PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:44:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 110 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap  (Read 552733 times)
Paleoanth
ARR!

1337 |-|@X0r

View Profile WWW
Re: Free Content Pwns Paysite Crap
« Reply #1065 on: 2008 December 14, 02:45:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer simmy looking sims to photoskinned from hell sims.  Cjane for the win.

Get my Barn set at Calalilysims

Shakeshaft is a THIEF and Thomas is pathetic.
MamaKitty
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: 2008 December 14, 03:20:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The way she treated the people who wrote fan-fiction and made fan art about her characters.  They didn't make a profit off of the things they made, but IIRC she still brought lawsuits up against them (at the very least she raised a huge stink about the fanworks existance).  I just personally feel that that's a rather crappy thing to do to the fans of your work who are doing something to get more people interested in your work.  I know that I can't even begin to count the number of actual original works that fan-fiction or fan art led me to.

I hope that explaination makes some kind of sense.
CJane
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: 2008 December 14, 03:37:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer simmy looking sims to photoskinned from hell sims.  Cjane for the win.

Thanks Palemato, and thanks gang...as soon as S2A is back up he'll be available for download, along with Bella and the Cullen house. I haven't shown Bella yet...I'll have to mosey on over to another thread for that.

I know that Twilight is very popular with the 12's (and a little older), and not so much with the older groups, but after seeing the movie I was a little attached to the characters. Nothing as epic as Lestat, for sure, lol.
emethyst
Landlubber

Lurks and learns

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: 2008 December 14, 03:41:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't even like Robert Pattinson (who plays hawt Edward), but the paysite one made me choke. He should sue.

Bella looks freakin' OLD! What was that idiot thinking!

The second one looks great.

Twilight is overrated.
darma
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: 2008 December 14, 03:49:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to steer eveyone away from the subject( Wink) but how about this 'beauty'?
This is by TheNinthWave of TSR.

It may not be OMGEYEBLEACH, but consider this; it's not lingerie, it's swimwear. WTF??
Sheer swimsuit existed? Anyhoodles, this is the description:
"Shiny, metallic swimwear in 3 types: One Piece, Sheer Midriff, and Bikini.No expansion packs, stuff packs, or meshes required."
Um, not sure about shiny, not sure about metallic... oh wait, is it just me or that texture a lot like tinfoil?
mmm- I do love me some good tinfoil action while I swim Roll Eyes just the thought of that makes my skin sting, literally...

I usually get my clothes at MTS2, and try as I might I couldn't find anything that was distasteful to that level...
So my comparison is not really that close. (Sorry, folks.) I also feel a little cheap for using teen swimwear, but it's an actual proper metallic, and I wanted to show that point.
If anyone can find a better match for this, I would greatly appreciate Kiss

This is by Annabel, found on MTS2. (also featured in WNF aspiration gift of May according to post)
There are a few other colours but I chose the silver one just for comparison, and as we see here  it's ACTUALLY shiny and metallic, even if it's just the top.
*If Annabel is reading this, an apology for comparing your hard work to...whatever the top thing is, is in due oder, methinks....sorry Annabel*

I also find it intersting, that the TSR craptastic was posted on Nov. 30th, while Annabel had her's featured in WNF's May aspiration set;
meaning that it was done much earlier then June 3rd, the date of the post from MTS.
While the two examples are clearly very different, I believe there is no excuse for the immense gap in quality.. Especially if the superior set is older!

In case if anyone's interested, this is the link to the swimsuit:
http://linna.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=287924

Edited, due to Keyboard brokieness.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 14, 03:56:39 by darma » Logged
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1070 on: 2008 December 14, 04:00:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thing is, Anne Rice is not the first, nor the last to put the hammer down on fanfics....Anne McCaffery was really bad about it too - I suspect its not the authors themselves either, but their agents.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
pinkyfriend
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: 2008 December 14, 04:17:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The bikini top on Annabel's is really pretty. I don't have that so thanks for the link!

"The internet is like a petri dish...you drop one stupid spore in and it just grows like crazy" - my son
MamaKitty
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: 2008 December 14, 04:28:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know.  It's pretty disheartening really.  A lot of the good quality new or younger generation of writers I've seen all post on the internet.  Most of them start with fanfiction to to build up a reputation of being able to write well.  I've looked into trying to get some of my work published before. The publishing companies won't even talk to you unless you have an agent; and the agents want to charge you outragious amounts to even look at your work.  At least this has been the case where ever I've been able to find.  Talent comes in a poor second in the money game.

Speaking of talent, the first thought that crossed my mind on those swimsuits was tinfoil.  Hey didn't Devilfish have a hat to match them that she posted in another thread?
Skoria_Bay
ARR!

Give me a tall ship and star to sail her by

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: 2008 December 14, 04:31:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thing is, Anne Rice is not the first, nor the last to put the hammer down on fanfics....Anne McCaffery was really bad about it too - I suspect its not the authors themselves either, but their agents.

I was a member of a FanFiction writing group for Anne McCaffery's "Dragonrider" series. We did have official sanction from Anne herself. The groups she mainly "stomped" on were the 12's who wanted "pink or purple" dragons. And yes, it came from her agents and legal staff.

Also, I recently read that Anne Rice is now writing Christian fiction as she has recently turned back to her past upbringing. I found one time on MTS2 a really nice set of pictures that were done as original art by someone of Lastat and Louis. They were based on the "Lady in Red" picture. I downloaded them, but have never put them in my game. It was lovely original art.

And as for those bathing suits.... what are they wearing? Chain mail?

Pescado: I will THROW THEM IN A VAT OF BOILING SHARKS!
mustluvcatz: So, what good would a vat of boiling sharks do? I mean, wouldn't the sharks be dead?
Pescado: SILENCE!
dusdeedawn
Pirate

Baldercrap.

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: 2008 December 14, 04:46:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The groups she mainly "stomped" on were the 12's who wanted "pink or purple" dragons.

Now, this right here is why I don't like fan fiction. Pink or purple dragons?  Roll Eyes There is always someone to come along and totally screw things up. I know, I know, that doesn't mean that the ones who don't screw it up should suffer, but, IMO, yes it does. Don't let anyone do it and there's no chance anyone will do it wrong. I love books. I adore them. I think fans can screw them all up. The fans have almost fucked Harry Potter up for me, and I've never even read any fan fiction for that. I'm not going to be assed to read any fan fiction for Anne McCaffrey either. Frankly, I can barely bring myself to read the ones her and her son write these days. And it's her world. Hers. I don't believe that by reading it, it's suddenly mine. I'm a visitor. A non-participle. And if you ask me, so is everyone else.

Sorry, all. I just had to get that off my chest.

*Modified for grammatical error*
« Last Edit: 2008 December 14, 05:18:14 by dusdeedawn » Logged

Shits and giggles? It looks like shit and we giggle. - Paden
MamaKitty
Landlubber

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: 2008 December 14, 05:09:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dont know, I guess they just miss Barney or something.  The writers who can take someone elses characters or setting and portray it in an accurate and/or believable fashion really have a good chance at a future though.  Again this is only my personal opinion.  Genre's like writing for AD&D novels, Star Trek, Star Wars, Batman and such like can use writers like that.  And in a lot of cases fanfiction writers are doing it for practice.  But I do agree there's a lot of fanfiction thats totaly fubared.  Just have to be careful what you read.  Or you'll be needing eyebleach.
heartless
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: 2008 December 14, 05:11:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of them start with fanfiction to to build up a reputation of being able to write well.

I wouldn't know anything about fan fiction except for band fiction, which I have written before. While what I wrote was not perfect by any means, it did get me more interested in writing fiction of any kind (for the record though, they weren't Mary Sues, don't worry  Cheesy). Unfortunately, while I did not ever try to upload anything I wrote until I thought the writing was good enough for someone else to read, a lot of other people upload things that need a lot of work, sometimes a completely new plot, to be a decent read. But if they all did that I wouldn't have any stories to laugh about anymore.

Aw, come on! No love for my husband, Count Orlock?

Isn't he much cuter than Edward?  Tongue
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: 2008 December 14, 05:24:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He's a way better vampire than Edward. As I've said, I hate emo vampires. A vampire is a monster who sucks your blood and kills you, damn it, not some stupid "bad boy" who can be "rescued" by the love of a 14 year old girl if she's pretty enough Roll Eyes.

Immortelle
ARR!

Thou damned and luxurious mountain goat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1078 on: 2008 December 14, 06:01:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, Mamakitty, we live in a world that is about not what you know but who you know.  Especially if you're a writer.  The image of the reclusive writer is a fallacy.  Even Rowling knew someone who knew someone.  Its just how it works in the art world.  It doesn't necessarily matter how good your art is.  You can be out there showing it to all and sundry, but until a Someone Important comes along and sees it, the best you can ever hope to be is some hack for a big company.  Same with music, etc.  You have you get yourself out there, network a little.  Use your people skills, and if you don't have some, get some.  Then, perhaps, if you really are any good, you'll begin to make some headway.  Otherwise, you're just another one of the worlds many struggling artists.

My Sims 3 blog --> http://transimvaniaremixed.blogspot.com (no sparklies, I promise!)
brainiac
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: 2008 December 14, 06:28:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I despise Twilight, and have fantasies of setting Edward's sparkly ass on fire, and even I have to feel bad for what Chaz has done to the guy. Yeesh.

CJane's Ed, on the other hand, is absolutely lovely Smiley

This is a sig.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 110 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: