PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:04:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR Sharing your infomation!
0 Members and 5 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 276 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Sharing your infomation!  (Read 1060341 times)
iamawake
ARR!

Stamps rule!, I mean, suck!

View Profile
Re: TSR Sharing your infomation!
« Reply #1065 on: 2008 October 14, 21:27:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You see, that was the impression I had. I'm not very schooled in the social dynamics of MTS2 or S2C but I always doubted that the mods patrolled the forums going "please don't post links to TSR/please don't refer to TSR" the way they do with booty links and mentions. I may be wrong; as I said, I know little about how those sites are moderated.

Closeted stamp lover.
rome_raven
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: 2008 October 14, 21:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Paleo, I added you as a friend on insanejournal
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1067 on: 2008 October 14, 21:33:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I understand it, people aren't supposed to post links to paysites.  I think the reason they don't want links to the booty either is to keep the bickering back and forth to a minimum, so its just not supposed to be allowed either way - but are you going to monitor every single post on a site that big?  I couldn't handle it.  Heck, I have to fine tooth the site every few weeks to see what neat downloads I've managed to miss.

As for insim, I know the paysite/priate thing is dropped because of friction.  It was causing problems with some of the staff, I think, since some are/were pro-paysite?  I could be wrong, since I'm just a featured, not a mod myself, but I know the AA had to drop our discussion about paysites being illegal.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1068 on: 2008 October 14, 21:35:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought linking to the booty on S2C was just fine? 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: 2008 October 14, 21:45:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought it was too.  Every time I find a WCIF on a site that doesn't allow booty links, I go find it on S2C and make sure there is a link to the booty there, then direct to that so people can find it.
missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
Re: Habitat43 News! Sharing Information!
« Reply #1070 on: 2008 October 14, 21:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My 2 cents on this subject and fist I must confess that I am DEEPLY annoyed with MTS2 policy at least in the later 6 months because I consider HYPOCRIT. Itīs not true that everybody is called when uses pay itens on screenshots. Itīs a false statement. They really eventually pointed a pair of cases but the truth is the mods at MTS2 are not aware about pay itens. I know by experience because I used pay itens in some screenshots and nobody said a thing. The only time they said anything it was an iten made by Aikea Guinea - which was already free at that time - and THEY DIDNīT KNOW, even with me linking to the new Aikeaīs site. I had to talk with the mods about to get my item approved.

Also that observation about TSR in the upload page always bothered me because sounded like a supportive observation. Annoys me a so called free site that support TSR.

MTS2 is cliqueish, they approve anything from people that belongs to their clique and reject from people who donīt belong to their clique, no matter the quality and no matter if are pay itens in the screenshots. If you post questions at the support area they will copy and paste their rules page and lock the thread. Been there, done that and got 4 threads locked and HP telling me to shuddup.

Since MTS2 is a free site - despite the fact that not-so-retired Delphy is always asking for donations, what put me in doubt if we really could consider completely free because a lot of people donate but the site is 50% of the time offline and have a slow slow traffic - I am not going to extend myself too much but I think these points should be considerated specially for those who donate to the site. I donated once myself but I will never made this mistake again, in fact I removed all my stuff from MTS2 because I donīt like what I see going on there.

Iīm done.

There's so much bullshit in your post that I hardly know where to begin.

1)  People need to not put payshit in their screenshots in the first place!  This is not a new rule.  The mods don't have time to hold your hand through everything and shouldn't have to.  They're volunteers and don't get paid to put up with all that they do.  They also shouldn't be expected to know what all the payshit looks like.

2)  I don't know what observation about tsr on MtS2 you're talking about.

3)  MtS2 is cliqueish and always has been.  You might as well get over it because it won't change.

4)  If you were told to shut up, more than likely you deserved to be told to shut up.

5)  You don't seem to understand how much of a resource sucker MtS2 is and since I am not the owner of the site, I cannot show you.  All I can do is tell you that I have seen screenshots years ago of the bandwidth usage statistics and even then they were shocking.

6)  And while Delphy is semi-retired from the community now, he's done more for the community than you ever will and he doesn't even play the damn game!  You can suck it.

You can link to the booty now on S2C.  Smiley  There was a time where you couldn't.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
minionsRmine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: 2008 October 14, 21:59:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anybody read the public reply about the data sharing on the TSR front page? They just don't get it on it any level do they? They are supposedly running a business and then they write stuff like "all you haters can go back to your own forum" stuff. They should be polite and concerned. Not calling potential customers haters. They can't decide whether they are a fansite or a business I think and "the here to stay" comment pretty much says that they aren't taking money to support the site. They're doing it because they can.

Screenie, please.  I won't go back over there again.  Just cannot bring myself to do it. 

Is this what you're referring to?

Children suck on lollipops
The IRS likes to suck your money
Paysites just... suck.
ooglafina
ARR!

Never use a kerosene lamp as an ashtray.

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: 2008 October 14, 22:01:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah! You beat me to the screenshot! Blast!
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1073 on: 2008 October 14, 22:04:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I though there was something new! Thanks, though.

Does anyone have the original before the comments got deleted screenie? The one where they admit that five names were shared?  I did have it to make a macro, but I didn't keep the unadulterated version. 

missangelica
ARR!

Now even more ridiculous! (the bouffant edition)

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: 2008 October 14, 22:06:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone have the original before the comments got deleted screenie? The one where they admit that five names were shared?  I did have it to make a macro, but I didn't keep the unadulterated version. 

Nixy has it posted here.

defiantly- marked by defiance; boldly resisting.
definitely- decidedly: without question and beyond doubt

The difference.  You can has.  Learn it.  Love it.
minionsRmine
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: 2008 October 14, 22:07:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking I'd seen a screenshot like that around here somewhere. I think it may have been in the thread making fun of TSR by the use of macros. LOL

Children suck on lollipops
The IRS likes to suck your money
Paysites just... suck.
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: 2008 October 14, 22:12:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nixy has it posted here.

That is exactly what I wanted.  Thank you.  I couldn't remember which member had participated. 

Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: 2008 October 14, 22:30:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think if you are going to download from a freesite you should feel compelled within yourself to donate. Until recently I have always believed that people are all basically good,  I defininately didn't think that ordinary people were capable of the downright nastiness that I have witnessed.  I have always believed that if you are using a service that is good to you, you are responsible for the continuation of that service.  Loyality and support to someone who is giving so much of themselves just for your enjoyment of the game should be a big priority.  Probably my explaination is likely to have gone to pot. But I hope the basics of what I am trying to say can be understood.

When people started asking for money, bandwidth was very expensive.  That's how this was all allowed to take such a hold.  The bottom fell out of the advertising market online, and bandwidth costs were skyhigh.   That's not true anymore.  Reasonable bandwidth can be had from several places.   TSR started out as a free place, surviving on having lots of ads and selling web space to other sims creators.  I can remember going there in the days of Sims1 and clicking on advertising links, so they would get money for their ads.  No, no one asked me, I just felt it was the right thing to do.

What I'm going to say next probably won't make me very popular, but I think it's worth saying.  Bandwidth was the first culprit of the paysite war, but a good chunk of the blame for it taking off has to go to the community itself.  I think that a lot of paid artists may have gotten that way because they are just sick and tired of making stuff and not being appreciated.

Before I go any further, I will say that this site rocks in giving creators compliments and feedback.  We talk favorably about creators within this site and outside of this site.  But we represent a small portion of the Sims custom community.

How many people out there download and can't even be bothered to hit a "Thanks" button?  Never mind leave a comment, I'm talking about hitting a stupid button.  And if people do leave a comment, it's about as likely to be a complaint, or a request.  "I really love those walls.  Can you build me an entire neighborhood with a hundred or so  houses and lots all with custom walls, floors, furniture, windows, and doors? Can you have it done by tomorrow?  Kthksbi!"   or else, "I can't get these to work in my game!  In fact, I can't get ANY custom content to show up HELP ME!" 

I would say most people create for themselves and the love of creating.  That might drive the creation process, but what drives the urge to share?  I don't think it's money for any creator, at least not at first.  It's the thrill of knowing people will put your stuff in their game!  But, if you keep putting stuff up, and no one takes the time to thank you for it, to tell you how much they like it, or send you a screen shot of their simmies with your stuff, it can get rather tiring.  It's not hard to see where if money could be made, that might make you feel a little better, right or not.  You may not hear, "your stuff is wonderful!" but if someone is willing to pony up a few bucks for your stuff?  That tells you that you can't be all that bad.

TSR is a great example of how being paid is superfantastic.  Go and check it out sometimes if you can stomach it.  Look at how many "Thank yous" the FA's get, vs. the SA's, vs. the regular creators.  Look at how many comments, and the quality of the comments you get if you're an FA, vs. an SA or a regular creator. And if someone dares insult your stuff?  You've got your mindless minions who will happily tell any naysayer how YOU ARE THE GREATEST! and how MEAN THEY ARE for having the nerve to INSULT YOUR STUFF! 

We can't stop the sheeple at TSR,  from gooshing over the FA's.  We can't stop the Peggy and Rose Zombies from running around screaming how much they love Peggy and Rose.  But we can, as a community, learn to be a little more generous with our time.  We can learn to mash those thank you buttons, and how to leave a comment.    We can show more appreciation to free creators, and not just the well known ones. 

EDIT: Redundant comment is redundant.

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
ooglafina
ARR!

Never use a kerosene lamp as an ashtray.

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: 2008 October 14, 22:36:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think if you are going to download from a freesite you should feel compelled within yourself to donate. Until recently I have always believed that people are all basically good,  I defininately didn't think that ordinary people were capable of the downright nastiness that I have witnessed.  I have always believed that if you are using a service that is good to you, you are responsible for the continuation of that service.  Loyality and support to someone who is giving so much of themselves just for your enjoyment of the game should be a big priority.  Probably my explaination is likely to have gone to pot. But I hope the basics of what I am trying to say can be understood.

We can't stop the sheeple at TSR,  from gooshing over the FA's.  We can't stop the Peggy and Rose Zombies from running around screaming how much they love Peggy and Rose.  But we can, as a community, learn to be a little more generous with our time.  We can learn to mash those thank you buttons, and how to leave a comment.    We can show more appreciation to free creators, and not just the well known ones. 

Hear, hear!

I think the people at TSR have a very flimsy idea of what constitutes ethical behavior, since they think it's okay that they only shared 5 names. Big deal!
justso
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: 2008 October 14, 22:45:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very well put blackdwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 276 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: