PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 06:36:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  EA has been SUED 5 TIMES MERRY CHRISTMAS EA MUHAHA ARR!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA has been SUED 5 TIMES MERRY CHRISTMAS EA MUHAHA ARR!  (Read 101637 times)
Craftingmomma
Landlubber

View Profile
Re: EA has been SUED TWICE! ARR! (1 more pending)
« Reply #165 on: 2008 October 16, 23:53:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In searching the bbs, the earliest and only reference I could find to the removal tools was this

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?&openItemID=item.21,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23&threadID=ca9cea8b8f6ed84fdc97f42d919e009d&directoryID=21&startRow=1#114b2ce5e95f992a524694bb1c85dc9e

I kinda vaguely remember something about what you are asking about, but if it existed it went the way of many securom posts......pffft vanished.

Edit-checked with some else around back then and she remembers it too, so would have been before the date on that post.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 17, 00:03:55 by Craftingmomma » Logged
Nightmare
ARR!

Grammar this moron: Besame el culo

View Profile WWW
Re: EA has been SUED 4 TIMES YEAH HAVE AT YA FUCKING BASTARDS ARR!
« Reply #166 on: 2008 October 29, 20:53:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the new title twice more than the previous, and you guys  Grin

Die! Securom! Die!
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: 2008 October 29, 21:13:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Details?

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Nightmare
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: 2008 October 29, 21:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Details?

The 2 added:

Spore Creature Creator spanked.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/3:2008cv04733/208019/1/

Girard Libbs has been filled

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/3:2008cv04917/208302/1/
 JR, I reallly wish you a nice day! Luv ya! Grin

Die! Securom! Die!
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2008 October 30, 17:47:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Love it. That last one mentions Sims 2 Bon Voyage specifically.  Grin

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Rata_Chen
ARR!

One Bad Apple

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2008 November 06, 04:01:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't seen this addressed while lurking, but what do y'all think will happen with all of the existing Securom infested CDs, if the consumers win the suit. Do y'all think that EA would have to replace all infected CDs with "clean" versions, or that they would just re-release all existing EPs/SPs with "clean" versions? Or will a "Now with Moar Spy!" sticker be a feature on all existing Sims products. Has the law firm stated what they wish to do as far as punishment/repayment yet?

I've been pondering this ever since news of the suit broke.
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: 2008 November 06, 09:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't seen this addressed while lurking, but what do y'all think will happen with all of the existing Securom infested CDs, if the consumers win the suit. Do y'all think that EA would have to replace all infected CDs with "clean" versions, or that they would just re-release all existing EPs/SPs with "clean" versions? Or will a "Now with Moar Spy!" sticker be a feature on all existing Sims products. Has the law firm stated what they wish to do as far as punishment/repayment yet?

It really depends.  They might do either depending on what the court decides. I don't think that they would re-issue CDs - just make a patch available.

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2008 November 06, 17:00:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would a patch be capable of neutering SecuROM, though? For me, I'd rather have a brand new, shiny clean CD that wouldn't contaminate my computer with that shit in any way, shape or form. Then again, I tend to be stubborn at times.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: 2008 November 06, 17:15:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to SecuROM (and this may have been posted before, in which case feel free to cat me) but I used this: http://www.simprograms.com/securom-removal-tool-added/. Can't judge how much it helped though, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

I just found out Bethesda hopped on the SecuROM bandwagon with Fallout 3. It's silly, I know, evil corp and all that, but that broke my heart.

SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2008 November 06, 17:26:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't seen this addressed while lurking, but what do y'all think will happen with all of the existing Securom infested CDs, if the consumers win the suit...

I also think that patching the existing CDs would be the likeliest course of action. It's feasible and would be much cheaper than replacing millions of infected discs. I just wonder whether or not the geniuses at Sony, when developing their special brand of malware, took into account the possibility that someday they would have to remove it.  Considering their history with unstable and unpopular copyright protection programs, I'd really be surprised if they hadn't. But then again... Roll Eyes
Nightmare
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: 2008 November 06, 18:46:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't seen this addressed while lurking, but what do y'all think will happen with all of the existing Securom infested CDs, if the consumers win the suit...

I also think that patching the existing CDs would be the likeliest course of action. It's feasible and would be much cheaper than replacing millions of infected discs. I just wonder whether or not the geniuses at Sony, when developing their special brand of malware, took into account the possibility that someday they would have to remove it.  Considering their history with unstable and unpopular copyright protection programs, I'd really be surprised if they hadn't. But then again... Roll Eyes

That´s a no-no. When XCP was fucked, they retired all infected CD´s so they´ll have to do the same now....  Grin

Securom?, no thanks  Tongue

Die! Securom! Die!
Requip
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2008 November 07, 20:14:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They might do either depending on what the court decides.

I'm HOPING for a positive ruling but I have a feeling it will fall in line with the FTC ruling against Sony (similar) and this will be the outcome:

The settlement also:

1) requires clear and prominent disclosure on the packaging of Sony BMG’s future CDs of any limits on copying or restrictions on the use of playback devices.

2) bars the company from installing content protection software without obtaining consumers’ authorization

3) bars Sony BMG from using the information on consumers’ listening preferences that it has already gathered through the monitoring technology it installed and bars them from using the information to deliver ads to those consumers

4) requires Sony BMG to reimburse consumers up to $150 to repair damage that resulted directly from consumers’ attempts to remove the software installed without their consent.

So we'll end up with DRM warning labels on Sims games and compensation for computer repairs?  Angry (which is not what I want)  Cheesy

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2008 November 07, 20:34:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want SecuROM thrown onto the trash heap of programs and safe replacement disks furnished free of charge for all of us that bought or were given copies that contain SecuROM. It's only fair. Those fucks cost us money and functionality so it's only fair that we kick them in their big fat wallets.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
lemmiwinks
ARR!

Swashbuckler

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2008 November 08, 02:38:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lorelei over at MATY pretty much nailed who we are dealing with here.

Rock Band has also been implicated in trying to burn down people's houses.
The advice EAxis support gave him was to try to plug it back in.
Jim's email #3 is made of pwnage and win.

FIRE = BAD
YOU = UNAWARE OF FIRE

That was my fave part, too, though the whole exchange reminded me of having to deal with EA support boobs in the past (I have a laptop with an NVidia card; EA determined that I would be unable to run Sims 2 on my lappy, and, obviously, they were wrong as I ran it before, and figured out later how to run it again).

Letter Exchange A:
You: Hi! Happy EA customer, here. I can haz PROBLEM! Halp?
EA: Canned response that has little or nothing to do with your issue. Insinuation that PROBLEM is due entirely to user error.

Letter Exchange B:
You: No. "PROB-LEM." Your response had little or nothing to do with my issue. Try again.
EA: Canned response that may or may not be relevant to the area in which problem may be occurring. Assertion that EA is there for you, the valued user.

Letter Exchange C:
You: Yeah, hi again. PROBLEM has now lasted three days. I told you what I've tried, and took your canned advice, and the PROBLEM persists. May I speak to a human sometime this week, please? My time is valuable, too, and the  robo-responses are clearly not helping.
EA: Patronizing canned response that attempts to soothe but only infuriates, and again has naught to do with actual issue, though they may have started to acknowledge it is possible their product may have a problem and that it is not a PEBKAC issue after all.

Letter Exchange D:
You: Yeeeeeaaaaah. Hi. Person with PROBLEM here again. I tried your advice, as it may have been relevant in some magical way to the issue I was having and did not smugly assume I use a mouse as a foot pedal and a CD tray as a beverage holder, which is an improvement. Can we just assume I am not a total idiot and actually get a real human being to examine PROBLEM? KTHNXBAI.
EA: (OMG, a human!) Hi, human here. I do not speak English as my native tongue, and have no idea what the problem is, but PROBLEM correspondence has been routed to me. Please start from the beginning and tell me about PROBLEM.

Letter Exchange E:
You: Exasperated but complete synopsis of PROBLEM and reasons why EA advice was EPIC FAIL, and a postscript venting your extreme aggravation and burgeoning ill will towards EA.
EA: (OMG! Still a human!) PROBLEM is Sony's fault, not EA's fault.

Letter Exchange F:
You: Kindly explain why this is Sony's problem. Game worked fine with current configuration prior to new EP. Discuss, please.
EA: Canned response blaming Sony for everything. EA ARE GRAYT, IT ARE NOT EA FAULT, GO AWAY.

Letter Exchange G:
You: Look, EA, you keep telling me it is impossible to run the game on my laptop, when it was running on the laptop six days ago. Then you blame Sony for PROBLEM and I suspect it's your own shitty programming and lack of useful beta-testing at fault. How much do you suck, exactly? Inquiring minds want to know.
EA: Canned response thanking you for being a swell customer.

Letter Exchange H:
You: God damn it, EA. PROBLEM persists. WTF, man?
EA: (Human who does not speak English well.) Go ask Sony.
EA: Canned response suggesting you unplug your computer and then plug it back in.
EA: Canned response asking you to check if the power in your house is working.
EA: Canned response resolving a Madden Football issue. You don't own Madden Football.
EA: Canned BUY MOAR KEWL EA STUFF letter. (LOL WUT?)
EA: Four responses closing single Support Desk ticket, as your problem has been determined to have been totally, like, resolved completely by the super helpful bright sparks at EA.

Letter Exchange I:
You: Impolite ALL CAPS suggestion that EA commit self-fornication with its own backside at the earliest opportunity. Exclamation points! Exclamation points!!

You: *break something, eat a candy bar, say bad words*

Letter Exchange 1:
You: Dear Sony, I have a PROBLEM and EA says it's your fault.
Sony: EA sucks dong, and it is their fault, but we have had to resolve EA's fuck-up for them, since they keep sending thousands of angry people to us. Try this.

Letter Exchange 2:
You: Sony, I have to give you credit for fixing EA's stupidity. Your solution worked right the first time. Your SecuROM thing is still balls, but your service is far superior. You win a cookie.
Sony: Human sends response thanking you for being a swell customer. It sounds sincere. Go figure.

Don't forget to use the "Thanks" button!
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2008 November 08, 06:04:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whatever, I'd like to see some of the actual letters themselves. But maybe the people who are involved in the lawsuit can't talk about it?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: