PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 08:20:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR Sharing your infomation!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 276 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Sharing your infomation!  (Read 1072410 times)
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
Re: TSR Sharing your infomation!
« Reply #1080 on: 2008 October 15, 00:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hear hear.  However, I do disagree on a few points.

For the longest time, I got little to no response on my downloads.  People used the stuff, but I never got recognition.  I've been in the community since 2004, and even longer if you include sims1 stuff too, though I never uploaded my sims1 creations.  It never really mattered, not really.  I was happy knowing that just one other person had use for a million and one phone recolours, or for a house I'd made and liked how it turned out.  Or seeing someone include my fireplace screens in a house.

I honestly think that once bandwidth stopped being an issue, or even when people saw the numbers and the cash, they stopped caring about anything beyond greed.  And I'll admit, at one point I did consider doing a paysite of sorts.  People could get a donation item when it went up, or wait a month for the next item to go up and the previous one to rotate to free.  But then I realized that I just couldn't do something like that and gave it up as a bad job.  Mind you, this was near 2004, too, before the paysite wars.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: 2008 October 15, 00:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hear hear.  However, I do disagree on a few points.

For the longest time, I got little to no response on my downloads.  People used the stuff, but I never got recognition.  I've been in the community since 2004, and even longer if you include sims1 stuff too, though I never uploaded my sims1 creations.  It never really mattered, not really.  I was happy knowing that just one other person had use for a million and one phone recolours, or for a house I'd made and liked how it turned out.  Or seeing someone include my fireplace screens in a house.

You're a rare breed, Soggy.  Most people want some type of feedback from people.  I'm not saying that everyone who downloads should be fawning all over the creator, but I think if we, as a community, spent more time thanking and taking the time to leave feedback, some creators wouldn't be lured over to the dark side. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
daniyagami
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1082 on: 2008 October 15, 00:50:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very well said, BlackDwarf.

One of the reasons that I gave up to be part of any "big site" is because I prefer one single honest comment than thousands of fake thanks. The whole kiss ass scheme to "featured creators" that most of big sites always have makes me feel sick.

I always try to make nice comments to anything that I download to add to my game.If I am downloading is because I liked it so I think it worths to spend some seconds thanking and making some nice comments. Is not so hard.  I see a lot of people saying things like "I quit  creating because nobody ever thanked me" or "I gave up because I never update my site and nobody complained about, so I am not missed". Itīs terrible. Again, it happens a lot more in big sites.

Corsair: a pirate who be makin' his berth in the Med-...Medi-...that sea 'tween Spain and Africa, aye!
Souvenirs
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: 2008 October 15, 01:39:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I admit that I forget to click thanks on MTS2 sometimes. Embarrassed  Every once in a while I look for things I've downloaded to go back and make sure I've said thanks, though I'm sure I still miss some.  I wish I would remember, but the thanks button is kind of small and out of the way (I don't usually scroll down to the comments), and I just forget. Undecided

I think it's kind of immature and silly to get all upset because people aren't overflowing with praise for your stuff.  I don't think sitting down to make a generic "thanks, this is great!" comment means any more than someone who took the time to download it and use it in his/her game.  And, to be honest, that's all the thanks comments usually are (not only on MTS2, either).  I'd look more at the number of downloads.  If a lot of people download it, it's probably pretty good.  If not...well, maybe it needs some work.  It's certainly no excuse to start charging for anything.

Sure, MTS2 is cliquey, but it's not as if only members of the "clique" can get any recognition.  There are plenty of people who have made nice stuff, been relatively unknown, and become well known because of MTS2.  It's not easy, but seeing as they're giving you a free place to upload stuff, I don't think it's nice to complain.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: 2008 October 15, 01:52:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly - A few honest comments make me feel good - seeing my stuff in other people's uploads make me feel good - hearing 4 years later from a friend, 'OH, you did those, I've been using them for years' makes me feel good.  Fake thank yous are nice and all, but a sincere one if worth 20 fake ones, to me.

www.thestormradio.com
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: 2008 October 15, 02:04:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always try to punch the thanks button, even if there isn't a sheep on the other end of it going "baaaa" at me. At other sites, I try to leave a comment of thanks when my air card behaves. Which sadly, it isn't doing lately. I will get knocked off because it red lines for a time and has to recharge for an hour or two before I can get back on to see what has been going on while I've been gone. So, to all creators of free content: thanks so very much, you've made me very happy and my download folder burst. I love it! You guys are the best!

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: 2008 October 15, 02:12:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*scolds Paden's air card*

www.thestormradio.com
LadyDea
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: 2008 October 15, 02:19:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must admit that I never press thanks and rarely do I comment. I hate to use the fanfiction analogy again as it's been used often, but I find that it fits quite well. I write and I share what I write on the internet. I don't expect any reviews, but I do appreciate those who do review my stories (and I reply to them whenever I can), I don't, nor will I ever, demand reviews or use the threat of not updating if I don't receive so many reviews. I see how many hits my story receives and I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, I'm thrilled. In regards to people who do demand reviews, I purposely do not leave them feedback and I don't even bother to finish reading their story. Writing, and thusly creating, should be done out of enjoyment, not for the possibility of praise or money.

I do savour and appreciate every review I receive, but that's it. I know that people read and enjoy what I write, so what's the problem? The knowledge that someone had downloaded or read and found enjoyment in your creation should by itself ignite those warm and fuzzy feelings, right?

Saying that, I can understand that a lack of feedback can demoralize someone, but I can only hope that they realise that there are people out there who do enjoy the work that they share.

Come visit Sammytopia
SBNao
ARR!

...may the cutest win.

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: 2008 October 15, 02:33:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By no means am I the best creator out there. I know this, and I know that my work is still in the fledgling stages and has a long way to go, should I ever pick it back up again.  But when I was still actively posting things on TSR, it felt really nice to see my download count going up. That meant that people were at least taking my things and having a look over at them in game, regardless of whether or not they kept them.  The thank yous and comments are really nice too, but...to be honest, I lived for the download count. I wanted to know they were being snatched up, and it was ok if I only heard from people every so often.

Yae and Sae; the original Olsen twins.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: 2008 October 15, 02:36:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's kind of immature and silly to get all upset because people aren't overflowing with praise for your stuff.  I don't think sitting down to make a generic "thanks, this is great!" comment means any more than someone who took the time to download it and use it in his/her game.  And, to be honest, that's all the thanks comments usually are (not only on MTS2, either).  I'd look more at the number of downloads.  If a lot of people download it, it's probably pretty good.  If not...well, maybe it needs some work.  It's certainly no excuse to start charging for anything.

You're right, it is immature and silly to expect high praise. But since when is being mature and unsilly a requirement for being a CC creator?  And yes, sincere feedback is the best of all, but something is better than nothing.  I would rather have one sincere "thank you" than a million fake ones, or ones that were done merely to earn kudos (as is in the case at TSR) but I do want to hear something.  Download numbers are great, but all they tell me is that I can make a pretty decent picture that entices people.  I'd like to know that people weren't disappointed, that they didn't delete it. 

I'm not saying that no feedback will automatically mean someone will start expecting money.  But I am saying that if we, as a community, took a little more time to show creators that they are appreciated, some folks might never even get to the point where they would think about it.

I'm insecure enough to admit that I loved feedback when I was creating.  If that makes me needy, so be it, but sometimes it can be a pain to post stuff to a site.   Why should I go to the bother of uploading something to a site, go to the bother of packaging it, taking pictures, and all such, if I'm not going to get some type of feedback. 

There are folks that have stopped posting their creations due to getting no feedback at all.  That's pretty sad when you think about it.   Yes, you can claim it's immature to expect feedback, but isn't it also immature to look at all the free content out there as a personal playpen of toys, where you are free to take all the time but never have to give anything in return? 

I'm not saying everyone should spend hours giving feedback.  I am saying though, that it would not hurt our struggle to end paysites if people who enjoy all the free content available, took a little more time to tell creators of this lovely stuff that we appreciate them.  If we took the time to give honest, thoughtful, feedback of their stuff.   I'm not saying that by doing so, we'll win the war, but it certainly isn't going to hurt the war.  And taking the time to give feedback helps encourage a community spirit. 

Sure, MTS2 is cliquey, but it's not as if only members of the "clique" can get any recognition.  There are plenty of people who have made nice stuff, been relatively unknown, and become well known because of MTS2.  It's not easy, but seeing as they're giving you a free place to upload stuff, I don't think it's nice to complain.

*Headscratch*  What does MST2 giving free space have to do with people giving feedback?  Complaining that MST2 is slow, that the site goes down too much, that the mods there aren't spending their lives devoted to the site, that's not nice or very grateful.   However, feedback has nothing to do with the staff of MST2.  I don't think the staff of MTS2 thinks it is.   It's not up to MST2 to provide feedback for the creators, that's up to the downloaders. 

Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1090 on: 2008 October 15, 02:46:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno I think it's hard to say.  High praise for one person may leave them with an overwhelming sense of appreciation and desire to keep their work free.  For another, it may be enough to convince them that their work is desired enough to be paid for. 

I think though, if you are that kind of person, you were before you started creating, before download count and thanks.  I remember in TS1 some people would actually talk about learning to create so they could make money.  I doubt anyone would be so open about it now, but my bet is that if you are the sort of person to become pay, it's probably a thought that crosses your mind before you even open SimPe ect.

Thanks, download counts, are nice but for me, I really love seeing my work in others games.  That's the highest praise of all. 

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: 2008 October 15, 02:55:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think though, if you are that kind of person, you were before you started creating, before download count and thanks.  I remember in TS1 some people would actually talk about learning to create so they could make money
I hate that type of stuff.  If someone feels they should earn money by making meshes and all such, then learn to do it right. There are sites out there where people do make meshes for cad programs and the like and they sell meshes.  Do that if you want to make money.  Try to get a job within a gaming company.

Thanks, download counts, are nice but for me, I really love seeing my work in others games.  That's the highest praise of all. 

Oh, I agree 150% with this.  A picture of my content in a game thrills the heck out of me.  And, when I was at TSR,  I admit, I used to read over the lots to see if anyone used any of my build mode stuff.  Every time I saw my name in the credits, I felt a total rush, because that told me that someone felt my stuff was nice enough to share with others.   Something I made got posted here once, in a postive light, and I remember feeling warm and fuzzy for days, whenever I thought about it.  (No, I was not the one who posted it!)   To me?  If I can get feedback, that's what I'd rather have more than anything else.  A picture of someone using my stuff in their game.  No words can be as good as that.

Sherry
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: 2008 October 15, 03:12:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate that type of stuff.  If someone feels they should earn money by making meshes and all such, then learn to do it right. There are sites out there where people do make meshes for cad programs and the like and they sell meshes.  Do that if you want to make money.  Try to get a job within a gaming company.

LOL right, but then they would have to deal with people who, you know, expect quality.  The 3D world doesn't tend to censor critics like the sims world does, aka FA's ability to sensor comments.  If you are selling sucky models, people will know. 

ETA:  Let's be honest, few creators could hack it in the real 3D world, even amongst the ones we consider great, even amongst those who actually make all their own models.   

Immolation is the sincerest form of flattery -- Crow
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: 2008 October 15, 03:19:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll admit, there are times when it is a bit frustrating to have been apart of the community for so long and still be a relative unknown.  Especially when someone comes along and is an immediate success.  But I'd never stop creating because of that.  In fact, the only reason I've not been creating as much lately is because of my wrist.  It takes a real beating when I'm working in milkshape, even just opening up files to work on them.  And houses are harder to share because either you use CC and then you have to hunt down every piece, make sure its share-friendly, find the links, or you don't use any and then what's the point.  To me, I prefer to use other people's work in my houses, so others might notice folks who they hadn't before.  Its a way of giving thanks, for me at least.  But hopefully once I clear out an estimated 200 gigs of duplicate music, I'll be able to rest the wrist and get back into creating CC.  I have all these ideas I want to attempt, including another attempt as season-ready bigger trees.

www.thestormradio.com
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: 2008 October 15, 03:25:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must admit that I never press thanks and rarely do I comment.
Neither do I. I'm like that in real life (well, I do say thanks)...I don't give compliments unless I really, really mean them. I hate polite compliments. They aren't real. So if I do comment on something, you know I absolutely love what you made.

I also don't expect thanks or compliments. They are nice, but I don't do things for validation.

Stuff at MTS2, in my 4shared folder, and MATY/Peasantry

LiveJournal w/ story crap
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 276 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: