PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 16, 10:50:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 905236 times)
giggy
ARR!

Stompable giggy is stompable - ISTJ

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #3285 on: 2008 December 05, 00:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

they're probably borken because he would've fucked them up somehow

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
I don't really understand this concept at all.
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3286 on: 2008 December 05, 00:16:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think most of us are wondering that, Paleo. When the site comes back up, DrBorken says it'll be easy to find out if Walt has a new server or not.

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
drborken
Landlubber

InFlamesWeTrust

View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: 2008 December 05, 00:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

do we know for sure that its him doing it?

i mean from my searches, i can see that the insim domain is registered to walt's company, dirtcheapadvertising LLC.

now i also found that dirtcheapadvertising own 12 domains in total, so im guessing its a reasonable business

so whats to say its walt himself changing things and not one of his business people who does this kind of thing every day?

i r win LOLZ
ValancySterling
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3288 on: 2008 December 05, 00:18:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

man that was a complex search
however, i found this from a scan i just did:

New: insimenator.net detected in zonefile.
Deleted: insimenator.net deleted from zonefile.
Transfer: insimenator.net transferred from one hoster's DNS to another's DNS.
Added: A secondary DNS is added to insimenator.net's DNSes.
Removed: A secondary DNS is removed from insimenator.net's DNSes.
Changed: The DNS for insimenator.net changed in this period.
Epoch: Initial zonefile used in building domain history for that TLD.

so that pretty much confirms it as far as i can see. its moved somewhere. but the changes arent propagated enough to find out where yet.

Nice to have confirmation.  So, Walt did change hosts.  I wonder if he has his bright and shiny new server?

Still, what good is a new server going to do him.  Best case, he had insim backed up and put it up on his new server where it will sit as an empty husk until Sims 3 when he can make an attempt to attract new users.  Most likely scenario is that he can move the borked, bombed out shell of insim to it, where it will rot until he finally admits his mistake and and stops sinking money into it.

Shameless plug warning:  Please go read my ongoing novel, Dusk Of Innocence here.  I promise, it doesn't suck too bad!
count four
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: 2008 December 05, 00:19:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i mean from my searches, i can see that the insim domain is registered to walt's company, dirtcheapadvertising LLC.

now i also found that dirtcheapadvertising own 12 domains in total, so im guessing its a reasonable business

so whats to say its walt himself changing things and not one of his business people who does this kind of thing every day?

Walt's primary investor in his business ventures is his mother.  I doubt Walt has "business people".
giggy
ARR!

Stompable giggy is stompable - ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: 2008 December 05, 00:19:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nah it's not him, might be server people.

I'm saying that because he may get them in 24 hours a day incase he breaks it.
That or cry to his Mum

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
I don't really understand this concept at all.
drborken
Landlubber

InFlamesWeTrust

View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: 2008 December 05, 00:21:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think most of us are wondering that, Paleo. When the site comes back up, DrBorken says it'll be easy to find out if Walt has a new server or not.

yeah as soon as i can ill find out everything i can, like all recent changes etc. it shouldnt be too long. dns changes usually take up to 48 hours to fully propagate the internet, but with a bit of luck i will be able to find out far sooner than that...

also, ValencySterling, i do not beleive that walt has taken a copy of the spammed/angry/whatever you want to describe it insim.
it would make more sense if he took a clone of it from around the 18th of november (the date the domain etc was transferred to him) because then it would be in decent condition and he could just reupload as if there was a database error or something, like a standard backup.

i r win LOLZ
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: 2008 December 05, 00:27:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In other news, I haven't been able to log onto the ftp part of my site for months.  I was in denial and convinced myself it was something on my end so I kept trying.  Today I finally messaged the domain owner and she told me she sold the domain, including my site!   Shocked  So yeah, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you Insim refugees.  I messaged her back asking for the new domain owner's contact info so hopefully I will get granted access to grab all my stuff and then delete it.  Most of it I do not have backups for.  Sad
What the hell? Is that even legal? How can that happen?

Inactive
astroth
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: 2008 December 05, 00:28:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well we're assuming its Walt the nitwit doing it, because he is the only person who stated anything from his company.  That said he could have a small group of halfwit tech's doing the tech things but given what it seems he did in regards to poor old InSim he doesn't nor does the tech's he employ's have a clue.

Also as far as the domain goes changing the hosting company would seem to make sense since at one point I got a placeholder page with a bunch of links and a search box all of which had nothing to do with The Sims 2.

Also assuming this walt guy has some logic a backup made before the shit hit the fan and even before he said he was the newer which I guess would about the same time would make sense again assuming there is logic behind any of this though from the posts he made he doesn't appear to have much of a clue.  Also seems to lack business sense

I hope the new server has the same issues as the old
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3294 on: 2008 December 05, 00:29:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Still, what good is a new server going to do him. 

None.  That is why I think it is funny.  Especially after Delphy patiently explained how to run a site on multiple, but less powerful and cheaper servers. 

it would make more sense if he took a clone of it from around the 18th of november (the date the domain etc was transferred to him) because then it would be in decent condition and he could just reupload as if there was a database error or something, like a standard backup.

If so, and he reups all the deleted files, does that mean more pillaging and burning?  That was fun.  It makes me almost sad that I never uploaded anything to Insim, because I didn't have the pleasure of deleting it now.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: 2008 December 05, 00:33:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Godaddy is very good at taking domain names from people's hands when they fuck around.

Inactive
drborken
Landlubber

InFlamesWeTrust

View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: 2008 December 05, 00:34:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If so, and he reups all the deleted files, does that mean more pillaging and burning?  That was fun.  It makes me almost sad that I never uploaded anything to Insim, because I didn't have the pleasure of deleting it now.

lol this is where one of my plans could come in. if he reups files that have been deleted by the author, it is illegal, as he is using someone elses intellectual property without permission, which breaks copyright. it would be fairly easy to get proof that he did this, so once we had proof, it and once we know where insim is hosted again, we can just contact the host with the proof and they will see to it that the site is taken down, leaving you guys to build a new insim community as and where you see fit Smiley

i r win LOLZ
NoOrdinaryRabbit
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: 2008 December 05, 00:36:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a screencap of Walt's "Get over it" post for FW, if anyone wants to add it.

http://i36.tinypic.com/10elh7r.jpg
Marhis
ARR!

This Space For Rent

View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: 2008 December 05, 00:40:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Still, what good is a new server going to do him. 

None.  That is why I think it is funny.  Especially after Delphy patiently explained how to run a site on multiple, but less powerful and cheaper servers. 
I guess Walt was more like "ZOMG a competitor! This dude wants to steal MY MONEIZ!!! My Professional Server Squad does the stuff only if I throw MONIEZ, therefore they have to be better than this Delphy dude! He gives informations for free OH NOEZ they must be false!!!111" Of course, he didn't listen.

And if he has the smartest idea to deny the creators to pull their stuff away, when those copies of CC will become stale while creators are busy updating and creating more elsewhere, heh...

THE FUTURE OF THIS SIGNATURE IS BRIGHT
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: 2008 December 05, 00:41:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol this is where one of my plans could come in. if he reups files that have been deleted by the author, it is illegal, as he is using someone elses intellectual property without permission, which breaks copyright. it would be fairly easy to get proof that he did this, so once we had proof, it and once we know where insim is hosted again, we can just contact the host with the proof and they will see to it that the site is taken down, leaving you guys to build a new insim community as and where you see fit Smiley
The copyright argument is meaningless. What works for PMBD would similarly work for Walt.

Of course, there's always pillaging and burning. There's no reason to believe Walt will not continue to compromise the server.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: