PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 21:33:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Electronic Arts Lowers 2009 Forecast, Will Cut Jobs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Electronic Arts Lowers 2009 Forecast, Will Cut Jobs  (Read 11996 times)
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Electronic Arts Lowers 2009 Forecast, Will Cut Jobs
« Reply #15 on: 2008 November 01, 22:24:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is why it is important to not only NOT buy SecuROM, but to stigmatize and ridicule anyone who DOES! Just as people who actually respond to spam are as much The Enemy, if not more so, than the spammers themselves, PEOPLE WHO BUY SECUROM ARE THE BIGGEST PART OF THE PROBLEM. They must be scorned, mocked, and ridiculed!

That approach has been picking up speed since Spore got released.. I noticed a change of attitude among the posts I saw, and it was a lot more common for the posters on the big forums to understand the issues involved, and understand them really well.. Which is why EA didn't really get away with the nonsense of increasing the activations from three to five, people KNEW it was a token gesture.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 November 01, 22:56:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been public enemy no.1 since I refused to buy spore.  Thank god for the release of Fable 2.  All thoughts of spore are now forgotten, at least for now.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 November 01, 23:30:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, and also its a loud of crap, whther its 3 or 5 or 50....its still a limit on something -you- buy, and with money so tight right now, people won't stand for it.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 November 01, 23:38:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

actually that hadn't occurred to me, but of course that would be part of someone's buying decision when they don't have large amounts of cash to spread around..

By the way, EA screaming "one million sold" of Spore was a bit of hogwash.. what it was was more like 400,000 on PC and the rest made up from platforms like mobile and DS.. which don't cost as much. Wink And considering The Witcher's sold a million and Sins of the Solar Empire sold at least half a million by now, it's hardly the mega-hit they hoped for.

Skadi
Mushroom Girl
ARR!

Sublime Mushroom Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 November 02, 00:57:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Pirate Mushroom doesn't pay for her DS games either  Cheesy

Pesky Pescado's in your garden? SublimeSims.net. Proud host to Illusions of Grandeur, Calalily Sims and Sims2Artists.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2008 November 02, 15:13:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

actually that hadn't occurred to me, but of course that would be part of someone's buying decision when they don't have large amounts of cash to spread around..

By the way, EA screaming "one million sold" of Spore was a bit of hogwash.. what it was was more like 400,000 on PC and the rest made up from platforms like mobile and DS.. which don't cost as much. Wink And considering The Witcher's sold a million and Sins of the Solar Empire sold at least half a million by now, it's hardly the mega-hit they hoped for.

Not to mention Fallout 3 just came out, with an Oblivion type engine...

www.thestormradio.com
silver
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 November 02, 19:28:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I would like to see ... what makes me truly curious ... would be to see EA's sales figures since 2001, which was the last time that the US economy was really terrible, before the alleged "recovery". (Yeah. Tell that to the people tossed on the street who spent months and even years looking for a job that MIGHT pay the rent. For some reason, some politicians don't seem to realize that a job is NOT a job is NOT a job. A Wally-world job usually doesn't pay anywhere near a good manufacturing job. But I digress.)

I do have sales figures from 2007/2008 from a Wall Street Journal article. If the projected income from late 2008 was/is even WORSE than they expected, many more employees should be afraid. Be very afraid. According to this article, EA was betting very heavily on Spore to bail their butts out. Guess Spore wasn't quite the saving grace they thought it would be.

And STILL, they won't listen to their customers and at least consider using Steam. They will happily blame pirates and the economy, but not their own stupid business practices.

Anyway ... found a chart on this page:

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t39684.html

According to the article I have, 2008, though, seems to be a year of steady losses, with losses of over 400 million forecasted in the last fiscal quarter of this year. But that was as of September 2, 2008. If EA is seeing even more losses, eek!

This was the best I could come up with:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122539935362185471.html

Hmmmmmm ........

P.S.
Off-topic, slightly, I was trying to find a copy of that article I have, since it has a huge grease spot on it, and reading the chart could be difficult, and came up with these articles:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/14/AR2008091400885.html
http://voices.allthingsd.com/20080909/gamers-fight-back-against-lackluster-spore-gameplay-bad-drm/

and:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/riccitiello-investors-don-t-give-a-sh-t-about-quality

Reading about EA IS entertaining!

lexilove
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 November 02, 22:46:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That article makes me laugh every time! XD

I have bought every Sims 2 EP except for Pets, and I purchased Spore for my birthday. Yes, I was aware of SecuROM, but I figured it wouldn't hurt my computer (it didn't). But so many people are having computer trouble right now because of that sucky DRM that EA thinks is going to stop Pirates. If they haven't noticed, people are illegally downloading their games left and right; it obviously hasn't stopped anyone.
Spore runs extremely slowly on my computer, and yes, my computer has better specs than required to run the game. Now the game won't even start up, and I just uninstalled it about 5 minutes ago. Now I'm going to join the masses and write a 1-star Amazon review.  Grin

Anyway, I'm glad EA is suffering for what they did to their consumers by putting SecuROM on their games.

When it gets dark enough, you can see the stars.
One of them is mine.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 November 02, 23:33:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go to RYG or the PRISM to see how to check for SecuROm and removal instructions, just in case.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 November 03, 03:46:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Probably more so than their SecuRom infested games. Maybe their next release should be a strategy game called Sim-EAssholes. The goal could be to buy as many successful software companies as you can and figure out all kinds of unique and creative strategies for destroying them, all while increasing your own salary and cutting your workforce.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2008 November 03, 08:00:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Snarky, have I told you I love you again this month.. Grin

Nightmare
ARR!

Grammar this moron: Besame el culo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2008 November 03, 13:03:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Probably more so than their SecuRom infested games. Maybe their next release should be a strategy game called Sim-EAssholes. The goal could be to buy as many successful software companies as you can and figure out all kinds of unique and creative strategies for destroying them, all while increasing your own salary and cutting your workforce.

QFMFT

Die! Securom! Die!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2008 November 06, 03:05:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*steals Snarky for another brother* Your dry wit is such a comfort right now.  You can be part of my shark brother collection - I just hope you don't mind hugs and kisses on the cheeks from females.

www.thestormradio.com
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 November 06, 04:21:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*steals Snarky for another brother* Your dry wit is such a comfort right now.  You can be part of my shark brother collection - I just hope you don't mind hugs and kisses on the cheeks from females.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 November 06, 08:57:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Bunny/Pancake Macro snip*

Don't YOU have a shark brother collection? All the cool kids do.

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: