PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 07:13:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 910552 times)
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1905 on: 2008 December 02, 11:45:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have "moral standards" and actually don't believe in "creator rights" at all.

But you do have factual accuracy standards Smiley  (Apart from the occasional paranoia fantasia)

Our lil friend must be stopped.
dorquemada
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: 2008 December 02, 11:50:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Elder Scrolls/Bethesda community is still very huge.  Especially now with the realease of Fallout3.  Even Oblivion is still going strong, TESNexus doesn't beg for donations like Kathy did.  Many Oblivion modders also use FilePlanet for their uploads.

Oblivion? Dude, the  bloody Baldur's Gate community is still very strong, and that game's ten years old. Also, cRPG mods are mostly waaaaay larger than TS2 CC - think hundreds of megabytes larger in some cases - still, they're all free.

The Pirate Party!
_____
Every time you can has, God kills a lolcat.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: 2008 December 02, 11:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most people don't beg for donations like Kathy did, because most people are not fraudulently using the donations for personal purposes while skimming the budget surplus from advertising at the same time.

I think the key is planning ahead like you guys did.. I seem to remember you starting a few months out and dealing with it calmly. Plus you dealt with it for a year, then it was done. Much more straightforward, calm and sane than a peice of emotional blackmail done as flat panic.

I think it's fine to ask for help, reasonably and calmly.. but as long as you don't badger, twist anyone's arm or subject people to emotional blackmail. I've never minded when Nouk and Jess asked for help for example because you'd never see Nouk going "give us moneiz or I'll pull my hair meshes from MTS if you don't "..

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: 2008 December 02, 11:57:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you'd never see Nouk going "give us moneiz or I'll pull my hair meshes from MTS if you don't "..

And presumably when she does take donations, they do what they say on the tin - go towards the expenses of the site.

I think if any site finds their donations in excess of their expenses they ought to either hand them on to a site with similar policies that still has unmet costs, or take down the donation button till they have spent what they already got.   Alternatively do what they did at Parsimonious, when they said we don't need any financial help here, but if people insist on donating, we'll spend it on a treat for ourselves, or words along those lines.  I was so impressed with the honesty that I gave them something towards a box of chocolates lol!   I think they're seriously taking donations nowadays though, as the site is getting more and more costly, presumably.

Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: 2008 December 02, 12:46:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But you do have factual accuracy standards Smiley  (Apart from the occasional paranoia fantasia)
It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1910 on: 2008 December 02, 12:48:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have "moral standards" and actually don't believe in "creator rights" at all. It's more a question of objective-relevance.

Translation: convenient excuse to cause butthurt  Cheesy

It's a fascinating discussion, but what's the status on visiting Insim right now? Pescado says no, Delphy says meh and me and calalily said fuck it, open the gates. I'm probably supposed to go with what Pascado says, but I'd like to know where we stand officially.

SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1911 on: 2008 December 02, 13:00:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, UI mods for MMOs are pretty common, especially for WoW - also leveling guides and mods that allow you to do certain things more effectively.  Some of this stuff is charged for, believe it or not.

Also, there are gold farmers and powerleveling services out there too.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Aarron
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: 2008 December 02, 13:04:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless they'er a admin or modulator i cant see any reson to go back at the mo till the clone site is up, but as i'm neither of those nor a regular here its just my opinion. News either way would be nice though.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 02, 13:20:13 by Aarron » Logged
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: 2008 December 02, 13:07:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am following Pescado's instructions.  I might be seen as a bit of a maverick, but once I have decided that a particular campaign is the best way to go, I follow the instructions of the person leading that campaign until or unless it is doomed to failure.  When you're pillion on a bike, you get further more smoothly and safely if you lean the same way as the rider round bends.

ETA in the interests of complete honesty, I clicked on my insim link *once* in the last 24hrs just to see if it was up.  Then I closed the window without going anywhere.   I guess if people must see for themselves how things stand, once a day quick check would be the least obstructive.

EETTAA I deleted my link so I won't be as tempted.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 02, 13:24:25 by Quorneater » Logged

calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1914 on: 2008 December 02, 13:36:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you'd never see Nouk going "give us moneiz or I'll pull my hair meshes from MTS if you don't "..

And presumably when she does take donations, they do what they say on the tin - go towards the expenses of the site.

I think if any site finds their donations in excess of their expenses they ought to either hand them on to a site with similar policies that still has unmet costs, or take down the donation button till they have spent what they already got.

I've seen before when they go over - the top up the kitty for the next month - and make it clear that they're over this month.

Alternatively do what they did at Parsimonious, when they said we don't need any financial help here, but if people insist on donating, we'll spend it on a treat for ourselves, or words along those lines.  I was so impressed with the honesty that I gave them something towards a box of chocolates lol!   I think they're seriously taking donations nowadays though, as the site is getting more and more costly, presumably.

They lost their major sponsor - they did have someone who paid for it for a long time - a generous bankroller.  But then that stopped, and they needed help. They take requests in thanks for the donation though.

It's a fascinating discussion, but what's the status on visiting Insim right now? Pescado says no, Delphy says meh and me and calalily said fuck it, open the gates. I'm probably supposed to go with what Pascado says, but I'd like to know where we stand officially.

I'm not going there because all I'd be doing is frustrating Pescado - who has followed what he says.  But I'm not telling anyone else off about it - the people who aren't following the rules can do that job.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: 2008 December 02, 13:49:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA in the interests of complete honesty, I clicked on my insim link *once* in the last 24hrs just to see if it was up.  Then I closed the window without going anywhere.   I guess if people must see for themselves how things stand, once a day quick check would be the least obstructive.
If you want to see if it's up, use telnet to prod port 80 and tap in some junk and push enter. If you get a response, it's up. Doing this is safe since it causes no real load.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
uknortherner
ARR!

Wherever I lay my hat... That's my home.

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: 2008 December 02, 13:58:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw a link at The Oasis to a SnootySims thread where someone asked as to what was going on with InSIM. One girl stated that Walt was K&E's 'technical friend' and another one claimed that K&E offered her the site like they did good ol' Walt. Both had multi-thousand post count totals there but seriously didn't seem to have a clue as to what actually transpired regarding InSIM. Delusions of grandeur?

Some of the people over at Snooty Sims have a knack of talking out of their arses - Hell, half the time they make the BBS look like MENSA. They like to think they are a font of all knowledge because they have a 5,000+ post count, but many of their posts consists of crap and irrelevant rubbish made up on the spot.

A case in point. One person posted system specs he made up for the Sims 3 and stated that these were the official specs. I called him on it, and got roundly shouted at by some of the other regulars for daring to question these specs when he had provided no proof of it (no links or anything). In the end he managed to admit he had made them up, but the sheep still bleated at me because apparently I was wrong to question this super-speshul snowflake's lies.

The preceding message does not contain the following: Crappy poetry; song lyrics from really obscure bands; 12ish netspk; random confusion over "there", "their" and "they're"; aLtCaPs; superspeshulsnowflaekeness or any other glitter-filled bollocks.
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: 2008 December 02, 14:17:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Totally agree about the relative 12ishness (maybe more correctly 6ishness?)

karu
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: 2008 December 02, 14:43:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to see if it's up, use telnet to prod port 80 and tap in some junk and push enter. If you get a response, it's up. Doing this is safe since it causes no real load.

I'm not sure how to use telnet but this site works to check if it's online.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: 2008 December 02, 14:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooh!  It's up!!
* Quorneater checks operation beige status.

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: