PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 08:42:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  TSR Sharing your infomation!
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 276 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Sharing your infomation!  (Read 1073277 times)
Anouk
ARR!

Inactive

View Profile
Re: TSR Sharing your infomation!
« Reply #3660 on: 2009 February 23, 22:57:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait this is arguing? I see no blood. I see no dead bodies. I see no smashed bottles of rum covered in guts. Something went wrong here.

Inactive
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: 2009 February 23, 23:08:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

/snip

Again, if we're not allowed to mention looks, then we shouldn't be allowed to mention intelligence or lack thereof.   So, let's change the FAQ to reflect the new, kinder, more gentler PMBD.  The one that is completely PC. 

With all due respect, this is the kind of reasoning that drives me crazy.  There's a huge gap between "not criticising appearances" and being "completely PC."  It's not all or nothing. We have legitimate issues with TSR and other paysites. These issues aren't  based on what people look like.  What good does it do us to sidetrack the argument?

See, this is the type of reasoning that drives me crazy.  "If I make a request, it's sane.  If you do, you're overreacting."  It's simple.  If we make a rule saying that we can't insult people for a reason that bothers you, then rules have to be made to accomodate anyone else that might have a problem.  My problem is intelligence.  Why is catering to MY issue too much, but yours is only fair and just?  There is no rule that you have to love everything about any forum/place you visit.  But once you start with making little side rules, then where does it stop?  It stops when the place is perfectly PC.  Because trust me, no matter what rules you make, someone will say, "You know, that doesn't bother me, but THIS does." 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: 2009 February 23, 23:52:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would be a massive pita to quote and respond, so I'm just going to say that I agree with everything Darqstar is saying.

Historians talk about psychological motivations all the time. Very few historians are licensed psychologists. If we stopped talking about these motivations, if we pretended not to have any insight into anyone that wasn't inside a strictly delineated field, we would be archivists -- who are awesome but they're something else. We would get nowhere. In the real world, people dissect others' psychological motivations constantly. We can disagree about the legitimacy, applicability and interpretations of evidence, but claiming that what makes people tick is not a legitimate field of inquiry and discussion is just plain silly.

Are we supposed to pretend, here, that we don't know anything about psychology and human behavior? That we haven't seen patterns before? How precisely are we supposed to discuss anything at all if we can't talk about the whys and hows of it? I'm not big on insulting personal appearance, but that's because I see it as a pointless (and boring!) cul de sac.

Finally, I don't care about Atwa's or Thomas's feelings. I'm not a particularly nice person in the first place, but I am particularly UNnice to lying slimebuckets. Thomas is a con artist. He keeps important information about his business secret. If someone posted pictures of Bill Gates' house, I'd see that as totally and completely okay. It's not like someone's snooping around in Thomas' garbage, though actually that can also be a very legitimate line of inquiry. It's a good way to examine the stuff that smells.

Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: 2009 February 23, 23:56:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*small voice* I found my Kool-Aid stash... Smiley

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: 2009 February 24, 00:01:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Paden, wtf are you doing talking in a small voice and drinking Koolaid? Where's the roaring and the rum? And the cookies?

Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: 2009 February 24, 00:21:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Change of pace and being a goof now and then can be fun. Healthy for the soul and makes people wonder what in the hell you're really up to. Grin

Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3666 on: 2009 February 24, 00:26:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was at work, and might have missed something. 

There is a big difference to me in these two statements:

1.  This person is ugly and should be vilified because of it.

2. This person went out of their way to make an idiot of themselves.  Look at them. 

They are both commenting on appearance.  However, 1 is not OK to me and 2 is. 

I think what is going on is that some people at one point were talking about regular pics of people (one person, fine) and remarking upon their looks.  I said something about that not being cool.  This pic with the veils and crap is a different story.  It is ridiculous looking.  I think that is what Darq is referring to and if I am wrong, I am sure she will correct me. 

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
cookiepirate
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: 2009 February 24, 00:41:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For all Kool-Aid Lovers everywhere:

~ the happy little cookiepirate ~
Cookie Cannibal
MONDAYS - A terrible way to spend 1/7th of your life
kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: 2009 February 24, 01:03:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly Paleo.

It's one thing to go searching for someone's photo just to deride them about the way they look. It's an entirely different thing to take someone's public persona and throw it back in their face. Seeing as we're talking about those two people in particular, they consciously put themselves in the position they're in. It was not mandatory in any way. So sorry but as far as I'm concerned anything they themselves put out there is fair game.

I'm not above a cheap shot, and proud of it. So nuyuh!

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3669 on: 2009 February 24, 01:19:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not above a cheap shot, and proud of it. So nuyuh!

That is what I love about you.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: 2009 February 24, 01:23:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy Also a good point. I mean, I'm a model, and there's less-than-clothed pictures of me all over the tubes. Some have my real name on them, even though the contracts (veritable bricks of paper) I sign always state that my real name can never be shown on the same page, webpage etc. as a picture. And these are legally binding contracts, not some 'Don't be a dick, okay?' oral agreement. Some photographers don't care or forget and put up my name. I get pissed off, have stern talks with them, report them, and sometimes they remove my name and sometimes they don't. Even so, these pictures labaled with my name have been around for quite a while on the tubes, anyone with decent Google-fu skill can find them and never, not once, have I gotten in any sort of trouble.
This is obviously a problem, but not as much a problem as if you associate your online activities WITH your meatspaceness. NEVER do that. If your meatspace existence happens to be noteworthy enough to make it online, that's one thing, but as far as anyone there should be concerned, you are a Luddite and don't do this "Internet" thing.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: 2009 February 24, 01:50:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was at work, and might have missed something. 

There is a big difference to me in these two statements:

1.  This person is ugly and should be vilified because of it.

If that's the only issue we have, then yeah, that's wrong.  Again, the site isn't called "Atwa and Thomass are fucking ugly," but nor is it called, "Let's make fun of any and all ugly people!"  I know of a few people who make CC who have posted pictures and I've thought they were far from attractive.  However, this isn't the place to bring it up, because they aren't our enemy.  One even still posts stuff to TSR, (not an FA) but I won't bring it up because 1: it's irrelevant.  They are a tiny fish in a huge pond, no threat to the cause.  and 2: They didn't make the picture public.  I know about it, because I know them from another area of my internet life.  Again though, they really have little or nothing to do with destroying paysites, so to show off their picture is totally uncalled for. 

I also wouldn't like the idea that someone took a picture of someone else without their knowledge and brought it here.  For example, if Atwa had never posted a picture of herself in public, and someone who was friendly with her, went to visit her, took a picture and brought it here going, "See?  Not only is she batshit crazy, but she's ugly too!" I'd think that was wrong.  The difference then is that Atwa wouldn't have authorized the picture, she didn't want the picture taken.  In that case, then it's wrong.  But Atwa is notorious for posting pictures of herself, her messy apartment, her mail, her computer, her computer games, so on and so forth.  If she had a petrified dog turd on a shelf, she'd probably take pictures of that and show them around. 

2. This person went out of their way to make an idiot of themselves.  Look at them. 

Exactly.  Some of those pictures of Atwa are ridiculous. And yes, like it or not, she's ugly. And like it or not, she posted a picture of herself looking particularly ugly, for the sole purpose of getting attention.  It worked, it got her attention and some of it is negative.  Again, I don't care.  Again, she's ugly.  I'm not going to look at pictures of her that were posted and lie. 

They are both commenting on appearance.  However, 1 is not OK to me and 2 is. 

I think what is going on is that some people at one point were talking about regular pics of people (one person, fine) and remarking upon their looks.  I said something about that not being cool.  This pic with the veils and crap is a different story.  It is ridiculous looking.  I think that is what Darq is referring to and if I am wrong, I am sure she will correct me. 

No real need to correct, more to agree.  But again, I have no desire to only pick on Atwa because of her looks.  But then again, I don't feel that we need to deliberately not mention it if it comes up.  We all know what she looks like, and it's not because someone did her dirty and posted pictures of her without her knowing, she posted her own pictures.  Hell, she even took a picture of herself and sent it out on the 'net to prove she was scared that she was going to be harmed.  Again, might as well publish her phone number and say, "If you want to harass me, don't call this number!"  So yes, the fact that Atwa is ugly?  I'm not going to avoid mentioning it.  She is.  She's as ugly on the outside as she is on the inside. 

And she's mentally ill.  I don't know what mental illness she has, but she has some.  I can't be 100% sure, because I'm not a doctor, but I'd bet my paycheck she has at least one mental disorder that she's not being treated for.  Is it mean of me to say that?  Maybe.  But that's far from the meanest thing that's been said about her. 

If we have to get to the point where we have all these rules about what is or isn't okay to insult someone on, then I think it should be somewhere public.  It gets a little annoying to hear, "Oh, we made that a rule ages ago.  We just didn't bother updating the FAQ, go search, you'll find it."

If the rule is that important? Then it should be in the FAQ, or whoever wishes to enforce it should be able to link to where this rule was made.  Saying, "Oh, it's a rule, but I can't find it..."  is ridiculous.  What's to stop everyone then from making rules and claiming they're written down "someplace."

And yes, I did do a search. I searched a bunch of different things pertaining to "ugly" The only thing I found was an old thread about Lyric where someone said it wasn't nice to say she was ugly and a lot of folks saying, "So what if it isn't nice, we're not here to be nice!"  And Pescado saying that if you put pictures of yourself on the net, you should expect people to comment on them, and you take what you get.  I saw no steadfast, "We are not allowed to do that anymore."  If I missed it, I'm sorry, but it certainly wasn't in some "Easy search."

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
pinkyfriend
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: 2009 February 24, 02:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any lime kool-aid in there paden? I never can find lime kool-aid anymore  Sad

"The internet is like a petri dish...you drop one stupid spore in and it just grows like crazy" - my son
Eskimo Pie
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: 2009 February 24, 02:17:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* stops by for some kool aid*

When I lived in France there was a kool aid type drink. We bought it because it was cheap and we were poor, but you had to add a bag of sugar to it just to make it drinkable. We also use to mix it with vodka.I never knew if I was drunk or sugar high!  I am surprised I am not a diabetic now.

And I am with Nouk, it is not a fight until someone loses a body part!

For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain.
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: 2009 February 24, 02:24:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have lime, it's one of my faves!!

Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 276 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: