone else was to be stepping on someone.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I'm sure you've done a lot of research, but I always wonder when folks start talking about the cruel conditions of animals raised for fur.  I raised rabbits when I was a kid (for pet and show purposes only) and the coat was always the first thing to be affected by anything "bad" in the living conditions. If the farmer's market had cut rate food they sold us and didn't tell us it was cut rate, I could tell by the end of the bag, because the coat would lose some of its luster.  If any of the rabbits were sick, even if they were hopping about, acting like nothing was wrong, the first indication would be that the coat would start looking poor.

I've noticed the same thing on my cats as well.  If anything is wrong with them, or if I'm not feeding them a nutritional, balanced, diet, I can tell by the fur.  If situations are going on that stress the household, the fur always suffers.  No, I'm not saying my cats go bald if our toast is cold, but if Husband and I are having issues with work or our health and the stress level gets high, the cats coat begins to feel less soft, less luxurious. 

I also knew someone who raised mink for fur and funny, Peta never shows pictures of his place when they talk about evil fur people.  His mink are kept in a heated barn.  Each mink has X number of feet of space.  Each mink gets a special diet designed for maximum health and that diet is altered to fit individual needs, if needed.  The creatures are even caged in a special way so that males aren't too close, so on and so forth. There are toys and other distractions to deal with boredom.  And yes, there is something to be said for, "No matter how nice it is, it's still not freedom" but they live in better conditions than many people live in, and they're also several generations of "bred for fur" so I don't know how they would do in the wild. 

This guy is not all loveydovey over his mink.  They are a business.  He doesn't lavish this care because he's such a humanitarian, he did it because he wanted the most money for the skins.  Skins are carefully graded, the higher the better.  He was very honest about it, if he tried to cut corners on care or space for his mink, the quality of the skins would go down and he'd end up making less on each skin. 

It always makes me wonder though, how this stuff with "Animals nailed to cage floors," or "Animals thrown, dozens to a cage, forced to live on a scrap of food once a month," ever could fly in the fur trade.  Any animals produced under horrible conditions is going to have a horrible coat and that's what the money is all about, the coat.  Even if you try to skimp on the cleaning, the coat will be the first thing affected.  Mange and parasites just live for dirty conditions.

Animals used for medical experiments I can see being more likely to be horribly abused. Most of the time the very experiment is horribly abusive, and research scientists aren't planning on selling the animals for fur.  But the fur industry always get yelled at about cruelty. "Traps are cruel" so people started to raise animals, then the activists started screaming that everyone who raised these animals was cruel.

You can't fake it with fur.  Fur is the yardstick for judging an animals health and no one wants a coat made from a skinny, undernourished animal skin.  It would look and feel horrible.

This is not to say I promote the practice of wearing fur.  I really have no opinion on the issue, except that as someone who is allergic to many types of dander, I enjoy that fur has lost its popularity.  Also, we can make such wonderful synthetics now, I don't really see the need for real fur. But I wear leather, I eat meat, if I said fur was murder, then I'd be a hypocrite.

I'm very glad I didn't marry someone like that - I lucked into it - and he's wonderful.  I have various women I'm leaving him to when I die. Cheesy

I have more than a few women offering to take my husband off my hands if I should die.   Cheesy  And, yeah, being married to "Dick" wasn't fun, but I still owe him a debt of gratitude.  Growing up, he and current husband were best of friends.  Current husband moved away in high school, but came to visit when I was married to "Dick."   Current husband and I hit it off like gangbusters, became the best of friends, and eventually, got together in that whole "Relationship" thing after "Dick" and I decided our marriage was better off disolved.  I don't live in the same state as Dick does, so I haven't seen him in probably 20 years, but if I do, I'll probably shake his hand and thank him for introducing me to current husband. 

Current husband did send him a thank you card after our wedding.  Inside he put our wedding announcement and a note that said, "Thanks for being such a prick!" 

I love discussing stuff with him - we've discussed numerous times what to do after I die, what happens if there's a nuclear war and I'm at work, whether he should in fact, abandon me if zombies attack (he should), what we should do if we wake up and we're the only people left in the world, lots of other crazy shit.  I adore having someone, like you say "just goes with it". Cheesy And of course, many, many debates.  Just yesterday we had a debate about the nature of an atheist sign put up in the ?Chamber of Commerce? in NY a year ago, and whether that was respectful, or evangelical atheism (It was respectful, dammit). The stuff I do here saves Coolington a great deal of grief. Cheesy

While we've discussed many of the same things, we rarely debate because we agree on so many things.  Except for how often the snow should be shoveled.   I believe that you should go out several times when it's snowing and clean up what you can, so you don't have huge, back breaking amounts of snow to clean up.  He believes you should let it finish falling, then shovel enough to get the car out, let the sun work on it for a couple of days, then maybe shovel up some.  And this might sound like something we would have disagreements over, not debates, but nope, we debate it, each of us arguing passionately for our side. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: