PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 09:32:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5279 Members
Latest Member: ayyverty
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Pescado, your help is needed!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pescado, your help is needed!  (Read 18774 times)
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
Re: Pescado, your help is needed!
« Reply #30 on: 2008 July 01, 18:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

new site. again.  http://the-sas.org/smf/index.php

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008 July 01, 21:04:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that your stop gap has been fucked over, it is pretty clear you're getting DNS attacks. Someone doesn't like you, and too many people have backdoor access. Time to close up the holes so Sublime Sims and Calalily Sims don't die, and bail.

You should have stayed at SMBD. Pescado doesn't let shit like this happen.

Hecubus, don't make this an issue about SMBD luv.. This was purely and simply a case of Siteground fucked up and didn't reregister Skadi's domain name. We HAVE moved to Dita's space in the short term with the new domain name and we will be looking to ask for Pescado's help soon. But we need to get the name sorted out and the way the vote is going among the guys, it won't be SMBD. And SAS is not SMBD, it's a different forum, a different site, comes from a different perspective and has a different membership.

My home sites are  http://www.sublimesims.net/ and
Reclaim Your Game http://reclaimyourgame.com/
chemistrycourtney
Pirate

Perhaps I have.... a concordance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2008 July 01, 21:18:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's a matter of making it about SMBD, Saraswati. (do correct me if I'm wrong, Hec.)  I think it was more a Pescado doesn't so much get hacked. Like it or not, that's just a truth. 

Playing in the GIMP is my favorite thing.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 July 01, 21:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree on that.. absolutely. He's very good at the security which is why we've been talking to him about hosting for about a week now. But there are things we need to sort out first before we look at this.. like what we're called. The site will be fine on Dita's space with regular backups for a week or two while we work out the new format and stuff.

Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 July 02, 04:50:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You haven't even been hacked, you're simply dealing with an inept and dodgy hosting provider stacked on top of the DNS issues because you foolishly registered your DNS through the same place as your webhost. This is bad! Never do this! Webhosting services occasionally decide for some reason that you are objectionable to them and decide to seize your site. If your DNS is seperate from them, they can only seize the server data. You can then just upload backups to a new server elsewhere, and repoint the DNS. Back up and running, low-fuss. If your DNS is with them also, they've gotten a clean sweep and can obliterate your presence in one swoop. Without the DNS, you don't have a good way of getting your users to see SOMETHING, so they'd have no way of knowing where to go next.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008 July 02, 06:53:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is an honest question... Pescado, how do you get around those hosts that go "I already have my domain name" and try to get you to transfer the domain?

Every single host I've been with seems to try to wangle this, which is why I'm honestly asking..

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 July 02, 15:39:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tell them "No"? Bottom line, they want your money. If you tell them that you won't switch the domain, and that if that's something they need you to do they can't service you, then you guess they just can't service you...they'll cave.

Stuff at MTS2, in my 4shared folder, and MATY/Peasantry

LiveJournal w/ story crap
Hecubus
Notorious Pirate

Resident Menstruatrix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2008 July 02, 16:05:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess it seemed like you lost a couple of domains in the process there, plus I know there's been some unrest among the natives, so it seemed like a situation ripe for a DoS attack to me.

Regarding SMBD - I find it funny that securom.mustbedestroyed bothers people when paysites.mustbedestroyed doesn't.

And...yeah, Pescado's tops on security, both interwebs and otherwise. I can't imagine anyone breaking down his doors.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

"There's no such thing as a tasteful drag queen." -  Project RunGay

FAQ
glasscigarette
ARR!

El que calla, otorga.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 July 02, 16:12:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose that means he hasn't found the nest I built in his ceiling yet, then?

Aw, dammit.

I can has vagina dentata plz?
Proud member of the Official Coconut Fan Club!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 July 02, 17:07:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've really got to sleep more at night, I thought that you were going to say something about the nest you made in his beard!

The tea is not fit to drink; it's been stewed and is old.
Mheyin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 July 02, 19:14:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That reminds me of that one Famliy Guy episode where a nest of endangered baby birds nested in Peter's beard. Now I have the image in my head of Pescado with baby birds poking out of his beard and him feeding them...

Yo-ho, haul together,
Hoist the colors high!
Heave-ho, thieves and beggars,
Never say we die!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 July 02, 19:19:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I have the image in my head of Pescado with baby birds poking out of his beard and him feeding them...

To his cat(s).  Cheesy

Mheyin
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 July 02, 19:23:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I have the image in my head of Pescado with baby birds poking out of his beard and him feeding them...

To his cat(s).  Cheesy

To his cats..... Paden and Pooki??  Shocked

Yo-ho, haul together,
Hoist the colors high!
Heave-ho, thieves and beggars,
Never say we die!
Pottymouth
Paden
ARR!

Great Cat of no mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2008 July 02, 19:55:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking more the ones he keeps at the bunker, Pooki and I are free range and I'm kinda big to just be called a cat...

Saraswati
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 July 02, 21:21:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess it seemed like you lost a couple of domains in the process there, plus I know there's been some unrest among the natives, so it seemed like a situation ripe for a DoS attack to me.

Regarding SMBD - I find it funny that securom.mustbedestroyed bothers people when paysites.mustbedestroyed doesn't.

And...yeah, Pescado's tops on security, both interwebs and otherwise. I can't imagine anyone breaking down his doors.

Hey Luv.. well, no because SAS, and Cala's site is a subdomain that hangs off Sublime.. But you are 100 percent correct, we need to be careful and at the very least make sure we're backing the site up regularly.. I'm backing the whole site up once a night and getting it on my pc. We need to start with some reasonable caution, not drop the ball and we'll sort the rest out from there.

Actually the people who have an issue with it are usually people who wouldn't visit here.. they say it has "associations" and it needs to be bipartisan..(this obviously doesn't include me) But that's not what's deciding the vote at the moment. At some point the guys who're working on this issue regularly realised that DRM's are a bigger issue than just Securom, and the thought that is giving us nightmares is having EA remove Securom from everyone's games just to go for something worse. Basically they want a name that doesn't have the word "securom" in it. The current winner of the vote has drm in it instead..

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: