PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 18:40:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Insim under new management!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 237 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Insim under new management!  (Read 909043 times)
Tchannie
Little Bitch
ARR!

I am Tchan, hear me roar

View Profile WWW
Re: Insim under new management!
« Reply #1380 on: 2008 December 01, 01:44:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Half the files from there have already been backed up by fans and creators themselves, have they not? If some people crawl out of the woodwork with the other half, then personally I think you should kill it.

~ It doesn't matter that the FAQ states it as a bad thing, I LIKE being the one and only Little Bitch. ~

Quote from: Jojoba
Poor Pescado...he was just trying to be mean...and then you go and take it as a compliment! Bah humbug!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: 2008 December 01, 01:45:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pes, that's technically illegal, isn't it? Not to mention, people are still needing to get copies of their files that got zorched in crashes and stuff... I just don't know. I don't know how to respond.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1382 on: 2008 December 01, 01:45:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the only chance to save it is to burn it, then I say go for it.  Its a bit like saying, 'Well, if we do the operation, there is a chance you won't survive, but if we don't, you'll die.'

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
edejan
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: 2008 December 01, 01:45:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, it has become clear that we're at a point where we may need to burn the village in order to save the village. Since there is no practical way to stop the 12s from swarming and killing the server, the obvious solution at this point is to intentionally spike the DB, rendering the site inoperable. Naturally, this will most likely permanently damage WaltZone and remove the option for people to stay there. There is no guarantee this will result in the successful retrieval of the files even if it is undertaken. What say you?

As long as you can't be criminally charged, I say burn, baby, burn....
redisenchanted
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: 2008 December 01, 01:45:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, it has become clear that we're at a point where we may need to burn the village in order to save the village. Since there is no practical way to stop the 12s from swarming and killing the server, the obvious solution at this point is to intentionally spike the DB, rendering the site inoperable. Naturally, this will most likely permanently damage WaltZone and remove the option for people to stay there. There is no guarantee this will result in the successful retrieval of the files even if it is undertaken. What say you?

I don't think I can support this. I may be misunderstanding you, but it sounds like deliberate sabotage. It doesn't seem right to take all choice away from those who might inexplicably want to stay.

I think if the site becomes accessible again, people will quickly overload it downloading everything they can anyway. More creators will delete their things. WaltZone will never recover anyway. Better to let people scatter and rebuild where they wish. Anything of importance is on somebody's hard drive already.
montoto_sk
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: 2008 December 01, 01:46:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I just get here.  The InSim cloning was failed? Now we must choose to burn it or leave our stuff there in the Waltmenator?
thedom
Landlubber

Arrg these are comfortable

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: 2008 December 01, 01:47:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only person I'm truly concerned about from Insim is Squinge, he is the only reason I go there, I just hope he backed up his stuff...

There's Walt and his Mom at the Douche Bag Awards for Walt's Website.
heartless
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: 2008 December 01, 01:48:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, and if anyone is searching for their stuff they didn't back up, people will be able to find them in their games and retrieve them. Hopefully.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: 2008 December 01, 01:49:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We should just be happy she didn't go for the new thread button - it *is* the weekend.

Aint that the truth, she'd have lost a hand. I know how territorial pirates are over the 'new thread' button.

This made me laugh a lot.  Thank you.   Cheesy

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: 2008 December 01, 01:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible that between what you have already and what the gang has collected, it would enough to clone without the sabotage?

Were not doing this for the lulz and we're not criminals. It's a fine line.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Killzone
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: 2008 December 01, 01:51:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only person I'm truly concerned about from Insim is Squinge, he is the only reason I go there, I just hope he backed up his stuff...

I read on another site (Sim Oasis I think), that someone had contacted Squinge by phone, that he has everything backed up, and has yet to decide what to do
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: 2008 December 01, 01:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Squinge has his stuff backed up from 2005, as far as I know.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
NoOrdinaryRabbit
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: 2008 December 01, 01:53:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is part of the reason InSim keeps going down because bandwidth is running low?

Will the site crash as much once December starts in a few hours, and the bandwidth meter presumably resets?

I'd prefer holding off doing anything permanently damaging as long as possible, until the creators have had a chance to retrieve what they want.

Spiking the DB sounds a bit extreme, but if the mods think it's the only option left, I would support their decision.
thedom
Landlubber

Arrg these are comfortable

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: 2008 December 01, 01:53:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read on another site (Sim Oasis I think), that someone had contacted Squinge by phone, that he has everything backed up, and has yet to decide what to do
That's a relief, but I do feel bad for the other creators who will lose their stuff.

There's Walt and his Mom at the Douche Bag Awards for Walt's Website.
scrappysim
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: 2008 December 01, 01:55:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe this should wait until after Monday to see what happens when and if Walt (and everyone else who might have been away with family for the US holiday weekend)  get back.  Remember, the timing of this was terrible but we dont really know what is going to happen in the light of the regular "workweek" yet.  I know that everyone is in a hurry for something to be done but at least waiting for that doesnt seem unreasonable.  

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Deeply. . . . It's worth it!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 237 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: