PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 22:04:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 909901 times)
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1545 on: 2008 December 01, 10:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But Tamarind, that is not how it would be.  The Insimenator forum has a huge contingent of 12s who will continue to be tricked out of their pocket money and click on ads.  They won't understand the issues.  The bridge needs burning.  In fact I would have put the burning at higher priority than the pillaging.

On the other topic, Jase did end up regretting some of his approach in the InTeenimator.  He spent almost as much time helping other hackers get their stuff to work with his as he did working on the InTeenimator itself!  Cheesy  I remember struggling to get my clotheschanging mods to not make his teens the wrong shape, and in the end it actually put a halt to me making clotheschange mods altogether.  I only started again when he had semi-retired and people were beginning to abandon inteen.

TJ on the other hand when he made ACR decided not to go the overrides route, but to bolt his options on as extras.  This is another way of avoiding clashing hacks.  But another way is to simply have a tacit understanding of where one might overlap and avoid it unless essential.  Obviously if one modder is doing such poor work in the area that the community is suffering from lack of service, then sometimes you do just have to stomp over it.   
« Last Edit: 2008 December 01, 10:49:13 by Quorneater » Logged

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: 2008 December 01, 10:50:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In fact I would have put the burning at higher priority than the pillaging.
Madness! "Always pillage BEFORE you burn!".

On the other topic, Jase did end up regretting some of his approach in the InTeenimator.  He spent almost as much time helping other hackers get their stuff to work with his as he did working on the InTeenimator itself!  Cheesy
Oh, yes, real pain in the neck. The Kitten Killer was involved in FREAKING EVERYTHING, many of which had absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the entire "12 Woohoo" thing. Was it REALLY necessary to mess with jobs, schools, and everything else? I didn't understand half that stuff or why it had any relevance to the core functionality. As a result of some of the baffling things it was involved in, it caused the weirdest, most counterintuitive bugs and conflicts.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
mustluvcatz
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: 2008 December 01, 10:58:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like he should've just thrown it into a vat of boiling sharks....

I know, I know: SILENCE!!
Quorneater
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: 2008 December 01, 11:18:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The beige status is looking a bit more hopeful now.

Our lil friend must be stopped.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: 2008 December 01, 11:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Neriana I suppose the other thing you've got to keep in mind as well is, in the context of the modders it reduces the chance of conflicts too, thus leading to less borkage of other's games. Wink

Most of the hacks and mods have documentation and notes.  That solves that problem.

Only up to a point.. not everyone is equally good at reading or understanding hack notes or how things can clash with each other.. Unlike having twelve sets of bedding, if you've got a good hack that does the job, there's not even really a need to have a brand new hack that does it all over again. And with the number of times people have issues when they have multiple hacks that don't like each other, anything that reduces the chance of that happening is a good thing. Bedding is fairly different in that one's not going to make another peice of bedding stop working, or result in your neighborhood becoming a bfbvfs..

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1550 on: 2008 December 01, 11:44:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seriously? One minute after I turn off my damn computer last night, suddenly there's talk of burninating the countryside and the little peasants too? And you wankers have to go and resolve it before I get back? Peacefully?

I spit on you people.

Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: 2008 December 01, 11:45:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ya snooze, ya lose. Why do you think I never sleep?

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1552 on: 2008 December 01, 11:48:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Neriana I suppose the other thing you've got to keep in mind as well is, in the context of the modders it reduces the chance of conflicts too, thus leading to less borkage of other's games. Wink

Most of the hacks and mods have documentation and notes.  That solves that problem.

Only up to a point.. not everyone is equally good at reading or understanding hack notes or how things can clash with each other.. Unlike having twelve sets of bedding, if you've got a good hack that does the job, there's not even really a need to have a brand new hack that does it all over again. And with the number of times people have issues when they have multiple hacks that don't like each other, anything that reduces the chance of that happening is a good thing. Bedding is fairly different in that one's not going to make another peice of bedding stop working, or result in your neighborhood becoming a bfbvfs..

I've never understood the willy nilly lack of caution that comes from chucking hacks in with no regard, nor do I understand why you wouldn't check it all out and do it slowly.  I'll chuck in bedding and hair like a mad thing, but not hacks.  It's not as if you can delete them in game once you see the catalogue.  But I suppose there's always 300,000 people who say things like "I haven't taken [X] out since [most recent expansion] and I haven't got any problems".   Tongue

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Delphy
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: 2008 December 01, 12:07:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado,

If you have ssh / shell access, why not just kill apache and get things done quicker?  You'll need to kill the chkservd process first though as that will try restarting it every few mins.

Then you can tarball up the files and ftp them somewhere else.
Aarron
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: 2008 December 01, 12:08:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Damn, i finaly crash after 3 days insomnia and i miss all the excitement. Glad no burning was required (though crispy hocake wouldent of been amiss). Just waiting on a server reset to continue the rescue op?

I know that we're hopeing that most of the comuity will come back once the insim clone is up and running but is there a "where are they now?" for those that left befor the $h!tstorm hit the fan? if only to stop more 12's from whining here.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 01, 12:14:47 by Aarron » Logged
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: 2008 December 01, 12:13:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have ssh / shell access, why not just kill apache and get things done quicker?  You'll need to kill the chkservd process first though as that will try restarting it every few mins.
...it doesn't work that way.

Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1556 on: 2008 December 01, 12:25:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Damn, i finaly crash after 3 days insomnia and i miss all the excitement. Glad no burning was required (though crispy hocake wouldent of been amiss). Just waiting on a server reset to continue the rescue op?

DO NOT TOUCH INSIM! Do not go near it. Do not attempt to poke it with a stick. It's being annexed by the Pescado batlefleet. DO NOT TOUCH!

You know, in case you were talking about going in and snagging files. Don't know what you've read.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 01, 12:40:34 by Devilfish » Logged

Ali
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: 2008 December 01, 12:27:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: devilfish
DO NOT TOUCH INSIM!

maybe we could put it up in great blinking neon letters somewhere?!
Aarron
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: 2008 December 01, 12:37:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aye, i know not to go there (posted back on page 73 i think). just woundering if Pes was still waiting for the servers to come back up. Still bleary eyed from lack of sleep and reading 30+ pages since i was last on.

the "where are the now" sugestion was a (slim) hope to keep the 12's off the (insim) site.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: 2008 December 01, 12:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes! Finally finished reading the implosion! You guys had to orchestrate this shit on my poker weekend, didn't ya? Damn my timing, and damn my social life. Am not going to repeat condolences, because you guys have read them to death, and am not going to give a stance on any burnination, since it's not going to go ahead anyway. Walt can look like a used cow udder, or look like Walt does, and it still won't change my opinion that he is a two bit gangster hiding behind his mommy's skirts. Kathy and Eric should have given their members SOMETHING of a clue on what they were doing. Not this cowardly shit. Trust them ever again? Oh I think not.

So Is InSim dead? Or am I going to have to wait for Walt to realise what is going on, so his frothing can make more of an alienating impact? I have not logged in, due to the request of the Pirate King, and just checked the time zone for Virginia. It is now 7am Monday, and here it is 11:30pm Monday; Unless I plan to sit here drinking Glenlivet scotch mixed with coke to keep me awake, I am going to miss it.
It's not malice that I want it ghost-towned (that is what I meant by "dead"), I just want to see Walt's face when he realises all the creators have jumped ship, and all he has are a few uninformed people, roaming the sight, eager for a sighting of life. God... I hope he comes here  Cheesy

I swear it's not malice, just MOAR FIGHT!  Kiss

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: