PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:30:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Good morning, please check here
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Good morning, please check here  (Read 56934 times)
EmilyTwitch
Mentally Retarded
ARR!

is still in 12-school...

View Profile WWW
Re: Good morning, please check here
« Reply #105 on: 2008 October 14, 23:21:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a strange combination of Midwest and California accents. Not to mention I have a mix of the two slang's also ("Y'all" and "hecka" and "that's tight".) I'm a strange one. Roll Eyes

sounds like 'booter' and 'poob'. 

I actually laughed out loud at that. Cheesy

Oh look, I get a speshul title. Thanks Pescado.
Artwork?
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2008 October 14, 23:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sometimes get caught up with a Midwestern accent, although I'm mostly a generic American kind of accent. There are times when I'm at work, though, that I'll start sounding like a milder version of Kirsten Dunst in "Drop Dead Gorgeous" because I have to yell across the cafe when a drink is done "George, your half calf soy vanilla latte is on the bar". It's when "bar" comes out of my mouth that my coworkers (who seem to mostly be from SoCal and Florida) start to make fun of me.

Silly Edit:

I HATE the word "hecka". If you're gonna use that slang, go all the way and say "hella" god damnit. -_-  Also, I get made fun of for saying pop instead of soda, sack instead of bag. As my ex used to tell me, if you walk out of a grocery store holding your sack, you're gonna get a few looks. Cheesy

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2008 October 14, 23:55:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do people with spainish accents think the canadian accent sounds slow (like americans tend to)?

I've an American, and I've never thought the Canadian accent is slow, or even much of an accent.

Depends on where you're from in Canada, of course. Where I'm from everyone has an accent that is largely indistinguishable from a Pacific US one; however head over to Newfoundland, Nova Scotia or Quebec (for the francophones there at least) and voices/accents are likely going to sound much different. You may be referring to that generic, slow, stereotypical accent that gets stuck on to Canadians for laughs (although Canadians do it too as a joke; see "Bob and Doug MacKenzie"). That accent is more common back East, and is not anywhere near as common as is popularly thought.
Missbonbon
ARR!

Bonbons... Sally Bonbons

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2008 October 15, 00:03:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

More people from Michigan! I lived there until I was 4, but I visit every year or so. Kinda sad about all the troubles people up there are having now a days.

"Why don't you take your sisters barbie and shove it sideways up your rectum.  Then send Ken to rescue her."- Soggyfox
keirra
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2008 October 15, 00:04:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm from Michigan, so I just sound like an American news anchor who extends her "a"s sometimes Tongue.

http://www.michigannative.com/ma_home.shtml  <--the "michigan accent" guide... it's funny.

I'm a michigander as well.

Great link! I grew up in Upper Michigan. I moved away when I was 20. I went back several times to visit since then. My brother still lives there (my parents are both deceased).

I have to have a pasty when I visit. I've lived in Oklahoma, Germany, Arizona and Washington. Everyone thinks a pasty is one of those thingies that covers nipples.  Cheesy

I still say "you guys" all the time.  Grin

I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I work there and don't want to see you every day.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: 2008 October 15, 00:10:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Soggy, I never would have pegged you for an American.  For some reason I assumed you were Norwegian.  Where did I get that from? Huh

The only accented English I really struggle with is Scots.  It sounds as if it's missing most of its consonants.

I'm from north of Boston, and if you want to hear a really ugly accent, you can phone me. Cheesy

What's so funny is people watching me knit think I'm Norwegian too.  That's kind of neat, I think overall, Scandinavians are a cool lot.  As for the New England accent, one of the people I work with sounds like he's on NPR, because he struggles to hide his accent, but he showed it off one evening and I think its a nice accent.  Accents keep people from being boring to listen to Smiley

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Druid
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2008 October 15, 00:18:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps I'm simply not "USian" (as opposed to 'worldly') enough, but some of the phrases I see nothing wrong with using them or how they say we pronounce them. Why is "you guys" weird? Huh And I NEVER pronounce it "melk" or "ayeggs" for milk and eggs. It makes me twitch when I hear people say it that way...

And yeah, it sucks here... badly. The fiance-type (I need to find a shorthand way to refer to him... something awesome like "Mr Coolington" like cala has for her husband, but not as boring as "boyfriend" or whatever) and I are both struggling looking for jobs. I have something temporary that ends at the end of the month (sigh), and his degree doesn't lend itself to jobs around here... we don't have many nuclear plants. :p We've been looking to relocate elsewhere, but it's hard since we want, apparently, totally different things. We wanted west coast, I wanted east; he likes HOT weather, I prefer cooler; etc. I'm convinced we're going to get jobs offered to us simultaneously on opposite ends of the country and one of us is going to have to turn it down. Have any of you guys had any experience with this sort of situation? I would like some advice.
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2008 October 15, 00:55:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kinda like the idea now, of all of us getting together and talking on the interwebz. Wait, don't we already do that? heh.

Maybe tape a sound wave and post it? I love accents Smiley Mine is boring. It's not occa, it's not strong, it's just boring. I went drinking with a Canadian two weeks ago, I met her at the pub. Her accent was awesome, she was from Vancouver, and a big name in the West End. She told me so much gossip heh. Dunno if any of it is true, but who cared when her accent was just awesomesauce? Tongue

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2008 October 15, 01:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, born and bred Texan.  I wasn't raised in what I consider the traditional Texan home though.

The real question is do you have a cowboy hat? Tongue

..I had one.  If I had money, I'd totally get another.  Shocked  I found myself eyeing some a few months ago.  Texas is probably the only place you could wear a cowboy hat anywhere and not even get looks for it.

I wonder if you thought I was from Boston because I am uh.. abrasive and "loud".   Wink

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2008 October 15, 01:17:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kinda like the idea now, of all of us getting together and talking on the interwebz. Wait, don't we already do that? heh.

Maybe tape a sound wave and post it? I love accents Smiley Mine is boring. It's not occa, it's not strong, it's just boring. I went drinking with a Canadian two weeks ago, I met her at the pub. Her accent was awesome, she was from Vancouver, and a big name in the West End. She told me so much gossip heh. Dunno if any of it is true, but who cared when her accent was just awesomesauce? Tongue

Oh yeah? What's her name?  Grin (I am from Vancouver too, but it is highly unlikely that I know this person)

Er, and is that West End in your part of the world or the West End in my part? Huh Cheesy

Edit: Took out the weirdy third person-ness
Millie
ARR!

Mean, callous, Harpy.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2008 October 15, 01:27:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe tape a sound wave and post it? I love accents Smiley Mine is boring. It's not occa, it's not strong, it's just boring.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1nCOCosBs

This is kind of like mine, but I have a huskier voice.

Every time a woman masturbates, God creates a kitteh. Think of the Kittehs people!
Tabby
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2008 October 15, 01:30:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I grew up in Georgia and now live in Tennessee. I miss home though, I keep trying to convince my husband to move us all back there. I don't think I sound too southern, except when I get mad. Then for whatever reason, I sound really country.  Cheesy  My mother is doing a bang up job of teaching my daughter to be a "proper southern belle" though. The way she talks sometimes, even I cant understand a word of what she is saying.  Cheesy

Fuck.You.
Disillusioned miscreant
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: 2008 October 15, 02:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's see - my dad was from Pennsylvania, my other from New Jersey.  I was born in W. Germany, came to the states, lied in Georgia and Pennsylvania or New Jersey [not sure which] until I was four, went back to W. German, lived there until I was 9 and hung out with german kids, then came back to Ga. and have lived here since '76.  I rarely watch TV except for british and educational stuff, read tons of british fiction and always did - thier children's lit is -so- much better than american - it doesn't talk down nearly as badly.  I don't think I've got an accent so much as just a mannerism.  But if folks want to give a listen to what I sound like...I do an internet radio show twice a week for City of Heros.... O.o o.O

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
deelink
ARR!

patch it where it counts

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2008 October 15, 04:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yeah? What's her name?  Grin (I am from Vancouver too, but it is highly unlikely that I know this person)
Er, and is that West End in your part of the world or the West End in my part? Huh Cheesy

Edit: Took out the weirdy third person-ness

Uermn... I dunno if I should disclose her name. She's a lesbian, and said that Vancouver's west end is a lot like our Kings Cross, which means Big Gay Scene. She's seen a lot of celebrities there doing the dirty with same sex patners.  Cheesy
At first I was like...meh....then the drunker I got the more shocked I was getting, which amused her to no end. I mean, godamn, I always thought Tom Cruise was gay, but to be told he goes exclusively to Vancouver to get laid, and stuff, well it shocked me. Because it's Tom Cruise, I just thought he existed in a suspended animation pod until it was time for him to come out and do a movie/interviews  Cheesy

"It's a pity closed minds don't come with closed mouths" - Strix
mando
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2008 October 15, 04:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uermn... I dunno if I should disclose her name. She's a lesbian, and said that Vancouver's west end is a lot like our Kings Cross, which means Big Gay Scene. She's seen a lot of celebrities there doing the dirty with same sex patners.  Cheesy

Ha, ha! I was just kidding, there's no need to tell me her name.  Cheesy (Although I somewhat doubt she's as famous as she claims in that part of town, especially considering that she's a lady Wink).

Because it's Tom Cruise, I just thought he existed in a suspended animation pod until it was time for him to come out and do a movie/interviews  Cheesy

Well, I mean, can't he do it (them?) all? I mean he's got a lot of time on his hands with the lack of work and all. How much time does fighting Xenu take during the day anyway? Plus, seriously, what better way to prove that you've achieved the "Personal Size" power. Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: