PMBD PMBD
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 06:19:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
138712 Posts in 1637 Topics by 5282 Members
Latest Member: AlexanderPistoletov
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  PMBD
|-+  The Pirate Ship
| |-+  ARR!
| | |-+  Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 194 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)  (Read 877420 times)
SnarkyShark
ARR!

View Profile
Re: Look at what I made and om nom nom it! (Post your creations pt. 2)
« Reply #1545 on: 2008 December 28, 03:51:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cala, both the bed mesh and it's texture are amazing. I've been seeing so many look-a-like beds recently that yours is a really cool change of pace. Neat.

edit - I'd say keep the pillows visible but would happily defer to the majority opinion.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 28, 04:07:55 by SnarkyShark » Logged
calalily
ARR!

Belili, wife of Ningishzida - or Kali for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1546 on: 2008 December 28, 05:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Calalily and anouk,  great work. I envy you, as I cant even draw stick figures with a pencil on paper Cry

I mostly suck at drawing - sculpture was my dealie. Meshing is about maths, which I excel at. Tongue

CALA... must have bed! So awesome! You did a great job, I don't really like dissapearing stuff, it's a tad more annoying than sims going through it... just because your bed is gorgeous and I want to admire it at all times heh.
Smiley

Cala, both the bed mesh and it's texture are amazing. I've been seeing so many look-a-like beds recently that yours is a really cool change of pace. Neat.

edit - I'd say keep the pillows visible but would happily defer to the majority opinion.

Well, I can make two - it's a relatively easy thing.  That way people can choose what they want. Cheesy I look forward to someone not-me doing recolours. I hate bloody recolours.

Is that matching tables I spot!  Shocked I am very excited over this.

Wait there's more. Tongue It has a collection file and all. Cheesy

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
keirra
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: 2008 December 28, 05:59:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

keirra waits patiently for Cala's pretty bedroom set

I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I work there and don't want to see you every day.
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1548 on: 2008 December 28, 06:03:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here.  I -can- draw and paint, but i was a scuplture major, not a drawing major, or painting.

And I look forward to this as well.  I don't usually do beds that aren't using maxis bedding, but I can't resist it.

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
EmilyTwitch
Mentally Retarded
ARR!

is still in 12-school...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1549 on: 2008 December 28, 07:16:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meshing is about maths, which I excel at.

So THAT'S why I suck. Stupid numbers...

Oh look, I get a speshul title. Thanks Pescado.
Artwork?
naceygirl
ARR!

Pirate Petrillo on the High Seas!

View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: 2008 December 28, 12:34:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meshing is about maths, which I excel at.

Dude, tell me about it.  I'm great with painting things but horrible with maths.  So a mesher I shall never be, and believe me, I've *tried*.  If I could mesh I would have meshed all the weird outfits for the main characters of Xena by now.  The amount of time I've been stuck on Joxer's helmet is obscene.  YEARS, I tell you.  But I could texture that son-of-a-bitch thing in a night and it'd look fuckin' hot.

I just stick to retro make-up nobody else has made yet.  (Speaking of which, my next project shall be Nina Hagen).

Awesims: My Sims 2 blog with stories, downloads and CC recommendations.
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: 2008 December 28, 12:43:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't mesh OR texture, but I can still tell you exactly how you're DOING IT WRONG, as you morons couldn't put together the file to save your own lives. Why else would you put THREE COPIES OF THE EXACT SAME TEXTURE into the file when ONE would have been plenty, resulting in a file over 3x the size? However, I have absolutely no skills of an artist, so while I can perform surgically precise copypasta, actually creating any kind of art is right out.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1552 on: 2008 December 28, 13:21:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I look forward to this as well.  I don't usually do beds that aren't using maxis bedding, but I can't resist it.

Well I compromised about that - I made the bed (so that low poly peoples can enjoy sans bedding, and bedding peoples can haz animations) and then the bedding mesh is deco over the top. The one that fades is based on that ceiling airplane (I just totally lucked into the fade) and the other needs move objects on as I suck at SimPE speak.  The advantage is with deco that it might (and I say might) fit other beds, and I can mesh a new set relatively easily - a quick update to go with that bedding as such (as can others).

Yeah - I was lucky enough to have a dad with a passion for maths.  At least you didn't have to be one of the two girls in the advanced maths class. Tongue

Dude, tell me about it.  I'm great with painting things but horrible with maths.  So a mesher I shall never be, and believe me, I've *tried*. 

While I hate texturing and am extremely lazy about it.  If not for mando's prodding and my own pride I would have used floodfill. Cheesy

I can't mesh OR texture, but I can still tell you exactly how you're DOING IT WRONG, as you morons couldn't put together the file to save your own lives. Why else would you put THREE COPIES OF THE EXACT SAME TEXTURE into the file when ONE would have been plenty, resulting in a file over 3x the size? However, I have absolutely no skills of an artist, so while I can perform surgically precise copypasta, actually creating any kind of art is right out.

You're absolutely right - I worry sometimes that my files are bigger than they need be.  But, I've searched some of Pescado's posts, and it's always nebulous rantings about file bloat.  As I suck at SimPE knowings, more precise information of "delete the ______*insert bit here*_________" would be lovely.  Kiss

Visit Calalilysims

To Hotel - never a problem - and I knew it would be a valid thing. Kiss My love to you too - come find me one day. Cheesy
eternal_darkness
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: 2008 December 28, 13:38:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suck at math too Sad. Had it not been for Verbal and Writing on the SAT, I probably wouldn't have been able to go to college.

The World Will Look Up and Shout, “Save Us!” And I’ll Look Down and Whisper, “No.”
SoggyFox
ARR!

Reyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1554 on: 2008 December 28, 14:48:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm good at math, even better at reading comprehension/verbal, and english.  Got a 700 on my Verbal, a 560 on my Math and a 64? on the Standard Written English.  Its been a -very- long time though.

And okay, so basically, the coverlet is deco and not actually the bed.  That's cool Smiley

"Try diplomacy, you can always invade them later." Pescado
www.thestormradio.com
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: 2008 December 28, 15:23:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Math isn't my real problem with meshing.  I can't get past the nine million steps needed to get before the meshing even begins. 

Math can be needed for textures too.  I often end up using math to plot floors.  I know that sounds stupid, but I like to "make" floors.  Find a piece of wood on the net, and carve it into different strips of wood, and put them together to make a floor.  Lately, I've been trying to do that with marble too.  Yes, I could make a simple square pattern, or a seamless one, but I like different patterns for floors, and some involve carving things up into different sizes and putting them together.  It's like making a jigsaw puzzle. 

It always bothered me that floors and wall are often considered amateur in the world of Sims content.  They might be simple to create, but like anything else, walls can be good or bad, quickly made, or carefully made.

I've been making some floors lately, using a pattern called "Hopscotch," if anyone is interested:

This is a piece of gold marble I found on the net, that I carved up into the hopscotch pattern. 

This is the same style of floor, using a piece of peach marble instead, and the pattern made smaller.  Since I made these on the idea of putting them in a bathroom, I tried them with some bathroom fixtures.

These are the walls I've been making, to go with the floor. 

I'll probably end up doing some recoloring, and make a real bathroom set out of it.  *shrugs*  I'm just trying to decide if I want to use Maxis stuff or custom meshes made by others.  I like the idea of using Maxis stuff, the less "new" meshes I can put into my game, the better it runs, but everyone seems to prefer custom meshes.  I always figured everyone in the world must have a far better computer than I have.   Even my new one begins to balk when I get too crazy with the high poly meshes.

However, I just had to take one more picture:

Because we all know, making everything reflective makes it better!  See?  I did learn something at TSR.  Moar Reflective walls and floors!  Even if they slow the hell out of your game!

Let me know what you think.  Even if you hate them, that's cool.  I've already found mulitiple things I don't like about them, the gold floor in particular.  I used one piece that is too recongizable, so it makes it too obvious that the patter is simply a repeating one. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
crunk
ARR!

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: 2008 December 28, 15:27:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those are beautiful. I think they would go well with the Kitchen and Bath stuff- especially the wood counters. I've been inspired to work more on tiles lately - maybe I can get something decent out! Smiley
Pescado
Pirate King

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: 2008 December 28, 15:32:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Math isn't my real problem with meshing.  I can't get past the nine million steps needed to get before the meshing even begins.
Math isn't my problem either. It's just that I don't really understand any form of art more complex than copypasta or floodfill. The entire concept of "shading" eludes me utterly. I know it when I see it, but I have no method of DEFINING it for replication. If someone could explain it in terms of math, I would probably actually get it. But then, if that were true, the computer could do it.

Give a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Darqstar
ARR!

Somehow Involved.

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: 2008 December 28, 15:46:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those are beautiful. I think they would go well with the Kitchen and Bath stuff- especially the wood counters. I've been inspired to work more on tiles lately - maybe I can get something decent out! Smiley

Thank you. I'll have to try them with those sets and see how they look.

Math isn't my problem either. It's just that I don't really understand any form of art more complex than copypasta or floodfill. The entire concept of "shading" eludes me utterly. I know it when I see it, but I have no method of DEFINING it for replication. If someone could explain it in terms of math, I would probably actually get it. But then, if that were true, the computer could do it.

Actually, computers can do it to a degree.  The shading I used in the floors involves buttonizing and dropshadows, which are built into my graphics program.  I can shade by hand, I've done it several times, but why make it harder than it has to be? 

I used to hate shading too, until I just broke down a wainscoating in PSP one day, and realized that all the nifty little shaded bits and peices could be easily duplicated by making colors slightly darker or lighter than the original.  On my old computer, I had all Maxis trim for walls broken down into formulas, "Draw this many lines using color X" Draw this many lines using color X + 1."   Of all the stuff I lost on my old computer, I regret those formulas the most.  I really should have printed them out at some point and saved them.   

Edit: for clarification.  A shade is not a color. 

Now with the POWAH to ruin the internet!
calalily
ARR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1559 on: 2008 December 28, 16:10:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm loving those walls - and I don't like walls. 

I have to agree here - the mesh is a doddle - putting the mesh into a package and doing it right is an absolute trial.  First time I did it I tried 17 times to get it right.  And the problem a lot of the time is that nothing is really explained well - you've got the "downloading for fracking idiots" and then it moves onto Pescadoean level.  I wish there was something that sort of talked about the inbetween stages. 

Visit Calalilysims

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 194 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: