PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:12:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 10 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 894428 times)
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #2220 on: 2008 December 03, 00:35:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Skye,

I reckon it's HANDS OFF, because of what deathtowalt said, there is proof (I am guessing here, deathtowalt seemed pretty factual on this) that Eric was proposing to stick around and update InSIM for a year. Obviously he has no obligation to keep going after that.

However, having said that there is conflicting issues. Skadi: Are you saying that it's been updated for Apartment Life and that Eric has nothing to do with that update? Maybe I am reading it wrong, but some clarifications on what Eric's involment with InSIM since the latest EP would be handy.

If InSIM will be left in a corner of the sinking InSIMWALT ship, it will be Eric's prerogative to do what he wants to do with it. By this stage, with little information to go by, and only his past actions to judge him by, he will let it rot.
So don't bother trying to save it, unless you want to clone it and give it to a team interested enough to keep modding it. Eric has no copyright to it, since it's all EA code.

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Sigmund
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: 2008 December 03, 00:36:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One more question.

If Eric and Kathy no longer want to be a part of the community, why would they care what happens to the insimenator hack?  Unless it's for the glory, it would make no difference to whomever if another person were to do the same darn thing, and make some new actions to go with it. 

That's true. However (and I haven't settled on either side of this debate yet, I'm just pointing out a potential issue I can see being brought up), I think one major concern is being careful not to cross that line into TSR territory. (Refusing to let go of other people's creations, that kind of thing.) After all, this is paysites must be destroyed, and it was never actually hosted on a paysite, so now it kind of falls into a gray area. Honestly,  I can see both sides of the argument.

I sing along with elevator music.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: 2008 December 03, 00:37:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thing is, we don't want it cause of the way we got treated. Why let their little glory live on? If other people want it, fine and good, we don't.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: 2008 December 03, 00:37:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've thought from Day 1 that the sooner the insimenator passed into history the better. It'll always be around somewhere in some form or another and that's cool. If people still want it, it'll be findable. However I think once they get used to a new shiny, it'll be forgotten about.

Why not start now.

HERE and HERE

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Lorelei
ARR!

I'm in UR booty, downloading UR payfiles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2224 on: 2008 December 03, 00:38:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I vote for Option #3.

Also, if I were Walt, I'd consider suing Kathy and Eric for misrepresenting the value of the site to me.

I liked the InSIM tool, but I doubt it is that difficult to reverse-engineer and duplicate, should the need arise.

As for the InSIM site itself, let it die. The creators will have their new home(s) soon enough.

Decentralization is usually a good plan, anyway. Anonymous sites that actively discuss protesting Scientology are regularly attacked, and decentralizign has been the key to keep protesters in touch with each other. When you put all your eggs in one basket, the loss of that basket is far more devastating than if you backup useful files and information on more than one site.

Either Pescado or Delphy taking the reigns would be fine with me, but as Delphy has apparently taken a step back after his initial generous offer to buy off Walt The Stupid, it's clearly up to Pescado at this point.

http://britpoptarts.4shared.com
Celebrity / self Sims, NortWare Begone!, Zork 1-3, variety of MP3s, MATY stuff, more.

I can haz a cult?!einz!!1

What 'gap' is?
Pineapplebrain
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2225 on: 2008 December 03, 00:43:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Skye,

I reckon it's HANDS OFF, because of what deathtowalt said, there is proof (I am guessing here, deathtowalt seemed pretty factual on this) that Eric was proposing to stick around and update InSIM for a year. Obviously he has no obligation to keep going after that.

However, having said that there is conflicting issues. Skadi: Are you saying that it's been updated for Apartment Life and that Eric has nothing to do with that update? Maybe I am reading it wrong, but some clarifications on what Eric's involment with InSIM since the latest EP would be handy.

If InSIM will be left in a corner of the sinking InSIMWALT ship, it will be Eric's prerogative to do what he wants to do with it. By this stage, with little information to go by, and only his past actions to judge him by, he will let it rot.
So don't bother trying to save it, unless you want to clone it and give it to a team interested enough to keep modding it. Eric has no copyright to it, since it's all EA code.

Well, I don't know about proof exactly. Just Walt's word in the first announcement. In the first announcement, which was posted somewhere in this thread, he mentioned that Eric would be around to work on the InSim object for a year. It has also been mentioned that the reason for this might be because Mansion and Garden stuff functions as its own .exe, so the object might need to be updated. Let me go back and see if I can find the specific posts and pages these were mentioned on.

ETA: "Eric has already agreed to continue to update his InSIMenator module for at least another year." This is from the e-mail Paden and other staff members at InSim received, and the subsequent announcement that Walt pasted on the site. She posted it on the first page of this thread.

ETA2: "Someone pointed out in another thread that the .exe file for M&G Stuff is, in fact, EP 9. Apparently this is because it comes with a new option in build mode and a new interaction." This is from Owl on page 15 of this thread.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 03, 01:02:11 by Pineapplebrain » Logged
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: 2008 December 03, 00:43:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really hope that Pescado grabs the reins cause this horse and buggy are getting a little out of control. Cheesy

Tabby
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: 2008 December 03, 00:47:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thing is, we don't want it cause of the way we got treated. Why let their little glory live on? If other people want it, fine and good, we don't.

I understand that most people may not see it this way, but it isn't their glory. EA put the codes into the game, they made the object that InSIM uses, it was never theirs. The only thing he/they did was put it all in one place, and make it so that you don't have to put in the testingcheats thing.  By all means, if it is the consensus of everyone who will be at the new site, that they don't want it then it shouldn't be there. I am sure if it does get left behind to rot, someone out there will make something similar enough to keep the 12's happy. 

Fuck.You.
Disillusioned miscreant
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2228 on: 2008 December 03, 00:53:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really hope that Pescado grabs the reins cause this horse and buggy are getting a little out of control. Cheesy

Yeah, where is ol' grumpy anyway? The servers are up as far as I can tell (no, I didn't peek, but I'm getting hits from there). I bet he's sleeping again. Lazy assmonkey...

Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: 2008 December 03, 00:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Paden, I'd say so.. why don't you guys start running polls among yourselves to decide on a name, and sort out with Pescado if he's ok to host it?

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
count four
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: 2008 December 03, 00:55:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've thought from Day 1 that the sooner the insimenator passed into history the better. It'll always be around somewhere in some form or another and that's cool. If people still want it, it'll be findable. However I think once they get used to a new shiny, it'll be forgotten about.

Why not start now.

HERE and HERE

Not the teleport I'm looking for.  The Simlogical is a great site, but the Teleporters substitute for the Summoner function on InSim.  The teleport function of InSim provides the meditation-skill teleportation for all sims, without having to learn the skill or be in meditation state--click a spot, choose teleport and the sim teleports to that spot.  Comes in really handy with toddlers trapped in a forest of legs and with kids loitering on the fourth floor while the school bus is honking outside.  Tongue
Skye
ARR!

......It had to be the RUM!

View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: 2008 December 03, 01:00:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In looking around, there was some hack by twojeffs that was called bender, that was to do close to the same stuff that insimenator does.  Why couldn't that one be used, and updated. Work with the creator of it, and give it a go?!!!

Fur is protested more often than leather because it's easier to harrass rich women than biker gangs!
http://woohoosims2.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: 2008 December 03, 01:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Said polls have been in place, Kath, it's just getting the voters into the polls, so to speak. And me without my cattle prod. Cheesy

Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2233 on: 2008 December 03, 01:01:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not the teleport I'm looking for.  The Simlogical is a great site, but the Teleporters substitute for the Summoner function on InSim.  The teleport function of InSim provides the meditation-skill teleportation for all sims, without having to learn the skill or be in meditation state--click a spot, choose teleport and the sim teleports to that spot.  Comes in really handy with toddlers trapped in a forest of legs and with kids loitering on the fourth floor while the school bus is honking outside.  Tongue

http://my.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=60666
http://my.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=296521
http://my.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=293562

There, took ten seconds to find. I'm telling you, Insim can be easily replaced.

Amazone
Buccaneer
ARR!

The haunted Witch

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: 2008 December 03, 01:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand that most people may not see it this way, but it isn't their glory. EA put the codes into the game, they made the object that InSIM uses, it was never theirs. The only thing he/they did was put it all in one place, and make it so that you don't have to put in the testingcheats thing.  By all means, if it is the consensus of everyone who will be at the new site, that they don't want it then it shouldn't be there. I am sure if it does get left behind to rot, someone out there will make something similar enough to keep the 12's happy. 

So according to your logic, everyone using hacks are 12s?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: