PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 23:43:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)
0 Members and 7 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 194 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)  (Read 877180 times)
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
Re: Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)
« Reply #1560 on: 2008 December 28, 16:59:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm loving those walls - and I don't like walls. 

Thanks.  I'm debating if I want to put a kickplate and/or crown molding too.  The only problem with those is that they really almost dictate what color windows people can use once it's done.  Most people have their window trim painted the same color as their kick and crown.  Someday, Maxis will figure out that what color the outside of the windows are, often has nothing to do with what the inside of their windows are, and there will be two different textures to recolor, one for inside and one for outside. 

I have to agree here - the mesh is a doddle - putting the mesh into a package and doing it right is an absolute trial.  First time I did it I tried 17 times to get it right.  And the problem a lot of the time is that nothing is really explained well - you've got the "downloading for fracking idiots" and then it moves onto Pescadoean level.  I wish there was something that sort of talked about the inbetween stages. 

I've made a couple meshes.  Wall switches were one, then I made a "sculpture" by basically sinking three balls together and cloning it on the Garden gnome, so my Sims kept stealing them from each other.  I also made a table once, using a tutorial.  Again though, I don't know if I'd be much good at the actual meshing part.  I suspect that might cause me trouble, but it's sort of like trying to make a sand castle in a snow storm.   First I have to prep just to be outside in the snow.  Once I'm done prepping, I'm just frustrated, so I end up trying to get the castle made as quickly as possible.

Someone suggested I should just convert meshes for awhile.  You know what I mean, find meshes and just keep trying to import and export them into the game, just to get used to that.  Or else, make something really simple, like packing cartons, just to get to the point where all the fiddly stuff that goes into just getting the mesh into the game becomes second nature.  But the problem with that is, who wants to spend hours of work on something that really isn't yours, or else, will have limited to no use in the game? 

I haven't mentioned it, but I do like that bed Calalily and I'm really fascinated by the way you're trying to make it work. Custom beds are a pain in the ass most of the time and rarely look good, unless they're a straight-forward clone of the Maxis beds. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1561 on: 2008 December 28, 17:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks.  I'm debating if I want to put a kickplate and/or crown molding too. 

Couldn't hurt to include neutral colours. Smiley

I've made a couple meshes.  Wall switches were one, then I made a "sculpture" by basically sinking three balls together and cloning it on the Garden gnome, so my Sims kept stealing them from each other.  I also made a table once, using a tutorial.  Again though, I don't know if I'd be much good at the actual meshing part. 

I think certain real life skills translate well - like if you have the ability to break things down into their component parts, this is a good meshing skill. 

Someone suggested I should just convert meshes for awhile.  You know what I mean, find meshes and just keep trying to import and export them into the game, just to get used to that.

I think with the existing tutorials, it's a matter of banging your head against the wall following the steps blindly until you understand it. Post-thesis I might make a simplified version (that is my tutes make any sense to people) because the existing tutes didn't have enough explanation for me as to why we do things - the minutae they're great at, but the reason why we replace both the guids is lost in there - just replace them dammit.  Most of the time I have to redo it, but the import/export is the easiest bit for me now. Understanding how it works is difficult, and really not explained well.

Or else, make something really simple, like packing cartons, just to get to the point where all the fiddly stuff that goes into just getting the mesh into the game becomes second nature.  But the problem with that is, who wants to spend hours of work on something that really isn't yours, or else, will have limited to no use in the game? 

Definately. I tried 17 times because the morgue bed (this was my second mesh - I'm not foolishly ambitious - no Tongue ) was something really cool I wanted for me. Using someone else's stuff or making stuff you're not going to use is kind of self defeating - in order to get through the difficult stuff you have to have a drive to do it.   

I haven't mentioned it, but I do like that bed Calalily and I'm really fascinated by the way you're trying to make it work. Custom beds are a pain in the ass most of the time and rarely look good, unless they're a straight-forward clone of the Maxis beds. 

I did a bit of canvassing (my luck they were discussing/ranting about custom beds at SimsCave) so I tried to work around it. I've gotten a lot more considerate of the way things can be made to be something else since Hecubus asked for the wall partition windows that go down with the walls.  Now no package is safe. Tongue

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
neriana
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: 2008 December 28, 17:52:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Calalily, a new tutorial from you would be awesome. I've never found one that explains the stuffs in a way I can understand. If I don't know why I'm doing something, I usually can't remember to do it.

calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1563 on: 2008 December 28, 18:05:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Calalily, a new tutorial from you would be awesome. I've never found one that explains the stuffs in a way I can understand. If I don't know why I'm doing something, I usually can't remember to do it.

Yay! If at least one person reads it, it will be worth it.  Cheesy Probably mid January when I finish my current draft and hand it in. Smiley

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: 2008 December 28, 18:14:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I too, would love to see a tutorial by you, Calalily.  Who knows, it might actually teach me something!  Grin

Missbonbon
ARR!

Bonbons... Sally Bonbons

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: 2008 December 28, 19:14:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait! The top of the bed is decorative!? That is fantastic! I thought it was all one piece since you've only shown pictures of it on that frame.  Tongue Not to mention more pieces!? I really hope that when you update with the bed your signature will reflect it because I'm sure my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy for continually having your website open.

And darqstar- I love those floors and walls! Especially the detail in the very first picture with the tiny white veins sprawled throughout the wall. Very lovely. I hope there will be a lime green color though.  Grin

"Why don't you take your sisters barbie and shove it sideways up your rectum.  Then send Ken to rescue her."- Soggyfox
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1566 on: 2008 December 28, 19:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait! The top of the bed is decorative!? That is fantastic! I thought it was all one piece since you've only shown pictures of it on that frame.  Tongue Not to mention more pieces!? I really hope that when you update with the bed your signature will reflect it because I'm sure my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy for continually having your website open.

I'm glad you like it - I was most worried you wouldn't, and you were the inspiration. Smiley I found out in Milkshape it also fits another bed frame - the really rich sleigh looking Maxis one the name of which escapes me.  There are 12 new meshes, so that it can co-ordinate, and because I am weak, there are 6 recolours of the set.  And I promise - here is the first place I change - I get like 60% of my referrals from here. Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

EmilyTwitch
Mentally Retarded
ARR!

is still in 12-school...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1567 on: 2008 December 28, 20:01:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Someday, Maxis will figure out that what color the outside of the windows are, often has nothing to do with what the inside of their windows are, and there will be two different textures to recolor, one for inside and one for outside. 

And there shall be much rejoicing. (From me, anyway. I frickin HATE having to plan a room around a window, especially if I'm using the window because it looks good from the OUTSIDE.)

Oh look, I get a speshul title. Thanks Pescado.
Artwork?
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: 2008 December 28, 20:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Someday, Maxis will figure out that what color the outside of the windows are, often has nothing to do with what the inside of their windows are, and there will be two different textures to recolor, one for inside and one for outside. 

And there shall be much rejoicing. (From me, anyway. I frickin HATE having to plan a room around a window, especially if I'm using the window because it looks good from the OUTSIDE.)

Ooo, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this! That's one of my pet peeves that I end up having to "do" a whole house around the windows.  I would understand if the inner sash was white, because that's usually how vinyl replacement windows work, but the outer trim, the wooden sill and the framework around it are usually painted to match crow/kick molding. 

Seasons had windows with two separate parts for inside, outside.  I haven't tried any recoloring on those.  I should, because that might end up being the only way I can have windows that work with any decor.  But I have a lot of custom made windows and such, that I just love.  I hate the idea of restricting myself.

Maybe Maxis will learn.  But I won't hold my breath.

Missbonbon
ARR!

Bonbons... Sally Bonbons

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: 2008 December 28, 20:20:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad you like it - I was most worried you wouldn't, and you were the inspiration. Smiley

Kiss
I found out in Milkshape it also fits another bed frame - the really rich sleigh looking Maxis one the name of which escapes me.  There are 12 new meshes, so that it can co-ordinate, and because I am weak, there are 6 recolours of the set.  And I promise - here is the first place I change - I get like 60% of my referrals from here. Cheesy

! That is awesome because I love that bed frame! That one and the seasons four post bed. those are probably the only EAxis double bed meshes I ever use. 12 new meshes!? Now I am curious as to what it comes with. So far I father the bed frame, bed deco, side tables, lamps you showed in ask a pirate, and possible a dresser. But that only equals to 5. I am curious indeed.

I think until you get that bed posted my "!?" keys should be removed for fear they are being over used and abused.  Wink

"Why don't you take your sisters barbie and shove it sideways up your rectum.  Then send Ken to rescue her."- Soggyfox
mustluvcatz
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: 2008 December 28, 21:14:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

About windows, my only real gripe is that it's hard to find whites that match each other. If you find one you like, 9 times out of 10 it's either bright or dirty white and anything you want to use with it is the opposite.
Wood tones though? As long as they're close enough, it doesn't bother me. To me everything matching perfectly looks too "interior designer" and I don't like that perfect look. There's nothing wrong with that look, I just don't like it. I like things to look comfy and lived with/in...to me NON-perfectly matched wood says that.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: 2008 December 28, 23:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never had a problem with whites matching.  They're usually close enough to the white trim.  Wood though, yeah, it doesn't have to match perfectly.  Rarely do wood tones ever match perfectly in the real world, so in my Sims world, that works.

But, I like to make custom color kick and crown moldings.  Colored wainscoting too.  I've lived in a few old houses where the wainscoting was so badly marred and water stained  that the only thing I could do was paint it.   In that case, I would always paint around the window in the same color as the trim. 

Again though, the big issue will always be wondering why Maxis never double sided the windows so they could be made in two different colors, one for inside, one for outside.  I wondered before if this was impossible (my knowledge of meshing and wrapping is pretty limited) but when Seasons came out, and it had two different textures, that told me it could be done.  Yet, it seems that those are the only windows that do it. 

kenmtl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: 2008 December 28, 23:51:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You might want to checkout Inge's recessed window series. They're really only good for brick or stone buildings because of the arches, however you might find them interesting. I haven't recoloured any yet (they're on my list), but I looked at the textures and it appears  possible to do two colours.

And yes I agree with with you, it's a peeve of mine also. Well that and having to expand then shrink lots in order to build closer to the sidewalk. Oh ya and that freaking strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street that gives me a hassle in apts.

Like I said I haven't worked with them yet but the inside and outside are different, and the texture is divided in two so it should be possible.

I'm in ur forums propagating ur discussions
Like free shit? Me too. Get it here!
Owl
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: 2008 December 29, 00:16:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again though, the big issue will always be wondering why Maxis never double sided the windows so they could be made in two different colors, one for inside, one for outside.

It probably comes down to pure laziness.
Devilfish
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1574 on: 2008 December 29, 00:31:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made a little Christmas gift for my blog, I thought I'd share. It's not much but I wanted to do something. Cheesy
http://simsinspace.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: 2008 December 29, 00:43:08 by Devilfish » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 194 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: