PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 16:38:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR Sharing your infomation!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 276 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Sharing your infomation!  (Read 1070528 times)
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
Re: TSR Sharing your infomation!
« Reply #4080 on: 2009 March 26, 14:07:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

she is still at it?

Why is is defending the TSR so much? I can't imagine she is making that much money off of her lamps. There are other FA's over there who are more talented, who have a higher rate of downloads but you never hear a word from them.  It is kinda like the mailroom girl of a big company that is sinking running around trying to save the place while the top guys drink martinis on the beach getting what monies they can before the whole thing crashes and burns. Well I guess she has the most to lose....if she opened her own site no one would pay to downlad her stuff.

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: 2009 March 26, 14:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

she is still at it?

Why is is defending the TSR so much? I can't imagine she is making that much money off of her lamps. There are other FA's over there who are more talented, who have a higher rate of downloads but you never hear a word from them.  It is kinda like the mailroom girl of a big company that is sinking running around trying to save the place while the top guys drink martinis on the beach getting what monies they can before the whole thing crashes and burns. Well I guess she has the most to lose....if she opened her own site no one would pay to downlad her stuff.

It might be more than just the money.  I think TSR defines her, gives her a purpose in life.  "I'm a member of the TSR club!  I am an FA, which means I DO HAVE TALENT!" 

I can see that.  When I was made SA at TSR, I felt like I was being vindicated for the art teacher that held up my work to the class and made everyone laugh at it and laugh at me, because I couldn't draw a horse with my right hand (I was five and left handed, which pissed that teacher off to no end.  Left handedness was not to be tolerated.)  I felt finally like God had given me justification for hating that teacher, that she was WRONG and I DID HAVE ART TALENT!

I soon realized it's an empty honor.  They give it to people who they feel are potential troublemakers, just to hopefully keep them quiet, they use it to sneak in artists from the outside as a stepping stone that will supposedly make it so no one notices that they were invited to TSR to be featured artists, they didn't techically "earn" it by paying their dues on TSR.    No, you can't be horrible and be an SA, but it's not a great honor.   FA doesn't necessarily mean you're multitalented either.  For awhile it seem like "If you can make meshes quickly, you are an FA!  No one said they had to be GOOD meshes."

The telling thing to me was to look at stories and screen shots.  How many of them have I found that has any of my stuff in the background?  Walls, recolors, etc, and and all.   I haven't found one yet.  That pretty much tells me how "awesome" I am at this art stuff.   Cheesy   

So, now I mostly make stuff for my game and my game alone. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
jssimone
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: 2009 March 26, 15:38:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is kinda like the mailroom girl of a big company that is sinking running around trying to save the place while the top guys drink martinis on the beach getting what monies they can before the whole thing crashes and burns.

I never quite realized how much Dot & Maxoid Drea have in common until this very second...
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4083 on: 2009 March 26, 15:45:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe I am completely off base here, but I seem to remember that DOT was one of Thomas's favorites before Atwa came along. If this is accurate, perhaps she is trying to regain her position. I am sure Thomas asked her to do this photoshopping expose.  And by expose, I mean a stupid, inept attempt at discrediting coconut. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: 2009 March 26, 16:27:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can see that.  When I was made SA at TSR, I felt like I was being vindicated for the art teacher that held up my work to the class and made everyone laugh at it and laugh at me, because I couldn't draw a horse with my right hand (I was five and left handed, which pissed that teacher off to no end.  Left handedness was not to be tolerated.)  I felt finally like God had given me justification for hating that teacher, that she was WRONG and I DID HAVE ART TALENT!

Your kindergarten teacher hated you too? Mine made fun of me because my desk was messy and I used too much glue in projects. Never mind that I was reading at a 7th grade level.

I think DOT is proving that FAs don't just drink the Kool-Aid, they make it too. She knows the screenshots aren't fake, because she posted in those threads, she can see those fora. But here she is, trying to con TSR subscribers in her own very inept way.

justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: 2009 March 26, 18:26:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I was four I made a witch on a broomstick (fork). My teacher told me it was pathetic, it sounded like a nice word,  I was so proud of it.   I found out when I was five, at primary school, what it meant and I was devastated.  I suffered delayed hate for my art teacher, lol.
ChaosInAMinor
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: 2009 March 26, 20:45:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What the hell kind of person can say that to a four year old? You're not SUPPOSED to be freakin' Van Gogh at four. I babysat this kid regularly in high school, and all we would do when I was there was color and draw. Her dogs rarely resembled anything that could possibly be alive, and her people had arms twice the length of their body, but damnit I found something nice to say. "Oh, is that your brother? I could tell." "I really like your purple cat."

I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.
-Eddie Izzard
justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: 2009 March 26, 21:04:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well at least at the time I didn't know any better.  I remember being 8 and having to memorise multiplication tables the teacher would be banging on your desk and firing questions, the answers had to be fired back instantly.  I used to always buckle half way through, the punishment was table tennis bat across the backside.
CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: 2009 March 26, 21:30:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember being 8 and having to memorise multiplication tables the teacher would be banging on your desk and firing questions, the answers had to be fired back instantly.  I used to always buckle half way through, the punishment was table tennis bat across the backside.
Was this teacher's goal to make children hate math?  Did any kid ever get a gold star or a kind word, or was it all just learn math to avoid punishment?  I'm guessing no effort was made to make the subject even remotely interesting so kids would actually want to learn it.  Did this teacher at least explain why math is useful?  Or would the first kid to ask "When are we ever going to use this?" get hit across the backside?  Were questions in general discouraged?  Did this teacher live under a bridge and demand a toll, then eat those who didn't pay?  Sorry justso, not trying to give you bad flashbacks, I'm just morbidly curious.  You make me feel fortunate that I had human beings for teachers.

Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: 2009 March 26, 22:09:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your kindergarten teacher hated you too? Mine made fun of me because my desk was messy and I used too much glue in projects. Never mind that I was reading at a 7th grade level.

Mine was a complete and utter bitch.  I don't know what would happen to her if she was around today. But when I was growing up, adults, any adult, was the ultimate authority, you just didn't backtalk or question. 

This woman used to tie my left hand behind my back to get me to stop.  She made me wear a sign that said something along the lines of  I AM BAD, because the moment she would leave that left hand free, I would use it, it just came naturally to me.  But every time I did, this woman would flip her shit over it.  One time she slammed a stapler down on my left hand and screamed, I mean SCREAMED like a banshee, "NEVER USE THAT HAND AGAIN!  DO I HAVE TO CUT IT OFF?"  I believed she'd do it too.   My parents never knew the abuse, I was afraid if I told them, they'd get mad at me for disobeying the teacher.  But, they did put a stop to the trying to train me to be right handed.  But that was almost worse.  I got sent to school with special left handed snub nose scissors and note.  Teacher read the note, then pulls me to the front of the room and gave this lecture about how I was such a spoiled baby that I couldn't learn to use the "right hand" the "Hand God wants us to write with," that nooo, I had to be allowed to use my left hand. 

When I read the Thorn Birds later, and I got to the part where Maggie's teacher talked about how left handed children were the spawn of the devil, especially if they had red hair, I could so relate to how Maggie must have felt.   I was never called the Spawn of the Devil, but I did have red hair, and yeah, the teacher was convinced that God only wanted people to be right handed, that to be left handed was somehow a sin, right up there with fornicating with furry little woodland creatures. 

Oddly, she was supposedly a very good teacher.  This was an exclusive private kindergarten, and the staff was supposed to be top notch in every way.  And all the other kids loved this woman.  I must have reminded her of someone or something, because she just went batshit insane over everything I did. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: 2009 March 26, 22:53:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was this teacher's goal to make children hate math?  Did any kid ever get a gold star or a kind word, or was it all just learn math to avoid punishment?  I'm guessing no effort was made to make the subject even remotely interesting so kids would actually want to learn it.

I think all schools taught like this then.  It wasn't a case of liking subjects, you learned them end of.  Teachers weren't and didn't try to be your friend.  Discussion in the classroom wasn't allowed.  You could raise your hand and request help if you were really stuck, otherwise you didn't speak until you were spoken too.  Gold stars weren't easy to come by, so if you got one you really deserved one.  I don't have flashbacks I didn't find this way of learning traumatic, I don't think anyone did. 
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: 2009 March 26, 23:07:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my best friends also went to a private school, and I remember her telling me that they wouldn't let her use her left hand, and how weird I thought that was. I went to a public school and thought her school was basically run by evil child-haters. She pretty much agreed Tongue. She did end up ambidextrous, though.

CatOfWar
Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: 2009 March 26, 23:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wasn't a case of liking subjects, you learned them end of.  Teachers weren't and didn't try to be your friend.  Discussion in the classroom wasn't allowed.  You could raise your hand and request help if you were really stuck, otherwise you didn't speak until you were spoken too.  Gold stars weren't easy to come by, so if you got one you really deserved one.  I don't have flashbacks I didn't find this way of learning traumatic, I don't think anyone did. 
I'm not saying teachers should be kids friends, of course not, just saying that praise, when deserved, is a much better motivator than punishment.  I'm not suggesting we make all kids feel "special" or build up their "self esteem", I'm saying when kids learn well, lets encourage that with praise.  Questions and discussion should be encouraged.  Of course some things should be learned by rote, but rote memorization shouldn't be the only teaching method for any subject.  The point isn't to make the kids like the teacher, but to engage their minds, their interest, so they learn more.  Children are naturally inquisitive, so let's use that instead of squashing it. 

The reason I brought up "When are we ever going to use this?" is because of what's happening in my husband's department.  He teaches computer science.  There's lots of women in the lower division classes.  They get A's, they get the concepts.  Then they drop out.  Professors ask them "Why?" and those students say it's because they see no use for computer science.  These students want to DO something, solve problems, apply what they've learned, but the applications of CS aren't really discussed, so they drop out of the program.  I think many school children feel that way about learning math.

Of course we can force them to learn.  We can say do it because we say so, or else, and they'll learn.  It's a proven, workable teaching strategy.  I just don't think it's the best one.  When do we learn more?  When we're interested and we care, or when we're being forced?  Of course education should be compulsory, not something the kids only do if they feel like it.  However, it should also be interesting, engaging, and relevant because some kids will get much more out of school that way.

Skoria_Bay
ARR!

Give me a tall ship and star to sail her by

View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: 2009 March 27, 00:13:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I ever did decide to teach, by gum I'd tell the kids why they have to learn certain things. I know certainly I respected the teachers who did that for me. And no the answer isn't "because the school board says so."

And Darqstar, they did the same thing to my grandfather when he was in school. He would have been naturally left handed, but he was trained to write with his right hand. But then he went to school around the turn of the last century so go figure. Poppa was very creative and made some of the neatest things. He made little windmills out of wood, toys for me and my cousins, my dollhouse, porch swings (I wish I had one of those) and repaired lawn mowers. He had the largest heart of anyone I ever knew and loved us all deeply. He died in 1990 at the age of 94.

And I think you are very talented and have made a lot of really wonderful things for the game. Oh, and write wonderful and funny stories too.

Pescado: I will THROW THEM IN A VAT OF BOILING SHARKS!
mustluvcatz: So, what good would a vat of boiling sharks do? I mean, wouldn't the sharks be dead?
Pescado: SILENCE!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: 2009 March 27, 00:25:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sister and I were both abused by our kindergarten teachers due to using the left hand. We're both right handers now, but have a strong bias towards the left for most things. Hell, the bitch used to wear those massive turquoise rings and she'd walk up behind me and just clonk my skull with it because I needed to use the rest room and had been sitting there for five minutes with my hand up. Other times, she would dig those talons that she called fingernails into my earlobe and gouge it until blood flowed. And yes, she was the type that would tie your hand behind your back so you couldn't use it.

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 276 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: